Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh Dobbs

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Josh Dobbs

its one thing to take a QB over a higher ranked pos player of need because for no other reason than he is a QB and the important's of the position ...

BUT.......

when he is probably the 3rd best QB left on the board I think its a clear reach

Kayaa and Peterman still on board and you take Dobbs I must wonder what they are looking at other than ability to extend plays and him being smart ..

the fact is he is just not an accurate QB and that is high ( or should be ) on the list of what you are looking for but I digress

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Josh Dobbs

Great hate thread.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Great hate thread.
    sorry If I am not going to drink the team flavored koolaid just because its from the team

I have my own opinions , America is great like that

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Looked at his highlights. Another dual-threat gimmick like Kordell and Vick.

If Ben goes down, this team is in trouble.

I really don't dig this guy at all.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    sorry If I am not going to drink the team flavored koolaid just because its from the team

I have my own opinions , America is great like that
    Sorry if I value the team's insight to be greater than yours .

Sorry if I value the team's insight to be greater than yours .
    suit yourself ,but its not like they are infallible so there is that

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

One of the biggest indicators of NFL success is completion percentage.

Over 70% good
    Under 60% uh oh

59%
    63%
    59%
    63%

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Looked at his highlights. Another dual-threat gimmick like Kordell and Vick.

If Ben goes down, this team is in trouble.

I really don't dig this guy at all.
    If Ben goes down within the next couple year's, this team is in trouble anyway. We damn sure don't have a QB now that could carry us into and thru the playoffs ! Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I posted this article earlier this week (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl...017/qbase-2017), and again kinda just let your eyes skip over the maths stuff - and focus on the DYAR #. Only thing we need to know is that the higher that number the better this projection system likes the player. Dobbs has the second highest # behind Mahomes in the class. In fact Mahomes and Dobbs are the only prospects the system doesn't predict to be almost total busts.

oshua Dobbs, Tennessee (66)

Mean Projection in Years 3-5: 419 DYAR
    Bust (< 500 DYAR) 53.8%
    Adequate Starter (500-1499 DYAR) 26.1%
    Upper Tier (1500-2500 DYAR) 14.3%
    Elite (>2500 DYAR) 5.8%

"Dobbs seems to be this year's "late riser," getting talked up more and more as we get closer to the draft. Normally, these late-rising quarterbacks are players who dazzle in workouts but had unimpressive college production. That's not the case with Dobbs. As noted above, Dobbs and Deshaun Watson are the only 2017 draft prospects who had their teams in the top ten of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a mid-round pick. (emphasis mine)"

suit yourself ,but its not like they are infallible so there is that
    I just don't hate on a guy JUST BECAUSE I would've picked someone else. I'm not a full-time scout; maybe you are. On the occasion where I have had the chance to watch someone play a few times, I'll have more of an opinion. Just gleaning through some online snippets and mock drafts doesn't give me better insight than an entire scouting department. The couple times I watched Dobbs play this year, I liked him. Obviously the other 31 teams don't think that highly of Kaaya or Peterman either as their names haven't been called.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I posted this article earlier this week (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl...017/qbase-2017), and again kinda just let your eyes skip over the maths stuff - and focus on the DYAR #. Only thing we need to know is that the higher that number the better this projection system likes the player. Dobbs has the second highest # behind Mahomes in the class. In fact Mahomes and Dobbs are the only prospects the system doesn't predict to be almost total busts.

Bust (< 500 DYAR) 53.8%
    Elite (>2500 DYAR) 5.8%

"Dobbs seems to be this year's "late riser," getting talked up more and more as we get closer to the draft. Normally, these late-rising quarterbacks are players who dazzle in workouts but had unimpressive college production. That's not the case with Dobbs. As noted above, Dobbs and Deshaun Watson are the only 2017 draft prospects who had their teams in the top ten of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a mid-round pick. (emphasis mine)"
    Good stuff Mojouw

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The next Landry Jones

Not Good.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Bust (< 500 DYAR) 53.8%
    Elite (>2500 DYAR) 5.8%

Am I reading this wrong, or is Dobbs "DYAR" still projected towards him being a bust?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Am I reading this wrong, or is Dobbs "DYAR" still projected towards him being a bust?
    Nope. Got that right. For this year's class DYAR projects EVERY prospect as having a 45%+ chance of busting out. Mahomes, Trubisky, then Dobbs are the "lowest" bust chances.

Kizer 65%, Peterman 71.6%, and Kaaya at 60.9% "bust" rates.

And I actually read the chart wrong, it has Trubisky a few points ahead of Dobbs. Still, relative to THIS QB class only, Steelers got equivalent projections almost 3 full round later...

I also found this interesting.

Dobbs and Deshaun Watson are the only 2017 draft prospects who had their teams in the top ten of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a mid-round pick.
    So, he faces much better defenses this year and his game gets better as well. Sure, I'd be willing to take a fourth round flyer on him. On the off chance he does work out well, it's much better to spend a fourth round on a QB than a first round pick, especially when we're hoping never to have a bad enough record to be able to pick a QB that is projected to start his first year.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

dont really get this pick. he will compete for third string. would of rather had Jake Butt here and a qb in R5 or never.

Intelligence: Knowing what I know and knowing what I don't know.

What I know: The Steelers need a developmental QB that can potentially be the heir apparent in 2-3 years.
    What I don't know: How good Joshua Dobbs can be.

Intelligence: Knowing what I know and knowing what I don't know.

What I know: The Steelers need a developmental QB that can potentially be the heir apparent in 2-3 years.
    What I don't know: How good Joshua Dobbs can be.
    Personally, I would've preferred getting someone with more "right now" ability next year (but maybe we'll still do that). Nevertheless, after watching just a little tape, I'm excited to see what this kid can do with more development. The game is not going to be too much for him from the neck up. That's a big plus right there. I think a big part of the learning curve is the massive playbook NFL teams have. Looking forward to seeing him in the preseason and just watching what he can do.

As for those who sniping at him because he's a running QB—I like the idea of a running QB as long as he is willing to sit in the pocket until he's forced out. He showed a few NFL type throws where he stood in the pocket and got hit pretty well, but made the pass in pressure situations. To me, that's enough to take a 4th round chance on the kid.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Smokescreen!!! We're drafting Kaaya in the 6th.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    That's I read it, too.

BUST < 500 ... 2500 < ELITE

Dobbs was a 419.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That's I read it, too.

BUST < 500 ... 2500 < ELITE

Dobbs was a 419.
    Yep, but many of the "Much better" QBs also projected as a bust. So for a fourth round pick, he may be a bit of a risk as a fourth rounder, but it's a low four round pick, so it's not that much. If he busts, it's not like we've lost a first or second round pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Smokescreen!!! We're drafting Kaaya in the 6th.
    With how difficult it is to break in QBs and the luck we've had with back ups, I'd be okay with it. We've filled our need at CB, especially if Lewis signs with us. We've also addressed the second RB and the Edge rusher. So it's not like we have any positions to fill that's a need. These are more luxury picks at this point for us . . . players that may or may not make the practice squad unless do something explosively good. So yeah, pop in another QB and let's see what they can do.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

There's no chance in hell we take 2 QBs

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    There's no chance in hell we take 2 QBs
    I like the idea of 2 Longsnappers. One more in the 7th.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I wanted the team to take a player at a position of need, but that was just my opinion.

I completely understand why they drafted a QB.

Here's the thing about Dobbs. He's a really smart kid. He is wildly inconsistent, particularly with his accuracy. I'm sure the Steelers are looking at all the good they see in him, love his intelligence, and see many of his deficiencies as stuff that can be coached out of him and corrected now that he can work on his craft more than 20 hours a week like in college.

I see a lot of good in Dobbs. The reason I wasn't higher on him is exactly what the team believes they can correct and get him to improve with time. Remember, we have Ben in all likelihood for at least a few more years. The kid has time. I feel like I know a decent amount about evaluating talent, but the Steelers and their scouts know what they're doing and I trust that they have a plan for this kid.

For the record, I hated the Landry Jones pick years ago because I thought the team had too many other needs to address when the roster was weak, and I didn't believe in him as a QB. Jones' head was what I was most afraid of. I feel much better about Dobbs than I did about Jones. He shows flashes of brilliance, and if they can get him to eliminate some of the things that make him inconsistent....he has a chance to be a good quarterback.

I defer to the expertise of the team and their assessment of Dobbs. I hope he turns into a perennial All-Pro when Ben finally retires.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I wanted the team to take a player at a position of need, but that was just my opinion.

I completely understand why they drafted a QB.

Here's the thing about Dobbs. He's a really smart kid. He is wildly inconsistent, particularly with his accuracy. I'm sure the Steelers are looking at all the good they see in him, love his intelligence, and see many of his deficiencies as stuff that can be coached out of him and corrected now that he can work on his craft more than 20 hours a week like in college.

I see a lot of good in Dobbs. The reason I wasn't higher on him is exactly what the team believes they can correct and get him to improve with time. Remember, we have Ben in all likelihood for at least a few more years. The kid has time. I feel like I know a decent amount about evaluating talent, but the Steelers and their scouts know what they're doing and I trust that they have a plan for this kid.

For the record, I hated the Landry Jones pick years ago because I thought the team had too many other needs to address when the roster was weak, and I didn't believe in him as a QB. Jones' head was what I was most afraid of. I feel much better about Dobbs than I did about Jones. He shows flashes of brilliance, and if they can get him to eliminate some of the things that make him inconsistent....he has a chance to be a good quarterback.

I defer to the expertise of the team and their assessment of Dobbs. I hope he turns into a perennial All-Pro when Ben finally retires.

Agreed! And besides all that, this kid worked his A$$ off in school, he actually studied in college and didn't take courses in basket weaving.

Interview with Florio, pre-draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ck-josh-dobbs/

fun fact the last Tennessee QB drafted by the Steelers ....... T Martin

fun fact the last Tennessee QB drafted by the Steelers ....... T Martin
    Fun fact about him as that T did what Peyton Manning couldn't and won a National Championship.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I like the upside, though accuracy is a great concern

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pretty good vid on Dobbs

Gruden's Camp With Joshua Dobbs - Full | April 16, 2017

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Why would anyone from the Steelers be saying he is not the successor to Big Ben? It doesn't make any sense.

If he isn't talented enough once they start working with him..... they draft another QB. Why do they need to say that through the media?