Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The steelers select James Conner

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: The steelers select James Conner

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I hear you. Really. You were in the discussion thread, and you saw my "unbiased" wish list (6 S, 10 CB).

At the same time, in the AFCCG, the other problem was after the Taperiots took away AB (7 for 77 is "taking away" AB), there were three dropped TDs by the other receivers. A red-zone/clutch receiver is indeed a need (albeit, not as big of a need).
    I'll take it one step further. After Bell went out, it made it possible for the "Tapes" to take away AB. The other WRs failed completely in their roles in the game. NEED RB to continue production when Bell goes out. Love DWill(fellow UM Tiger) but he was not AVAILABLE either. Is that Conner? Hope so. NEED WR that won't choke when it's his turn to step up. Is that Schuster? Hope so.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Le'Veon Bell goes down on the first drive of the game. Steelers MVP and best offensive weapon is down. DeAngelo filled in decently, but he was done at that point.

Patriots free to double AB.

Ben has nothing but cans to throw to. No one but the Outlaw steps up.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I understand the reason for selecting an RB, but I am not convinced that the steelers have selected the right RB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In the light of day, I feel better about the pick but still wonder about the round. A few random thoughts, this is the same team that drafted and unleashed L Bell on an unsuspecting NFL. Parts of Connors scouting report are eerily similar. Big back without breakaway long speed, good catcher with underdeveloped routes, runs high. I know I was incredibly negative earlier in this thread, but beer? The more I read on Connor the player (him as a person is amazing and I never questione) the more I get excited that he drops 15 lbs and gets put through the L Bell RB makeover program.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'll take it one step further. After Bell went out, it made it possible for the "Tapes" to take away AB. The other WRs failed completely in their roles in the game. NEED RB to continue production when Bell goes out. Love DWill(fellow UM Tiger) but he was not AVAILABLE either. Is that Conner? Hope so. NEED WR that won't choke when it's his turn to step up. Is that Schuster? Hope so.
    Bingo!!!

This is Draft has been ALL about rectifying the AGCCG.

R1 pass rush
    R2 red-zone target
    R3 pass coverage
    R3 Bell's backup

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Who do you like better between Desmond King and Eddie Jackson? Both are still waiting.
    I'm not sure, probably King. I just get the feeling that Jackson was made to look better because of the talent around him.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I'm not sure, probably King. I just get the feeling that Jackson was made to look better because of the talent around him.
    I'm in the King camp as well. Seems he does love contact at least. I keep reading he had slow times but can't find any definite 40 numbers.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    In the light of day, I feel better about the pick but still wonder about the round. A few random thoughts, this is the same team that drafted and unleashed L Bell on an unsuspecting NFL. Parts of Connors scouting report are eerily similar. Big back without breakaway long speed, good catcher with underdeveloped routes, runs high. I know I was incredibly negative earlier in this thread, but beer? The more I read on Connor the player (him as a person is amazing and I never questione) the more I get excited that he drops 15 lbs and gets put through the L Bell RB makeover program.

You didn't see the best of him yet. He is now all the way back from knee surgery and he is no longer suffering from weakness from the chemo and then his body recovering from the ravages of his experience. He will now be able to train even harder, and now that he is completely healthy, his body will be able to recover more quickly and fully.

I look forward to seeing what his playing weight will be, and see him at his absolute best. Full power!

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I've watched James play his entire career at Pitt. I think he's a good pick for this team. He will be a good back up player/compliment to Le'Veon. He can run people over and has decent speed in the open field. I think he could be great in goal line situations.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Initially I was not happy with the round we drafted James in. But after seeing all of the RBs coming off the board before us in round 4, im pretty convinced he wouldnt have come within spitting distance with our 4th round pick.

Joe Williams? Tarik Cohen? Never heard of these guys. And lets all remember were picking at the end of each round so we kind of sort of spent a 4th round pick on Connor. Welcome aboard James!
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Loved this pick. This pick is the kind of shit that makes me love the Steelers. They love this kid, and not just because he is a good player.. They didn't want to see him go anywhere else, that is why they took him in the 3rd. They didn't want to risk losing him.

This is more important to me than any championship they could win. Making dreams come true and knowing compassion and love is more important than any championship could ever be.

Great pick and my favorite so far because of what it really means.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

A third-round RB is equal to a late first-round QB in terms of expectations.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Le'Veon Bell goes down on the first drive of the game. Steelers MVP and best offensive weapon is down. DeAngelo filled in decently, but he was done at that point.

Patriots free to double AB.

Ben has nothing but cans to throw to. No one but the Outlaw steps up.
    Sounds like a coaching problem.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Sounds like a coaching problem.

Not trying to be a smartass, but.........

Losing the #2 WR to a year-long suspension
    Losing the #3 WR for most of the year
    Losing 90% of Production from the #4 receiver after breaking multiple fingers
    After their beloved TE retired, they replaced him with a free agent and that free agent #1 TE missed most of the year and wasn't there for the playoff game.
    The #1 running back in the NFL played 2 snaps in the AFC Championship

How is all that................a coaching problem?

Let's recap:

No #2 WR
    No #3 WR
    The #4 WR was ineffective due to injury
    No #1 TE
    No #1 RB

Come on man....really?

It doesn't explain the defensive game plan, but you can't say that losing that many weapons wasn't a major factor. It's not an excuse....it's a reason.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think they wanted a closer. Bell has been suspended and has had some injury issues.

They probably see Connor as LeGarrette Blount without the baggage. A guy that can come in late in games an pound on the defense to move the chains, run the clock, and be able to take pressure off of Bell.

It appears the plan this year is to score a lot of points, have the lead in a lot of games, and close the show while keeping the stars healthy with quality depth.

I thought they could have gotten him later in the draft, but he fills a need and is an awesome person in every way. What a great story. I'm happy for the kid.
    I agree 100%! You're talking Bill Cowher football and I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I agree 100%! You're talking Bill Cowher football and I like it!
    Really? You like losing in the AFCCG every time and never being able to win the SB? (Only reason we won in 05 is because Cowher opened up the offense).

I hope we never go back to Bill Cowher football. I much rather would have what we have now, an offense that can run the ball if you shut down the passing, and an offense that can pass the ball if you shut down the running. In Cowher's day, if you could stuff the rush, the Steelers were finished for the day.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bingo!!!

This is Draft has been ALL about rectifying the AGCCG.

R1 pass rush
    R2 red-zone target
    R3 pass coverage
    R3 Bell's backup
    Great point.

We should be improved on both sides of the ball this year....and I am praying that our red zone production improves as their is no way we should be only average in the red zone with all of the talent we have on offense.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Just checked our roster of backup RB's just to be sure.

Toussaint, Davis, Brown-Dukes, and a few other unknowns.

Yeah, I like the Conner pick a lot.