Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers select T.J Watt

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers select T.J Watt

Senior Member Array title="Steelheart is a jewel in the rough"> Steelheart's Avatar

Re: The Steelers select T.J Watt

No TE!!!!!!!

Well, a former TE but still....

A+

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Love it!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

HOMERUN!!!!!!!!!!

Cam Sutton next and then Rivers. Let's GO!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Didn't think he'd be there with Dallas, and GB ahead of us.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I like it a lot!!

Senior Member Array title="Steelheart is a jewel in the rough"> Steelheart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    HOMERUN!!!!!!!!!!

Cam Sutton next and then Rivers. Let's GO!
    I think you have them flipped. Unless there is a surprise Sutton has been viewed as a 3rd round guy and Rivers from 2-3.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Two young and athletic OLB'S!

I must add, that was a great tribute to Dan Rooney by Franco and the Bus.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'm not sure he was worth 30, there was a lot of other talent there, but I am excited for the pick. I like it. Thank God they didn't get McKinley...what a mess...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I like!

Glad the Steelers decided to blow smoke and not tip their hand with who they were drafting when they said they were concerned about Kizer not falling to pick 30 and claiming they weren't interested in TJ

Now JJ's brother will have 2 opportunities a year to make Howdy Doody look like a red ryder bb gun

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Glad the Steelers decided to blow smoke and not tip their hand with who they were drafting when they said they were concerned about Kizer not falling to pick 30 and claiming they weren't interested in TJ
    Anyone who followed what the Steelers did before the draft would have seen right through that. They had dinner with Watt, talked to him, and were at his pro day. It was a given he was one of their top choices. Same goes for Derek Rivers although I am not sure they would have taken him in the first. I think they might have tried to wait for him in the 2nd or try and trade out of the first to get an extra pick or 2 and then selected Rivers early in the 2nd and used their late 2nd on someone else.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Worth a gamble.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Great pick. I went to bed a happy man.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I like the pick. Watt doesn't have a lot of time at the position (moved from TE) but being a Watt he's got the work ethic to get there. Even if he's only half as good as JJ is, we would have a Pro Bow OLB.

And as for the "should have moved back a few spots into the second round if you're gonna select Watt" people:

First, it's not as easy as it seems. You need a team wanting to move up into that spot. Maybe the only teams willing wanted Watt. Or didn't want to say who they were after, but with pass rusher high on their needs list, they decided to stay and take Watt there.

Second, the Steelers very well might have felt Watt was a value pick at 30, while you don't. If that's the case, there's no way they trade out of the pick.

Third, the Steelers new draft philosophy seems to be to pick the BPA at a position of need (at least in the first two rounds). With that philosophy, you may reach a little bit for a player, but your also not drafting a player at a position where he will sit for years (like if they took a QB there).

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

Love the pick,he'll transition well into our schemes. You can't teach heart and soul, TJ will bring it!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'll post this again from my post in the draft TJ Watt Thread:

Articles this morning are saying that the Steelers like Watt, but not in the 1st round and view him as more of a second round prospect but don't think he will be there when they pick in the 2nd.

1. That might just all be smokescreen BS and doesn't matter.
    2. Assume it does for a second. These kind of statements by teams, GMs, talking heads, and fans drive me batty. Don't overthink the draft process. Do you need a pass rusher? Does the player fit your system? Is the player your highest rated prospect at the position still available? Will he be drafted before you pick again? If the answer to all those questions is "Yes" then just draft the dude and move on.

I don't know why NFL teams insist on slavishly sticking to these draft round grades like they are the revealed word of truth. Maybe internal NFL scouting reports are better than the write ups we can see on the internet, but they are all goofy anyways. Something like 2-3 times the guys that can go in a given round get that round grade.

If the Steelers go pass rusher in the first round, I think their available choices will be McKinnley, Watt, and Lawson. Me, I go Watt about 18 seconds into my pick time and sleep very well at night.

The only point I want to make, is that the same reaction that went on pre-draft is happening post-draft. Oh man, that guy has a second round grade for me. Well, thanks Mr. Random Draft Analyst! Why a 2nd round grade? Then everyone mumbles something about measurables and twitchiness. Okay. What about the production? What about the lack of questions about his ability to be a complete LB, not just a flashy first step? I just think that the draft gets over-thought a ton. Did the Steelers need an edge rusher? Lord, yes. Did they get one of the consensus 4 best edge rushers in the class? Yup. Well despite that fact that in other classes Watt may not have been rated that highly, in this one he is - so that's a first round pick. This stuff gets waaaaaaaayyyyyyy overthought.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Articles this morning are saying that the Steelers like Watt, but not in the 1st round and view him as more of a second round prospect but don't think he will be there when they pick in the 2nd.

2. Assume it does for a second. These kind of statements by teams, GMs, talking heads, and fans drive me batty. Don't overthink the draft process. Do you need a pass rusher? Does the player fit your system? Is the player your highest rated prospect at the position still available? Will he be drafted before you pick again? If the answer to all those questions is "Yes" then just draft the dude and move on.

I don't know why NFL teams insist on slavishly sticking to these draft round grades like they are the revealed word of truth. Maybe internal NFL scouting reports are better than the write ups we can see on the internet, but they are all goofy anyways. Something like 2-3 times the guys that can go in a given round get that round grade.

If the Steelers go pass rusher in the first round, I think their available choices will be McKinnley, Watt, and Lawson. Me, I go Watt about 18 seconds into my pick time and sleep very well at night.

The only point I want to make, is that the same reaction that went on pre-draft is happening post-draft. Oh man, that guy has a second round grade for me. Well, thanks Mr. Random Draft Analyst! Why a 2nd round grade? Then everyone mumbles something about measurables and twitchiness. Okay. What about the production? What about the lack of questions about his ability to be a complete LB, not just a flashy first step? I just think that the draft gets over-thought a ton. Did the Steelers need an edge rusher? Lord, yes. Did they get one of the consensus 4 best edge rushers in the class? Yup. Well despite that fact that in other classes Watt may not have been rated that highly, in this one he is - so that's a first round pick. This stuff gets waaaaaaaayyyyyyy overthought.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

THIS!!!

And that being said isn't this the NFL way. Look at the NFL network where they bring in a so called experts to make a list of the top 10 (you name it) of all time, or the other one that made me laugh "cold hard facts" that was nothing but a couple of sports casters spewing their opinions and presented a fact.

The draft is interesting and I will argue with anyone is a complete crap shoot. Players like Limas Sweed who has all the heart in the world, but just couldn't catch getting drafted, and guys like James Harrison and Donnie Shell who didn't get drafted at all. I follow the draft on this board because it's a taste of Steelers football and it's fun, but I take everything with a grain of salt. Hope it all works out in our favor, let's let them play and see how it all shakes out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anyone remember how the Seahawks "screwed up" their 2012 draft by taking Bruce Irvin at 15 or whatever it was and he was a "high second/third round talent"? He worked out pretty well for being second/third round talent and was one of the better first round picks in 2012 and probably better than at least 11 of the players that followed him.

Point is, there's not a lot of "first round" talent out there and that "first round" talent could actually come at anytime. Example closer to home: Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown, Brett Keisel. All first round talent, all taken at later rounds. Opposite direction: Limas Sweed. First round talent, not worth second round pick or any pick for that matter...

Kinda the same page as what Butch posted...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

They'll be introducing him to the media at 5 pm ET

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

A agree with your sentiment on the whole but I do want to talk about one point and that would be why teams would stick to their grades. If there is a guy you really like but has a 2nd round grade and you think there is a good shot you can get him there, you don't "reach" into the first because you lose value that way. If you really need an OLB and only kind of need safety help and Troy Polamalu is there in the first and you think you will get James Harrison in the 2nd, you don't reach for Harrison there even if you really love him.

Of course you do have the caveat of "will he be gone before your next pick" but I think that is usually a sort of hard question to answer. Like I said though, I agree with your overall sentiment. I don't see much difference between a really late first round guy and a mid 2nd round guy. I wouldn't consider it a huge reach.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...h?sf74489796=1

J.J. Watt tells Steelers' Antonio Brown to treat brother T.J. like rookie

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I understand round projections to analyze what players may go when, if outside a team warroom perspective. That's what we did this entire draft season. But, for the team itself, those rankings don't work at all. The 'experts' say a guy is a 2nd round talent and a reach in the 1st. If he fits exactly what you need, why would you listen to the 'experts'? You take him in the 1st round instead of taking the chance he won't be there in the 2nd. Teams won't tell you what they really think of a player leading up to the draft. TJ Watt fits exactly what the Steelers look for in an OLB, and in a 1st round Draft pick. They weren't listening to any 'expert' opinion. He's who they wanted and that's why they drafted him at 30. I honestly didn't think he would be there at 30, and it was him or someone from a different position. Not the 2nd best OLB available on the list. In fact, I think if Watt had not been there at 30, we probably would have taken one of the big safeties instead.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Yuck lol hoping he'll get 42 by end of camp, 42+48= 90.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I hope Watt is able to disengage tackles in the NFL. He got locked up a lot in college. It seems a lot of plays came when unblocked or against a TE or RB. He has more upside than Jones, but that isn't saying much.

Tomlin's track record for finding pass rushing OLBs is not good.

We have to wait to see how he pans out, but I do not have a good feeling about Watt being able to produce on the NFL level.
    Hater = Realist