Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Layoffs

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

ESPN Layoffs

ESPN is swinging the ax today to reduce payroll after losing about 12 million subscribers (at $7 per month) with cord cutting over past 5 years

Trent Dilfer (who I loathe) and Ed Werder (good guy who focused on Cowboys) among cuts who disclosed their terminations so far

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-o...ffs-1794664091

Would not be surprised to see the Bus and Ryan Clark let go

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: ESPN Layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    ESPN is swinging the ax today to reduce payroll after losing about 12 million subscribers (at $7 per month) with cord cutting over past 5 years

They had it coming. Cable companies are notorious for ripping you off, and ESPN was notorious for even managing to rip the cable companies off (and of course, when that happens, the rip-off gets passed along to you, the consumer). They charge something like $6-$8 per subscriber per month, and strongarm their way into all packages, so everyone subsidizes them even if they're not sports fans. People are not happy about paying $100 a month for standard TV, and ESPN and their practices were a big part of why that came about. We dropped cable TV about a year ago and have no regrets at all. If I really want to watch a game, it's not too hard to stream it legally, or go somewhere else to watch it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I couldnt tell you the last time I tuned in to bspn

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, after they got all political they lost a lot of subs. Nobody wanted to hear that crap on a sports channel, it was everywhere else. On top of that some of the BS those morons were endorsing just ruined watching it for me several years ago. Good riddance.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    I couldnt tell you the last time I tuned in to bspn
    This.

I didn't mind Ed Werder so I'm surprised he got canned.

But yeah, BSPN sucks and I don't watch it anymore unless it's Sunday Night Football and the Steelers are on or college football/Va Tech.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well, after they got all political they lost a lot of subs. Nobody wanted to hear that crap on a sports channel, it was everywhere else. On top of that some of the BS those morons were endorsing just ruined watching it for me several years ago. Good riddance.

You are absolutely right. They have gotten so political, and their employees spew their political leanings all over the TV and radio broadcasts.

I watch and participate in sports to escape reality. Nothing pisses me off more than getting politics stuffed down my throat. I'm sick of it, and I'm sure many, many more are too.

Stick to sports....or I'm going somewhere else.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

They should've started with Dan LebRetard. And then Bomani Jones.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Exactly. People don't go to a sports channel to watch some guy's liberal rants

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just curious - haven't had cable for almost 6 years now. Catch Sportscenter or one of the other yelling and highlight shows on the road sometimes, but what is the politics aspect of all this? ESPN radio personalities tend to avoid that arena with like a 25 foot pole.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

No joke. I also think they're almost entirely responsible for the idiotic practice of microanalyzing every facet of everything that athletes say and do on and off the field - then focusing on that until the whole thing is more about the puke-inducing reality show drama than about sports. I mean, some of that is probably what people mean by politics too.

"Ooh, some guy on the Atlanta Hawks made an insensitive remark on Twitter - let's all be outraged and call for his suspension!"

"Some football player got in an argument with his girlfriend over money - let's get everyone fired up and demand an investigation!"

"One kid choked on a Dodger Dog. SAFETY!!!!! BAN HOT DOGS EVERYWHERE!!!"

And yeah, it didn't help crossing everything over into politics and social justice, so that talking about sports is like walking on eggshells, because you never know when some hair-trigger activist is going to jump in even though he (she (xim, xer, xem)) barely even cares about sports in the first place.

Why is this even a thing? Following sports does not need to be this hard. Like - what did you need to know about your favorite players and teams before all this BS?

Jose Canseco: Hits home runs. Not the brightest son of a bitch. Probably on steroids. Banging Madonna. Well all righty then. Are the A's winning?

Seriously, fuck all this shit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Wow, Jayson Stark (MLB analyst) got the axe too.

Werder should just write columns and charge money like Dejan K

I'm sure Dilfer will get picked up by NFLN or FOX/CBS somewhere or he can do Bucs/Stains/BitchPigeons radio games

Stark should just go to MLB network > BSPN

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No joke. I also think they're almost entirely responsible for the idiotic practice of microanalyzing every facet of everything that athletes say and do on and off the field - then focusing on that until the whole thing is more about the puke-inducing reality show drama than about sports. I mean, some of that is probably what people mean by politics too.

"Ooh, some guy on the Atlanta Hawks made an insensitive remark on Twitter - let's all be outraged and call for his suspension!"

"Some football player got in an argument with his girlfriend over money - let's get everyone fired up and demand an investigation!"

"One kid choked on a Dodger Dog. SAFETY!!!!! BAN HOT DOGS EVERYWHERE!!!"

And yeah, it didn't help crossing everything over into politics and social justice, so that talking about sports is like walking on eggshells, because you never know when some hair-trigger activist is going to jump in even though he (she (xim, xer, xem)) barely even cares about sports in the first place.

Why is this even a thing? Following sports does not need to be this hard. Like - what did you need to know about your favorite players and teams before all this BS?

Jose Canseco: Hits home runs. Not the brightest son of a bitch. Probably on steroids. Banging Madonna. Well all righty then. Are the A's winning?

Seriously, fuck all this shit.
    So (I agree by the way) what you are saying is that there is NOT 24 hours of sports "news" per day let alone enough for 4 (or whatever they are up to now) different ESPNs?

They gotta fill airtime, so now I have to know that Jeter gives woman gift baskets after he enjoys some quality time with them. Why did I need to hear that? I just want to know who won last nights game.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No joke. I also think they're almost entirely responsible for the idiotic practice of microanalyzing every facet of everything that athletes say and do on and off the field - then focusing on that until the whole thing is more about the puke-inducing reality show drama than about sports.
    The problem is what to program when you are not running live sports

I am old enough to remember when getting long highlights on ESPN was a breakthrough after 5 minutes of sports on the local news

Once you could get highlights online and on demand that blew up the business model for Sports Center, which was the signature program other than live sports going back to the glory days of Olberman and Patrick

So then you were left with gossip and "hot takes" in addition to live programming such as the NFL, for which ESPN has a greater need, as subscriber revenues plunge - not good

More than any other network, ESPN needed N.F.L. games to help sustain its monthly subscriber fees, the foundation of its financial structure.

So, in the contract that began in 2006, ESPN agreed to pay $1.1 billion annually, nearly twice NBC’s $600 million. When it came time to renew the deal through 2021, the price rose to $1.9 billion a year. NBC is paying $950 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/s...ings-espn.html

The problem is what to program when you are not running live sports

I am old enough to remember when getting long highlights on ESPN was a breakthrough after 5 minutes of sports on the local news

Once you could get highlights online and on demand that blew up the business model for Sports Center, which was the signature program other than live sports going back to the glory days of Olberman and Patrick

So then you were left with gossip and "hot takes" in addition to live programming such as the NFL, for which ESPN has a greater need, as subscriber revenues plunge - not good

More than any other network, ESPN needed N.F.L. games to help sustain its monthly subscriber fees, the foundation of its financial structure.

So, in the contract that began in 2006, ESPN agreed to pay $1.1 billion annually, nearly twice NBC’s $600 million. When it came time to renew the deal through 2021, the price rose to $1.9 billion a year. NBC is paying $950 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/s...ings-espn.html

The model is falling apart. What are the major sports leagues going to do when at the next TV deal auction the various networks say" Well, you know, we just can't do the levels we've been at. Gotta cut the rate we're paying you to about $500 million"? Owners going to take less? Fat chance! So then there is a CBA problem...I think unless the leagues get creative with how to deliver their content to PAYING digital customers, this is all over in like 8 years.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just curious - haven't had cable for almost 6 years now. Catch Sportscenter or one of the other yelling and highlight shows on the road sometimes, but what is the politics aspect of all this? ESPN radio personalities tend to avoid that arena with like a 25 foot pole.

Not at ESPN.

Here's an example from just a few days ago.

I turn on First Take with Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman. There was a sports reporter on the show commenting on the controversy about the pictures comparing the Patriots' White House visits under the Obama administration, and the most recent visit under the Trump administration that were put out on social media by the New York Times.

In case you don't know, the New York Times posted both these pictures comparing the size of the group from the Patriots from both years, and made a point of stating how many more Patriots attended under while Obama was in office. The Patriots responded to the pictures, and stated that there was a difference in the number of people in the picture is because much of the staff was sitting in crowd as opposed to being in the picture of the entire organization like the picture at the Obama White House visit. The New York Times had to issue an apology.

When the guest on First Take engaged Max Kellerman and Stephen A Smith on this sports topic, Kellerman just goes completely biased, partisan, and borderline looney about the Trump administration. It's incomprehensible that a sports talk show goes from discussing a topic with some political ramifications because an NFL team is at the White House and a reporter is disingenuous about the pictures to create a bad look for Trump.......and one of the hosts of the show loses his mind because the guest has the audacity to comment on the New York Times intentionally publishing pictures to make the President of the United States look bad.

I'm no Trump apologist...but this is the same ESPN that you couldn't watch for 10 minutes without showing coverage of President Obama being at a sporting event, commenting on a sporting event, hanging out with a professional athlete, and basically fell all over themselves to always show Obama in a positive light. That's all well and good, but you can't then have ESPN employees acting like an arm of the Democratic Party with aggressive statements and accusations about the current President. It's just ridiculous.

Here's a video of some of the discussion:

Stuff like this just makes me want to turn the channel, and I did at the end of that segment. If someone attacked President Obama like that, it would be equally ridiculous and offensive. Can we please just see and hear sports at a sports network?

I can't stand that crap anymore.

Once again, this is not about me supporting one President or the other. This is a sports network that is supposed to be discussing sports and be unbiased in how they report things. This is just one example. I have been seeing lots of negative press from ESPN on both tv and radio talk shows.

Just trying to show just one example of what I'm talking about.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

ESPN Layoffs

ESPN is nothing near what it used to be. Back when it was simple, it was best. I tried to watch it recently, but all the highlights are junked up and the format is just awful. Too many analysts and sideline/field reporters. Just stick Kenny Mayne and Keith Obermann behind a desk and let them do the highlights.

I haven't watched ESPN in years other then my recent attempt and when the Steelers are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Not at ESPN.

Here's an example from just a few days ago.

I turn on First Take with Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman. There was a sports reporter on the show commenting on the controversy about the pictures comparing the Patriots' White House visits under the Obama administration, and the most recent visit under the Trump administration that were put out on social media by the New York Times.

In case you don't know, the New York Times posted both these pictures comparing the size of the group from the Patriots from both years, and made a point of stating how many more Patriots attended under while Obama was in office. The Patriots responded to the pictures, and stated that there was a difference in the number of people in the picture is because much of the staff was sitting in crowd as opposed to being in the picture of the entire organization like the picture at the Obama White House visit. The New York Times had to issue an apology.

When the guest on First Take engaged Max Kellerman and Stephen A Smith on this sports topic, Kellerman just goes completely biased, partisan, and borderline looney about the Trump administration. It's incomprehensible that a sports talk show goes from discussing a topic with some political ramifications because an NFL team is at the White House and a reporter is disingenuous about the pictures to create a bad look for Trump.......and one of the hosts of the show loses his mind because the guest has the audacity to comment on the New York Times intentionally publishing pictures to make the President of the United States look bad.

I'm no Trump apologist...but this is the same ESPN that you couldn't watch for 10 minutes without showing coverage of President Obama being at a sporting event, commenting on a sporting event, hanging out with a professional athlete, and basically fell all over themselves to always show Obama in a positive light. That's all well and good, but you can't then have ESPN employees acting like an arm of the Democratic Party with aggressive statements and accusations about the current President. It's just ridiculous.

Here's a video of some of the discussion: http://sport.ava360.com/new-england-...d4abda816.html

Stuff like this just makes me want to turn the channel, and I did at the end of that segment. If someone attacked President Obama like that, it would be equally ridiculous and offensive. Can we please just see and hear sports at a sports network?

I can't stand that crap anymore.

Once again, this is not about me supporting one President or the other. This is a sports network that is supposed to be discussing sports and be unbiased in how they report things. This is just one example. I have been seeing lots of negative press from ESPN on both tv and radio talk shows.

Just trying to show just one example of what I'm talking about.
    Yeah that got real ridiculous real quick. I think the problem is that there really isn't enough to talk about. I mean, there is - but most sports folks don't want to sit through a show that does detailed fine-grained analysis of a game or series of games. They want "hot takes" and "Tweetstorms" etc.

The best football shows on TV used to be that one on ESPN where Jaws just broke down the Monday night game. And the Showtime one that got into detailed analysis. Both those shows are now on at like 3 in the morning last I checked. NBC started Football Night in America to kinda fill that gap and that lasted all of 3 weeks. Now their "analysis" is about how star players and good playcalling are important.

It seems people just want to watch the TV equivalent of a car wreck.

Yeah that got real ridiculous real quick. I think the problem is that there really isn't enough to talk about. I mean, there is - but most sports folks don't want to sit through a show that does detailed fine-grained analysis of a game or series of games. They want "hot takes" and "Tweetstorms" etc.

The best football shows on TV used to be that one on ESPN where Jaws just broke down the Monday night game. And the Showtime one that got into detailed analysis. Both those shows are now on at like 3 in the morning last I checked. NBC started Football Night in America to kinda fill that gap and that lasted all of 3 weeks. Now their "analysis" is about how star players and good playcalling are important.

Mojouw, I changed the link in my post to a video of the entire segment. I didn't edit it in time for your response. Here's the link if you want to see the whole thing.

When Stephen A is the voice of reason and keeping it about sports, you know Kellerman lost his mind. That's the kind of thing that could and possible should cost him his job. Totally unacceptable in that setting.

Sorry, just wanted you to see the whole thing for context.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There was a show on NFLNETWORK, may be the same one you're referring to. Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger's crooked finger, and others would break down the past week's game films. I think Jaws was on that one, maybe not. Anyway, I would DVR and rewatch all week. But then again, I AM a nerd.

The model is falling apart. What are the major sports leagues going to do when at the next TV deal auction the various networks say" Well, you know, we just can't do the levels we've been at. Gotta cut the rate we're paying you to about $500 million"? Owners going to take less? Fat chance! So then there is a CBA problem...I think unless the leagues get creative with how to deliver their content to PAYING digital customers, this is all over in like 8 years.
    The broadcast/bundled programming package model of TV is falling apart as well - cord cutting is due to steaming alternatives as well as cost

Cost was not the driving factor, with less than a third of respondents citing cost as a reason for wanting to cancel their service. Instead, the majority of respondents said they were satisfied with the proliferation of over-the-top streaming options like Netflix and Hulu.

"Skinny bundles" – or smaller cable packages that offer fewer channels – could be one way that cable companies can hold on to subscribers and combat the likes of Netflix and Hulu.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/20/inten...rvey-says.html

The NFL knows that alternatives to just bidding up rights with just ESPN, CBS, Fox and NBC are required, with experiments such as this to bring in new bidders.

Amazon is getting into the live sports broadcasting business. The retailing giant, which has spent hundreds of millions of dollars acquiring content for its subscription video business, has won the rights to stream "Thursday Night Football" games for this upcoming season.

Sources confirmed to ESPN that the deal to stream the games, which will be simulcast on the NFL Network and either CBS or NBC, is worth $50 million, up from the $10 million that Twitter paid for the streaming in the deal last season....

Unlike with Twitter, where anyone who logged on could see the games, only Amazon customers who pay for its Prime service will have access.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...lacing-twitter

Until recently it was unthinkable a major sporting event such as the college football championship or the Final Four would be on cable rather than a traditional network but that barrier has been crossed - sports packages online are the next step. The question is whether an Amazon, Netflix or Google (which owns YouTube) will pay enough to keep the sports rights bubble inflated

You're right. It's heading in a very bad direction IMO.

It's hard to name the exact moment it happened, but somewhere along the way they chose to move away from good ole' straightforward sports to hot takes and reality tv. It's getting closer to "ESPN Housewives of Bristol" than real sports in way too many cases.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

slightly off topic but remember back in the day where Jimmy the Greek would be on the Sunday pregame announcing his picks vs the spread ?

how the league has distanced itself from this sort of thing YET allows owners of real teams to own a big chunk of fantasy gaming on the same sport

but God forbid if they are involved with Horse racing

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Got way too political for my taste. Not surprised whatsoever.

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

You can't even go the their website anymore, every article you click on is one their "Insider" articles that you have to pay to be a member of. I gave up on ESPN completely years ago.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skinart82 View Post
    You can't even go the their website anymore, every article you click on is one their "Insider" articles that you have to pay to be a member of. I gave up on ESPN completely years ago.
    Yep, they want you to pay for everything. That's why I never go to their site. I used to be an ESPN addict for many years. Watched Sportscenter multiple times every day, watched all of the college basketball and football games, etc. Not any more. This year I even finally gave up any kind of cable or satellite and the only time that I miss it is when I want to watch the Steelers on NFL Network or ESPN and the streams are shitty.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

There is gonna come a time when cable and even tv is gonna become obsolete. Everything is at the click of a mouse or swipe of your phone...no tv needed

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Yep, they want you to pay for everything. That's why I never go to their site. I used to be an ESPN addict for many years. Watched Sportscenter multiple times every day, watched all of the college basketball and football games, etc. Not any more. This year I even finally gave up any kind of cable or satellite and the only time that I miss it is when I want to watch the Steelers on NFL Network or ESPN and the streams are shitty.
    easy fix for that is go to the website and use a friends login password that still subscribes to cable , I use my sons because we cut the cable cord a few years ago and stream everything...

32inch 1080p smart tv as a pc monitor for both me and the MRS. and a 3rd pc hooked up to the big flat screen with kodi on that pc

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

easy fix for that is go to the website and use a friends login password that still subscribes to cable , I use my sons because we cut the cable cord a few years ago and stream everything...

32inch 1080p smart tv as a pc monitor for both me and the MRS. and a 3rd pc hooked up to the big flat screen with kodi on that pc
    This

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The broadcast/bundled programming package model of TV is falling apart as well - cord cutting is due to steaming alternatives as well as cost

Cost was not the driving factor, with less than a third of respondents citing cost as a reason for wanting to cancel their service. Instead, the majority of respondents said they were satisfied with the proliferation of over-the-top streaming options like Netflix and Hulu.

"Skinny bundles" – or smaller cable packages that offer fewer channels – could be one way that cable companies can hold on to subscribers and combat the likes of Netflix and Hulu.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/20/inten...rvey-says.html

The NFL knows that alternatives to just bidding up rights with just ESPN, CBS, Fox and NBC are required, with experiments such as this to bring in new bidders.

Amazon is getting into the live sports broadcasting business. The retailing giant, which has spent hundreds of millions of dollars acquiring content for its subscription video business, has won the rights to stream "Thursday Night Football" games for this upcoming season.

Sources confirmed to ESPN that the deal to stream the games, which will be simulcast on the NFL Network and either CBS or NBC, is worth $50 million, up from the $10 million that Twitter paid for the streaming in the deal last season....

Unlike with Twitter, where anyone who logged on could see the games, only Amazon customers who pay for its Prime service will have access.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...lacing-twitter

Until recently it was unthinkable a major sporting event such as the college football championship or the Final Four would be on cable rather than a traditional network but that barrier has been crossed - sports packages online are the next step. The question is whether an Amazon, Netflix or Google (which owns YouTube) will pay enough to keep the sports rights bubble inflated
    Very True. Twitter has a partnership with NFL Network to broadcast the (usually lame) Thursday Night Games that also appear on CBS/NBC. 10 games a year.

(Off Topic) Netflix is getting more first run movies as opposed to the movie theater. They now have the rights to The Irishman (DeNiro/Pacino/Pesci/Keitel gangster movie directed by Scorsese) which should be huge.

Point is Netflix is gaining more and more power.

- - - Updated - - -

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

LOL, everyone that I know has cancelled their cable. I've got Amazon Fire TV boxes with Kodi in the living room and bedroom and Kodi on my computer and tablet. That's how I watch everything that's not on local channels, which I get via antenna.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert