Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Layoffs

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: ESPN Layoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    There was a show on NFLNETWORK, may be the same one you're referring t o. Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger's crooked finger, and others would break down the past week's game films. I think Jaws was on that one, maybe not. Anyway, I would DVR and rewatch all week. But then again, I AM a nerd.
    AFC/NFC Playbook

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

No surprise they're keeping this waste of space.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No surprise they're keeping this waste of space.

Who is she? I'm on Twitter alot but don't even recognize the name

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Who is she? I'm on Twitter alot but don't even recognize the name
    This is the only reason I know anything about her, but I still remember it: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/16/us/esp...chenry-tirade/

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's hard to name the exact moment it happened, but somewhere along the way they chose to move away from good ole' straightforward sports to hot takes and reality tv. It's getting closer to "ESPN Housewives of Bristol" than real sports in way too many cases.
    I'd say right around the time Disney bought the network. And I'm gonna laugh when it winds up being 4 hours of actual programming with 20 hours of infomercials a day...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

ESPN was bad for a long time now. The Krappernick controversy last year was the death knell. I've had enough of all forms of politics. I'm sick a hearing about Trump, CNN, Hilary, progressivism, illegals, immigrations, BLM. It's all a cancer.

Still classy, I see - 100 people (most of whom being infinitely more talented than her) get the sack and she gloats about keeping her job? I would imagine the only reason she was spared the axe to begin with is that her salary is low enough to keep her off the "hatchet man's" radar (for now).
    She's sucking a good **** in that studio.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

This is the only reason I know anything about her, but I still remember it: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/16/us/esp...chenry-tirade/
    Ok, I remember the incident but not her name.

Pretty much what Edman said above. Because if they keep somebody like her over an Ed Werder or Jayson Stark? Laughable.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I guess they forgot to call her and her tweet was a reminder they had missed her

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

None of it matters anyways. This is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Unless the are cutting hundreds of millions of dollars in salaries, it can't reverse the death spiral they are in with regards to losing subscribers at a record rate at the same time their content costs for live games is going through the roof.

The sad part is the solution exists. Look at HBO GO. Just make an ESPN GO. It isn't hard, you already have an app. But TV networks and sports leagues are about where newspapers were at 15-20 years ago. Too locked into outdated business models and too conservative to really innovate.

The only reason I care, is that I truly believe that without 500 million to 1 billion plus dollar TV deals - the NFL as we know it goes away. Basketball and baseball shortly to follow.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Well, after they got all political they lost a lot of subs. Nobody wanted to hear that crap on a sports channel, it was everywhere else. On top of that some of the BS those morons were endorsing just ruined watching it for me several years ago. Good riddance.
    I agree 100% Nothing pisses me off more than sports people and athletes talking politics, of which they know NOTHING about. Fire them all ! It's getting to the point where most of them know NOTHING about sports either.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Espn sux but does have 3 things going good. 1.30 For 30 series are entertaining. 2. Ryan Clark is really knowledgeable and also funny on the NFL shows. 3. Still have MNF Football.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

ESPN rubs me wrong sometimes, but I'm thankful for any and all 24-hour sports programming. I really have no interest in other TV programming. So I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Will say this too and think ESPN miss the boat not getting any NHL contracts and games ever.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    ESPN rubs me wrong sometimes, but I'm thankful for any and all 24-hour sports programming. I really have no interest in other TV programming. So I don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face.
    ^^THIS^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The only reason I care, is that I truly believe that without 500 million to 1 billion plus dollar TV deals - the NFL as we know it goes away.
    To be honest, I don't really care anymore. The game I grew up with and loved died years ago anyway. My Steelers fanhood is the only reason I still pay attention at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I guess they forgot to call her and her tweet was a reminder they had missed her

Wow - she's getting lambasted on that Tweet.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    None of it matters anyways. This is just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Unless the are cutting hundreds of millions of dollars in salaries, it can't reverse the death spiral they are in with regards to losing subscribers at a record rate at the same time their content costs for live games is going through the roof.

The sad part is the solution exists. Look at HBO GO. Just make an ESPN GO. It isn't hard, you already have an app. But TV networks and sports leagues are about where newspapers were at 15-20 years ago. Too locked into outdated business models and too conservative to really innovate.

The only reason I care, is that I truly believe that without 500 million to 1 billion plus dollar TV deals - the NFL as we know it goes away. Basketball and baseball shortly to follow.

Out of all those, baseball is the only one that's actually been preparing for what's coming. They've been testing out all kinds of streaming and pay-as-you-go subscription models quietly for several years now. Whereas the NFL's approach is to make access as restricted as possible and try to jam all potential viewers into a single, surly, take-it-or-leave-it package.

That kind of works if interest is so high that people are willing to overlook the cost or inconvenience or the general shitty attitude of the whole thing. But interest in the NFL is already declining from that peak. In baseball it already did, so they're trying to do the smart thing and be ready - trying out things that are actually helpful and which people want. You know, running it like an actual business with customers, not a monolith.

Eventually coverage could turn into some kind of hybrid model like you see with some European soccer leagues, where you've got varying levels of free and paid for varying levels of interest. But the network TV deal as a primary source of income is not going to be a thing much longer. The NFL will probably hold out longer than most trying to force "exclusive" deals and shit, but I do not think the public's interest level is going to support that for long either. They are going to have a rude awakening when they find out that the Millennial fantasy football fan and statmonger is not the same thing as a die-hard fan of the sport itself.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

This whole thing reminds me of NBC crying over their sagging ratings for the Olympics and blaming it on those lazy millenials. How dare people not line up and eat up our crap coverage and fluff pieces again and again?

I watch the olympics to see the olympics, not advertisements and inspirational fluff pieces on the athletes.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Out of all those, baseball is the only one that's actually been preparing for what's coming. They've been testing out all kinds of streaming and pay-as-you-go subscription models quietly for several years now. Whereas the NFL's approach is to make access as restricted as possible and try to jam all potential viewers into a single, surly, take-it-or-leave-it package.

That kind of works if interest is so high that people are willing to overlook the cost or inconvenience or the general shitty attitude of the whole thing. But interest in the NFL is already declining from that peak. In baseball it already did, so they're trying to do the smart thing and be ready - trying out things that are actually helpful and which people want. You know, running it like an actual business with customers, not a monolith.

Eventually coverage could turn into some kind of hybrid model like you see with some European soccer leagues, where you've got varying levels of free and paid for varying levels of interest. But the network TV deal as a primary source of income is not going to be a thing much longer. The NFL will probably hold out longer than most trying to force "exclusive" deals and shit, but I do not think the public's interest level is going to support that for long either. They are going to have a rude awakening when they find out that the Millennial fantasy football fan and statmonger is not the same thing as a die-hard fan of the sport itself.

They are also going to be surprised when they find out that all the people in the groups they have reached out to in the hopes of bringing them into the game, all the groups they tried to appease with rule changes, and all the Millennial fantasy fans and the Millennial soccer nerds are not going to follow and financially support the game the way the NFL hoped.......while they continued to shit on and ignore the traditional die-hard, avid fans of the game that supported the game and helped the NFL grow into the superpower it has become today.....and the very people they seems intent on pushing away from the game over the last decade or so.

If they lose a huge market share, it would serve them right.

The NFL version of Manifest Destiny gone wrong.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They are also going to be surprised when they find out that all the people in the groups they have reached out to in the hopes of bringing them into the game, all the groups they tried to appease with rule changes, and all the Millennial fantasy fans and the Millennial soccer nerds are not going to follow and financially support the game the way the NFL hoped.......while they continued to shit on and ignore the traditional die-hard, avid fans of the game that supported the game and helped the NFL grow into the superpower it has become today.....and the very people they seems intent on pushing away from the game over the last decade or so.

If they lose a huge market share, it would serve them right.

The NFL version of Manifest Destiny gone wrong.
    Yup. That pretty much nails it.

I can already see the fan-interest pendulum swinging away from the NFL and more toward basketball for the past couple of years already, and I don't see why it's going to stop any time soon. It's got the appeal for all the different types of fickle "casual" sports fans too - fantasy/stats appeal; superstar appeal; off-the-court drama appeal; dickhead "street" appeal; bitching-about-the-rules-and-the-officiating appeal; and a lot less dragged-out, manufactured BS during the games, and a lot less treating the fans like garbage.

The NFL should be looking at that and thinking about what they need to do to remain more engaging than that, but instead they always go the monolith route, and it's going to bite them. Sooner than they think, too.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    More from Ed Werder's podcast comments

He also mentioned the names of some apparently laid-off colleagues who we hadn’t heard about previously.

It’s not the quality of your work that’s a factor. Well, it causes me to wonder, what is ESPN about? Because I thought it was about news and information and highlights, and I’m not sure that is the point of emphasis anymore. How is ESPN going to cover the NFL without all of the people who lost their jobs. What happens without Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworksi to NFL Matchup? What happens to NFL Insiders without a number of analysts, former general managers like Joe Banner and Mark Dominik.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/edwerder.html

No surprise if Jaworski and Hoge are let go since NFL Matchup has been an insightful show for a long time. Of all the people ESPN has let go, nobody has been screwed over more than Jaworski, who was forced off Monday Night Football because there was not enough time for anyone other Gruden to talk between plays. The ESPN business model for the NFL is the Monday night game and people shouting at each other.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

NFL Network should pick Hoge and Jaws up and just do the same show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Did they get laid off too?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Did they get laid off too?
    No announcement but Ed Werder (who understandably is not pleased he got axed) said this in his podcast

What happens without Merril Hoge and Ron Jaworski to ‘NFL Matchup?’

When asked if Hoge and Jaws are gone, a PR person for ESPN responded as follows

Bill Hofheimer with ESPN NFL PR would not confirm or deny any specific names regarding ESPN personnel moves, when asked about Hoge and Jaworski.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/01/are...erder-says-so/

That is what is called a "non-denial denial."

ESPN has never issued a list - either the employee made the disclosure or a coworker did

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That's a yes...lol

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I agree unless they got the same clause in the contract that Werder did

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Of all the people ESPN has let go, nobody has been screwed over more than Jaworski, who was forced off Monday Night Football because there was not enough time for anyone other Gruden to talk between plays. The ESPN business model for the NFL is the Monday night game and people shouting at each other.
    Agree - Jaws is really a good analyst. Gruden is kind of a clown.

Kind of? Lol...