Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers have exercised their fifth-year option on LB Ryan Shazier

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers have exercised their fifth-year option on LB Ryan Shazier

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: The Steelers have exercised their fifth-year option on LB Ryan Shazier

Wow, huge surprise there /sarcasm

I am glad they did, hopefully he will be a career Steeler!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Let's be honest...did they really have a choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

He needs to stay healthy.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

WOW THIS NEWS REALLY BLINDSIDED ME!! (not)

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    um...wow. thats remarkable company to be in
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    He needs to stay healthy.
    And that's probably precisely why they went to the optional year rather than tying him up long term after his fourth year. It's a risk in that he has the potential to command a much larger contract after his fifth year if he stays healthy and plays at a very high level. However, with his injury history, I think it is the right choice.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    And that's probably precisely why they went to the optional year rather than tying him up long term after his fourth year. It's a risk in that he has the potential to command a much larger contract after his fifth year if he stays healthy and plays at a very high level. However, with his injury history, I think it is the right choice.
    but it also gives you another entire year to negotiate a long term deal and Ben may be off the books at that point , ( I hope not but it could be )

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

The Steelers would not negotiate with Shazier this year if he was always healthy

The steelers will do the same thing with Shazier as they did with Cam Heyward and Decastro.

And at least Shazier has always been healthy in the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="Steelheart is a jewel in the rough"> Steelheart's Avatar

Health is definitely the biggest concern. Really hoping he continues the upward trend in coverage. A lot of people knock Timmons and Williams but Shazier was never particularly great at it either. He did seem to improve this year though.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What are the thoughts on Matakevich? I'm thinking unless Williams takes a huge step forward, Tyler may just take that spot from him. I'm not overly impressed with either and would love to land another Shaz in this draft, but Matakevich may pass Williams over this season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    What are the thoughts on Matakevich? I'm thinking unless Williams takes a huge step forward, Tyler may just take that spot from him. I'm not overly impressed with either and would love to land another Shaz in this draft, but Matakevich may pass Williams over this season.
    Based on what? Matakevich's next big NFL play will be his first. He and Chicillo have to the two most over-hyped guys on the roster. Don't get me wrong they are great depth pieces, but everyone seems annually to breathlessly anticipate their arrival in the starting line-up and yet there is often no game film based reason for this excitement.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Based on what? Matakevich's next big NFL play will be his first. He and Chicillo have to the two most over-hyped guys on the roster. Don't get me wrong they are great depth pieces, but everyone seems annually to breathlessly anticipate their arrival in the starting line-up and yet there is often no game film based reason for this excitement.
    Reading too much into my post's first 2 sentences. Read on. NEED an ILB to play next to Shazier. All I'm saying is Matakevich may pass Williams on the depth chart, maybe in preseason. Williams is not the answer after Timmons. My question is what are the thoughts on Matakevich over Williams.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Reading too much into my post's first 2 sentences. Read on. NEED an ILB to play next to Shazier. All I'm saying is Matakevich may pass Williams on the depth chart, maybe in preseason. Williams is not the answer after Timmons. My question is what are the thoughts on Matakevich over Williams.
    I think with more playing time Red could pass Williams. The kid can tackle and has a nose for the ball.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10...uarter-action/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I think that we will see Williams & Matakevich as the backups here for a long time. One as the backup to Shazier, and the other as the backup to PERSON.

As of now...

Shazier Big Red
    Williams Big Red

In the future...

Shazier Williams
    PERSON Big Red

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Okay. That was a pretty solid fail for my reading comprehension skills. I just see both Williams and Red as the kind of ILB that pile up tackles as the offense nibbles 3-5 yard gains all the way down the field. I do hope they draft Teegre's PERSON this year or next.

Okay. That was a pretty solid fail for my reading comprehension skills. I just see both Williams and Red as the kind of ILB that pile up tackles as the offense nibbles 3-5 yard gains all the way down the field. I do hope they draft Teegre's PERSON this year or next.
    As do I. For some reason I really like Jarrad Davis. But...he would most likely have to be a 1st round pick. I think I would rather get Watt or Willis there.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I think that we will see Williams & Matakevich as the backups here for a long time. One as the backup to Shazier, and the other as the backup to PERSON.

As of now...

Shazier Big Red
    Williams Big Red

In the future...

Shazier Williams
    PERSON Big Red
    PERSON has all the skills...lol.

I agree with your assessment though. Not sure if I am in the minority or not but I don't think Williams is starter material. Hopefully I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

As of now...

Shazier Big Red
    Williams Big Red

In the future...

Shazier Williams
    PERSON Big Red
    Links to highlights and scouting reports or I call BS! No one can be as good as PERSON is reported to be! Don't be sheep and watch the film for yourself! Anyone with eyes can see that RANDOM SOB is a much better prosepct!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Links to highlights and scouting reports or I call BS! No one can be as good as PERSON is reported to be! Don't be sheep and watch the film for yourself! Anyone with eyes can see that RANDOM SOB is a much better prosepct!
    RANDOM SOB has a drinking problem... but, since it's the NFL, that's okay.

RANDOM SOB has a drinking problem... but, since it's the NFL, that's okay.
    If RANDOM SOB is as talented as DRUNKEN SOB(older brother maybe), I'm definitely a fan.

If RANDOM SOB is as talented as DRUNKEN SOB(older brother maybe), I'm definitely a fan.
    RANDOM SOB gets by on his brother's fame.

RANDOM NONAME gets no hype because he played at West Carolina A&T.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

PERSON may have a high ceiling, but Big Red is all guts and glory. Of course, he'll never be as good as Isaac Redman but I digress........

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    PERSON may have a high ceiling, but Big Red is all guts and glory. Of course, he'll never be as good as Isaac Redman but I digress........
    Cyphon likes this post.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Cyphon likes this post.

You always remember the names of all the Ghosts of Message Boards Past. How do you do that?

RANDOM SOB gets by on his brother's fame.

RANDOM NONAME gets no hype because he played at West Carolina A&T.
    Interesting, I tried to play at Carolina West's T&A.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You always remember the names of all the Ghosts of Message Boards Past. How do you do that?
    I have a detailed computer file on each one of you -er- I have a good memory.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Williams will be fine, especially playing behind our DL which is probably the best in FB right now. I agree we could use an upgrade, but I do not agree it needs to happen this year over 2 other bigger def needs.

IF.....Haason Reddick, Jarrad Davis, Rueben Foster, (Tyus Bowser, or TJ Watt(can play ILB or OLB)) are there at 30, they will have to be considered as the pick. If Williams were the answer, there would not have been such a big fuss over Hightower. Hightower was made an offer. Williams is a solid backup, but he needs to be upgraded. We must upgrade our slot CB, and hopefully add a ballhawk safety in the mix. The middle of our defense is exposed in the passing game.