Thread: Bruce Arians played key role in Steelers picking Antonio Brown

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Bruce Arians played key role in Steelers picking Antonio Brown

Antonio Brown's 40-time, small stature, and raw route running scared off 31 other teams during the 2010 NFL Draft.
    Brown's detractions did not deter former Steelers offensive coordinator and current Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians, who was delighted when Mike Tomlin asked him the following question when the Steelers were on the board with the 195th pick.
    "You like your little one-cut guy here?" Tomlin asked Arians, via ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "I love him right here," Arians said.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Bruce-...Brown-52411974

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Bruce Arians played key role in Steelers picking Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Antonio Brown's 40-time, small stature, and raw route running scared off 31 other teams during the 2010 NFL Draft.
    Brown's detractions did not deter former Steelers offensive coordinator and current Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians, who was delighted when Mike Tomlin asked him the following question when the Steelers were on the board with the 195th pick.
    "You like your little one-cut guy here?" Tomlin asked Arians, via ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "I love him right here," Arians said.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Bruce-...Brown-52411974
    this this this .... I preach it all the time
    Too much stock in the combine, not enough in the tape," Arians said. "[Brown's] tape was great."

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Too much stock in the combine, not enough in the tape," Arians said. "[Brown's] tape was great."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I use the combine to confirm what my eyes see in game situations. People that base their evaluations on a glorified physical fitness test are doomed to fail. Give me the football player that flashes every time you see him on tape....even when you're looking at someone else. Quality football players get it done in the live action on the field, not in shorts running drills without pads.

There is value to the combine, but not to the extent that many people seem to think from a pure football standpoint.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Thanks Bruce.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Hire Bruce Arians!
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Hire Bruce Arians!
    The last time we won a super bowl was with Bruce. I think he's a better head coach than Tomlin. Just look at what he did on the Colts and later on the Cardinals with Carson Palmer.

Tomlin fired him. Apparently, the reason was he was too close to Ben.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'll thank Bruce for that

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    The last time we won a super bowl was with Bruce. I think he's a better head coach than Tomlin. Just look at what he did on the Colts and later on the Cardinals with Carson Palmer.

I think Arians is just one of those guys who's a much better head coach than a coordinator. I mean, there were worse coordinators, but I always had mixed feelings about whether we were getting all we could out of the offense with him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post

Arians was fired because his last year as Steelers OC, the defense bailed out the offense in numerous low scoring games. (Look up the scores of 2011).

And Arians better than Tomlin as HC? That is a stretch. He just finished with a losing record with one of the most talented rosters in the league, Tomlin never even did that when his team underwent a complete roster overhaul

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Next season will tell us if Arians is an good/great coach or not.

Bad season can happen, but the important thing is to bounce back the season after.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Arians threads.

A corpse I thought should be dead but keeps crawling out of that hole.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Couldn't agree more...

Combine is very archaic in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away at some point in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Couldn't agree more...

Combine is very archaic in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes away at some point in the near future.
    I doubt it, NFL analysts and teams still put a lot of emphasis on it. Plus it's turned into a big media event so you can guarantee it won't go away before commissioner asshat finally goes away as commissioner

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I doubt it, NFL analysts and teams still put a lot of emphasis on it. Plus it's turned into a big media event so you can guarantee it won't go away before commissioner asshat finally goes away as commissioner
    This. The league is probably making too much money off of it.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Couldn't agree more...

if it wasnt for the Media $$$ it probably would , it still serves a purpose but that isnt the part that is highlighted in the media ..

for me the highest function it delivers to teams is ...

1) Medical check all done in 1 place for every invitee

2) a chance to talk with a bunch prospects in short order while talks with the prior ones are still fresh in your mind giving you some level of clarity on football IQ

3) a opportunity to see if a prospect has more ability to be harnessed that has not yet shown up on tape , the difficult part is determining if you can get that potential out of him or not

but at the end of the day if you do not love the tape that said prospect has put out there #3 should not be much of a factor but sadly many times is seemingly is

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Something else to blame on the commissioner. Never mind that he is employed by the owners and his primary responsibility is to make money for them. No, it won't go away until the owners decide they want to give up a large chunk of money. And that's not going to happen, because they save a ton of that money going to one place to interview several players, check medical stuff, etcetera.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Thank you, Bruce Arians, for AB.

At the same time, Bruce deserves to be chastised for leaking the following first round picks to Ed Bouchette the: Darrelle Revis, Branden Albert, and JJ Watt. In each case, Arians told Bouchette that the Steelers had interest in those players, and in turn, those players went from "late R1 picks" to "Hey, the Steelers are looking at this guy, maybe we should draft him!!!"

Timmons wasn't that bad of a consolation prize... but, it still hurt.

I'd argue that Heyward is the second best 3-4 DE behind Watt (so, that's really not that much of a loss).

But, Albert would have been such a better pick than Spinny.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Thank you, Bruce Arians, for AB.

At the same time, Bruce deserves to be chastised for leaking the following first round picks to Ed Bouchette the: Darrelle Revis, Branden Albert, and JJ Watt. In each case, Arians told Bouchette that the Steelers had interest in those players, and in turn, those players went from "late R1 picks" to "Hey, the Steelers are looking at this guy, maybe we should draft him!!!"

Timmons wasn't that bad of a consolation prize... but, it still hurt.

I'd argue that Heyward is the second best 3-4 DE behind Watt (so, that's really not that much of a loss).

But, Albert would have been such a better pick than Spinny.
    Thats a major L for us. Yeah, Heyward is definitely one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league, at worst the 3rd best (behind Campbell), but the disparity between JJ Watt and any defensive player at any position is enormous. All 3 of his defensive player of the year awards are legit
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Thats a major L for us. Yeah, Heyward is definitely one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league, at worst the 3rd best (behind Campbell), but the disparity between JJ Watt and any defensive player at any position is enormous. All 3 of his defensive player of the year awards are legit
    You're right.

But, in order to not cry myself to sleep, I ignore that fact.

Senior Member Array title="Steelheart is a jewel in the rough"> Steelheart's Avatar

Absolutely. Loved what Bill Belichick said about it last year as well and surprised you don't hear more from coaches about it. I am not even sure I would bother with the combine as a coach. Give me tape or live games all day.