Thread: Do We Need To Draft A Center ?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Do We Need To Draft A Center ?

I remember Pouncey saying he will retire when #7 retires. Would really sux to lose a top qb and top center at the same time.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Do We Need To Draft A Center ?

If Ben retires, we have more important things to worry about than who's playing center - namely, who's playing QB. Take care of that first.

Also, as long as we have Munchak, we can plug-and-play a stopgap center and the entire line won't collapse. Hell, we've played without Pouncey for entire seasons and had one of the best lines in the league. That takes off a lot of pressure to make a big move at a weird time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

is this a joke ?

I mean many do not want to hear about drafting a QB and we got folks worried about who would play Center IF Pouncey decided to retire when Ben does ...

like Steelreserve says if Ben goes and Pouncey follows we have far bigger issues than Pouncey leaving

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

This is the last thing that we need.....

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If Ben retires, we have more important things to worry about than who's playing center - namely, who's playing QB. Take care of that first.

Also, as long as we have Munchak, we can plug-and-play a stopgap center and the entire line won't collapse. Hell, we've played without Pouncey for entire seasons and had one of the best lines in the league. That takes off a lot of pressure to make a big move at a weird time.
    This
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I remember Pouncey saying he will retire when #7 retires. Would really sux to lose a top qb and top center at the same time.
    There is already a backup for every OL position. Not really a need in this draft. But......there are a couple of interesting prospects that can play G/C in this draft. If Munch does indeed get a 'toy' this draft, it could be one of those guys for sure. IF, to play along, Pouncey retires, Foster may not be that far behind him. An OL draft next season could be a fun thing. Provided we get this one right first.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    There is already a backup for every OL position. Not really a need in this draft. But......there are a couple of interesting prospects that can play G/C in this draft. If Munch does indeed get a 'toy' this draft, it could be one of those guys for sure. IF, to play along, Pouncey retires, Foster may not be that far behind him. An OL draft next season could be a fun thing. Provided we get this one right first.
    Just brought it up cause somewhat of a concern if Ben does retire after this year. Not something most think about and me included till I remembered it today. Top 5 centers aren't easily replaced either.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

with all the talk of positions that might become a need in the future you would think we dont have any actual needs right now
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Pouncey is a very good player when healthy. Unfortuantley he's had two lower body injures. While out of action, he has been replaced twice by two differnt journyeman, and the Steelers offense preformed just fine without him.

We do not need to draft a center in the early rounds. Pouncey's value to the team is not as high as some other key players.

Speaking of interior lineman Finney impressed me big time as a starter. IMO, he's as good or better than Foster is now, and might be able to play center if needed for the future.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers do not need to worry about OL, it's pretty stacked right now

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There are more than a few threads already that are about current team needs in this draft. This thread seems to be a totally different discussion about the OL. Not about current need, more looking at the near future drafts. I see it as a break from the constant bickering about this prospect vs the other prospect that has been going on for months now. Not required reading by any means, but here if you have a thought. Thanks for trying Jim, but looks like this forum is too entrenched in bicker mode to notice much else.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I don't think we need to draft a center. We have one of the best centers in the NFL and we have good, quality depth behind Pouncey. Plus, I doubt Pouncey retires when Ben does. I think he was just saying that.