Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    the last statement seems to be the case ...

but I still contend that all expectations of the league need to be made clear at the time of suspension as the path back to the league , I contend it should be done in writing and with copies to remain in league office , with Player , Agent and a 4th with the team in which he was/is a member so when it comes time to reapply everyone is on the exact same page as to what the expectations where and what transpired on behalf of the player in order to get his affairs in order and back within league graces and if he falls short letters should go out outlining where he failed to meet the agreement as everyone mentioned has a stake in that players future

I do not believe that is an unrealistic expectation for a multi billion dollar league to have in place as a standard
    That's because you care about this stuff - or at least do when it applies to a good player on your favorite team. But the NFL couldn't care less. The teams kinda sorta care - but the owners voted for profits and "player conduct policy" over transparency last CBA, and the NFLPA is a bunch of morons who didn't realize what the hell they actually voted for.

Goodell works for the owners. No one else. He and the NFL rammed a CBA through that is good for the owners and gives the league massive discretionary powers to enforce player conduct issues. The whole "protect the shield thing". No one actually thought through how that would work - so in each case the NFL whips something out of its ass that typically has NO goal towards anything besides standing up in court so that "Concussions 2.0" can never happen.

With this BS plan from Bryant, that will only be looked at by lawyers from the NFL, they can go through any possible future negative outcomes and be legally protected. In fact, the courts will likely find that they attempted to act proactively in the interests of their employee/player.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

One really great question that has still come up with anything like a good explanation for is - this could've been done at any time in the past couple of months, so instead why does the moron in the commissioner's office waits all the way until now to give an answer, and that answer is STILL not yes, not no, just "well, maybe."

Keeping some very important, very real and timely decisions up in the air for no good reason at all. Seriously, fuck that guy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    One really great question that has still come up with anything like a good explanation for is - this could've been done at any time in the past couple of months, so instead why does the moron in the commissioner's office waits all the way until now to give an answer, and that answer is STILL not yes, not no, just "well, maybe."

Keeping some very important, very real and timely decisions up in the air for no good reason at all. Seriously, fuck that guy.

I can agree completely with this sentiment. I still don't believe it's any personal vendetta against Bryant or the Steelers, just not buying that one. AND I feel like it's all Bryant's fault this is even happening in the first place. However, if there were going to be separate, personalized, player specific, requirements for Bryant's reinstatement, those requirements could have been laid out sooner than April. It doesn't effect the Commissioner's office directly so the Commish waited until the last hour to decide what that requirement would be for Bryant. That part stinks.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

With all this speculation about what went down, how come we haven't heard from Bryant?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    With all this speculation about what went down, how come we haven't heard from Bryant?
    He's smart and keeping his mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

If I'm Marty, I'm doing everything I can to create a plan to present to the NFL so I can play again.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    If I'm Marty, I'm doing everything I can to create a plan to present to the NFL so I can play again.
    He's probably just getting his "papers" together.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I can agree completely with this sentiment. I still don't believe it's any personal vendetta against Bryant or the Steelers, just not buying that one. AND I feel like it's all Bryant's fault this is even happening in the first place. However, if there were going to be separate, personalized, player specific, requirements for Bryant's reinstatement, those requirements could have been laid out sooner than April. It doesn't effect the Commissioner's office directly so the Commish waited until the last hour to decide what that requirement would be for Bryant. That part stinks.
    I'm not really a fan of the whole "Goodell Steelers vendetta" theory; it's a bit of a stretch. There may be individual players on his shit list who he goes out of his way to be a hard-ass on (see: Harrison, James). Maybe Bryant is one of them.

More importantly, though - decisions like this are the result of arrogance and incompetence in equal measures, which is just as bad of a problem. Goodell shown repeatedly that when it comes to player conduct and the PR-for-the-league's-image battle, he is in way over his head and he does a lot of button-mashing. With pretty much every significant PR issue going back to Ray Rice and ESPN Concussion Sunday, he comes up with some random one-off hipshooting response that inevitably makes an even bigger PR mess than if he'd done nothing at all. For some reason, it looks like he decided to start freelancing again, this time on the weed front with Bryant as the test case. Frustrating to take an extra hit because of that stupidity.

Yes, it is primarily Bryant's fault, but I give no thanks to the commissioner for making it even worse. I mean, the timing - come on, really?

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    He's probably just getting his "papers" together.
    4/20 is Thursday and apparently it's National Weed Week in the media. If he makes it through that, maybe he can hold it together until the day after the Super Bowl, which is all I'm really expecting in the best case anyway.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

tl;dr a look at all the office does in March and April and all the responsibilities placed on others for getting material into the office on time makes the date of the decision much less suspect. ALSO--Goodell doesn't just make arbitrary decisions such as relapse prevention plans. He is advised by four different reviewing entities before making such decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I quoted this originally because I read it wrong and thought you were saying it was a vendetta. That clarified (that it isn't), I've been wondering why it would take this long as well. So, I went and looked at what might have been filling his schedule.

First, a timeline.

Late January: Bryant must apply for reinstatement.

January-March: Bryant is responsible for getting all documents, including legal docs, any arrests, and anything else asked for by the league concerning behavior and drug abuse within sixty days.

January-March: Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the Player will be interviewed by the Medical Director and the Medical Adviser, after which a recommendation will be made to the Commissioner with regard to the Player’s request for reinstatement (Appendix B1 of the NFL drug policy).
    Let's stop here. Do we know if all documents were submitted in a timely manner by Bryant? Was something missing on accident that he had to later go back and retrieve, then send to Goodell? Do we know if the Medical Director and Medical Adviser documents were submitted in a timely fashion?

Jan-March: The NFLPA and Commissioner's staff both review players substance abuse history and documents, including counseling sessions, 12 step, progess reports, and all diagnostic findings And Treatment Recommendations.
    So, that takes us to the end of March. Let us assume all the documents came in two weeks before the 60 days (a reasonable assumption as there are several steps and at least five different parties submitting materials—the player, the Medical Director, the Medical Adviser, the NFLPA, and the Commissioner's staff.) In that scenario, he has had all documents for the last month. What has happened in that last month.

March 9
    1. Free agency begins
    2. 2017 Salary cap begins
    3. All transactions submitted to league goes out to clubs.

March 11

1. NFL Regional combines begin.

March 1-26
    1. Preparation of possible rule changes for annual league meetings. That would include reviews, fielding other changes, etc.
    2. Preparation of reports for annual meeting.
    3. Finalizing investigation of possible move of Oakland to Las Vegas and fielding questions from owners who must vote on the issue.
    4. numerous other preparations for the annual board of directors meeting (which the owners meeting is, in many ways).

March 26-29
    1. Annual League meeting.

April 3
    1. Teams with new coaches can start Offseason program. Decisions to allow these programs must be made by NFL prior to April 3.

On Going Concerns

1. Salary cap consideration through free agent signings
    2. NFL draft preparations
    3. Any ongoing behind-the-scenes negotiations concerning contracts for advertising, NFL rights for broadcasting, etc.
    4. Other things we may not even know about.

Now, you may say, "But wait, the Commissioner isn't involved personally in everything." True, to a point. However, remember that his people are and at least some of them will sit on the review board before it goes to him. Second, he's going to be involved in most of it. Furthermore, virtually everything listed here involves followup.

After looking at this schedule and all the things the commissioner has coming across his desk, I have to say the time it took to make this decision is within the appropriate range, and that is IF everything came to his desk on time. If it didn't, then he's had to wait even longer to get it and make a decision in an even shorter time.

One last thing to note . . . It seems I was wrong. The Medical Adviser and Medical Director, along with the NFLPA and Commissioner's staff make recommendations to the commissioner. The medical people are fully qualified to make referrals concerning drug dependence. Furthermore, my guess is once the referrals come in, there are phone calls to be made back and forth to develop a consensus. Thus, my guess would be that a "how to keep sober" program was the consensus of the four different reviewing entities.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

^^^

No, no, no... This all has to be because Goodell hates the Steelers, hates the Rooneys and wants to punish James Harrison!!!

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    ^^^

No, no, no... This all has to be because Goodell hates the Steelers, hates the Rooneys and wants to punish James Harrison!!!
    It's the only logical answer! Hahaha

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

And I'm still gonna chime in with this because no one at all asked....lol Someone call Anquan Boldin please.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    And I'm still gonna chime in with this because no one at all asked....lol Someone call Anquan Boldin please.
    They will....... probably the Patriots :-/