Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Pardon me but someone needs to kick Goodell in the nuts.

I know many of you have been asking about Martavis Bryant’s trip to the Big Apple on Thursday. Sporting News’ Alex Marvez provides us with our first update.

According to his report, Bryant did not meet with Roger Goodell but the NFL’s Management Council. The council had some stipulations for Bryant before being considered for reinstatement.
    “Among the conditions for being cleared to play again, Bryant was told to assemble a plan detailing safeguards that would help him prevent a relapse upon returning to Pittsburgh, the source said.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04...reinstatement/

BurghBoy412

Re: Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Logical and completely understandable. The league has been burned too many times. I like how they are tightening things up. They are making things a lot more "real world" for these players. IMO it should be that way. Second chances aren't a reality for the rest of the population. Why should they be for a football player? What do they really contribute to society anyway? They play a game. Yes, a game that citizens take way way too seriously. Living a form of vicarious glory through another person. It's a really strange and intriguing subject.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Logical and completely understandable. The league has been burned too many times. I like how they are tightening things up. They are making things a lot more "real world" for these players. IMO it should be that way. Second chances aren't a reality for the rest of the population. Why should they be for a football player? What do they really contribute to society anyway? They play a game. Yes, a game that citizens take way way too seriously. Living a form of vicarious glory through another person. It's a really strange and intriguing subject.

Bryant has been suspended for one year.

I think Bryant has been punished enough.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

And they wait 2 weeks before the draft to tell him? This should have been told to him in February.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    And they wait 2 weeks before the draft to tell him? This should have been told to him in February.

another bullshit Goodell stunt ...

bottom line he should have been reinstated the first day of the new league year

he was suspended 1 year not more ....

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I hate Goodell, but he's not wrong here.

Bryant was repeatedly told not to break the rules, and he did it anyway. Now he has to earn it back.

He put himself in this position, not the NFL.

Second chances aren't a reality for the rest of the population. Why should they be for a football player?
    Second chances are a reality, but there also has to be an effort on part of the person who wants it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.n...APolicy_v2.pdf

Page 30

I guess he didn't know until the meeting what they want him to do next.

I am afraid that the Steelers are going to waste a pick on a WR in the first 3 round, a pick better served on a defensive playmaker

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'll be monitoring your reaction when Colbert doesn't pick any of players from your mocks.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'll be monitoring your reaction when Colbert doesn't pick any of players from your mocks.
    It would be wise of him to avoid all players that I've mocked. I have no idea what I'm talking about. haha Besides gambling does require a lil bit of seriousness. Haha

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Goodell changing the rules as he goes along once again
    (2016)
    APPENDIX B
    Procedures for Reinstatement
    Following Stage Three Banishment
    Any Player who has been banished
    under Stage Three may apply formally in writing for
    reinstatement no sooner than 60 days before the one
    year anniversary date of the letter so
    banishing him.
    The application should include all pertinent information about the
    Player’s
    :
    (a)Treatment;

(b)
    Abstinence from Substances of
    Abuse throughout the entire period of his banishment
    ;
    (c)Involvement with any Substances of
    Abuse related incidents; and

(d)
    Arrests and/or convictions for any criminal activity, including
    Substances of Abuse related offenses Set forth below are the procedures to be used when an application is received by the Commissioner.

Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the Player will be interviewed by the
    Medical Director and the Medical Advisor
    ,after which a recommendation will be made to the Commissioner with regard to the
    Player’s request for reinstatement.

The Player will execute appropriate medical release forms that will enable the
    Commissioner’s staff and NFLPA Executive Director’s staff to review the Player’s
    substance abuse history, including but not limited to attendance at counseling sessions
    (individual, group and family); attendance at 12 step and other self help group
    meetings; periodic progress reports; and all diagnostic findings and treatment
    recommendations.

The Player will submit to urine
    testing by an NFL representative at a frequency
    determined by the Medical Advisor.

The Player will agree in a meeting with the Commissioner or his representative(s) to
    comply with the conditions imposed by the Commissioner for his reinstatement to the
    status of an active Player.

All individuals involved in the process will take steps to enable the Commissioner to
    render a decision within 60 days of the receipt of the application.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I guess part 4 is where we're stuck currently?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Actually, the terms of his reinstatement should have been made clear to him the minute he was suspended.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    I hate Goodell, but he's not wrong here.

Bryant was repeatedly told not to break the rules, and he did it anyway. Now he has to earn it back.

He put himself in this position, not the NFL.

Second chances are a reality, but there also has to be an effort on part of the person who wants it.
    I could've worded that better. Second chances aren't always given. I agree it's on the person that made the mistake to earn another chance.

I don't think this in this case it's just about Bryant. Think about all the bags that have been given a second chance by Roger and then went out and did the same thing. I think Bryant is kinda paying for other guys mistakes here. Right or wrong there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Like Coach Tomlin said he's not part of the plan right now. When you screw up opportunity passes you bye. That is life.

If he is reinstated I hope he can treat his opportunity to play football for a living more like a gift. Instead of treating it wrecklessly and taking it for granted. It would be a shame to see him end up like the countless others who were gifted beyond belief, but couldn't get their shit together. I'm cheering for the guy to get a second chance but I also refuse to buy into giving him a second chance because he's an incredible talent. Just because I want my team to have another weapon. He's gotta prove himself at this point. Again and again and again...

BurghBoy412

Does anybody know the when his 60 days is up?

Does anybody know the when his 60 days is up?
    its been up for almost 2 months ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Good. I think it was a good decision for the league and a good decision for Bryant. A plan not to relapse? Whoda thunk it? Time for Bryant to get his act together before he ends up like that Cleveland receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Good. I think it was a good decision for the league and a good decision for Bryant. A plan not to relapse? Whoda thunk it? Time for Bryant to get his act together before he ends up like that Cleveland receiver.

while I agree with the plan , I do not agree with how it was not made clear from the beginning and not within the standard rules that Bryant could go look at and say ok check , check , check ,check , check ... ok time to apply for reinstatement

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The truth is that we don't know what stupid stuff came out of Bryant's mouth when he was in the meeting. The guy is fast and has pretty good hands but he's not that bright.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

The truth is that we don't know what stupid stuff came out of Bryant's mouth when he was in the meeting. The guy is fast and has pretty good hands but he's not that bright.
    No we don't know what came out of his mouth, but at the same time we do know that this should have been addressed much sooner and that Go-To-Hell purposely drug his feet and then came up with this bull snot committee to render a decision that has never been applied before. I don't have a problem with them telling him what they told him, but the fact that it comes 2 weeks before the draft reeks of trying to screw both Bryant and the Steelers.

I personally can't stand Go-To-Hell and this is just another case of how this asshole is trying to screw the Steelers and their players at every opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    No we don't know what came out of his mouth, but at the same time we do know that this should have been addressed much sooner and that Go-To-Hell purposely drug his feet and then came up with this bull snot committee to render a decision that has never been applied before. I don't have a problem with them telling him what they told him, but the fact that it comes 2 weeks before the draft reeks of trying to screw both Bryant and the Steelers.

I personally can't stand Go-To-Hell and this is just another case of how this asshole is trying to screw the Steelers and their players at every opportunity.
    I guess that's the other side of the coin. Personally, I don't feel the empathy for Bryant. He's a two-time offender who is one offense away from being out of the league. Whether asked ahead of time or not, he should have a plan to prevent relapse. The harder Goodell is on him perhaps the more he'll think about rolling that next doob.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post

Agreed. No legitimate reason for Commissioner Asshat to intentionally drag his feet on this and wait until 2 weeks before the draft to tell him "Come up with a relapse prevention plan or no reinstatement". By the way, I like how Asshat didn't give any specifics on what the plan should entail which opens him up to arbitrarily reject any legitimate relapse prevention plan.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I guess part 4 is where we're stuck currently?
    That's what I'm thinking.

I guess that's the other side of the coin. Personally, I don't feel the empathy for Bryant. He's a two-time offender who is one offense away from being out of the league. Whether asked ahead of time or not, he should have a plan to prevent relapse. The harder Goodell is on him perhaps the more he'll think about rolling that next doob.
    but it should not be a make it up as you go along situation , and that is exactly what this seems to be since it is not in the NFLPA agreement

all should have to follow the SAME pre agreed upon terms between league and union

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    but it should not be a make it up as you go along situation , and that is exactly what this seems to be since it is not in the NFLPA agreement

all should have to follow the SAME pre agreed upon terms between league and union
    And that is why the players and the union are basically the worst negotiators of all time. To get the last CBA done they traded a minor increase in the overall % of team profits that went into salary and in return they got a rookie wage scale (so most guys have their earnings capped for the majority of their careers, but yeah, rookies won't make more than vets!), a salary floor that doesn't actually help players, and ZERO say in how the league conducts business and player conduct decisions.

It is comical how little the NFLPA was able to get.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

More bullshit from the NFL and Goodell. If that's part of the terms for reinstatement, then tell the players ahead of time instead of just dragging it out.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post

Who knows that it wasn't a RESPONSE to how Bryant presented himself??? I'm not ready to make a positive assumption based on his past character issues, including Ben calling him out as a liar.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

THIS!! Completely!!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Who knows that it wasn't a RESPONSE to how Bryant presented himself??? I'm not ready to make a positive assumption based on his past character issues, including Ben calling him out as a liar.
    It's not listed in the procedures for reinstatement posted by Secondaryconcerns above. That tells me that yes, once again the NFL and Goodell are making it up as they go along and not handling each case the same as required by the CBA.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    It's not listed in the procedures for reinstatement posted by Secondaryconcerns above. That tells me that yes, once again the NFL and Goodell are making it up as they go along and not handling each case the same as required by the CBA.
    It's obviously in the rules that he can make up the rules. As noted above by Mojouw, the players union signed off on all this.

I'm for anything that will help Bryant walk the straight and narrow. That's why I refuse to see this as a negative. I have no confidence that this guy now gets it. He needs extreme structure and boundaries IMO.