Thread: may be to soon but can not help but wonder

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

may be to soon but can not help but wonder

with the passing of Dan Rooney how will this effect the franchise

who inherits his stock in the team , will they keep that stock ?

can Art II do the job without Dan's guidance ?

will they still conduct business in the same manner ?

a lot of things I am not sure anyone truly has answers to at this time but certainly concerning in terms of our beloved Steelers

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: may be to soon but can not help but wonder

I don't think Dan Rooney had been very involved in the nuts-and-bolts operation of the team for several years, so probably what we see already is what we get.

I've never really been super impressed with Art II for whatever reason, but I guess he hasn't really done anything terribly wrong either, so maybe that's just my imagination.

Most of the team is owned by other investors anyway since the big "restructuring" several years ago - I believe the current governor of Illinois, who was a big private-equity fund mogul, actually owns more than the Rooneys. But those kinds of people have been the silent partners while the Rooneys run the football side of things, at least publicly. So all that is probably not going to be affected much either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

His son Art has been running things for a few years now.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Yes It is fairly common knowledge Art II is the front man but I always figured things probably still had to pass by Dan or at least major things , maybe that is just something in my mind and not a reality ,

I thought Dan was still the Majority owner after the restructure via loans etc guess maybe not ?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/po...ip-at-a-glance

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    with the passing of Dan Rooney how will this effect the franchise

who inherits his stock in the team , will they keep that stock ?

can Art II do the job without Dan's guidance ?

will they still conduct business in the same manner ?

a lot of things I am not sure anyone truly has answers to at this time but certainly concerning in terms of our beloved Steelers

As you know Art II son, Dan is already involved as a scout. I'm sure his grandfathers passing will step up his place in the organization.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I've never felt like Art II had the connection to the team and players like Dan had. He doesn't know these guys personally. I feel that the team has lost those personal relationships with the passing of Dan.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The players obviously had a lot of love for Dan. This is the mourning time for the Rooneys, family and extended family. That includes us fans to an extent. The business side of the team will continue as usual. Our guys have always been dedicated to the Steelers' cause. I think maybe a little more focus now. Partly as a way to think on something other than the loss of Mr. Rooney, and also partly in honor of Mr. Rooney.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    I thought Dan was still the Majority owner after the restructure via loans etc guess maybe not ?

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/po...ip-at-a-glance

I think he's the recognized owner/representative of the team to the league, but in reality it's like: Rooney family - 30%; McGinley family - 20%; New billionaire guy(s) - ~40%; plus a bunch of other people who have token stakes of like 1% each.

In practical terms, the Rooneys run the team and I don't think any of the new people are even interested in trying to run the team; it's an investment. None of that seems likely to change.

Now, it could get screwed up if the government came and demanded a 45% cut for inheritance tax, but if they're smart they set it up so the company is its own entity and doesn't count as "personal" assets, which I imagine any organization like this would've done long ago, otherwise every family-run company in America would go out of business or be sold off as soon as the founder died.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I've never felt like Art II had the connection to the team and players like Dan had. He doesn't know these guys personally. I feel that the team has lost those personal relationships with the passing of Dan.
    We don't know if that is the case or not.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

This. However, Art II strikes me as more of the "corporate" type of owner that Goodell seems to prefer, so maybe dickhead will back off going forward.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    This. However, Art II strikes me as more of the "corporate" type of owner that Goodell seems to prefer, so maybe dickhead will back off going forward.
    Art II does seem more like the modern day owners. Wasn't the rumor that Cowher and him (Art II) didn't really get along? Who knows...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Art II does seem more like the modern day owners. Wasn't the rumor that Cowher and him (Art II) didn't really get along? Who knows...
    Yep, that's the way I always understood it.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I remember HTG had a particular dislike for Art II. Something about being slimy as a lawyer or a reputation of not treating people right. I can't recall specifics, but she had dealings with him along her professional career.
    Oh, yes - HTG was a paralegal at one point and worked for a lawyer who faced off in court against Art II a number of times. She couldn't stand him.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    We don't know if that is the case or not.
    I think that it's a pretty safe bet that it's the case. I never see pictures of him talking to the players like we've seen from Dan all the time. I've also never heard a single player talk about him like they did constantly about Dan.

As FS76 said, Art II is more of the corporate type. He runs the team as more of just a business than Dan did and unfortunately I don't see that changing.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I remember HTG had a particular dislike for Art II. Something about being slimy as a lawyer or a reputation of not treating people right. I can't recall specifics, but she had dealings with him along her professional career.
    I don't know if you can really read anything into it, but I was fortunate enough to meet the guy very briefly once and was not all that impressed. Nothing more than a minute or two chat-and-a-handshake kind of thing but - certain famous VIP-type folks like that, you meet them and can instantly tell you're talking to someone who's on another level from most people in the world. He was just a random guy with a kind of distant personality.

Like, instead of going, "Wow! What a thrill to meet HIM!" I was kind of left kind of shrugging my shoulders and going "Hmm, I wonder what the hell that was all about?" It seemed like he had better things to do than be at a football game.

As I said, probably not a hell of a lot you can take away from some random one-off encounter where any number of things could have been going on that day. But my only impression of him is an odd one.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I think that it's a pretty safe bet that it's the case. I never see pictures of him talking to the players like we've seen from Dan all the time. I've also never heard a single player talk about him like they did constantly about Dan.

As FS76 said, Art II is more of the corporate type. He runs the team as more of just a business than Dan did and unfortunately I don't see that changing.
    Yep, I just can't picture Art II making the rounds in the locker room after a game to shake players' hands the way his father and grandfather did. And I certainly can't picture him doing things like this:

The Chief and Dan were "football people" and Art II simply isn't - that's my impression, at least.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Yep, I just can't picture Art II making the rounds in the locker room after a game to shake players' hands the way his father and grandfather did. And I certainly can't picture him doing things like this:

The Chief and Dan were "football people" and Art II simply isn't - that's my impression, at least.
    And honestly, I don't think that there's anything wrong with a different style of running the team. I know that some may not like it, but nobody on here really knows what he's truly like as an owner, despite what is said on here. It drives me a little batty when some speak so ill of him. God bless HTG, but Art II the lawyer and Art II the owner could very easily be 2 different people. He will never be a Dan Rooney and that's ok. He needs to be the best version of him.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

i'm not trying to argue with you or say that you're wrong (we don't know what the truth is), but maybe Art does talk to the players. Just because we haven't seen any pictures of it or haven't heard any players say anything, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    And honestly, I don't think that there's anything wrong with a different style of running the team. I know that some may not like it, but nobody on here really knows what he's truly like as an owner, despite what is said on here. It drives me a little batty when some speak so ill of him. God bless HTG, but Art II the lawyer and Art II the owner could very easily be 2 different people. He will never be a Dan Rooney and that's ok. He needs to be the best version of him.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post

Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, I have nothing personal against Art II, but he's just not his father or grandfather. Dan Rooney was pretty much the last of the old guard, a millionaire (as opposed to billionaire) whose fortune was made entirely by the NFL's explosive prosperity from the 1950s to now. Pretty much every other team owner out there is a billionaire Johnny-come-lately who made enough money elsewhere to buy a team.

I'm just bummed because it's the end of an era, of sorts.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

You know what's really sad about all this is that not only will things be different for the Steelers organization, but the NFL is going to change as well. Dan was the man who got things done when others stood around with their heads in the sand.

I understand that godel and owners like kraft, jones and others say great things about Dan but to me those words are hollow. The Steelers organization was singled out for of all things their ties to horse racing, yet they are the ones who stand behind the Raiders move to Vegas. That's who Dan is a forgiving man who stands as a giant amongst men. Very big shoes for anyone to fill. As much as I worry about what will happen with the Steelers I am see more foreboding with what will now happen with the NFL. I hope I am wrong but I don't see a lot of hope when people like jones, kraft and godel are running things.

R.I.P. Dan Rooney

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Dan Rooney never had to fire a single head coach.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Dan Rooney never had to fire a single head coach.
    Just take a minute to measure the weight of that simple statement.

Dan was truly a 'fix the problem' guy. Modern society has become a 'replace the problem' society.

Oh yeah, I have nothing personal against Art II, but he's just not his father or grandfather. Dan Rooney was pretty much the last of the old guard, a millionaire (as opposed to billionaire) whose fortune was made entirely by the NFL's explosive prosperity from the 1950s to now. Pretty much every other team owner out there is a billionaire Johnny-come-lately who made enough money elsewhere to buy a team.

I'm just bummed because it's the end of an era, of sorts
    QFT

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I know this sounds hollow, but I feel like the Steelers will play out of their minds inspired football this upcoming season.

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg