Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rest In Peace Daniel M. Rooney

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Re: Rest In Peace Daniel M. Rooney

May you RIP Mr Rooney!! We are gonna win the super bowl this season just for you!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Steelers President Art Rooney II on Ambassador Daniel M. Rooney:

"It is a sad day for my family and me. My father meant so much to all of us, and so much to so many past and present members of the Steelers organization. He gave his heart and soul to the Steelers, the National Football League, and the City of Pittsburgh.

"We will celebrate his life and the many ways he left us in a better place."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'm walking along the river walk, and I look up at the screen at Heinz Field... where I see Dan Rooney's picture up on the screen.

My heart sank.

BurghBoy412

Thank you Mr. Rooney! Peace be with you.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

RIP what a sad day

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Sad news. They don't make them like Dan Rooney anymore.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

A remarkable man and legend in the Burgh. Sad day, RIP Papa Rooney.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

RIP Mr. Rooney.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Gone but never forgotten

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

The outpouring of thoughts and support from other franchises is really nice to see.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04...ooney-stories/

Nice write up by Alex and the Franco story was insightful. I never heard that story at all.

I need to buy Mr. Rooney's book.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

God rest your soul Dan and prayers go out to the Rooney family. Thank you Dan for making us the best organization in sports and the best team in the NFL!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Here's a story from Tony Dungy about Dan that I had never heard before. This was as important as the hiring of Coach Noll to form those great 70's Steeler teams.

“I’ll tell you another story about Dan Rooney that really probably has as much to do with the success of the early Steelers teams of any,” Dungy said. “When he hired Coach Noll there was another hiring that didn’t generate as much buzz but was just as important. There was a gentleman by the name of Bill Nunn who wrote for the African-American newspaper, The Courier, in Pittsburgh and for years the Steelers were losing and Bill wrote some scathing articles about their scouting department, about the fact that they didn’t have a lot of black players on the team, and really very critical.

And Dan called Bill Nunn and said, ‘Hey, would you come to lunch with me?’ And he said, ‘You know what, you’ve been critical of us. Do you have some suggestions? How can we do this better?’ At the end of the lunch he said, ‘Bill, why don’t you come work for us?’ And he talked Bill Nunn into leaving his job at The Courier and becoming a scout. Bill got the jump on a lot of other teams in the NFL at that time in scouting the predominantly black colleges. You look at that roster, Mel Blount, Glen Edwards, Sam Davis our offensive captain, Frank Lewis, John Stallworth, Ernie Holmes. Guys from those SWAC schools, predominantly black schools, they got the edge, but it was really from Dan not reacting negatively to a bad situation but saying, ‘Let’s talk, how can we make this better?'”

I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So, Mr. Rooney kicked his son out so Ike could sleep in his office

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Pitt-h...elmet-52315146

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

they will be having a viewing at Heinz field knowing full well a funeral home will not house the mass of people that will likely pay their respects

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...man-dan-rooney

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The latest in the line of a great football family. RIP Dan Rooney.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Avery sad day and, RIP Mr. Rooney. It's nice to see the kind words that the rest of the NFL has expressed.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Very nice sign of respect

Barack Obama will attend the funeral of Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney, who under the president served as ambassador to Ireland.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...ersion=pgevoke

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/fa...s-cam-heyward/

Great article w/contributions by The Bus, Hines, Shazier and Heyward.

8 pall bearers ... 7 grandsons and Ike Taylor

a bond till the end

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

There are very few men in the world like Dan Rooney alive today. He walked with kings yet he never gave up being a common man. Honest, respected, and loved.

RIP and thank you for being a fantastic owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers.