Thread: How Does Ben Roethlisberger Stack Up Against the All-Time NFL Greats?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

How Does Ben Roethlisberger Stack Up Against the All-Time NFL Greats?

Winning a Super Bowl is never easy. Even when the odds are in your favor, the Lombardi Trophy doesn’t simply just fall into your lap. If that were the case, then perhaps many of these talented teams would’ve been the last ones standing rather than coming up short in their quest for immortality.

In a league as competitive as the NFL, teams need to step up their game — particularly in the postseason — if they hope to stand any chance of climbing to the top of the sport’s mountain. Over the years, and through the course of its existence, one franchise has managed to do this more frequently than any other team in the history of the game– the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Blessed with everything from quality coaching staffs to historically great defenses, the Steelers have stormed to a league-best six world championships. Make no mistake, as we noted before, this doesn’t just happen. It requires discipline, focus, a little luck, and, of course, the ultimate cherry on top — a legitimate franchise quarterback.

Fortunately for the current Pittsburgh Steelers, they’ve had the latter on their roster since 2004; when they made the wise decision to select a 6-foot-5 quarterback out of Miami (OH), Ben Roethlisberger.

read more

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/ben...=yahoo?src=rss

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: How Does Ben Roethlisberger Stack Up Against the All-Time NFL Greats?

If he wins a 3rd, people will remember his career for a long time. 2 more and he puts himself in a totally different conversation.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm only concerned with how he stacks up in Steelers lore. Fans of other teams can have their heroes. I'll stick with mine.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

If Ben plays two more years he has a shot at being #6 all time in passing yards...if he catches Eli and can also fend of Rivers and Palmer.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...yds_career.htm

1 Peyton Manning 71,940
    2 Brett Favre+ 71,838
    3 Drew Brees 66,111
    4 Tom Brady 61,582
    5 Dan Marino+ 61,361

6 John Elway+ 51,475
    7 Warren Moon+ 49,325
    8 Eli Manning 48,218
    9 Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003
    10 Ben Roethlisbger 46,814

11 Vinny Testaverde 46,233
    12 Philip Rivers 45,833
    13 Drew Bledsoe 44,611
    14 Carson Palmer 44,269
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I tell you what, people give him crap over his poor performance in the first super bowl, but Ben carried that team on his back for three playoff games to get them there, as a wildcard. And he deserved MVP on the second one.

I would put him somewhere between 14-18 all time.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I tell you what, people give him crap over his poor performance in the first super bowl, but Ben carried that team on his back for three playoff games to get them there, as a wildcard.
    I think Cowher scared BB into a bad performance.

If if it had only been a week in between (like in the years prior), I'd bet my mortgage that the Steelers would have put up at least 35 on the Seahawks (and, won by 25+). That team was rolling...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

If if it had only been a week in between (like in the years prior), I'd bet my mortgage that the Steelers would have put up at least 35 on the Seahawks (and, won by 25+). That team was rolling...

Cowher used to let his own anxiety bleed into the team. It's one of the reasons he didn't win more big games.

He let Ben loose in the playoffs, like they had nothing to lose. Then, the weight of the moment made Cowher get tight again, and all he talked about was taking care of the ball.

I loved the guy, but as he aged he became tighter than a bullfrog's ass.....and that's waterproof.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think you're on to something!

He was the master of the 10 point lead though.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    He was the master of the 10 point lead though.
    108-1-1

Pffft!!!... there's a loss and a tie in there. FIRE HIM!!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Yep. I also have no doubt that that's exactly what happened, especially after O'Donnell handed what would have been Cowher's first ring to the Cowboys on a silver platter.

108-1-1

The incredible part of that stat is that it's 10-point lead at ANY POINT in the game, not just the 4th quarter.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If Ben plays two more years he has a shot at being #6 all time in passing yards...if he catches Eli and can also fend of Rivers and Palmer.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...yds_career.htm

1 Peyton Manning 71,940
    2 Brett Favre+ 71,838
    3 Drew Brees 66,111
    4 Tom Brady 61,582
    5 Dan Marino+ 61,361

6 John Elway+ 51,475
    7 Warren Moon+ 49,325
    8 Eli Manning 48,218
    9 Fran Tarkenton+ 47,003
    10 Ben Roethlisbger 46,814

11 Vinny Testaverde 46,233
    12 Philip Rivers 45,833
    13 Drew Bledsoe 44,611
    14 Carson Palmer 44,269

Ben should move into 7th place all time this season. He's a sure fire hall of fame player already, and a 3rd ring would put him into the argument of top 8 QB's of all time.

- - - Updated - - -

108-1-1

What's amazing with Cowher is he went 10-6 t0 12-4 with Tomzack, Stewart and Graham starting. His players had little margin for error in many games, but he got they for the most part to play hard each season, with the exception of his last season.

Cowher is 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs. Retiring when he did cost him the hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Ben should move into 7th place all time this season. He's a sure fire hall of fame player already, and a 3rd ring would put him into the argument of top 8 QB's of all time.
    I'm not sure I'd call him a surefire, only because of the age in which he played the position. Had he come in the 90s, absolutely. Had he come into the league in say, 2015 and have the career he's having, from what I've seen of QBs now right now, sure. But in his generation of QBs vying for the HOF, he'll have to deal with both Mannings (the younger will be in consideration due to two SBs, name recognition, and yards), Brady (even with all the cheating), Brees, and Rodgers. And, except for the younger Manning, I'd argue every one of those I've mentioned is a better pure passer. Ben had made his name on the ability to extend plays. Lately (last 3-5 years), he's really polished his passing game, but not enough to outshine the others on this list for pure passing (as opposed to leadership, ability to get the first down when necessary, ability to will a team to victory, etc).

Do I think he should be in the HOF if he retired this offseason? Honestly, I do. But if he doesn't retire before Brady, Brees, and Rodgers, he'll have to wait quite a while to get in, because they're going to slobber all over those players based on, as I said, pure passing. Also, right, wrong, or indifferent, if there's a tie between Ben and one of the others in a voters mind, I'll almost guarantee it will go to one of the others based on the accusations against Ben (General comment—spare me the "Ben is innocent" posts. I'm not arguing whether he is or isn't. Only that it will be a tie breaker in the minds of the voters, as it should be if all else is equal. Because regardless of what he did or didn't do, he put himself in a position where he negatively affected his time on the field and also brought bad press on his team. And again, to reiterate, I would consider it nothing more than a tiebreaker, as I would consider ALL bans a tie breaker between two players equally matched otherwise. So, if anyone wants to argue this point, please argue it on the lines of whether a ban should or should not be a tie-breaker, not on the personality.)

- - - Updated - - -

Cowher is 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs. Retiring when he did cost him the hall of fame.
    That very well could be true. On the other hand, I don't think Cowher had it in him to coach anymore. So, who knows if that 2008 team would have been as good as it was. There were some wins in that season iirc that came from gambles Cowher refused to take. Also, Cowher's Marty-Ball in the fourth quarter wasn't going to work without Jerome Bettis.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call him a surefire, only because of the age in which he played the position. Had he come in the 90s, absolutely. Had he come into the league in say, 2015 and have the career he's having, from what I've seen of QBs now right now, sure. But in his generation of QBs vying for the HOF, he'll have to deal with both Mannings (the younger will be in consideration due to two SBs, name recognition, and yards), Brady (even with all the cheating), Brees, and Rodgers. And, except for the younger Manning, I'd argue every one of those I've mentioned is a better pure passer. Ben had made his name on the ability to extend plays. Lately (last 3-5 years), he's really polished his passing game, but not enough to outshine the others on this list for pure passing (as opposed to leadership, ability to get the first down when necessary, ability to will a team to victory, etc).

Do I think he should be in the HOF if he retired this offseason? Honestly, I do. But if he doesn't retire before Brady, Brees, and Rodgers, he'll have to wait quite a while to get in, because they're going to slobber all over those players based on, as I said, pure passing. Also, right, wrong, or indifferent, if there's a tie between Ben and one of the others in a voters mind, I'll almost guarantee it will go to one of the others based on the accusations against Ben (General comment—spare me the "Ben is innocent" posts. I'm not arguing whether he is or isn't. Only that it will be a tie breaker in the minds of the voters, as it should be if all else is equal. Because regardless of what he did or didn't do, he put himself in a position where he negatively affected his time on the field and also brought bad press on his team. And again, to reiterate, I would consider it nothing more than a tiebreaker, as I would consider ALL bans a tie breaker between two players equally matched otherwise. So, if anyone wants to argue this point, please argue it on the lines of whether a ban should or should not be a tie-breaker, not on the personality.)
    I still say surefire. There is only one QB with two super bowl rings that is not in the hall. His name is Jimmy Plunket. Ben will also be about 7th all time in passing yardage.

You just can't keep a player like that out of the hall of fame.

Roethlisberger is going to be a HOF without hesitation.

We don't know when, but at worst it will be in the 3rd ballot.

No doubt, Bill Cowher would have been an HOF if he'd still been a head coach for 10 more seasons

If he had the same record as Tomlin in his first 10 years, Cowher would now have 250 wins in his career and it would have been very possible if we look at his record with a healthy Roethlisberger in his first two years.27-4 including the playoffs with Roethlisberger for Cowher in 2004 and 2005.

And I can't understand why Tony Dungy is in the HOF and Cowher is not close to being.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

On the other hand, I don't think Cowher had it in him to coach anymore.
    Wrong.

According to that Crash guy, he is just waiting for his dream job with the Carolina Panthers to open up.

What's amazing with Cowher is he went 10-6 t0 12-4 with Tomzack, Stewart and Graham starting. His players had little margin for error in many games, but he got they for the most part to play hard each season, with the exception of his last season.

TOMCZAK/STEWART/MADDOX:
    True.

As I have averred, if you put that extra $15-$20 million of cap space from a QB into four or five defensive players, you could have an outstanding defense. But, once the playoffs start, you HAVE to have a QB. Cowher's "no QB" plan almost worked. Almost.

See: SuperBowl XXX
    See: 1997 AFCCG
    See: 2001 AFCCG

RETIREMENT:
    He was done mentally.
    Case in point (as you said): 2006.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Ben will be a Top-20 all time. He should make the HoF based on SB wins and appearances too. There were a few lost seasons with plenty of blame to go around from coaches to BB, but that happens with every team.
    All Defense!

I still say surefire. There is only one QB with two super bowl rings that is not in the hall. His name is Jimmy Plunket. Ben will also be about 7th all time in passing yardage.

You just can't keep a player like that out of the hall of fame.
    Let me ask it in a different way. If all the following were to retire today, in what order would you put them in the HOF, or would you put them in the HOF?

Ben R.
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Manning (Peyton)
    Manning (Eli)
    Brees
    Romo

While I think Brady shouldn't be in, period. Based on the taping and how it flattened his learning curve providing him a very unfair advantage to other NFL QBs, he'll be a first ballot HOFer. After that, Peyton, then Rodgers. I'd put Ben ahead of Rodgers, but I think Ben loses out based again on pure passing and also on his troubles early-mid career before he matured. Another wildcard here is Eli Manning. While they both won two SBs, Ben had pretty poor QB his first outing, and unfortunately, nobody is really going to care that he may have one it with his legs (first TD and also the late first down to seal it). Moreover, very few are going to concern themselves with his playoff run until that game. Manning, on the other hand, had two decent to good SBs. If Manning is in a third SB and plays very well, even if he loses, I think sports writers would edge him over Ben on a head-to-head vote. That is only QBs, and the question is then, what other candidates are also waiting to go in? It could be quite a while . . . long enough for Ben to start fading from memories (again, if he retired this offseason).

That's why I wouldn't say he's a surefire entry. At least, not yet. I think he is. I'm pretty sure he is, but I can see paths in voting where he doesn't get all the necessary votes because of other nominees.

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

Let me ask it in a different way. If all the following were to retire today, in what order would you put them in the HOF, or would you put them in the HOF?

Ben R.
    Brady
    Rodgers
    Manning (Peyton)
    Manning (Eli)
    Brees
    Romo

While I think Brady shouldn't be in, period. Based on the taping and how it flattened his learning curve providing him a very unfair advantage to other NFL QBs, he'll be a first ballot HOFer. After that, Peyton, then Rodgers. I'd put Ben ahead of Rodgers, but I think Ben loses out based again on pure passing and also on his troubles early-mid career before he matured. Another wildcard here is Eli Manning. While they both won two SBs, Ben had pretty poor QB his first outing, and unfortunately, nobody is really going to care that he may have one it with his legs (first TD and also the late first down to seal it). Moreover, very few are going to concern themselves with his playoff run until that game. Manning, on the other hand, had two decent to good SBs. If Manning is in a third SB and plays very well, even if he loses, I think sports writers would edge him over Ben on a head-to-head vote. That is only QBs, and the question is then, what other candidates are also waiting to go in? It could be quite a while . . . long enough for Ben to start fading from memories (again, if he retired this offseason).

That's why I wouldn't say he's a surefire entry. At least, not yet. I think he is. I'm pretty sure he is, but I can see paths in voting where he doesn't get all the necessary votes because of other nominees.
    They're not going to keep Ben out because they put Manning in. Unlike other positions, they won't hesitate to put two deserving qbs in the same year. Ben is a lock for the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

In the media's eyes. Ben is lacking that signature victory over a tough opponent. He didn't get credit for Super Bowl XLIII (Santonio Holmes did). He'll get into the Hall of Fame, but it might be years before he gets in.

Ben, throughout his time here, was always considered good, but never among the best QB's. He was considered a good quarterback complimented by the Defense.

Pundits are going to point at the failures and blowouts against the Patriots. Wether our Steelers-tinted glasses like it or not, they are the model beacon of success in the modern era. They are the measuring stick, the wall and time and time again, we keep proving that we don't belong on the same field as them.

41-27 and 36-17 never goes away. Games that are totally uncompetitive and outclassed on one of the biggest stages.

No buts about it. Ben has to get past New England and win the Super Bowl. He'll punch his ticket to the HOF for sure.

The reason why Roethlisberger has never been considered the best QB is because he played at the same time than Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Also, Roethlisberger is not blamed for the failures against the pats.This is Tomlin / Lebeau or Butler that they are blaming and this is deserved.

The stats of Roethlisberger vs Pats are good.The stats of the steelers defense against Brady are a joke(22 TD,0 INT in 7 games vs Tomlin for Brady)

Eli Manning has won 2 super bowl against the pats by scoring 21 and 17 points ....

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    In the media's eyes. Ben is lacking that signature victory over a tough opponent. He didn't get credit for Super Bowl XLIII (Santonio Holmes did). He'll get into the Hall of Fame, but it might be years before he gets in.

Ben, throughout his time here, was always considered good, but never among the best QB's. He was considered a good quarterback complimented by the Defense.

Pundits are going to point at the failures and blowouts against the Patriots. Wether our Steelers-tinted glasses like it or not, they are the model beacon of success in the modern era. They are the measuring stick, the wall and time and time again, we keep proving that we don't belong on the same field as them.

41-27 and 36-17 never goes away. Games that are totally uncompetitive and outclassed on one of the biggest stages.

No buts about it. Ben has to get past New England and win the Super Bowl. He'll punch his ticket to the HOF for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The reason why Roethlisberger has never been considered the best QB is because he played at the same time than Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Also, Roethlisberger is not blamed for the failures against the pats.This is Tomlin / Lebeau or Butler that they are blaming and this is deserved.

The stats of Roethlisberger vs Pats are good.The stats of the steelers defense against Brady are a joke(22 TD,0 INT in 7 games vs Tomlin for Brady)

Eli Manning has won 2 super bowl against the pats by scoring 21 and 17 points ....
    I sit right in the middle of these two posts. I don't think the games against the Pats* will be held against him per se. But, I do think the game play of the QBs mentioned in Edman's post will be held against him. He has always been, IMO, considered just under the absolute top-teir QBs. Probably 4-5th best in the league throughout his career. Maybe even third best at times. If he wants to be a "surefire" selection, he needs a couple of seasons where he absolutely shines and doesn't make any game-breaking mistakes. Or, he needs a SB where he puts the team on his back and wills them to victory.

Again, I still think he makes it, but the "surefire" stage has yet to be reached.

Several media consider Roethlisberger as a sure fire HOF.

He has always been, IMO, considered just under the absolute top-teir QBs. Probably 4-5th best in the league throughout his career. Maybe even third best at times

We can't penalize Roethlisberger because he played in the same era as Rodgers, Brady and Peyton.Brady and Manning are easily in the top 5 of all-time, and Rodgers is not too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Several media consider Roethlisberger as a sure fire HOF.

We can't penalize Roethlisberger because he played in the same era as Rodgers, Brady and Peyton.Brady and Manning are easily in the top 5 of all-time, and Rodgers is not too far away.
    The problem, however, is not that he's being penalized, but that Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton are going to be the competition for getting in, and they're going to set the bar for QBs from this era.