Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mean Joe - Showboating Held Steelers Back

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Mean Joe - Showboating Held Steelers Back

It appears Joe Greene is not a fan of postgame Facebook streaming or end zone celebration penalties

“We got guys who like to showboat. It’s definitely the one [Brown], but it’s more than one. And they owe themselves better than that. You only have so long to play this game, it’s not always going to be there, you know. You have to max out.

This year was a year lost. I can only imagine what would have happened to this team had our receiver who was suspended for a year [Martavis Bryant] been playing on the field. I can only imagine what would have happened had all of our weapons been there.”

He blamed some of it on selfishness, of “building your brand” rather than putting the team first. He said the Steelers need more Rocky Bleier-types....

He believes a different kind of frustration drove Roethlisberger to suggest he might retire two days after the Steelers lost the AFC championship game to the Patriots. It came one week after Brown’s infamous Facebook Live video from the locker room, an act Greene detested, and it came after receivers dropped a handful of passes in the AFC title game loss in New England.

Roethlisberger’s reaction “had to be something with his disappointment with those activities,’’ Greene said. “Those actions were not conducive to the winning framework, the winning attitude.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...ersion=pgevoke

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Mean Joe - Showboating Held Steelers Back

Can you all hear me roll my eyes over the internet?

This is another in an annual cycle of respected old guy complains about how the new dudes do football things.

Bryant getting suspended was a fully blameable move. The rest is young guys doing stupid things. Like no one in the '70s did stupid stuff when they were 20-something?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The gameplan on defense in New England was one of the big reason of our blowout loss.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is another in an annual cycle of respected old guy complains about how the new dudes do football things.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Can you all hear me roll my eyes over the internet?

Bryant getting suspended was a fully blameable move. The rest is young guys doing stupid things. Like no one in the '70s did stupid stuff when they were 20-something?
    I do not recall Chuck Noll having to address some brain dead conduct by a Steeler in the week before one of the six AFC championship game appearances by the 70s Steelers while observing that it would be too bad if that individual became one of those players who bounced from team to team because of his attitude

Brown took it to the next level this past season with Tomlin having to tell him to lose the special shoes when a ref told Brown it would bar him from playing, the repeated celebration penalties, and the Facebook streaming

Since another "respected old guy" who told Brown to cut the crap was Heath Miller while he was still playing in 2015, Mean Joe's comments about Brown are more than another grumpy old man who remembers the days when he had to walk 20 miles through the snow and uphill both ways to get to and from the game.

Since he now has the big contract I look for AB to tone it down this coming season

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

we where always taught to act like you been there before not like its your first time ... call me old school but I got to agree with Mean Joe , Heath and anyone else that conducts or has conducted themselves more like Barry Sanders and less like Terrell Owens

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

In his rookie season of 1969, when the Steelers joined the Bears in sinking to 1-13, Greene was ejected from two games.
    And that was long before the current "pussyball" era, so you know what he did was over the top.

And later on:

In a 1977 AFC playoff, he (Greene) dropped Denver guard Paul Howard with a vicious uppercut to the stomach. The foul wasn't called, but 50 million television viewers saw it.
    I can only imagine what the outcry would be like if something like that went down now in the "Twitter Age" with the 24x7 sports/news cycle being what it is and it most assuredly WOULD get called...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-08-05/sports/8702270158_1_joe-greene-all-time-stars-defensive

Sometimes Mean Joe can be downright brusque. Like the time he punched out Denver Bronco guard Paul Howard in a National Football League playoff game two years ago. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 for that minor gaucherie, presumably because the commissioner was still a little touchy over Joe’s threat, made earlier in the season, to knock down some officials and “cleat ’em in the spine.”
    http://people.com/archive/super-bowl...e-vol-13-no-3/

I'm sure Goodell would have a field day with someone like Harrison issuing a threat to "cleat 'em in the spine" toward any ref that "gets in his way" on the field...

Although he's my all-time favorite player personally, if Greene played today, I think it's safe to say he'd be ranked with Suh as one of the dirtiest players in the league.

And I'm sorry, but I can only muster up so much outrage over Brown's end zone antics when I repeatedly see footage of other WRs around the league doing the EXACT SAME THINGS without any penalty whatsoever (OBJ, stand up and take a bow). What does piss me off are Goodell's obvious double standards because he's still butthurt over the Steelers' players voting against his little CBA back in 2011.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Hey!

Look at me.

I am going to shame someone in an attempt to control their behavior into one I feel is more acceptable.

Yay me!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Get off my lawn!!! *shakes fist*
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Like it or not, Millenials are simply different (than Baby Boomers and/or than Gen X). Worse?... maybe, maybe not. Different?... absolutely.

As I said in January:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...antonio-brown/

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Get off my lawn!!! *shakes fist*

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Good post because it is true.

The younger generation is different. I think when Ochocinco and TO were doing their celebrations, the older crowd wasn't interested in it and felt it took away from the spirit of the game (game being the most important word). So, excessive celebrations were thereafter penalized.

Now they are seeing a good majority of people did enjoy them and are thinking about removing/reducing the penalty. I loved them. To me, it brought a human side to the sport. Individuals were being individuals, not robots. This isn't the military that strips away your identity, and it should not treat its players as such and that should NOT be the expectation of FANS.

I want to see a players joy, a players frustration. Their creativity and how they express it.

This is a game. To have fun.

FUN.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not trying to start a debate or to be disrespectful, but why? Why is it important to act like you've been there before? One hears that all the time and no one ever explains why. I can see at early levels of youth sports in order to ensure that kids learn sportsmanship and respect for one another - but after that gets all sorted out -- why?

I figure someone is going to say something about role models and that. But if your kids biggest role models are people they only know from TV - then you have much bigger problems than the conduct of NFL players.

Again, I may be way off.

As to the whole, Chuck Noll never had to address dumbassery prior to an AFCCG. Well, I don't know about Noll and the '70's roster - but I have heard other things. My favorite is that Mickey Mantle routinely got hammered on the road with anyone who would drink with him - including reporters. He also is reputed to have quite a like for the occasional professional lady. Max McGee was still drunk when he won a SB off the bench. I suspect that Namath was super well behaved at all times. This same stuff went on, we - the fans - just never heard about it because teams, players, and the beat reporters kept it "in the family". Now all this stuff just comes out because of technology. Lawrence Taylor was on all of the cocaine and routinely sent hookers to the opposing teams hotel. Read up about the antics of the '80s Mets and Royals (I think it was KC) but apparently enough liquor and drugs were involved to make Keith Richards weak in the knees.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Not trying to start a debate or to be disrespectful, but why? Why is it important to act like you've been there before? One hears that all the time and no one ever explains why. I can see at early levels of youth sports in order to ensure that kids learn sportsmanship and respect for one another - but after that gets all sorted out -- why?

I figure someone is going to say something about role models and that. But if your kids biggest role models are people they only know from TV - then you have much bigger problems than the conduct of NFL players.

Again, I may be way off.

As to the whole, Chuck Noll never had to address dumbassery prior to an AFCCG. Well, I don't know about Noll and the '70's roster - but I have heard other things. My favorite is that Mickey Mantle routinely got hammered on the road with anyone who would drink with him - including reporters. He also is reputed to have quite a like for the occasional professional lady. Max McGee was still drunk when he won a SB off the bench. I suspect that Namath was super well behaved at all times. This same stuff went on, we - the fans - just never heard about it because teams, players, and the beat reporters kept it "in the family". Now all this stuff just comes out because of technology. Lawrence Taylor was on all of the cocaine and routinely sent hookers to the opposing teams hotel. Read up about the antics of the '80s Mets and Royals (I think it was KC) but apparently enough liquor and drugs were involved to make Keith Richards weak in the knees.
    what changes ? should you still not have respect for one another ... ( not picking at you but I must wonder )

no role model excuse here , if a parent is relying on an athlete the child will likely never meet to be a role model then they suck at parenting ...

besides its the NFL No Fun League its now a Business not a game

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    what changes ? should you still not have respect for one another ... ( not picking at you but I must wonder )

no role model excuse here , if a parent is relying on an athlete the child will likely never meet to be a role model then they suck at parenting ...

besides its the NFL No Fun League its now a Business not a game
    I can see all that. I get the respect thing - it is a fine line to walk for all involved. I just think that you can kinda have both - or at least some guys can.

AB does all his celebrating and what not, but he is the first in the handshake line after games, trades jerseys and works with other guys in the off-season. In general around the league, you can see these guys celebrate (often excessively) and then when something bad happens there is a joint prayer or what not.

But you're right it is a business and sells better if the players act a certain way that is modulated to offend absolutely no one.

Because that is what Barry Sanders did and he is the closest thing the NFL has had to having Jesus himself on the field.

Just my guess. I don't get it either.

How can someone hate this? This is genius right here. Nobody was hurt (except for maybe some old dudes feelings, but that isn't CJ's fault).

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Because that is what Barry Sanders did and he is the closest thing the NFL has had to having Jesus himself on the field.

Just my guess. I don't get it either.

How can someone hate this? This is genius right here. Nobody was hurt (except for maybe some old dudes feelings, but that isn't CJ's fault).

I love it. Billy White Shoes Johnson did a dance and no one died. Ickey Shuffled. The fun bunch high fived.

But I guess it might tick off like one person somewhere who might tell someone else and the NFL might make 85 less cents.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Ever wonder why he was called "Mean Joe"? Stuff he did ON THE FIELD. Off the field he traded his jersey for Cokes, to kids.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

More offseason yawn articles.

Love Mean Joe but he's just grumbling about stuff. He is Mr. Steeler so it's no surprise he's going to feel that way about AB's goofy shenanigans.

Not everybody can be Rocky Bleier (except maybe AV).

The draft needs to get here soon...

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Wonder if this is the Rooneys calling in a favor from Mean Joe? Try to get AB reigned in a bit. Unfortunately, he is not afforded the same blind eye from the officials as Mr Sherman is when he mugs a receiver. If you are the "poster child" for the refs, you have to reign it in or you start costing your team.

If there is a speed trap down the road and I know it, and I speed up, well, I'm dumber than a bag of rocks or I have money to burn. If you know the officials have you on their hit list, and you still behave in a manner that will cost your team, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Wonder if this is the Rooneys calling in a favor from Mean Joe? Try to get AB reigned in a bit. Unfortunately, he is not afforded the same blind eye from the officials as Mr Sherman is when he mugs a receiver. If you are the "poster child" for the refs, you have to reign it in or you start costing your team.

If there is a speed trap down the road and I know it, and I speed up, well, I'm dumber than a bag of rocks or I have money to burn. If you know the officials have you on their hit list, and you still behave in a manner that will cost your team, well...
    it is then " money to burn " but others will say and are not wrong " selfish me attitude" ...

its hard to argue with ...

it does cost his wallet but it also cost field position and in todays pass happy league 15 yards is a lot of ground to concede time and time again ...

but most will not agree with me and I am fine with that but when it bites us in the ass and costs us a game ( not if but when ) and the opposition needs a FG to win and with 5 seconds left in the game they are booting a 49 yarder for the win instead of being 4th and 7 from nearly midfield and forced to hit the hail mary to win ..... I bet folks bitch and complain then but I digress )

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Football is a team sport. You should always conduct yourself in a manner to enhance the success of the team.

Do I agree with the NFL and it's current state of affairs? Doesn't matter. The time for change is in 2021.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Greene did have his erratic moments of throwing helmets and hurting players on the field and such in his early years. What most of you don't get here is that it was by design by Noll. The Steelers were a doormat. Noll wanted to change the culture of the organization and what better way to do it by using his first ever pick on a mean nasty guy who hates losing.

Greene set the standard that they will no longer be a pushover. He set a standard that 1-15 seasons are no longer Ok. Noll let his actions go for several years before he felt it was the right time to temper him down some. Before doing so though, Noll wanted the foundation set by Greene first that the attitude of this organization has changed.

He then later let Greene know that he wanted him to be the standard and example for the team and he would have to temper down and Greene abliged. What I feel Greene is saying here is that the over the top celebrations by AB that have drawn fines have hurt the team in field position. Has AB shown remorse in this by telling the media it's nothing to a boss?

Greene said you're a Steeler first. AB paying no attention to what Tomlin was saying postgame while livestreaming in the locker room said AB first. How do you think Noll would have handled that fiasco. Joe has a point here. We have players that celebrate on almost every play. When that is the case it is no longer celebrating but showboating as Joe says.

I don't feel that he is saying for them not to celebrate. I feel that he is saying to focus on playng and winning the game and do away with the every play showboating. If they were more focused on the task at hand as opposed to individual standout antics, maybe they wouldn't lose to bottom feeder teams as they have which Joe's teams didn't do.

This isn't an old guy that doesn't know what he is talking about. He is Mr. Steeler for a reason. He is the one that comes to mind when you think of this franchise. Noll's first draft pick who just so happened to change the culture of the franchise.

Greene is the only man that was part of this organization that has had a hand in ALL 6 LOMBARDI TROPHIES! No one else that has been part of this organization past or present can say that. So when Joe wants to talk about what a Pittsburgh Steeler is, I think he knows more than anyone past or present.

Joe Greene Lombardi contributions: 6
    All other Steeler Lombardi contributions: Lower than 6
    Case closed.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Ah, the millennials...the future lazy-asses and pussies of America.

In 20 years tackling could be against the rules in football.

- - - Updated - - -

I love it. Billy White Shoes Johnson did a dance and no one died. Ickey Shuffled. The fun bunch high fived.

But I guess it might tick off like one person somewhere who might tell someone else and the NFL might make 85 less cents.
    The point is where do these celebrations stop. If they don't hinder it now it will snowball later.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    Greene did have his erratic moments of throwing helmets and hurting players on the field and such in his early years. What most of you don't get here is that it was by design by Noll. The Steelers were a doormat. Noll wanted to change the culture of the organization and what better way to do it by using his first ever pick on a mean nasty guy who hates losing.

Greene set the standard that they will no longer be a pushover. He set a standard that 1-15 seasons are no longer Ok. Noll let his actions go for several years before he felt it was the right time to temper him down some. Before doing so though, Noll wanted the foundation set by Greene first that the attitude of this organization has changed.
    Still doesn't change the fact that nowadays many people would go absolutely apeshit over some of the stuff Greene (and Lambert and a number of others) pulled back in the day that nobody at the time really even raised an eyebrow at.

He then later let Greene know that he wanted him to be the standard and example for the team and he would have to temper down and Greene abliged. What I feel Greene is saying here is that the over the top celebrations by AB that have drawn fines have hurt the team in field position. Has AB shown remorse in this by telling the media it's nothing to a boss?
    Once again...

In a 1977 AFC playoff, he (Greene) dropped Denver guard Paul Howard with a vicious uppercut to the stomach. The foul wasn't called, but 50 million television viewers saw it.
    Sometimes Mean Joe can be downright brusque. Like the time he punched out Denver Bronco guard Paul Howard in a National Football League playoff game two years ago. NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 for that minor gaucherie, presumably because the commissioner was still a little touchy over Joe’s threat, made earlier in the season, to knock down some officials and “cleat ’em in the spine.”
    That was in his NINTH year, so you can't really chalk it up to Noll egging the behavior on to "create an identity" for the team at that point. Not only that, but the talking heads would be squawking about it endlessly for WEEKS afterward if that happened in a PLAYOFF GAME now. That sort of thing simply did not get the exposure then that it would now because there was no Internet or Twitter nor was there a 24x7 news/sports cycle, or 300+ cable TV channels.

We have players that celebrate on almost every play. When that is the case it is no longer celebrating but showboating as Joe says.
    Uh, that's the case with pretty much the WHOLE LEAGUE now. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a non-Steelers player making an ass of himself by excessively celebrating after a routine play, I'd be retired by now.

Bottom line, it ain't the 1970s anymore. Do I like the celebrations? Absolutely not. But publicly pining for how things used to be done in the old days won't change it, nor does it help anything.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I read Jack Lambert's autobiography a few years back... he & Andy Russell used to sneak out of the hotel after curfew to go drinking. Sometimes they'd be hung over during games.

But, pffftt... it isn't like they were dancing in the end-zone or something.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Jack Lambert makes a TOL and starts twerking and finishes with a dab.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I read Jack Lambert's autobiography a few years back... he & Andy Russell used to sneak out of the hotel after curfew to go drinking. Sometimes they'd be hung over during games.

But, pffftt... it isn't like they were dancing in the end-zone or something.
    I wonder how this t-shirt would play in Goodell's NFL of 2017? Think it would result in a big fine and/or stir up a hornets' nest in the sports media? I do...

I wonder how this t-shirt would play in Goodell's NFL of 2017? Think it would result in a big fine and/or stir up a hornets' nest in the sports media? I do...

If a Steeler was wearing it: suspension!!!

If Gronk is wearing it: "Hey, that guy is fun!!!"

If ODB is wearing it: "Hey, that guy is annoying... but... I'm not going to be the one to tell him to take it off!!!"

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Still doesn't change the fact that nowadays many people would go absolutely apeshit over some of the stuff Greene (and Lambert and a number of others) pulled back in the day that nobody at the time really even raised an eyebrow about.

Once again...

That was in his NINTH year, so you can't really chalk it up to Noll egging the behavior on to "create an identity" for the team at that point. Not only that, but the talking heads would be squawking about it endlessly for WEEKS afterward if that happened in a PLAYOFF GAME now. That sort of thing simply did not get the exposure then that it would now because there was no Internet or Twitter nor was there a 24x7 news/sports cycle, or 300+ cable TV channels.

Uh, that's the case with pretty much the WHOLE LEAGUE now. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a non-Steelers player making an ass of himself by excessively celebrating after a routine play, I'd be retired by now.

Bottom line, it ain't the 1970s anymore.
    So are we saying that what he says about being a Steeler holds no merit?
    As I said.. He is the main guy that would know as the only man to contribute to all 6 Titles.
    So are we going to knock the only guy to help us get all 6 and say he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Last I checked none of us have any of those contributions except cheering.
    I'm confident Joe knows alot more than us!

Want to know what a Steeler is? Ask Joe!
    Pittsburgh Steelers: 6 Lombardies
    Mean Joe Greene: 6 Lombardies

In other words...The Steelers never have done anything without Joe!
    Don't bite the hand that feeds you!