View Poll Results: Which QB too good to pass on?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kizer

1 5.00%
  • Watson

1 5.00%
  • Trubisky

5 25.00%
  • None

13 65.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which QB Would You Take?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Which QB Would You Take?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I honestly think that "circus offense" argument has lost much of its credence. It's based on the "spread offense" not preparing QBs for the pros. Sure, that may have been true five or ten years ago. But in 2014, 75% of all NFL dropbacks came out of the shotgun. As for the Steelers, Ben dropped back 75% of the time in 2014. Last season, NFL drop backs beginning in the shotgun wen tup to 78.9 percent.

Moreover, how often do you only see the Steelers passing out of a two WR formation? Normally, it's a three, and with the TE and RB, a four or five route play. Pretty much the same circus offense you see in college. The only difference, however, is that you're playing against a much better defense. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, Mahomes's passes were not passes that could have been easily picked off by a better DB. He was hitting back-shoulder throws, basket catches, and players in stride.

Personally, I think QBs should be judged individually, rather than by what conference they play in.
    I can guarantee you that the talent evaluators whose paychecks are on the line are concerned about the type of offense he is coming out of. I don't think it's just the shotgun scenario. There's not much post snap reads in that offense and there are tons of post snap reads for an NFL QB. I think that is the biggest concern.

That said, my choice would be TJ Watt and if he's gone, Mahomes.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Fair enough.

Of course, if what we're hearing is correct, Mahome is changing calls on the line already, which shows a mental acuity already (again, if what we're hearing is correct). My one big concern for him isn't that, however. As I said before, there's times where I feel he just locks onto a receiver. Of course, if the guy is covered, he goes through progressions, and looks to do it well.

Yes. If the information we're hearing about him calling audibles, protections, and signaling all plays and assignments without the help of the sideline, it shows that he has another dimension of understanding that we didn't know about originally. It's not a complete game changer, but it is a very good sign about his ability to learn and implement information, while also having the understanding of reading defenses and pre-snap reads to give the offense the best chance to succeed.

It's definitely not a bad thing.

He will lock onto receivers. Most quarterbacks in those systems are able to know very quickly because of the simple reads and the defensive looks they force by formation. This is something he is going to have to learn once he gets to the NFL. He should already be working with a quarterback guru to give him a good explanation of what he will need to be able to do at the next level and be running him through drills trying to start the process of training his eyes.

Remember, there are guys that play under center in pro-style offenses that still struggle with this in the NFL. It's part of the reason why great NFL quarterbacks are so hard to find. It is a very unique skillset, and you really don't know what they're capable of until the speed of the game and the competition level changes.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Remember, there are guys that play under center in pro-style offenses that still struggle with this in the NFL. It's part of the reason why great NFL quarterbacks are so hard to find. It is a very unique skillset, and you really don't know what they're capable of until the speed of the game and the competition level changes.
    And in all honesty, that is my complete point in this discussion. :

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

* With Ben Roethlisberger having cast some doubt in the immediate aftermath of last January’s AFC Championship Game loss with regard to how long he is interested in continuing to be the team’s franchise quarterback, Steelers fans have started guzzling this Kool-Aid by the gallon.

* As they drink it, they have visions of Tom Brady and Marc Bulger and Dak Prescott dancing in their heads, but history shows what their favorite football team is more likely to end up with, should it pursue a quarterback at any point during the third day of an NFL Draft, is Spergon Wynn or Ingle Martin or Kliff Kingsberry. Or Tee Martin.

* Starting with the 1998 NFL Draft that offered up Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf as the first two picks – to Indianapolis and San Diego, respectively – there have been 128 quarterbacks picked in Rounds 4-7 in the 19 NFL Drafts leading up to the 2017 version of what officially is known at NFL headquarters as the Annual Selection Meeting.

* Of those 128, only five deserve to be recognized as legitimate NFL starting quarterbacks: Matt Hasselbeck, a fifth-round pick in 1998; Bulger and Brady, both sixth-round picks in 2000; Kirk Cousins, a fourth-round pick in 2012; and Prescott, a fourth-round pick in 2016. Of those five, only two – Bulger and Brady – deserve to be recognized as franchise quarterbacks.

full article here http://www.steelers.com/news/labriol...c-41dc8e1426c7

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Bulger a franchise QB? I'd put Hasslebeck above him. He threw almost twice as many TDs.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Bulger a franchise QB? I'd put Hasslebeck above him. He threw almost twice as many TDs.
    Bulger was a highly thought of player , would have probably had better stats than Hasselbeck but was stuck behind Warner for a few to many years and injuries killed his career much like Trent Green

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Bulger was a highly thought of player , would have probably had better stats than Hasselbeck but was stuck behind Warner for a few to many years and injuries killed his career much like Trent Green
    Yeah. I would do cartwheels if some guy drafted in the 5th round turned out to be Bulger good!

Steeler Nation Rocks !!! Array title="Steelersfan is on a distinguished road"> Steelersfan's Avatar

RD #1 - If he is there at #30 = Mahomes nobody else I'd want there even if no other QB are of the board.
    RD #2 - 4ish - Kaaya I think is the best middle rounder out there.
    RD #5ish - our last pick - The Baylor QB Russell - If your wanting to take chances on a QB this year, why not add to your team early rounds and use one of your last picks trying to hit it big on a late round "dark horse" QB.
    Here We Go Pittsburgh
Here We Go

If we go late I'd rather them take a flyer on Kelly. Most 6-7th rounders get cut anyway.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If, a big if, any of the three QBs were available at #30, which one do you think the Steelers should not pass on?

1. DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame
    2. Deshaun Watson, Clemson
    3. Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina
    4. None
    That would take inside knowdgle if Ben wants to come back for 2018.

My short answer is none of them. Trubisky has the best upside, but he need at least a year to develop. Watson to me is more of a grade two type of talent. Kizer will bust.

One guy I like for round two or three is Davis Webb.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    That would take inside knowdgle if Ben wants to come back for 2018.

My short answer is none of them. Trubisky has the best upside, but he need at least a year to develop. Watson to me is more of a grade two type of talent. Kizer will bust.

One guy I like for round two or three is Davis Webb
    Remember Webb is the guy that Mahomes beat out and took the job from at Texas Tech ( so he transferred to get on the field )

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Remember Webb is the guy that Mahomes beat out and took the job from at Texas Tech ( so he transferred to get on the field )

Correct! Webb look good at the senior bowl week. He's got a good arm, some escape ability, and upside left to fill. He's better than Landy Jones, and would give the Steelers a prospect to explore until Ben retires.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Not gonna lie, all the rigorous explanation and film around this board had me warmed up to the idea of picking Mahomes in the 1st round. But then I saw this article: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...d-quarterbacks

Look at this list of QB's of significance. Out of the 20 listed, literally only 1 of them made it through more than 2 seasons worth of starts. That QB was (drumroll please) Tim Couch. Thats not the kind of good fortune I want to hear. The 2nd most starts by a air raid QB on the list is Geno Smith. According to the article, the average career passer rating for active QB's with 500+ attempts is also 83.3. The only QB on the entire list thats above that mark is Nick Foles. Theres many more nuggets of information similiar to along those lines. Obviously the logistics and specifics of Patrick's film, not those of his predecessors is the most important thing at the end of the day, but just playing the number game, this article really scares me away
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Not gonna lie, all the rigorous explanation and film around this board had me warmed up to the idea of picking Mahomes in the 1st round. But then I saw this article: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...d-quarterbacks

Look at this list of QB's of significance. Out of the 20 listed, literally only 1 of them made it through more than 2 seasons worth of starts. That QB was (drumroll please) Tim Couch. Thats not the kind of good fortune I want to hear. The 2nd most starts by a air raid QB on the list is Geno Smith. According to the article, the average career passer rating for active QB's with 500+ attempts is also 83.3. The only QB on the entire list thats above that mark is Nick Foles. Theres many more nuggets of information similiar to along those lines. Obviously the logistics and specifics of Patrick's film, not those of his predecessors is the most important thing at the end of the day, but just playing the number game, this article really scares me away
    I'm quite sure that this is going to give GMs cold feet in the first round.

A nice breakdown by sports science.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19209620

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think the Steelers would be wise to pass on a QB in favor of best available edge rusher/defensive back. There will be more value at those positions at 30 and better players than at QB

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

That's awesome. Like they say in the video.....After watching his highlights and seeing what a great athlete he is in many sports, how does he end up and Miami OH???????

Man, talent evaluation can be tough! I can hear it now....Only one year starter.....too skinny......likes to move rather than staying in the pocket......talent level he played against wasn't good enough.....

Sounds like us talking about this years quarterback class!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Did he ever have an Oline?