View Poll Results: Which QB too good to pass on?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kizer

1 5.00%
  • Watson

1 5.00%
  • Trubisky

5 25.00%
  • None

13 65.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which QB Would You Take?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Which QB Would You Take?

If, a big if, any of the three QBs were available at #30, which one do you think the Steelers should not pass on?

1. DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame
    2. Deshaun Watson, Clemson
    3. Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina
    4. None

BurghBoy412

Re: Which QB Would You Take?

Watson

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

webb

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I voted none, the Steeler should not take a QB in this draft.
    Last edited by Shoes; 03-24-2017 at 04:39 PM.

BurghBoy412

No love for Mahomes?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckinnuts View Post
    webb
    I'm pretty sure that Webb can be had in the 2nd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    No love for Mahomes?
    I didn't add him because he will probably already be there at 30.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

None, this is shitty year for quarterbacks. And the desperation over elite passers has gotten so hyped up that someone is going to try to force it, so all three of those guys will be gone.

This is a prime example of a year where if you have a top-5 pick, you are better off trading it or using it for another building block, and trying to get a QB some other way. Or just accepting the fact that there are no good QBs and suffering it through it for a year while you try to improve with your own second-tier guy and test out whatever random 4th-rounder you want to take a flyer on.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    None, this is shitty year for quarterbacks. And the desperation over elite passers has gotten so hyped up that someone is going to try to force it, so all three of those guys will be gone.

This is a prime example of a year where if you have a top-5 pick, you are better off trading it or using it for another building block, and trying to get a QB some other way. Or just accepting the fact that there are no good QBs and suffering it through it for a year while you try to improve with your own second-tier guy and test out whatever random 4th-rounder you want to take a flyer on.
    I agree that none of the top 3 are worthy of a top 10 pick. Pick 30 may be a different story. I like Watson of the three, as long as he has a couple years to adjust and learn.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Other ... Mahomes and to be honest for me its not really all that close ..

strongest arm in draft , can make all the throws , doesn't panic when things go south , can run a bit to make a few yards if things break down , has the " IT " factor ....

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Mahomes

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

None, I'd say there would be better value in drafting defense in round 1 and waiting to draft someone like Webb, Peterman, or Kaaya later

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I agree that none of the top 3 are worthy of a top 10 pick. Pick 30 may be a different story. I like Watson of the three, as long as he has a couple years to adjust and learn.
    I concur

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    None, I'd say there would be better value in drafting defense in round 1 and waiting to draft someone like Webb, Peterman, or Kaaya later

honestly I do not see any of those guys as the answer in a scenario where Ben hangs them up say next season ( playing devils advocate here ) and if that is in fact the case next year you find yourself spending another pick to address the same situation so why spend one at all now if not going after one early ..

looking at it as if Ben is retiring because of two factors .

A) his words on evaluating his future and if he will play in 2017 or beyond
    B) the team seemingly going to every work out the main QBs in this draft are having and assuming it means they know more than is being reported on Bens state of mind in terms to his future beyond this season

one could argue we could wait till next year with a presumably better QB class ( but that is debatable as you never know what you are getting till you get him )
    but bear in mind getting a guy next year and if ben is done your forcing him into a role he may not be ready for where as my mindset has always been get the guy before you need him and teach him your way of doing things and let him learn if at all possible prior to trial by fire ..

sure Trial by fire worked out ok for Ben but that is usually not the case as there is just so much to learn about the pro game and the speed itself is a steep learning curve without the complexities of the playbook and new system and don't get me started about proset because the fact of the matter is you just do not find that many QBs in college working in a prostyle offense so yet another learning curve in the most basic of concepts

BurghBoy412

I'm predicting Watson has a fantastic NFL carrer.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    honestly I do not see any of those guys as the answer in a scenario where Ben hangs them up say next season

because the fact of the matter is you just do not find that many QBs in college working in a prostyle offense so yet another learning curve in the most basic of concepts
    You make some valid points.

On the flip side, I experienced this same debate in 2003... when Steelers fans felt that we "had" to take Kyle Boller. I was of the opinion that we should wait until the 2004 draft, which had a far better crop of QBs.

Fast-forward to this discussion...
    I agree with Shoes and st33lerguy: I would rather wait and draft one of the QBs from next year's crop.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    On the flip side, I experienced this same debate in 2003... when Steelers fans felt that we "had" to take Kyle Boller. I was of the opinion that we should wait until the 2004 draft, which had a far better crop of QBs.
    When are you going to admit that you were wrong on that one?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If the team does take a quarterback this year, I am hoping it is later in the draft.

A guy that I can understand them taking a look at if he drops far enough is Brad Kaaya from Miami. By all accounts, he is a talented young quarterback that should have gone back to school for another year to develop. He is inconsistent, he makes mistakes, and he makes incredible throws.

He has the look of a guy that hasn't truly maxed out on his talent and he needs to work on several aspects of his game. He does show flashes of brilliance and arm talent that needs to be developed. The perfect place may be spending two or three years in an apprenticeship behind Ben Roethlisberger. There would be no rush to push him to the field, and he would be able to work on his craft without the pressures that destroy so many young quarterbacks.

Kaaya or Chad Kelly would make the most sense to me in this draft based on the possible ceiling of both players and the round you may be able to get them in.

Most of the stuff I'm hearing has Kaaya going from rounds 3-4. If he fell to the fourth round, I think he's a guy the Steelers would have to consider if they are thinking about drafting a quarterback and he falls far enough to make it worthwhile.

Kelly is another guy that has physical talent but has been a bonehead off the field. If they believe that his immaturity can be overcome and his talent is great enough, he could be a late round pickup.

With how close this team is to winning a championship and the needs they still have, only a late round quarterback would make sense to me. These two seem to make the most sense from a talent and risk/reward standpoint.

You make some valid points.

Fast-forward to this discussion...
    I agree with Shoes and st33lerguy: I would rather wait and draft one of the QBs from next year's crop.
    to many people bought into Bollers throwing off one knee stunt to realize he lacked the necessary tools when on 2 feet , that being said I would have zero issue taking Mahomes if I knew Bens intent was this year or bust for SB and I have a sneaking suspicion that is what we are going to get ( at least some signs point towards that ) but respect both lines of logic albeit prefer having as said above a guy in place rather than a guy forced into a role he is not ready for

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If I had to draft a QB this year, it'd be Watson - but a lot of other teams have probably come to the same conclusion and some of them DO need a quarterback. So out of the three, he's probably the one most likely to be gone.

I don't think that, when you're a couple pieces away from competing for a championship, pick #30 is where you ought to be looking for someone who might eventually take over at QB in the future. We have a QB for at least another season or two, but not much longer. That pick should be used on another impact player, probably a defender, that might contribute to getting us over that hump while we still have the chance. After Ben retires, all bets are off, whether we drafted a "successor" or not. We want to look for one now, we should do it with a low round pick with the tempered expectation that it's maybe a 1-in-10 chance.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Is it more important to get a replacement for Ben or James in this draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    depends on if ben is going to be here next year or not and I do not feel like its an either or situation ....

if the best 3-4 pass rushers are gone and same with corners I would take a QB over a S I think

There probably is no replacement for Ben in this draft, so that takes that right out of the equation. If anything, we'd want a pass rusher, which I guess this class is OK at, but more likely the best players on the board will be DBs of various shapes and sizes.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I'll be happy with Chad Kelly in round 5. Potential wise, I'd put him up there with the top 3.

BurghBoy412

Hopefully they'll find the closest thing to a Kordell Stewart clone and take him. The higher the better IMO😁😁😁

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Hopefully they'll find the closest thing to a Kordell Stewart clone and take him. The higher the better IMO
    I think they're calling him Jabrill Peppers this year. Instead of 'Slash', he's the 'Swiss Army Knife'.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I think they're calling him Jabrill Peppers this year. Instead of 'Slash', he's the 'Swiss Army Knife'.
    ...and, he's probably just as accurate as Kordell.

BurghBoy412

...and, he's probably just as accurate as Kordell.
    Man we wasted some good teams with Kordell🤔

Man we wasted some good teams with Kordell樂
    we did indeed , but I still can not help but think had they not square hole round pegged the kid and tried to force him into being something he was not ( a pocket passer ) and let him play his style of game with roll outs / read option kind of stuff we may have a more favorable opinion of him ... but I digress because its an unprovable theory

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    to many people bought into Bollers throwing off one knee stunt to realize he lacked the necessary tools when on 2 feet , that being said I would have zero issue taking Mahomes if I knew Bens intent was this year or bust for SB and I have a sneaking suspicion that is what we are going to get ( at least some signs point towards that ) but respect both lines of logic albeit prefer having as said above a guy in place rather than a guy forced into a role he is not ready for
    Agreed. If one thinks that a QB in this draft is "the guy", then a year of tutorage would be better than starting a rookie.

IMO, in the 2018 draft, I think that Josh Rosen slides to 32 ( ). Teams will be leery of his shoulder injury (justifiably so). It will be like Brees vs. Culpepper, part II... and, some lucky team will be set for the next fifteen years.

Man we wasted some good teams with Kordell樂
    That one 20/10 season gave us all so much false hope.

He could've been a great receiver though.