View Poll Results: Which QB too good to pass on?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kizer

1 5.00%
  • Watson

1 5.00%
  • Trubisky

5 25.00%
  • None

13 65.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which QB Would You Take?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Which QB Would You Take?

IMO, worst case, we take Kelly with our 6th, and grab another early round QB next season. We upgrade the backup with Kelly, potential to be great, AND get a 'quality' starter in 2018 for when Ben retires. Both could work out which gives us a 2 great QBs(best case), and/or a viable backup(worst case). If we end up with 'both', that equals great trade value. 1st overall pick in the 2019/2020 draft type value. the draft is a gamble anyway. Gamble on the bigger payout.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

I realize that people on this forum haven't got much love for this year crop of rookie QBs but it seems like fans are sticking their heads in the sand regarding Bens consideration of retirement and the very last thing the organization needs to do is wait till Ben retires and pick someone in the following draft to replace him. Honestly what's wrong with using a 2nd round pick on a QB? Nothing, Mahomes,Peterman,Kaaya will be available early 2nd round and the draft is stacked with defensive players so take use 1st and both 3rd picks to help the defense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    I realize that people on this forum haven't got much love for this year crop of rookie QBs but it seems like fans are sticking their heads in the sand regarding Bens consideration of retirement and the very last thing the organization needs to do is wait till Ben retires and pick someone in the following draft to replace him. Honestly what's wrong with using a 2nd round pick on a QB? Nothing, Mahomes,Peterman,Kaaya will be available early 2nd round and the draft is stacked with defensive players so take use 1st and both 3rd picks to help the defense.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...roethlisberger

Thanks, I tried to get this link up as well

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think they'll do their due diligence and either go for a QB in the 2nd if one drops, or take one late (5-7) that is a boom or bust type.

I think that IF Mahomes is there at 30, that's the pick. If not, possibly 5-7 like you say.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

it seems like fans are sticking their heads in the sand regarding Bens consideration of retirement
    It's not that we don't see the writing on the wall, it's that we don't want to rush into Kyle Boller, when we could wait (and bear a small slump) in order to get Eli Manning/Big Ben/Philip Rivers.

As in: delayed gratification

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

For me, there are two and only two guys I look at.

1. Mahomes. He beat out Webb and he has a stronger and more accurate arm then anyone else that is going to be around at 30. Seriously, watch him throw the deep ball and imagine him in Haley's offense. Completed north of 60+ % of his passes - the only consistent marker of NFL potential. Fine, it is a gimmick offense and he is a system guy. That was the knock on Aaron Rodgers also. Who fell to where in the draft? 25th and selected by a team with an existing franchise guy. Got time to learn an NFL offense, refine his mechanics, etc. See where this is going?

2. Chad Kelly. I think he is likely to implode in the NFL. But he has the accuracy (over 60% in a big-time college conference) and the arm to make any throw in the NFL. But I think his emotional issues and his tendency to crumble against a big-time pass rush are serious hurdles. But a 6th round cost for a 1st round arm? I will take that gamble every single draft class until it works.

Every single other prospect seems (to me) to have a terminal flaw.

Kizer is super over rated because he has the "tools" but he doesn't make decisions fast enough and he is inaccurate.
    Peterman doesn't have the arm
    Kaaya had some success when he had a wealth of talent around him (freshman year) then tailed off after that. Would be okay with a late-round flier but feels like Landry Jones 2.0
    Webb is Jared Goff but not as good. That doesn't seem interesting.

The list just gets worse from there.

BurghBoy412

Mahomes in the 1st I'm ok with that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Completed north of 60+ % of his passes - the only consistent marker of NFL potential.
    Bingo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It's not that we don't see the writing on the wall, it's that we don't want to rush into Kyle Boller, when we could wait (and bear a small slump) in order to get Eli Manning/Big Ben/Philip Rivers.

As in: delayed gratification
    I understand and appreciate your point but see things a little differently. This draft is a "weak qb" draft but when you look at all the projected stud qbs in the last 5 years what do you come up with? Not much. My point is I don't trust the talking heads to tell us who's hot or not, I'm not sure what to expect but what I do know is we have a 35 year old QB who is contemplating retirement,who's been through several injuries and plays mediocre on the road. I'm not closing the book on Ben's career but we're probably reading the last pages.

I understand and appreciate your point but see things a little differently. This draft is a "weak qb" draft but when you look at all the projected stud qbs in the last 5 years what do you come up with? Not much. My point is I don't trust the talking heads to tell us who's hot or not, I'm not sure what to expect but what I do know is we have a 35 year old QB who is contemplating retirement,who's been through several injuries and plays mediocre on the road. I'm not closing the book on Ben's career but we're probably reading the last pages.
    You make a good point: maybe Mahomes (for example) is/will be better than the QBs in 2018 (who really knows???).

Maybe I'm also a tad biased towards PAC-12 QBs: Darnold, Rosen, Falk... even Browning.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

There really isn't a QB worth taking in the first 5 rounds.
    Hater = Realist

Hypothetically, say we know for certain this will be Ben's last season. In that scenario, I'm taking my highest rated QB of this draft at 30. Whoever that may be. Because, going forward, that QB is now learning behind Landry Jones, not BB. Is there a QB in this draft that we know will be better than Jones in 2-3 years? We are not replacing BB with a guy from this class. Not by any film, tape, footage, replay, etc, that I have seen on these guys. But we MUST upgrade from Jones. (And we come full circle)

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Mahomes in the 1st I'm ok with that.
    Seriously? Using the first round pick on a QB project who will most likely be a bench-warming journeyman? Maybe in round 6.
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Seriously? Using the first round pick on a QB project who will most likely be a bench-warming journeyman? Maybe in round 6.
    100% serious

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Mahomes didn't play for Texas tech and was in a more "standard" offense, he would go #1. NFL scouting is a crapshoot at best and they are crazy biased when it comes to QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurghBoy412

If you make all the teams that draft ahead of you believe that you covet a QB and they are on the fence about who to draft. You may force their hand on the QB and the player you really desire stays on the board. You can't read anything into interviews, visits, etc... The front offices are playing a game of chess as well as the players on the field.

IMO, the QB with the highest floor is Peterman. The QB with the highest ceiling is Mahomes. After those 2 Chad Kelly is the only one that intrigues me.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

All i want to know is why Webb and Mahomes arent on this poll
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    All i want to know is why Webb and Mahomes arent on this poll

Explain to me the hype on Davis Webb. *I have not watched any of his games*. But, everything I read on him is a powerful arm with very little accuracy downfield. That his completion totals are mostly within 10 yards of the LOS. The reason he lost his job to Mahomes at TT is due to inaccurate throws beyond those 10 yards. I can't understand why he's ranked as highly as he is.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Explain to me the hype on Davis Webb. *I have not watched any of his games*. But, everything I read on him is a powerful arm with very little accuracy downfield. That his completion totals are mostly within 10 yards of the LOS. The reason he lost his job to Mahomes at TT is due to inaccurate throws beyond those 10 yards. I can't understand why he's ranked as highly as he is.
    Id rather not explain that because I disagree with the hype. I just think its strange to have a poll on which possible 1st-round QB to take and there are 2 that are clearly ommitted
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Id rather not explain that because I disagree with the hype. I just think its strange to have a poll on which possible 1st-round QB to take and there are 2 that are clearly ommitted
    Because the poll is not just about 1st round, it's about QBs who may drop in the first round. The two you are referring to may climb into the first, but that wouldn't be dropping, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Because the poll is not just about 1st round, it's about QBs who may drop in the first round. The two you are referring to may climb into the first, but that wouldn't be dropping, would it?
    strong matter of opinion considering Webb has been considered 1st round caliber by a double digit number of teams. Last I checked we pick at #30 which by default puts Webb squarely in the territory of several teams in front of us. Mahomes has seen his stock rise rapidly in the past couple months as well, all the way up into 1st round territory. Its not like there are a lot of teams picking behind us in the 1st round

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Pete Prisco‏Verified account @PriscoCBS

The more personnel guys I talked to at NFL Meetings, the more convinced I am Davis Webb is going in first round - higher than you think.

strong matter of opinion considering Webb has been considered 1st round caliber by a double digit number of teams. Last I checked we pick at #30 which by default puts Webb squarely in the territory of several teams in front of us. Mahomes has seen his stock rise rapidly in the past couple months as well, all the way up into 1st round territory. Its not like there are a lot of teams picking behind us in the 1st round
    I sure haven't seen that about Webb. Who's mocking him in the first? And more specifically the early-mid first where it would be considered a drop to be there at 30? Do you have some links?

I've seen Mahomes mocked at the end of the first, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    100% serious
    You want to disregard serious positional needs to draft a low-rated QB project with the 1st pick?
    Hater = Realist

BurghBoy412

It's not like we've lost a whole lineup worth of players and they need replacing. You're starting next season with the same team minus Timmons. I feel like his replacement can be found in the 2nd via Raekwon McMillan. Now we won't to act like QB isn't a "serious" need. Perhaps it is not. But what happen if 7 goes down? Is Landry leading this team to the promise land ? It may not be the deepest QB class ( which is why you would draft the position early), but I have to believe Pat Mahomes comes in and supplants Landry pretty quickly. I think we are underestimating how poor o the teams QB depth actually is at the present moment.
    Last edited by BurghBoy412; 03-30-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    You want to disregard serious positional needs to draft a low-rated QB project with the 1st pick?

what team paid scout has said this ?

we hear talking heads ( that are consistently wrong make claims ) but those same talking heads didn't have Mahomes as a 1st rounder till a month ago now have Webb as one until a week ago but reports from the owners meetings have webb as a solid 1st rounder , is it smoke being blown in the lying season or is it fact ? IDK

what I do know is Mahomes has the best arm in this draft and if I am taking a chance on any QB in any draft I want the one with the best arm because I can not teach that , everything else is coachable same for any pos. give me the player with the unteachable skill set and I will coach him to be the player I desire ....

its better to own the unteachable skills than the more ready player who lacks those skills and will never be better than average because of it