Thread: The Steelers have $19,176,718 in cap space

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers have $19,176,718 in cap space

Someone was asking... and Jeremy Fowler just tweeted this:

"The Steelers have $19,176,718 in cap space according to the latest NFLPA public report. That's more space than half the teams in the NFL. Recent free-agent signings Knile Davis, Coty Sensabaugh and Justin Hunter will play on $775,000 salaries for 2017, hardly strapping the team's cap flexibility."

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: The Steelers have $19,176,718 in cap space

It looks like were bracing ourselves for an entire hoard of contract extensions. Hopefully Le'veon Bell, Stephon Tuitt, and Alejandro Villanueva (in that order).

If we end up done in free agency and get those 3 extensions done, I'll give this offseason an A+ so far honestly. Flirt with adding Zach Brown maybe?....if he doesnt break the bank but it sounds like he wants to
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So, 5 million for the draft class. Another 3 million for in-season contingencies. That's about 10 million or so for outside FA signings and extensions.

My guess, you don't see much else happen until after the draft. Cap room would allow the team to throw money at any priority UDFAs as well as being well positioned to pounce on any useful post-draft mid summer cuts.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So, 5 million for the draft class. Another 3 million for in-season contingencies. That's about 10 million or so for outside FA signings and extensions.

My guess, you don't see much else happen until after the draft. Cap room would allow the team to throw money at any priority UDFAs as well as being well positioned to pounce on any useful post-draft mid summer cuts.
    That's most likely correct unless something completely unexpected falls into their laps.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Also, we have 81 players under contract(counting Bryant). Add in 8 draft picks they are at 89(limit is 90). Cuts will have to be made for UDFA's, so I doubt they'll sign anyone else.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

I'd love to see the Steelers do something really smart and take away some of our wide receiver doubts for the year and pick up Anquan Boldin. He's practically a no-brainer. He'd draw coverage away from Brown and be a good security blanket for Ben like Cochery was a couple of years ago. He's still productive and can take balls away from defenders while covered. Can't imagine why we haven't hopped on that.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

we could also use that extra money to stash away and roll it over to the following offseason!
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    It looks like were bracing ourselves for an entire hoard of contract extensions. Hopefully Le'veon Bell, Stephon Tuitt, and Alejandro Villanueva
    ...and Shazier.

Also, I absolutely see a ton of BB's guaranteed contract being moved into this season's cap space. That way, when he retires (which is coming soon), his contract will be mostly taken care of.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Shazier will be for next year....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I'd love to see the Steelers do something really smart and take away some of our wide receiver doubts for the year and pick up Anquan Boldin. He's practically a no-brainer. He'd draw coverage away from Brown and be a good security blanket for Ben like Cochery was a couple of years ago. He's still productive and can take balls away from defenders while covered. Can't imagine why we haven't hopped on that.
    I wouldn't mind that at all. I just don't think he's in their plans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    ...and Shazier.

Also, I absolutely see a ton of BB's guaranteed contract being moved into this season's cap space. That way, when he retires (which is coming soon), his contract will be mostly taken care of.
    I'd hate to see him give up on his goal of winning 4.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This site says the Steelers currently have $16,464,00 in cap space. The 49ers have the most cap space at $68,262,190, the Pats have $26,384,304,the league average is $22,044,754, and 17 out of 32 teams have more cap space than the Steelers

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

It is not as if the Steelers are hoarding cap $$$ - for once they are not at the limit of the cap and as posted above can actually do some deals for valuable vets without having to go through the annual ritual of getting other players to redo their existing deals that created recurring problems with dead money during the first half of this decade.

- - - Updated - - -

And give him an incentive to retire earlier because he is getting paid more immediately?

I recall that is contrary to the Steeelers practice of how they do not redo existing contracts for the QB unless there are 2 or less years to go - might do it in 2018 since the current contract for Ben runs through 2019

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ben-roethlisberger-3595/

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    WHERE. Where does he fit? How many snaps is he realistically going to get with the realms of that fit? How much will he cost? Is his production going to be worth that cost?

Brown is an every down player and an All-Pro. Bell is an every down player and an All-Pro. Martavis Bryant is an All-Pro caliber player and his reinstatement decision has to come by March 28th and it would be completely unprecedented if he didnt get admitted back in. Coates was on pace for 1300 yards before breaking his fingers. Rogers finished his rookie season where he would have prorated to close to 800 yards if he didnt miss a few games and he's only going to get better. Justin Hunter was just signed and the steelers rarely cut players they sign in free agency so he's going to play in some capacity most likely. DHB has been a mainstay as an occasional receiver/our best blocking receiver/great special teams player. Did I mention we also have tight ends? Even with the assumption that Green is cut, we've looked at about 8 tight ends in this draft already and this is one of the best tight end classes ever so you can bet that a BPA drafting team like us will draft at least one. James is at worst a passable #2 and we actually like to use David Johnson and Hubbard as blockers.

Just where where where, would Anquan Boldin fit into all of that? You're talking 4-5 receivers likely to get more snaps, and at least 1-2 tight ends that will get more snaps. It doesnt make any sense. Snaps need to be distributed. Players need to come off the field to get certain players on the field. You cant just sign people on a whim

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I wouldn't bother with what is out there now and yea work on signing more of our own! Forget Brown as well and think VW will be a beast and wait and see. Someone down the road after cuts that has promise sure but for now stay! That said would love to see a run at Revis to see if he has anything left!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd hate to see him give up on his goal of winning 4.
    Technically, his goal (as stated when he was drafted) is 5.

But, if he wins his third, I'd bet he retires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    And give him an incentive to retire earlier because he is getting paid more immediately?

I recall that is contrary to the Steeelers practice of how they do not redo existing contracts for the QB unless there are 2 or less years to go - might do it in 2018 since the current contract for Ben runs through 2019

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/ben-roethlisberger-3595/

Signing bonus (not salary).

I'd pay off as much of that signing bonus as I can now, so that it's not dead money once he retires.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...isberger-3595/
    Signing bonus (not salary).

I'd pay off as much of that signing bonus as I can now, so that it's not dead money once he retires.
    This review of how Ben's bonus could impact the cap if he retires may have been posted back when Ben's discussion of retirement surfaced

Roethlisberger has three years remaining on a four-year contract extension he signed in 2015, one that included a signing bonus worth $31 million. Due base salaries of $12 million each season and including his prorated bonus amount of $6.2 million, Roethlisberger is set to cost Pittsburgh $18.2 million against the cap in 2017. He will account for $23.2 million in both 2018 and 2019 thanks to an additional roster bonus of $5 million owed each year.

Should Roethlisberger actually retire, for salary cap purposes it would be treated the same as if the Steelers had released him. Assuming this retirement happened prior to June 1, the entire amount of Roethlisberger’s prorated bonus would be accelerated forward to count against the 2017 ledger. Considering he would have been set to cost $18.2 million anyway, a retirement would end up costing Pittsburgh another $400,00 with the dead money charge set to be $18.6 million as it stands. If the retirement was processed after June 1, the Steelers would be hit with dead money of $6.2 million next year and $12.4 million in 2018.

However, depending on the language of the contract, the Steelers could well be able to recover that entire amount from the quarterback. Players that retire prematurely are liable for the outstanding prorated bonus amounts related to their contracts unless they have a clause preventing forfeiture. Given such an amendment strongly favors the player, it is very unlikely the extremely traditional Pittsburgh front office extended their veteran quarterback with such a contract back in 2016.

To recover this money, the Steelers would need to make a formal application for the funds, unless Roethlisberger took the initiative himself. Either way, Pittsburgh would receive salary cap credits reflecting the refund in 2018 and 2019 if relevant

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...er-retirement/

My bet is they wait to see if he does not play out the last 3 years of his contract and if he retires before then negotiate something on at least a partial repayment of the prorated bonus rather than just accelerate paying it out in full

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If the Steelers have $10M to "play with", there's plants of top free agents they could've signed...lol. 10M is plenty of money to sign top tier talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

My bet is they wait to see if he does not play out the last 3 years of his contract and if he retires before then negotiate something on at least a partial repayment of the prorated bonus rather than just accelerate paying it out in full
    Sort of like an injury settlement.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    WHERE. Where does he fit? How many snaps is he realistically going to get with the realms of that fit? How much will he cost? Is his production going to be worth that cost?

Brown is an every down player and an All-Pro. Bell is an every down player and an All-Pro. Martavis Bryant is an All-Pro caliber player and his reinstatement decision has to come by March 28th and it would be completely unprecedented if he didnt get admitted back in. Coates was on pace for 1300 yards before breaking his fingers. Rogers finished his rookie season where he would have prorated to close to 800 yards if he didnt miss a few games and he's only going to get better. Justin Hunter was just signed and the steelers rarely cut players they sign in free agency so he's going to play in some capacity most likely. DHB has been a mainstay as an occasional receiver/our best blocking receiver/great special teams player. Did I mention we also have tight ends? Even with the assumption that Green is cut, we've looked at about 8 tight ends in this draft already and this is one of the best tight end classes ever so you can bet that a BPA drafting team like us will draft at least one. James is at worst a passable #2 and we actually like to use David Johnson and Hubbard as blockers.

Just where where where, would Anquan Boldin fit into all of that? You're talking 4-5 receivers likely to get more snaps, and at least 1-2 tight ends that will get more snaps. It doesnt make any sense. Snaps need to be distributed. Players need to come off the field to get certain players on the field. You cant just sign people on a whim
    Boldin had more catches, yards and touchdowns than anyone on the Steelers except Brown and Bell...on the 21st ranked offense. Offer him an incentive contract to have another shot a title. No Brainer.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bold in would instantly be a #3 WR and an insurance policy for Bryant. Coates can be depended on about as much if not less than Bryant at this stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bold in would instantly be a #3 WR and an insurance policy for Bryant. Coates can be depended on about as much if not less than Bryant at this stage...
    Exactly my thinking