Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyson Alualu is a Steeler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Tyson Alualu is a Steeler

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Is he going to be bench pressing the opposing O-lineman or is he going to be using his entire body to push them back? I really think the bench is a poor way of judging a players strength. With proper technique he'll be taught to generate power through his legs and core to get push. I don't think he is just going to stand there and try to push with his arms and bench press guys into the backfield.
    Interesting.

No. I don't think he'll be bench pressing OL. However, the guy is 6'7" tall. The knock, what there is on him, is his overall brute strength is low. Lower body as well as upper body. He will lose leverage due to height naturally. His explosiveness is lower, as shown by his vertical, and his punch is weaker, as shown by the bench. # of reps also shows his focus on the weight room. My question is more, would you consider it low at 23, or lower than you would like due to his long frame. Because that number should be considered low.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Is he going to be bench pressing the opposing O-lineman or is he going to be using his entire body to push them back? I really think the bench is a poor way of judging a players strength. With proper technique he'll be taught to generate power through his legs and core to get push. I don't think he is just going to stand there and try to push with his arms and bench press guys into the backfield.
    I'd actually rather see a deadlift event at the combine. It's a true measure of total body strength. No reps either - just a one-rep-max.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Does his 23 reps on the bench concern you for DL, or do you chalk that up to his 6'7" frame?
    the guy has 35 5/8'' arms. I think id bench a little less than my fellow edge rushers of similiar weight too. the guy is anything but weak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd actually rather see a deadlift event at the combine. It's a true measure of total body strength. No reps either - just a one-rep-max.
    and/or squats
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    the guy has 35 5/8'' arms. I think id bench a little less than my fellow edge rushers of similiar weight too. the guy is anything but weak.

- - - Updated - - -

and/or squats

Not 'weak'. Just compared to Tuitt who had 31 reps at 6'5", w/34 3/4 arms. Reps are a little low. McCullers at 6'7" w/36 5/8 arms had 27 reps. Just a concern is all. Not calling the guy "weak".

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Squats are great to show lower body strength, but deads are truly the best compound exercise that is full-body.

Ideally make them do the big 3 and rank them by the total.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Squats are great to show lower body strength, but deads are truly the best compound exercise that is full-body.

Ideally make them do the big 3 and rank them by the total.
    turning part of the combine into a powerlifting meet? that would amazing
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

BurghBoy412

Agreed

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Interesting.

No. I don't think he'll be bench pressing OL. However, the guy is 6'7" tall. The knock, what there is on him, is his overall brute strength is low. Lower body as well as upper body. He will lose leverage due to height naturally. His explosiveness is lower, as shown by his vertical, and his punch is weaker, as shown by the bench. # of reps also shows his focus on the weight room. My question is more, would you consider it low at 23, or lower than you would like due to his long frame. Because that number should be considered low.
    I don't think the number of reps represents lack of strength. Lack of endurance, yes. We don't know his ORM . He quite possibly has the ability to lift as much as anybody else at the position 1 time. The lack of reps doesn't bother me because they have so many stoppages in the game now. Not to mention a 40 sec break between plays that are really only about 5 second bursts.

They'd be too worried about injury

They'd be too worried about injury
    there are hardly ever injuries at powerlifting meets. when there are, 99% its chalked up to:

1) The idiot doesnt even know how to lift
    2) The spotters are idiots

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

JPP only had 19 reps at the combine.

(That's who Kpassagnon reminds me of.)

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ziggy Ansah only had 21 reps at the combine.

(Kpassagnon reeeally reminds me of him.)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

As long as the player is willing to work, an NFL weight room will fix anything that needs fixing -assuming their frame can take more mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    As long as the player is willing to work, an NFL weight room will fix anything that needs fixing -assuming their frame can take more mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. This would be our 1st/2nd round pick however. I admit I'm not good at the long plan and want the guy who's ready NOW in the 1st. I just look at how we use our OLBs to rush, and that initial punch off the snap is crucial. Either that or speed. I just don't read where TK has either of those day one. I see a guy with the brute strength, like Lawson, or a guy with unnatural speed, like McKinley as who the Steelers are more likely to look at there. Plus, same weight room and training/coaching as the guy coming in weaker and slower.