Thread: Richard Sherman???

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Richard Sherman???

Hello guys!

There is word out in Seattle that the Seahawks are open to make a trade for Sherman for the right offer. New England will have a plethora of weapons this upcomming season and what we have at corner isn't close to competing.

If Golson is able to stay healthy, we will have good depth with the addition of Sensabaugh to go with Gay, but how Golson pans out is still a huge question mark. Burns is our best corner and he needs a stud next to him to compete with New England.

Cockrell is serviceable, but we can't afford to have serviceable corners at the starting position anymore. The only other option would be to find a stud corner in the first 2 rounds of the draft and start him. We would need to hit an absolute home run!

By not going after Sherman they will absolutely have to get a starter in the draft. New England has separated themselves and the Steelers are going to have to get aggressive. I'm well aware that Sherman has a huge contract but that can be worked out through a trade with the 2 teams settling on a percentage that both teams would owe him.

Throw in some other incentives such as draft picks to sweeten up the trade, then you have a deal. Will the Steelers do it? No, but they should at least try. It's either make a move or do nothing and play second fiddle to New England again. Ben's window is closing.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Richard Sherman???

Would Sherman fit the Steelers scheme and personnel would be the first question. Sherman's not a very flexible player.

Second question would be how much of Sherman's pay is Seattle willing to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    Hello guys!

There is word out in Seattle that the Seahawks are open to make a trade for Sherman for the right offer. New England will have a plethora of weapons this upcomming season and what we have at corner isn't close to competing.

If Golson is able to stay healthy, we will have good depth with the addition of Sensabaugh to go with Gay, but how Golson pans out is still a huge question mark. Burns is our best corner and he needs a stud next to him to compete with New England.

Cockrell is serviceable, but we can't afford to have serviceable corners at the starting position anymore. The only other option would be to find a stud corner in the first 2 rounds of the draft and start him. We would need to hit an absolute home run!

By not going after Sherman they will absolutely have to get a starter in the draft. New England has separated themselves and the Steelers are going to have to get aggressive. I'm well aware that Sherman has a huge contract but that can be worked out through a trade with the 2 teams settling on a percentage that both teams would owe him.

Throw in some other incentives such as draft picks to sweeten up the trade, then you have a deal. Will the Steelers do it? No, but they should at least try. It's either make a move or do nothing and play second fiddle to New England again. Ben's window is closing.
    The Steelers play second fiddle to NE because of poor game planning period! The Pats have won their last two SB with no-name players and no deep threat for Brady to throw to. It never hurts to talk to a player but Sherman is going to be too pricey, in money and in the giving up of draft picks. We have no R6 next year because of the Gibert deal, can't afford to lose another. Can't see the Steelers making a move like this .

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

No to the overrated big mouth...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

That would require too many draft picks in a deep class. Not to mention, he won't get away with as much holding as he does now as a Steeler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Fuck that guy and fuck his big mouth. I'd have a hard time rooting for an asshole like that.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    That would require too many draft picks in a deep class. Not to mention, he won't get away with as much holding as he does now as a Steeler
    No joke. That's how he's made his living. He's a prime candidate for the next "star cornerback who changed teams and suddenly couldn't cover people anymore" award. I could see him going to New England though, they could use another asshole.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not for the money. However, does he fit the role we would like to have? I think we get a younger version in this draft. Maybe Douglas from West Virginia.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That would require too many draft picks in a deep class. Not to mention, he won't get away with as much mugging as he does now as a Steeler
    Fixed.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No to the overrated big mouth...
    I can't possibly agree with this more.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

New England has separated themselves and the Steelers are going to have to get aggressive

It's either make a move or do nothing and play second fiddle to New England again.
    And can we please stop operating under the assumption that the Steelers need to get aggressive and spend a bunch of money on getting other teams' players just to compete with New England? The Steelers biggest problem last year in New England was a bad gameplan, 2 rookies in the secondary both of whom will be older, and Le'Veon getting injured. Plus not to mention, the Steelers were competitive in the regular season game while Landry Jones was starting

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He's a cover 3 corner. Not a fit here.

I'm not a fan of trading for a player with a big contract without knowing how he'll play with a new team. Could set the team back.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"Lockdown coverage" for Sherman = defensive holding (at a minimum) for everyone else...

The Steelers biggest problem last year in New England was the worst and most idiotic choice of a gameplan they could have possibly made...
    Fixed.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    "Lockdown coverage" for Sherman = defensive holding (at a minimum) for everyone else...

I think than the Seahawks had a interception on this play too....A game changer play!

And can we please stop operating under the assumption that the Steelers need to get aggressive and spend a bunch of money on getting other teams' players just to compete with New England? The Steelers biggest problem last year in New England was a bad gameplan, 2 rookies in the secondary both of whom will be older, and Le'Veon getting injured. Plus not to mention, the Steelers were competitive in the regular season game while Landry Jones was starting

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the defensive gameplan against NE. That is a major issue that needs to be addressed in the offseason. It won't matter who we get if we continue to play 15 yards off with a tackle the catch gameplan.

It's also true though that we need a starter at OLB to improve the pass rush as well as a starting press man cover corner to be successful in diversifying our scheme.

We can't have Harrison starting due to his age and Moats and Chickillo are not very productive starters. The only press cover type corner we have is Burns. Hopefully they address this in the draft. Mainly drafting a press cover corner. If they don't draft this type of corner then unfortunately it will show that Butler has no intent in modifying his scheme.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

yeah our group of corners dont make any schematic sense together...Burns is a press-man CB. Ross is a big kid but he's not even physical and better at zone. Gay is a tweener but more of a zone corner and he's declining. Senquez is supposedly capable of playing anywhere but he's best as a zone corner
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    yeah our group of corners dont make any schematic sense together...Burns is a press-man CB. Ross is a big kid but he's not even physical and better at zone. Gay is a tweener but more of a zone corner and he's declining. Senquez is supposedly capable of playing anywhere but he's best as a zone corner
    Replace Burns with Ike Taylor and aren't you describing the CBs on a 3 time SB team? No reason that Burns can't play man while everyone else plays zone. Steelers have done it before (Taylor and Woodson) and will do it again.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Replace Burns with Ike Taylor and aren't you describing the CBs on a 3 time SB team? No reason that Burns can't play man while everyone else plays zone. Steelers have done it before (Taylor and Woodson) and will do it again.

Exactly.

It's the perfect example of adjusting the scheme to fit the talent. If you have a guy that can lock down in press man coverage, let him do that. Figure the rest out and continue to add more talent like him to the mix.

I would love to see them get a big, physical press corner and add a safety like Marcus Maye from Florida. I love that kid as a player. He would be a great fit with Davis because he is so versatile. He can play in the box, he can play center field, he can play man coverage and has held up against tight ends in that duty. He has great instincts, he supports the run well, and he produces turnovers. You've probably seen him, but here's a highlight package to show his skills. A player like Maye would allow them to have interchangeable safeties.

What do you think of Maye? He broke his arm during the season, but I'm not sure it will affect his draft status.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

the 3-time SB teams didnt have starting cornerbacks lacking the physicality and tackling ability of Cockrell. i like Cockrell more than most but he does piss me off a bit at times. if our DB's become that predictable id say it makes it all but inevitable that elite QB's like Brady and Rodgers will tear it to shreds. We need more schematic flexibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The Steelers play second fiddle to NE because of poor game planning period! The Pats have won their last two SB with no-name players and no deep threat for Brady to throw to..
    Sometimes I swear the Steelers use Madden 98' to game plan.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No matter what scheme DBs played in college, zone or press, they will need to play both in the NFL. To say this guy is a zone CB when he's been in the league 5+ seasons means he's a bust. If you do not have what it takes to play whatever is called, you're a ST or, at best, a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Exactly.

It's the perfect example of adjusting the scheme to fit the talent. If you have a guy that can lock down in press man coverage, let him do that. Figure the rest out and continue to add more talent like him to the mix.

I would love to see them get a big, physical press corner and add a safety like Marcus Maye from Florida. I love that kid as a player. He would be a great fit with Davis because he is so versatile. He can play in the box, he can play center field, he can play man coverage and has held up against tight ends in that duty. He has great instincts, he supports the run well, and he produces turnovers. You've probably seen him, but here's a highlight package to show his skills. A player like Maye would allow them to have interchangeable safeties.

What do you think of Maye? He broke his arm during the season, but I'm not sure it will affect his draft status.

Would be a good pick for them, I like it

Ok sounds good!

We keep Burns in man while the rest play zone.
    So if we have Burns shadow Cooks, do we really think we can have everyone else play zone on Edelman, Amendola, Hogan and (God help us) Gronk as they have all proven to shred it?

We have won 2 Superbowls with that strategy but keep in mind, have not gone through Brady and the Pats doing it while also losing to Green Bay in Superbowl 45 with it.
    The league is constantly evolving so do the Steelers really want to use 2005 & 2008 as a blueprint?
    I sure hope they don't!

Suggesting that is no different than Lebeau using the same scheme, game plan and same personel type players for 30 years with his prodige Butler following suit. It's no wonder the Pats keep pasting us!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers need to play man to man more often, since this is impossible to beat Brady with the zone even with a great pass rush.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I bet Brady walks on water too.

He is the GOAT. But he can and has been beaten by a number of different schemes over his almost 2 decade career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Exactly.

This kid is outstanding, any idea what round he'll go in?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    This kid is outstanding, any idea what round he'll go in?

I'm guessing second round. I don't think his broken arm will be an issue as it has had a long time to heal before camp.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

no fan site is complete without bringing up the name of every notable FA , trade bait player or recent cut of a once was or never has been player but if we know anything about the Rooneys we know this .....

they will not over spend on someone else guys and they will not ship draft picks away for players with inflated salaries especially if said player is over 28 years old

Sherman is at that magic number in age , he also makes over 12.5 million a year , also would cost valuable draft picks on top of all that ...

my guess is you are more apt to be struck by Lightning twice in the same day and survive

If the Steelers make a move on someone, it will come during the preseason when teams are making roster cuts. Once a team released a starter and it is possible to sign them for much less than the contract that they were playing under at their former team, it becomes possible.

As Secondaryconcerns says above, they will not be giving up multiple draft picks to take a veteran corner that makes that much money.