Thread: The controversial draft offense early thread.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The controversial draft offense early thread.

To throw out a different, completely different approach to this draft.

There are some very promising offensive playmakers in the early rounds of this draft. What if, instead of locking in on a top tier OLB or CB, we looked into scoring more points?

If there at 30:

RBs: McCaffrey, Fournette, Cook, Kamara, Mixon. All could come in day 1 as an offensive scoring threat every time they touch the ball.

WRs: Williams, Ross, Kupp, Davis, Jones. Return of Bryant or not, each of these players upgrades the WR corps to lethal status.

Stick with the concept and not so much the names and rankings. These offensive players will each make a significant improvement to the teams they join, most likely. And most likely, right away, day 1 contributors. Yes we NEED defensive help. I'm asking you guys/gals to put on your offensive coordinator hats and approach this draft's first 2-3 rounds from an 'improve the offense' frame of mind.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: The controversial draft offense early thread.

i'll play along ... if drafting an offensive player in the first 2 round I think my guy /guys would be OJ Howard ( who likely will be off the board at 30 ) and Evan Engram ...

I see it as this we have a stable of WRs with deep speed , we have tall , pretty tall and a couple really slippery guys and all of them are either FAST or super quick and edgy for a lack of a better term ( can cut on a dime and give you change )

Bell is in a league of his own ( or close to it save David Johnson of the Cards ) the only thing missing is a move TE that can be counted on ( what we had hoped Green would provide but he has proven unreliable in the availability department )

the biggest problem with Engram is 30 is to soon and at 62 he will be long gone ... so either a trade out of the 1st would have to happen or a trade up in the 2nd otherwise it would be a severe reach on our part to obtain him ..

I never like to trade up its to costly and hate to throw picks away esp in the top 100 and that is what it would take to make that move up .... Trading back we could get an extra 3rd and could double down on a CB or Edge player with the added selection ..

thats my thoughts

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With the 1st 3 rounds gone, the Steelers have drafted(in whichever order), McCaffrey, Engram, and Kupp. This trio become the unstoppable force that re-energizes Ben to play another 3 seasons. With this trio, plus AB, Bell, Bryant, Hunter, and Green(since this is all fantasy anyway) the Steelers average 33-37 points/game. The defense continues to hold teams to under 25 for the season, like they did last season. The new greatest show on turf meets a continuing to grow and develop and improve young defense. I think that's a tasty looking future.

Would this draft really be THAT bad?

Round 1 Pick 30: David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)
    Round 2 Pick 30: Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
    Round 3 Pick 30: Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia
    Round 3 Pick 41 (COMP): Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova
    Round 4 Pick 28: Chad Hansen, WR, California
    Round 5 Pick 29: Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS/OLB, Louisville
    Round 6 Pick 29: Tashawn Bower, OLB, LSU
    Round 7 Pick 30: C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa