Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft Chad Kelly

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Draft Chad Kelly

It's not a question of do college athletes drink and smoke during college. It's a question of will they stop doing things that keep them off the field once in the NFL. Chad Kelly in the 5th-7th rounds is draftable. If this pic of Ben had shown up during the combine or during the draft, do you think the Steelers would have spent a first round pick on him? I do not. That's the ONLY point here.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    It's not a question of do college athletes drink and smoke during college. It's a question of will they stop doing things that keep them off the field once in the NFL. Chad Kelly in the 5th-7th rounds is draftable. If this pic of Ben had shown up during the combine or during the draft, do you think the Steelers would have spent a first round pick on him? I do not. That's the ONLY point here.
    I don't think Kelly has ever tested positive.

My argument is that 8 out of every 10 draft picks basically ever in the NFL smoked dope and drank to an extent that if it was photo documented would get them tagged with "character concerns". I'm not worried about it. With the rookie pay scale, etc etc -- once I'm outside the first round, I can cut these dudes if they stay stupid at no real loss to the team.

Talent at a discount (barring major team chemistry issues) should be drafted every time without hesitation. Jamis Winston hasn't stolen anything lately.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You only need to look at Miami drafting Tunsil just last year to understand there's risk/reward evaluation differences from team to team. Did the best OT in the draft drop due to on the field issues, or a pic of him smoking dope? I'm not arguing talent vs value, only that this pic of Kelly makes it an issue. It does. If the Steelers had Chad Kelly on their board as a round 1 selection, I doubt he would still be that high on the board after that pic from last November.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Quoted for truth

here I always thought it was Quite Fu#&ing true ....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You only need to look at Miami drafting Tunsil just last year to understand there's risk/reward evaluation differences from team to team. Did the best OT in the draft drop due to on the field issues, or a pic of him smoking dope? I'm not arguing talent vs value, only that this pic of Kelly makes it an issue. It does. If the Steelers had Chad Kelly on their board as a round 1 selection, I doubt he would still be that high on the board after that pic from last November.
    But that is a pointless argument in this case. I have stipulated from the beginning that none of what I am saying really "works" if we are talking about a Round 1 pick. But we are not - at least I am not. I'm talking about 5ht or 6th round pick most likely and 4th round pick at worst.

For me, that is solidly in the "lets gamble that this kid can pull his shit together and let his talent get on the field" portion of the draft. If I was an NFL GM, once I am out of the first two rounds, unless a kid murdered someone or had a side job as criminal mastermind, I'm just not that concerned about minor off the field stuff.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I am concerned with any off field patterns that keep a player out of uniform on Sundays , it may not be my business what he does but as a GM it would be my business that the things he does could keep him out of uniform as availability is job #1 and prior to round 5 I can not take that gamble but round 5 and beyond ( where most picks do not make rosters) it is a manageable risk with potential high reward ... but again I ask would he even be there then as I suspect the Bills would take a chance on him at that point and they pick well above us in rd 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    But that is a pointless argument in this case. I have stipulated from the beginning that none of what I am saying really "works" if we are talking about a Round 1 pick. But we are not - at least I am not. I'm talking about 5ht or 6th round pick most likely and 4th round pick at worst.

For me, that is solidly in the "lets gamble that this kid can pull his shit together and let his talent get on the field" portion of the draft. If I was an NFL GM, once I am out of the first two rounds, unless a kid murdered someone or had a side job as criminal mastermind, I'm just not that concerned about minor off the field stuff.
    I think this conversation has taken waaaay too many turns around too many corners. We agree on it's a bigger 1st-3rd round issue, and not so much to not really, rounds 4-7. All I was ever trying to say was the pic is an issue. Plain and simple. For the Steelers looking at drafting this player, and pics of him smoking pot surface at draft time, checking evals will now be done again. Not that this issue prevents this player from consideration because of the pic.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Can you imagine how much more there would be if Ben had gone to school now? Any version that we have in our heads where Roethlisberger didn't smoke and drink his way through school and most of his 20's is a lie.
    FBGM!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

It doesnt concern me that he drinks and/or smokes. It DOES concern me that he was booted from Clemson after trashing his fellow QB competition (teammates) on twitter, berating his coaches, and then after getting a second chance @ Ole Miss he got into a bar fight and threatened to go on a "shooting rampage." THAT is concerning....with all that being said...id still throw a 5 to 7th rounder at him 😁😁

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk