Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers hosting FA's Jay Elliott and Justin Hunter

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers hosting FA's Jay Elliott and Justin Hunter

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Steelers hosting FA's Jay Elliott and Justin Hunter

We've had enough WR's named Justin over 6'3"

Justin Hunter went to same high school as Sharknado.

Tomlin again looking in his hometown region.

I remember Hunter getting in trouble a couple years ago here but was found not guilty. He'd probably hang out w/ Jerry Porter.

http://wtkr.com/2015/09/15/tennessee...ach-bar-fight/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Hunter has been in the league for seemingly forever without ever coming close to marrying production (of almost any kind) to his seemingly vast physical potential. Ran a 4.4 at the Combine whatever year he came out while setting the top marks in vertical and broad jump. Dude is an "explosive" athlete that may either be unwilling or unable to digest and NFL playbook.

All that being said, he would be CHEAP and maybe the Steelers WR assembly line could make something out of him. All the tools are present.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hunter has been in the league for seemingly forever without ever coming close to marrying production (of almost any kind) to his seemingly vast physical potential. Ran a 4.4 at the Combine whatever year he came out while setting the top marks in vertical and broad jump. Dude is an "explosive" athlete that may either be unwilling or unable to digest and NFL playbook.

All that being said, he would be CHEAP and maybe the Steelers WR assembly line could make something out of him. All the tools are present.

this

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

These are the type of FAs that really move the needle for me. Get a player entering his prime. No overpay for past performances. If it doesn't work very little fallout.

I would rather gamble on these type of players working out then having a 32 year old barely average Dre Kirkpatrick counting 12.5 million on my cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

These are the type of FAs that really move the needle for me. Get a player entering his prime. No overpay for past performances. If it doesn't work very little fallout.

I would rather gamble on these type of players working out then having a 32 year old barely average Dre Kirkpatrick counting 12.5 million on my cap.

I agree.

I was high on Hunter when he came out. He was drafted much higher than I anticipated because he ran a very fast 40 time.

He was a high jumper in school, and the combination of size, speed, and leaping ability with body control are very intriguing. He hasn't had a quarterback like Ben to throw him the ball, and I think he would be a good pickup if the price is right.

Elliot is an interesting player. He probably won't cost too much and may be worth a look. Get him in camp and find out what he is really able to do. Versatility is important to the Steelers, so if he is able to play multiple positions he is valuable.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I agree on this

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

One thing about Elliot is he plays well on ST too, according to one of the articles. We need play makers on ST badly also. Rotational depth on DL/OLB, plus ST, means Steeler type guy in my book.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree.

I was high on Hunter when he came out. He was drafted much higher than I anticipated because he ran a very fast 40 time.

He was a high jumper in school, and the combination of size, speed, and leaping ability with body control are very intriguing.

He (Hunter) hasn't had a quarterback like Ben to throw him the ball, and I think he would be a good pickup if the price is right.

Elliot is an interesting player. He probably won't cost too much and may be worth a look. Get him in camp and find out what he is really able to do.

Versatility is important to the Steelers, so if Elliot is able to play multiple positions he is valuable.
    Based on what you are saying they sound like a pair worth gambling on.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I like Hunter, he has good speed, hands and catches the ball up and away from his body. It would be a nice addition.

Eliot just re-upped with the Pack.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I like this signing. He's big and fast and has never been on a team with a QB as good as Ben.

Lots of talent. We just need to bring the best out of him. Maybe AB can help with that as well as being on a winning team.

Our WR need is going to be based solely on whether or not Martavis gets reinstated.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Justin's signing makes me wonder about Marty. Does this mean that Marty may not be reinstated by the NFL or could he be released if he is reinstated? I mean, it could mean nothing and Justin could just be a camp body.

Justin Hunter:

2013: Caught 18/42 targets (42.9% of targets caught), 0 drops
    2014: Caught 28/67 targets (41.8% of targets caught), 4 drops (6% drop rate)
    2015: Caught 22/31 targets (71% of targets caught), 1 drop (3.2% drop rate)
    2016: Caught 10/24 targets (41.7% of targets caught), 0 drops

His quarterbacks for those respective seasons:

2013: Ryan Fitzpatrick (QBR 82) and Jake Locker (QBR 86.7)
    2014: Charlie Whitehurst (QBR 87.4) , Zach Mettenberger (QBR 83.4), and Jake Locker (QBR 70.9)
    2015: Marcus Mariota (QBR 91.5) and Zach Mettenberger (QBR 66.7)
    2016: Tyrod Taylor (QBR 89.7)

He did have a pair of 100 yard games his rookie season so there's that. Yay?

Also it looks like he played by far his best when he had an above average QB throwing to him. Hmm

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Justin's signing makes me wonder about Marty. Does this mean that Marty may not be reinstated by the NFL or could he be released if he is reinstated? I mean, it could mean nothing and Justin could just be a camp body.
    I think it means what Ed B. of the P-G said in his online chat yesterday

Art Rooney said recently they cannot count on Bryant, and I can tell you they feel the same way about Coates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201703140144

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I think it means what Ed B. of the P-G said in his online chat yesterday

Art Rooney said recently they cannot count on Bryant, and I can tell you they feel the same way about Coates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201703140144
    Thanks for the article.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He may have a shot at getting a roster spot beating out DHB, Hamilton and Ayers.

I like Ayers but he's going to have to shine in camp.

Coates is a huge question mark. I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Rogers seems to have the slot WR spot locked up.

Bryant stays clean and he is easily the #2.

I'm glad Richard Mann is back.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Sounds like anther under the radar signing that can contribute at what I'm positive is at a cheap price. Low risk, high reward

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Time will tell. For now, I like this signing. Not a big attention grabber deal, but could definitely pay off in a big way. Sort of like the DHB signing. 'Not bad' at worst, and the potential for 'great' is there.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I think it spells the end for DHB , pretty bad foot injury last year , speed was his game couple that with age setting in and well it just might be time to put him out to pasture

Hunter may not even make the team. He has always been a size speed prospect. Not sure how much longer that status can last. BUT...he does fit the Steelers mold of big, tall, fast, etc.

Figure this means they draft a guy more on the AB, Rodgers, Ayers -- route runner rock solid hands model.

On paper this is going to be a heckuva camp for WR spots:

1. AB
    2. Bryant
    3. Rodgers
    4. Coates
    5. DHB
    6. Ayers
    7. Hunter
    8. Severin
    9. Draft Pick
    10. Random FA

Hunter goes in #7. He typically shows up on most team's depth charts at #3 or #4 just by signing a contract.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

I'm glad Richard Mann is back.

this wins the thread

With Hunter signed and with Bryant looking like he'll be back soon, no reason to draft a WR, at least in the first 5 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    With Hunter signed and with Bryant looking like he'll be back soon, no reason to draft a WR, at least in the first 5 rounds
    Or at all this draft. Puts back up RB ahead of WR in terms of need now, IMO.

Steelers FO seems to think otherwise. They have a visit scheduled with Penn St. WR Chris Godwin. Projected 2nd round pick

Ive honestly felt good at wide receiver since the beginning of the offseason. AB is AB. Martavis Bryant NOT being reinstated would be completely unprecedented . Eli Rogers with a great rookie year, and probably ascending going into another year of development. Sammie Coates Was on pace for great numbers before being injured and has another year to develop. Life will be good

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

If Bryant gets reinstated, I would agree. That's still a big question mark right now though.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Ive honestly felt good at wide receiver since the beginning of the offseason. AB is AB. Martavis Bryant NOT being reinstated would be completely unprecedented . Eli Rogers with a great rookie year, and probably ascending going into another year of development. Sammie Coates Was on pace for great numbers before being injured and has another year to develop. Life will be good
    I thought so too especially with Mann as the coach, Hunter signing makes it even more so