Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dont'a Hightower to vist the Steelers

BurghBoy412

Re: Dont'a Hightower to vist the Steelers

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    from what I understand he signed for what they had offered prior to him hitting the road fielding other offers .... if that is the case they only opened as much as they where initially willing ..
    Oh well

BurghBoy412

from what I understand he signed for what they had offered prior to him hitting the road fielding other offers .... if that is the case they only opened as much as they where initially willing ..
    Besides we don't really know what transpired...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Besides we don't really know what transpired...
    no we only know what is reported and with all this " fake news" floating around the air waves its really anyone's guess

BurghBoy412

no we only know what is reported and with all this " fake news" floating around the air waves its really anyone's guess
    The details are not important. He didn't sign. End of story. I don't work in the FO. The money is not my part to have concerns about.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

He was interested initially!
    The problem was Butler walked into the room and presented the game plan for when we play
    Brady and the Patriots again and he laughed and walked out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm encouraged that they were willing to go after a top tier guy. In some ways, I think it's best that it didn't work out. I'd rather have an OLB or CB. Most of the top shelf guys are gone, but perhaps there's still somebody out there. I need to check the board.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a hard time believing that. I've got to think that would've been a short conversation. I bet it was $10M.
    The Steelers offer may have been less per year but it maybe had more guaranteed money that held Hightower's interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Ed B. of the P-G follows up on his tweet this afternoon that Hightower did the Steelers a solid by not accepting their offer with this article

By heading back to New England, Dont'a Hightower does the Steelers a favor

With crying needs at outside linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver and backup running back, the Steelers set their sights on Hightower, a big-name free agent who would have filled none of those holes. They apparently were willing to go nearly all-in on him during the first week of free agency while ignoring top-of-the-line players at their needy positions....

Hightower is overrated and overhyped, partly because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls, partly because he was a first-round draft pick and partly, well, because he played in New England....

The Steelers would have been better off signing Timmons to the deal Miami gave him instead of throwing money at Hightower, who at 27 may have his best years behind him....

[L]et’s say the Steelers had signed Hightower and used up a good chunk of their $20 million in cap space. What then?

They would still be left with big needs at outside linebacker and cornerback. Plus, how would Stephon Tuitt and his agents perceive Hightower’s deal when it comes time to negotiate an extension this summer. Or Shazier next year?

The Steelers rarely spend a ton of money in free agency, but this has also been the first time they’ve had a reasonable amount of room under the cap. They wasted their time trying to land the wrong player, and while they did not waste their money, they are left with few options but to add some lower-tier signings for depth.

After Hightower saved them from themselves, there’s nothing wrong with that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201703150164

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Ed got a lot of hate by Pats fans for that article lol.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Ed B. of the P-G follows up on his tweet this afternoon that Hightower did the Steelers a solid by not accepting their offer with this article

With crying needs at outside linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver and backup running back, the Steelers set their sights on Hightower, a big-name free agent who would have filled none of those holes. They apparently were willing to go nearly all-in on him during the first week of free agency while ignoring top-of-the-line players at their needy positions....

Hightower is overrated and overhyped, partly because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls, partly because he was a first-round draft pick and partly, well, because he played in New England....

The Steelers would have been better off signing Timmons to the deal Miami gave him instead of throwing money at Hightower, who at 27 may have his best years behind him....

[L]et’s say the Steelers had signed Hightower and used up a good chunk of their $20 million in cap space. What then?

They would still be left with big needs at outside linebacker and cornerback. Plus, how would Stephon Tuitt and his agents perceive Hightower’s deal when it comes time to negotiate an extension this summer. Or Shazier next year?

The Steelers rarely spend a ton of money in free agency, but this has also been the first time they’ve had a reasonable amount of room under the cap. They wasted their time trying to land the wrong player, and while they did not waste their money, they are left with few options but to add some lower-tier signings for depth.

Best article Ed wrote in years!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Great job Ed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Ed got a lot of hate by Pats fans for that article lol.
    "EDD BOOSHETS ANOTHAH JELLUS HATAH"

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...l/Default.aspx

After giving Hightower a physical, the Jets "were not comfortable" offering him a deal, the source said, confirming PFT's report from Thursday night.

BurghBoy412

I guess he's also only played in about 60% of games in his career. Glad it didn't happen now!!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Does this thread have an expiration date?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Does this thread have an expiration date?
    Best if read by March 15th.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    I guess he's also only played in about 60% of games in his career. Glad it didn't happen now!!
    I dont see that in the article. where did you see that
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I dont see that in the article. where did you see that
    PFT with Mike Florio was talking about it today. I shouldn't have posted that though. I went back and looked at his stats he misses about 4 games per regular season that's not 60%