Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont'a Hightower to vist the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Dont'a Hightower to vist the Steelers

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Dont'a Hightower to vist the Steelers

Very unlikely he signed with us ....

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

They have the cap space to sign him, but they are not going to get in a bidding war.

But it's so unlikely he signs, I expect he'll re-sign with the Pats in a few days.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

1. How in the hell are we entertaining signing Hightower if we werent willing to pay Timmons, who cost most likely whats going to be half what his going rate will be
    2. We'd rather entertain throwing gobs of money at a position where we already have a decent stopgap instead of cornerback? Really?

Surprisingly the jets only have a little bit more cap room than us
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I'm sure he'll sign with the pats for a pack of gum and three hot meals. I'm still a bit miffed that we let Timmins walk for such a reasonable price tag

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They need something more than a stop gap if they want to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Two words:

Zach. Brown.

- - - Updated - - -

We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

We need pass rush. He brings legit pass rush. See what price he's willing to entertain. In one minute we complain that they don't even talk to FAs, the next minute they talk to the wrong FAs. Let them do their job.

Taking a short look at salary/market value expectations for Hightower/Brown. Hightower is expected to make $10-$12Mil/year, and Brown is more in the $4-$6Mil/year range. Money aside, I still like Brown better overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    We need pass rush. He brings legit pass rush. See what price he's willing to entertain. In one minute we complain that they don't even talk to FAs, the next minute they talk to the wrong FAs. Let them do their job.
    cant speak for everybody but i didnt want him in the first place. id much prefer zach brown who will probably cost 2-3x less. Hightower is legit. Hell, someone around here is spreading word that he isnt good in pass coverage even though he is. He's an even better blitzer than Timmons. But his market value is insane and hes always injured. 2 oft injured ILB's? I dont feel good about the summation of that possibility

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Hightower is just using the Steelers and the Titans as stalking horses to get the Pats to up their offer.

If he wants to come take some meetings get the nickel tour and then have his agent tell him their offer is X dollars take it or leave it - what's the harm in that?

This is only a bad idea if they break the bank for him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hightower is just using the Steelers and the Titans as stalking horses to get the Pats to up their offer.

If he wants to come take some meetings get the nickel tour and then have his agent tell him their offer is X dollars take it or leave it - what's the harm in that?

This is only a bad idea if they break the bank for him.
    He's been earning around $2Mil/season. With what he brings, what would be the highest offer we should make? If the market is $10-$12Mil, we would need to offer $8-$10mil minimum, wouldn't you think? I'd rather bring in Brown and Revis for the same money.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

The Steelers need to sign someone, they let Timmons walk and do they expect to fill the void through the draft? Maybe but when the Steelers see the Patriots who manhandled them in the playoffs making very smart FA moves they cannot stand by and do nothing. The Superbowl runs through Foxboro and at this point the Steelers aren't anywhere close to the Pats player or coaching. Sign Hightower and make a move at a quality CB.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Vince Williams can fill the void Timmons left, I would rather have Brown and a quality CB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He's been earning around $2Mil/season. With what he brings, what would be the highest offer we should make? If the market is $10-$12Mil, we would need to offer $8-$10mil minimum, wouldn't you think? I'd rather bring in Brown and Revis for the same money.
    I wouldn't offer him any more money than what Timmons was offered. Hightower would be tasked with doing the same job and brings the same limitations to the table.

His market was projected to be 10-12 million, but it clearly isn't there. I don't think the Steelers need to offer him anything more than whatever their valuation on a 2 down ILB is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Vince Williams can fill the void Timmons left, I would rather have Brown and a quality CB.
    If Vince Williams can fill the void, then why Brown? Signing Brown would be an admission that there is concern that Williams can not fill the void. If you want depth, I would rather pay a rookie/younger guy. They are cheaper and offer maybe some more potential.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I would be shocked if the Steelers would be able to afford.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I disagree. Williams can't fill Timmons shoes.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

We need pass rush. He brings legit pass rush.
    Really? 2.5 sacks this year. 3.5 the year before.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

guess I am in the minority here ...

I have seen ....

he brings the same limitations Timmons brought ... I do not feel this is true or accurate

I would offer the same that Timmons was offered ..... Timmons age vs Hightowers age deem otherwise we are talking about a guy with 1 foot in retirement vs a guy who is in his prime and better at his craft

They do not have the cap space to make an offer ..... we have plenty of cap space if we are looking to nail down 1 premium FA and sign a few fringe players ( not our normal MO but plausible )

I see Hightower as the best ( and its not close folks ) inside backer in free agency if we where talking about a potential draft prospect he would be proclaimed as the prototypical Steelers linebacker oh wait he was by many prior to him being drafted by the Pats ... 4 short years ago MANY draft sites had Hightower mocked to the Steelers and it was not by accident his play style is what we have been known for over the years ...

This would be a fantastic signing and would limit the production necessary from the outside LBers to still have the pressure needed to be successful PROVIDED he could remain healthy ( which he has had some issues with in the past ) ...

I would not be comfortable with anything over 4 years 42 million but would prefer it to be 4 year 37 million with a 5th year club option at 10 million ...

Plug him in next to Shazier and we would have the top inside LB duo in the league and be 1 Corner 1 OLB away from hoisting number 7

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

pressure is the key and always has been , sacks are just 1 product of pressure ...

errant throws , ints because of are just as important , drive stopping plays ...

Yes. If you look at QB hits, hurries, and sacks, he does a lot in the passer rushing department.

Yes really. Hightower is well known as arguably the best pass rushing ILB in the league. He can also rush from the outside, something Timmons is horrible at. Its not all about sacks. Do you think Brandon Graham sucks?

It's pointless to debate it. If and when he gets to Pittsburgh, he's leaving NY now, he's gonna meet, he's gonna take all these back to NE and sign with Belichick for the $10M/year they offered him. NE told him to go out and check the market and bring an offer back to us. The Steelers offering $6M a year isn't getting it done.

BurghBoy412

Probably just a ploy to get NE to cough up the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Probably just a ploy to get NE to cough up the cash.
    they have like triple the cap space that we do. they wont care

NE isn't gonna cough it up, they'll pay what they want and if he leaves, he leaves. They don't give a shit if their free agents leave. Name one free agent that left New England and wound up hurting them? Maybe you could say Richard Seymour but not really...

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    they have like triple the cap space that we do. they wont care
    Are we better off with a guy who's played in the biggest games in the league? Or a rookie that hasn't played a snap in the league yet?

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

If Vince Williams can fill the void, then why Brown? Signing Brown would be an admission that there is concern that Williams can not fill the void. If you want depth, I would rather pay a rookie/younger guy. They are cheaper and offer maybe some more potential.
    Depth is exactly the reason, experienced depth. Let Brown and VW fight it out in camp for the starting position, then we have a solid depth. How did our DL depth work out after Heyward was lost for the season? I do think VW can fill in for Timmons, I didn't say he was as good as Timmons though, I didnt say there wouldnt be a drop off. There is a drop off between VW and Timmons (not enough to cause alarm though). I also think Brown is an upgrade over VW so why not if he comes in at 4-5m/year.

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Are we better off with a guy who's played in the biggest games in the league? Or a rookie that hasn't played a snap in the league yet?
    presenting only 2 choices? man oh man, this situation is much more flexible than that.

1. personally i dont want hightower. if we need to pull a free agent for vote of lack of confidence in vince williams, i would love zach brown. his market value is around $4.5 million right now per sportrac. Thats outstanding value for a young, all-purpose ILB that was a 2nd team All-Pro

2. why's it got to be a rookie that has to start? why not vince williams? he has extensive experience in our system and is a cerebral hard working player. hasnt had a lot of pass coverage experience here. perhaps he'll end up exposed, perhaps he wont. if we choose not to replace him with a free agent ILB, we can move towards other sub packages to mask that deficiency. Lots of teams are using hybrid linebacker/safeties. Deone Buchanon, Mark Barron, Kam Chancellor, and Sua Cravens are a couple of guys finding success in these roles. the nfl is a subpackage league anyways

3. there are several rookies i would feel good about plug and playing as either a hybrid linebacker/safety or ILB: Haason Reddick, Reuben Foster, Jarrad Davis, Obi Melifonwu, Josh Jones, and Raekwon McMillan. ILB/MLB's step right into the league all the time and excel

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Yes. If you look at QB hits, hurries, and sacks, he does a lot in the passer rushing department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Yes really. Hightower is well known as arguably the best pass rushing ILB in the league. He can also rush from the outside, something Timmons is horrible at. Its not all about sacks. Do you think Brandon Graham sucks?
    I disagree. He's a good player and maybe worth $8-10M, but we need a guy who can GET TO the QB - SACKS! If a Steelers player was putting up those stats, we wouldn't be talking about what a great pass rusher he was.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The sacks is not the problem for the steelers in the last 2 years....The pressure is one of the big problem of this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The sacks is not the problem for the steelers in the last 2 years....The pressure is one of the big problem of this defense.
    Again, I disagree. They were both problems.