Thread: Redskins Dumpster Fire

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Redskins Dumpster Fire

The Browns are perpetually bad and the Raiders are cursed with the incompetence of an owner who inherited the team from a NFL legend, but no flagship franchise with a high market value does dysfunction better than Washington.

This on the Redskins firing GM Scot McLoughlan as the free agency signing period starts

An official with direct knowledge of the situation attributed the decision to McCloughan’s ongoing problems with alcohol, which also led to his firing from front-office positions with the San Francisco 49ers in 2010 and Seattle Seahawks in 2014.

“He’s had multiple relapses due to alcohol,” said the official, who spoke on a condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment on personnel matters. “He showed up in the locker room drunk on multiple occasions. . . . This has been a disaster for 18 months.”...

McCloughan’s ouster leaves the Redskins with limited options for directing their roster-building strategy. NFL tampering rules prohibit them from wooing away any currently employed general manager. In the interim, it appears, Redskins President Bruce Allen will oversee decisions on free agency and the draft.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.1a4751f8565f

Of course you need to be careful about your own behavior when you are leaking claims a terminated employee was an alcoholic

It Seems Everyone Is Taking Scot McCloughan's Side In Washington Divorce

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Redskins Dumpster Fire

Yeah, but the Redskins are the 3rd-highest valued franchise in the NFL, so I guess it's high time to put Danny Boy in the HoF, since franchise market value is the only conceivable reason Jerruh got in there...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yeah, but the Redskins are the 3rd-highest valued franchise in the NFL, so I guess it's high time to put Danny Boy in the HoF, since that is apparently the only reason Jerruh got in there...
    I do not think Snyder is going to be in the HOF, since he has not 3 super bowl like Jerry Jones.In fact the redskins have only 2 win playoffs since 1999.

I do not say that Jones deserves to be in the HOF, but I am convinced that his 3 super bowl have helped him even if it's been a long time.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I have alot of college friends that live in the DC/No. Virginia area and they are done w/that team lol. I'm trying to get them over to Black and Gold before they do something dumb like go purple.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I do not think Snyder is going to be in the HOF, since he has not 3 super bowl like Jerry Jones.In fact the redskins have only 2 win playoffs since 1999.

I do not say that Jones deserves to be in the HOF, but I am convinced that his 3 super bowl have helped him even if it's been a long time.
    It's become fairly apparent that outside of signing the paychecks, Jones literally had nothing to do with those Super Bowl wins in the 20+ years since.

And I fully expect a nosedive by the Cowboys in '17 that will be similar to the one the Panthers took in '16, especially now that there's a full season's worth of tape on Prescott.

And besides Goodell, Jones (and Snyder and Kraft) are a big part of what's wrong with the current day NFL, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

It's become fairly apparent that outside of signing the paychecks, Jones literally had nothing to do with those Super Bowl wins in the 20+ years since.
    He turned into a clown, but when he took over a franchise in disrepair he took the heat by firing NFL legend Tom Landry (who after a 3-13 season in 1988 said he planned to coach into the 1990s) and made the right call by hiring Jimmy Johnson. Since hiring and firing coaches is what makes or breaks an owner I give him credit for canning Landry when he would not quit and hiring Johnson as well as the blame for running Johnson off. Just as the Rooneys laid down the foundation for the 70s Steelers by hiring Chuck Noll so Jones made it possible for the 90s Cowboys to happen by hiring Johnson.

IMO the 90s Cowboys would have won 4 straight Super Bowls if the Jones/Johnson blowup had not happened and would be regarded as the greatest NFL team of all time.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    He turned into a clown, but when he took over a franchise in disrepair he took the heat by firing NFL legend Tom Landry (who after a 3-13 season in 1988 said he planned to coach into the 1990s) and made the right call by hiring Jimmy Johnson. Since hiring and firing coaches is what makes or breaks an owner I give him credit for canning Landry when he would not quit and hiring Johnson as well as the blame for running Johnson off. Just as the Rooneys laid down the foundation for the 70s Steelers by hiring Chuck Noll so Jones made it possible for the 90s Cowboys to happen by hiring Johnson.

IMO the 90s Cowboys would have won 4 straight Super Bowls if the Jones/Johnson blowup had not happened and would be regarded as the greatest NFL team of all time.
    Hiring Jimmy Johnson was literally all he contributed to that team, and let's not forget Jones and his Jupiter-sized ego were the prime reason the Jones/Johnson relationship fell apart

I figured that McCloughan's dismissal had something to do with a clash with the higher ups in the organization, and I was right, heard on NFL network it was due to a clash with Bruce Allen

3 words in rebuttal: Herschel Walker trade. And I still wish we had more than just a journeyman QB in SB XXX.

3 words in rebuttal: Herschel Walker trade. And I still wish we had more than just a journeyman QB in SB XXX.
    ???

Dan Rooney Jr. did not make the picks in the 1969 - 74 drafts that built the dynasty either. Does that discredit him pushing The Chief to hire Coach Noll?

An owner hires the front office then lives with the decisions of those he hired. Jones got that right until he did not.

Jones, Johnson and Barry Switzer all played for Frank Broyles at Arkansas. Coach Broyles recommended Jones hire Switzer, not Johnson.

So I give him credit for the Johnson hire just as I give Dan Rooney credit for the Noll hire. Those hiring decisions are what put them in Canton and what will put Bob Kraft there soon.

???

Dan Rooney Jr. did not make the picks in the 1969 - 74 drafts that built the dynasty either. Does that discredit him pushing The Chief to hire Coach Noll?

An owner hires the front office then lives with the decisions of those he hired. Jones got that right until he did not.

Jones, Johnson and Barry Switzer all played for Frank Broyles at Arkansas. Coach Broyles recommended Jones hire Switzer, not Johnson.

So I give him credit for the Johnson hire just as I give Dan Rooney credit for the Noll hire. Those hiring decisions are what put them in Canton and what will put Bob Kraft there soon.
    Except the Steelers with Dan Rooney Jr as owner have managed more than just 2 wildcard round playoff wins after the prime years of the 70s steelers had passed (a lot more). Can't say the same for Jerry Jones in that regard
    Last edited by st33lersguy; 03-10-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Except the Steelers with Dan Rooney Jr as owner have managed more than just 2 wildcard round playoff wins after the prime years of the 70s steelers had passed (a lot more). Can't say the same for Jerry Jones in that regard
    Dan Rooney was admitted in 2000 before the second wave of big success from 2004 - 2010 (no owner gets to Canton for hiring a coach that loses conference championship games at home)

If Dan Rooney gets in Jones gets in - posters here may not like it but he helped take the league to the next level in terms of profitability in addition to 3 Lombardis

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

My opinion only. Owners should not be in the same HoF as players and coaches. It's a completely different game they play from the one on the field. Who are(have been) the best at playing that game? Rooney, AND Jones should both be on that list. Al Davis, for all his craziness, should be on there. The owner and coaches work together about like CEOs and HR managers. They have meetings regularly, but the jobs are completely separate.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I agree with AtlantaDan on this one. We may not like Jones or the Cowboys, but he was smart enough to hire Johnson and step out of the way and let him build the roster. If he hadn't of done that, he'd likely have no Super Bowls.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

If Jimmy wasn't Jerrah's college buddy, would Jerrah have hired Jimmy????

I mean it's all in the history books now, he did hire Jimmy.

What has Jerrah done since besides winning the Skeletor lookalike contest???

Now that his son has more power, they haven't changed coaches every other year. No crazy FA signings (besides Greg Hardy). Building more through the draft.

Gee, who does that sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    What has Jerrah done since besides winning the Skeletor lookalike contest???