Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers re-sign TE David Johnson

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers re-sign TE David Johnson

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers re-sign TE David Johnson

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Not a bad re-signing, he was valuable in run-blocking. Of course somewhere out there, a certain twitter troll is pitching a fit over this

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

How dare they...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Two year deal.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm never rooting for this team again! Colbert and Tomlin are running this franchise into the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I'm never rooting for this team again! Colbert and Tomlin are running this franchise into the ground!

Blame Todd Haley for that!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Was that the Twitter troll" talking? (Like the alliteration?).

https://twitter.com/SteelersCrash/st...45813749084161

"Ben needs to Carson Palmer himself and save his career"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I can only imagine what is being spewed out of the mouths of the malcontents on twitter.

I don't follow it at all. I just couldn't resist dropping some sarcasm.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I can only imagine what is being spewed out of the mouths of the malcontents on twitter.

I don't follow it at all. I just couldn't resist dropping some sarcasm.
    That dipshit, Crash, is beside himself with rage right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    https://twitter.com/SteelersCrash/st...45813749084161

"Ben needs to Carson Palmer himself and save his career"
    That guy is a clown.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    That dipshit, Crash, is beside himself with rage right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    It's scary that he has a twitter account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    It's scary that he has a twitter account.

It was even scarier when he had a Steelers Universe account....

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This means either goodbye Xavier or good bye Ladarius. I think we'll find out in the summer
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'm fine with this and the Landry signing.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers re-sign TE David Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'm fine with this and the Landry signing.

Yeah. Both are the kind of boring signings that make rosters work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

THE MEDDLING LAWYER STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    If you boys are going to call me out and stalk me on Twitter? Then reinstate my account and have the guts to let me post here.

What's that you say? The Super Bowl champs traded their 32nd pick for a proven player? Well I'll be damned.

But the Steelers will sign slow footed "Big Al" to a cheaper deal and hope he doesn't get Ben killed again.

The organization is a joke. A failure. You would think if they really appreciated Ben they would at least have gotten him Terrelle Pryor, who's one year "prove it" deal is exactly up the Steelers alley. Or Brandon Marshall who practically was BEGGING the Steelers to sign him.

But they didn't, so now they'll hope a pot head stays clean and hope a multi-concussed tight end who can't block can stay on the field also.

And the fans who agree with it will be the first ones crying and blaming Ben (If he comes back) when teams triple AB all year and the moron OC has David Johnson and Nix on the field running pass patterns. I wanted Pryor or Marshall for one reason: The MINUTE Chubbs Peterson yanks them out of a game in the RZ for his trickster bullshit? THEN the Retodd will finally start getting bashed by the local media and fan base.

Losing Timmons is a disgrace. People told me they offered him $5 million in guaranteed money. JFC don't insult the guy. Just don't give him any offer then. He did nothing but play and represent this team with class and dignity for 10 years and they low ball him like that? Shameful.

All this cap room, and they've done nothing with it. A chance to shore up this team for once with cap room they've never had. And of course they did nothing with it.

If you're Ben? Why would you WANT to return at this point? Money doesn't motivate Ben. Winning titles does. And they've done jack fucking squat to improve their chances of winning another one. Ben has all the money he'll ever need. Like I said, he should Carson Palmer himself. "Retire" for a year and then get traded, my guesses would be Arizona for obvious reasons, or Denver, who's organization under Pay Bowlen has always treated quarterbacks like royalty, where as the Steelers treat Ben like a a common peasant.

Then find another team......and forum.

If you boys are going to call me out and stalk me on Twitter? Then reinstate my account and have the guts to let me post here.

What's that you say? The Super Bowl champs traded their 32nd pick for a proven player? Well I'll be damned.

But the Steelers will sign slow footed "Big Al" to a cheaper deal and hope he doesn't get Ben killed again.

The organization is a joke. A failure. You would think if they really appreciated Ben they would at least have gotten him Terrelle Pryor, who's one year "prove it" deal is exactly up the Steelers alley. Or Brandon Marshall who practically was BEGGING the Steelers to sign him.

But they didn't, so now they'll hope a pot head stays clean and hope a multi-concussed tight end who can't block can stay on the field also.

And the fans who agree with it will be the first ones crying and blaming Ben (If he comes back) when teams triple AB all year and the moron OC has David Johnson and Nix on the field running pass patterns. I wanted Pryor or Marshall for one reason: The MINUTE Chubbs Peterson yanks them out of a game in the RZ for his trickster bullshit? THEN the Retodd will finally start getting bashed by the local media and fan base.

Losing Timmons is a disgrace. People told me they offered him $5 million in guaranteed money. JFC don't insult the guy. Just don't give him any offer then. He did nothing but play and represent this team with class and dignity for 10 years and they low ball him like that? Shameful.

All this cap room, and they've done nothing with it. A chance to shore up this team for once with cap room they've never had. And of course they did nothing with it.

If you're Ben? Why would you WANT to return at this point? Money doesn't motivate Ben. Winning titles does. And they've done jack fucking squat to improve their chances of winning another one. Ben has all the money he'll ever need. Like I said, he should Carson Palmer himself. "Retire" for a year and then get traded, my guesses would be Arizona for obvious reasons, or Denver, who's organization under Pay Bowlen has always treated quarterbacks like royalty, where as the Steelers treat Ben like a a common peasant.

You have no credibility...You said that Antonio Brown wanted to be a free agent in 2018 and that the steelers needed to give a first round pick for Joe Thomas if the steelers wanted to be in the AFC title game.

The Steelers are not perfect, but they are far from being a joke or a failure

Oh joy you are back. Complain all you want, the Steelers will never listen to you because you are an absolute joke whose knows as much about football as the average 5 year old knows about astrophysics. Your ideas are terrible (i.e. trading draft picks for 30+ year old players which is incredibly short-sighted) as are your evaluation of some players (i.e. Mendenhall better than Bell). You are nothing but an angry troll who spews nonsensical ramblings, and the worst part is you are so convinced you are right to the point that you are condescending to everyone who provides a logical counterargument to your wild declarations. My advice is to get off the internet and find something else to do with your time so you stop humiliating yourself, which is all you are accomplishing right now

Was shocked they signed AB that early. NO doubt.

NO, what I said was you trade a #2 pick for Joe Thomas, with the condition that if they made the AFC title game, it then turns into a #1 pick.

If you're going to quote me, get it right. [/COLOR]

No matter, I was right when I said that the steelers did not need Joe Thomas to be in the AFC title.

Joe Thomas would not change the result against the Patriots.Maybe Bryant, a healthy Bell and a defense capable of playing man-to-man the result would have been better....

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the rub. I don't care who owns the team. No one ever paid a nickel to watch a Rooney do anything.

I root for and appreciate the players. Apparently like the Rooney's, you don't.
    You should start to appreciate the talent of Bell before saying comments like that.

Good, the troll's posts are getting deleted

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I know how this goes, so I'll cut right to it. Based on these numbers, the Steelers realistically have about $12.8 million dollars in cap room

"The total of the Steelers projected future charges is $8,162,277 and if you subtract that from the $20,994,026 available cap space the team has right now you get a real expendable number of $12,831,749, which is at the very bottom of the table." -- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/steelers-2017-salary-cap-projected-space-start-free-agency/

So let's play a game. While taking in to account extensions for the following players: Villenueva, Tuitt, Shazier, and Bell - who would you have signed with the roughly 8-9 million dollars that leaves (figure Bell's extension lowers his cap hit somewhat and the others go up)?

Oh. Wait. Were you just pissing and moaning randomly on the internet again? Were you one of the dudes with the hottest of "takes" that figured the Steelers had $30 million to spend?

Again, you are revealing yourself to be a reactionary know nothing. Just being the digital equivalent of loud doesn't mean you know anything.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ - that the list. Who under $8 million per year makes this roster fundamentally better?

Tony Jefferson? Well they already have 3 SS on the roster. Why pay for another one?
    Terelle Pryor? Look at these #'s - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...iver/full-cap/ -- why pay Pryor for what they typically get for less than $1 million per season?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I know how this goes, so I'll cut right to it. Based on these numbers, the Steelers realistically have about $12.8 million dollars in cap room

"The total of the Steelers projected future charges is $8,162,277 and if you subtract that from the $20,994,026 available cap space the team has right now you get a real expendable number of $12,831,749, which is at the very bottom of the table." -- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/steelers-2017-salary-cap-projected-space-start-free-agency/

So let's play a game. While taking in to account extensions for the following players: Villenueva, Tuitt, Shazier, and Bell - who would you have signed with the roughly 8-9 million dollars that leaves (figure Bell's extension lowers his cap hit somewhat and the others go up)?

Oh. Wait. Were you just pissing and moaning randomly on the internet again? Were you one of the dudes with the hottest of "takes" that figured the Steelers had $30 million to spend?

Again, you are revealing yourself to be a reactionary know nothing. Just being the digital equivalent of loud doesn't mean you know anything.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ - that the list. Who under $8 million per year makes this roster fundamentally better?

Tony Jefferson? Well they already have 3 SS on the roster. Why pay for another one?
    Terelle Pryor? Look at these #'s - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...iver/full-cap/ -- why pay Pryor for what they typically get for less than $1 million per season?

Crash just doesn't have a firm grip on reality and doesn't operate in any of the know realms. To watch his team go to the AFC championship game and call the Rooneys a joke exposes him as being delusional. He makes a lot of wild claims that have no basis in fact.

Everyone would love to see them sign two huge free agents that become difference makers.

The reality is that they can probably sign one significant FA. The rest of the cap is probably for signing depth and having enough in reserve to be able to have available room to sign a player when roster cuts begin during the preseason.

Bashing the team for not signing anyone while simultaneously not understanding how much cap space they actually have is the biggest problem. The Steelers are choosing not to blow all their cap room on a big name FA. At this point, it appears that they like the talent they have, and the draft positions they hold. I'm sure they're still looking at signing free agents, and they are probably in discussions with teams about trades that none of us may ever hear about. Such is the nature of the NFL. Even when nothing appears to be going on, there is a lot happening behind the scenes.

I believe the organization believes they are one good draft and a solid free agent signing from completing the roster and being in position to win a championship. Everyone sees the Patriots signing players left and right. They see many teams making big money signings and trades that really shake things up.

The problem is.....how many of these teams making huge moves are really going to be challenging for a championship? The answer is almost always none of them.

With the Steelers getting back a healthy Heyward, a clean Bryant, and a (fingers crossed) Golson....they believe they already have enough signed talent in place to push them over the top. Add to that the fact that we saw what Bell can do in the playoffs before his injury. Last year's young talent got a lot of experience and are ready to take the next step. The team is already loaded with talent. They just need everyone to stay healthy and sober, while they continue to acquire elite talent in the draft.

I don't know how long Ben will play. Many keep saying this will be his last year or he may play two more years, but we don't know that. In fact, the team taking their usual draft for success template seems to indicate that Ben may plan on being around longer than many think. If they draft well this year and add a strong pass rusher and a back end playmaker on defense, there is good reason to think that this team will have all the tools to win a super bowl or two.

We have been watching the reconstruction of an NFL power over the last 4-5 years. The entire roster has been turned over except for Ben. Now is not the time to question the organization. People just don't realize how hard it is to do what the Steelers have continued to do over the last 45 years.....Draft talent and build rosters at a level that allows them to consistently compete for championships. If all the doomsayers would actually do a little research and compare the Steelers to every other franchise over that period of time, they would know that what they do has been unprecedented. Too many just look at a couple year window and try to bash the team and form conclusions. Reality doesn't work that way.

This team is right at the precipice. One more push and they can once again get to the top of the mountain.
    Last edited by pczach; 03-12-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Crash just doesn't have a firm grip on reality and doesn't operate in any of the know realms. To watch his team go to the AFC championship game and call the Rooneys a joke exposes him as being delusional. He makes a lot of wild claims that have no basis in fact.

Everyone would love to see them sign two huge free agents that become difference makers.

The reality is that they can probably sign one significant FA. The rest of the cap is probably for signing depth and having enough in reserve to be able to have available room to sign a player when roster cuts begin during the preseason.

Bashing the team for not signing anyone while simultaneously not understanding how much cap space they actually have is the biggest problem. The Steelers are choosing not to blow all their cap room on a big name FA. At this point, it appears that they like the talent they have, and the draft positions they hold. I'm sure they're still looking at signing free agents, and they are probably in discussions with teams about trades that none of us may ever hear about. Such is the nature of the NFL. Even when nothing appears to be going on, there is a lot happening behind the scenes.

I believe the organization believes they are one good draft and a solid free agent signing from completing the roster and being in position to win a championship. Everyone sees the Patriots signing players left and right. They see many teams making big money signings and trades that really shake things up.

The problem is.....how many of these teams making huge moves are really going to be challenging for a championship? The answer is almost always none of them.

With the Steelers getting back a healthy Heyward, a clean Bryant, and a (fingers crossed) Golson....they believe they already have enough signed talent in place to push them over the top. Add to that the fact that we saw what Bell can do in the playoffs before his injury. Last year's young talent got a lot of experience and are ready to take the next step. The team is already loaded with talent. They just need everyone to stay healthy and sober, while they continue to acquire elite talent in the draft.

I don't know how long Ben will play. Many keep saying this will be his last year or he may play two more years, but we don't know that. In fact, the team taking their usual draft for success template seems to indicate that Ben may plan on being around longer than many think. If they draft well this year and add a strong pass rusher and a back end playmaker on defense, there is good reason to think that this team will have all the tools to win a super bowl or two.

We have been watching the reconstruction of an NFL power over the last 4-5 years. The entire roster has been turned over except for Ben. Now is not the time to question the organization. People just don't realize how hard it is to do what the Steelers have continued to do over the last 45 years.....Draft talent and build rosters at a level that allows them to consistently compete for championships. If all the doomsayers would actually do a little research and compare the Steelers to every other franchise over that period of time, they would know that what they do has been unprecedented. Too many just look at a couple year window and try to bash the team and form conclusions. Reality doesn't work that way.

This team is right at the precipice. One more push and they can once again get to the top of the mountain.
    Excellent post!

BurghBoy412

Excellent post! There is a reason the Steelers are regarded as one of the premier franchises in ALL of professional sports. They have made an art of building through the draft. Identifying weaknesses. Signing FA's that fit the culture of not only the locker room but the city of Pittsburgh.

However great they may be there is an occasional blunder. This is human nature. That being said. The Mike Tomlin hire came outta left field 10 years ago. I thought " Who is this guy?" What are they doing?" Ten Years later and he has yet to finish under the 500 mark on a season.

This brings me to my conclusion. The Steelers don't just make moves to make moves! They are not swayed by market trends or the fad of the week. They have a calculated, methodical, and extremely wise approach to their operation. There's decades of evidence to support this.

There are a lot of excellent points made throughout this thread by everyone except Crash. I'm glad so many of you get it.