Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers re-sign TE David Johnson

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers re-sign TE David Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    There are a lot of excellent points made throughout this thread by everyone except Crash. I'm glad so many of you get it.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8406/markus-wheaton

I mean we could've just given Markus Wheaton $6 million dollars to be our 4th WR! What are those silly old Rooney's thinking!

Brandon Marshall was begging to come to Pittsburgh. I mean I'm sure he really wanted to commute to his New York media job every week from Pittsburgh. I'm also certain that he was super interested in being the 4th WR (AB, Bryant, Rodgers, Marshall) and red zone gimmick for like 1.5 million per year. No way his agent told him to talk up other teams...nope. He is totally crying in his beer tonight about his contract with the NYG.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

And giving $8 million to Terrelle Pryor? Real smart idea there

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8406/markus-wheaton

I mean we could've just given Markus Wheaton $6 million dollars to be our 4th WR! What are those silly old Rooney's thinking!

Brandon Marshall was begging to come to Pittsburgh. I mean I'm sure he really wanted to commute to his New York media job every week from Pittsburgh. I'm also certain that he was super interested in being the 4th WR (AB, Bryant, Rodgers, Marshall) and red zone gimmick for like 1.5 million per year. No way his agent told him to talk up other teams...nope. He is totally crying in his beer tonight about his contract with the NYG.

It's just the way the game is played anymore. Disinformation, slight of hand, and timing is just as important as performance in some cases.

The teams that have the willpower and patience to not overpay for free agents are in the best position to have a strong roster long term. Some teams decide to sign multiple high-priced free agents and hope for quick returns because the cap hits on those contracts really ramp up a few years in. Then the team is in serious cap trouble, and it forces them to release talent and to not sign their own quality players because they don't have the cap room.

The Steelers don't do things that way, and they tend to only give their own free agents big contracts. The reason for that is because free agency is a bigger crap shoot than the draft. Many times, it's harder to project how a current NFL player can fit into your teams schemes and concepts than it is with a young player coming out of college. I think most GM's would tell you that. If you sign your own players, you already know exactly how they perform in your system and schemes. It just makes more sense.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's just the way the game is played anymore. Disinformation, slight of hand, and timing is just as important as performance in some cases.

The teams that have the willpower and patience to not overpay for free agents are in the best position to have a strong roster long term. Some teams decide to sign multiple high-priced free agents and hope for quick returns because the cap hits on those contracts really ramp up a few years in. Then the team is in serious cap trouble, and it forces them to release talent and to not sign their own quality players because they don't have the cap room.

The Steelers don't do things that way, and they tend to only give their own free agents big contracts. The reason for that is because free agency is a bigger crap shoot than the draft. Many times, it's harder to project how a current NFL player can fit into your teams schemes and concepts than it is with a young player coming out of college. I think most GM's would tell you that. If you sign your own players, you already know exactly how they perform in your system and schemes. It just makes more sense.
    Correct. Then you get the guys who play for a contract and then get complacent after getting paid the big bucks (i.e. Albert Haynesworth)