Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pats

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Pats

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The free agent signing is Bryant staying clean for the 2017 season

The years the Pats were most vulnerable were 2015 and 2016 - sucks that now we have to hope Brady falls off the performance cliff like Peyton did as age gets him, but that is the breaks

Too bad to be playing in another team's era of dominance, but shit happens - ask the 70s Raiders and Oilers about how that works
    That seems to be about it and think the Steelers are banking the season on does he stay clean and healthy all season! Ps.only so much you can do in the draft. I hope Pitt does realize FA is legal and a part of the rules someday a long with trades!

Senior Member Array title="Terrapinstation is on a distinguished road">

Sorry, giving AB a new contract did nothing to improve the team this year. He was going to be here anyway.

NE, the superbowl champs that embarrassed us, just added a major impact player on offense, and a major impact player on defense. In prior years it was understandable why we weren't big players in the FA market (always up against the cap). This year we have cap space, even after taking care of guys we should (Tuitt, Shazier, etc).

But I guess it's an illegimate complaint to want them to add someone. My bad. lol

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

What makes you think that they are willing to pay a "nose under" under $10M? Seems more like a couple few/feet under $10M...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapinstation View Post
    Sorry, giving AB a new contract did nothing to improve the team this year. He was going to be here anyway.

NE, the superbowl champs that embarrassed us, just added a major impact player on offense, and a major impact player on defense. In prior years it was understandable why we weren't big players in the FA market (always up against the cap). This year we have cap space, even after taking care of guys we should (Tuitt, Shazier, etc).

But I guess it's an illegimate complaint to want them to add someone. My bad. lol
    Colbert & Tomlin's plan:
    Re-sign AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, Shazier...

Terrapinstation' plan:
    Let AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier go, and replace them with free agents: Brandon Marshall, Jamal Charles, Matt Kalil...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Pats are not THAT much better. IF, IF Bell had been able to play, AND Rogers, Hamilton, and Ayers could have caught the ball, we would have kept pace with them BETTER. Not saying we would have won, but our chance to win would have increased. They are a very good football team and not taking anything away from what they were able to do against us. We were not healthy for either game we played against them last season. And that's all you can really look at. Going back years is pointless. We were 'blitzburgh' when THEY built to beat us. Now we do the same. It's not like they are unbeatable and can't be caught. And eventually beaten.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Colbert & Tomlin's plan:

Terrapinstation' plan:
    Let AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier go, and replace them with free agents: Brandon Marshall, Jamal Charles, Matt Kalil...
    You forgot to add that signing Glennon for $15 million to replace Landry Jones is another missed opportunity to be proactive through free agency

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I see what your point is. I just disagree with it. You cannot just bring in players, like in basketball, and it works because they are good. When the Steelers were 'Blitzburg', the rest of the NFL had to adjust. That's all this is with the Pats now. They have a system that works, because it does change, that the rest of the NFL are trying to adjust with. It's not time to blow it up and add FAs just to sign FAs. Are there FAs i would like to try out here, sure. Make sure our core players are here first. Now we can see what FAs can work within our system. We won't know if the Pats upgraded or not until next season. Sometimes LeGarrett Blount happens. Remember 'LeBackfield'?

BurghBoy412

[QUOTE=quistors;584053]The pats just keep getting better and better with the addition of Stephon Gilmore I know the steelers are never big spenders but it's disappointing watching a superior team (one that will cause us to not make the super bowl again) get better while we sit on our hands, but I'm in not in the front office Colbert and Tonkin know better than all of us all i we can do is watch.

Being from Pittsburgh and growing up a Steeler fan you learn a few things.

1. Its rare for the Steelers to make a splash in Free Agency.
    2. This Franchise is built through the draft not through Free Agency.

In a lot of ways it's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. We think we know whats going on inside. We have lots of ideas. Yet none of us have a golden ticket. The gates stay locked and we're stuck on the outside speculating. Then all the sudden they astonish the public with the release of a new product. (player you know very little about who can flat out play) Which brings me to my third and probably most important thing you learn growing up in Pittsburgh.

3. THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS ARE ONE OF THE BEST RUN ORGANIZATIONS IN ALL OFF PROFESSIONAL SPORTS!!! They may make a mistake here and there. However the track record speaks for itself. The right move is made the majority of the time.

Colbert & Tomlin's plan:

Terrapinstation' plan:
    Terrapins plan:
    Sign our important players. Bring in an impact LB, CB, or WR to improve the weaknesses of our team.

Tegrees plan:
    Sign our important players. Roll with Vince Williams and Willie Gay. Pray Bryant stays clean and Golson makes his way onto the field.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Terrapins plan:
    Sign our important players. Bring in an impact LB, CB, or WR to improve the weaknesses of our team.

Tegrees plan:
    Sign our important players. Roll with Vince Williams and Willie Gay. Pray Bryant stays clean and Golson makes his way onto the field.
    Actually, yes.

Add to that:
    Draft an OLB, an ILB, a CB, and a WR... who will develop nicely, and get re-signed in four years.

Actually, yes.

Add to that:
    Draft an OLB, an ILB, a CB, and a WR... who will develop nicely, and get re-signed in four years.
    Good plan. I'm sure they'll hit on all the picks, and they'll become solid contributors in a year or two (just in time for Ben to retire)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers can improve in 2017 just any of the following happening
    -Martavis Bryant plays a full year
    -Cam Heyward who missed the majority of last year plays a full year
    -Bud Dupree who missed 10 games plays a full year and continues to improve
    -Artie Burns, Sean Davis, OR Javon Hargrave, a year older and with a year of experience under their belt improve

Now there's no guarantee this stuff happens and we could easily lose another important player for a period of time too, but guess what, there is no guarantee that the free agent the Steelers sign will be worth anything either. Draft, free agency, young player improvements, none of it's guaranteed, except free agency is more expensive

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Terrapins plan:

Tegrees plan:
    One plan is actually based on financial reality. Another plan is based on Madden Franchise mode fantasies.

Who do you cut to get the 10 million per year for the next five years that these first tier FA's have ALL signed for? Seriously tell me who from this list you would "trade" on the salary cap for Dre Kirkpatrick?

AV
    Another member of the starting OL
    Tuitt
    Shazier
    Heyward
    Bell

Until you can answer that question you are demonstrating that you do not know that the Steelers really don't have more than 5-8 million in cap room.

As for the Pats. Allen and Bennett cancel each other out. Gilmore is an upgrade over Ryan on the boundary and they get a serious downgrade at the slot CB position. So slight advantage?

Kony Ealy (sp?) had one good game in the SB and then has proceeded to not deliver on his promise. He can join a long list of Pats acquisitions who fit that profile. Lots of potential but no performance to date. I think about 50% of the time they get something out of the player and 50% of the time they don't. Remember how Easley (the DT) was going to be a "steal" and super good? That didn't happen. Don't just listen to the Twitter "hot takes". Think about it for yourself.

Cooks is the the first actual upgrade to the roster. The only reason they basically had to make that trade is that they can not evaluate and draft WRs. Almost every WR they draft stinks and gets cut. So they paid a 1st round pick to get a guy that the Steelers would just identify and draft in the 3rd. Again, why am I concerned?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good plan. I'm sure they'll hit on all the picks, and they'll become solid contributors in a year or two (just in time for Ben to retire)
    Again, your plan - lets call it the sign everyone plan - makese ZERO provision about how to actually pay all those folks.

Remember - I think the Steelers started with some salary cap #'s being reported at between 20-31 million. That number is basically pure BS. Read this article: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03...t-free-agency/

The real # is about 12 million. That is it. That 12 million needs to sign FAs, extend AV, extend Tuitt, and extend Shazier.

So maybe paying highly inflated Week 1 free agency #'s isn't the best idea? But I'm guessing you and others making the same argument read no information on your own and just decided you had to come on the internet and "have a take".

Good Job.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The Steelers can improve in 2017 just any of the following happening
    -Martavis Bryant plays a full year
    -Cam Heyward who missed the majority of last year plays a full year
    -Bud Dupree who missed 10 games plays a full year and continues to improve
    -Artie Burns, Sean Davis, OR Javon Hargrave, a year older and with a year of experience under their belt improve

Now there's no guarantee this stuff happens and we could easily lose another important player for a period of time too, but guess what, there is no guarantee that the free agent the Steelers sign will be worth anything either. Draft, free agency, young player improvements, none of it's guaranteed, except free agency is more expensive
    Don't forget about Brown and Bell being on the field when it matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    they can not evaluate and draft WRs.
    You're nailing it today. I've been saying the exact same thing: that is Belichick's weakness. He's a genius at almost everything except for the draft, specifically WRs. He procures a bazillion draft picks... and only 1 in 10 amounts to much.

Conversely, Belichick is excellent at evaluating free agents. Were I him, every off season, I'd trade my R1 pick for the top "third-year" player (who I'd then re-sign).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    You're nailing it today. I've been saying the exact same thing: that is Belichick's weakness. He's a genius at almost everything except for the draft, specifically WRs. He procures a bazillion draft picks... and only 1 in 10 amounts to much.

Conversely, Belichick is excellent at evaluating free agents. Were I him, every off season, I'd trade my R1 pick for the top "third-year" player (who I'd then re-sign).
    No doubt. Actually the Patriots draft record overall really isn't that impressive - http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../nwe/draft.htm. That gets a Mr. Yuck sticker every time.

Like you said, if they weren't so good at veteran free agents, this would bit them in the ass more than it does.