Thread: Drafting to Beat New England

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Drafting to Beat New England

If you were told to choose your draft selections with the sole goal of beating New England NOW,

would you draft any differently than you would otherwise?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

BurghBoy412

Re: Drafting to Beat New England

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If you were told to choose your draft selections with the sole goal of beating New England NOW,

would you draft any different than you would otherwise?
    They're considered the gold standard right now. Taking that into account. I would think the logical approach would be if you beat them you beat the other "inferior" teams. Right?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    They're considered the gold standard right now. Taking that into account. I would think the logical approach would be if you beat them you beat the other "inferior" teams. Right?

Yes. That is my first instinct as well. It shouldn't matter, right?

So I am wondering if this new directive might even just cause a subtle change in strategy.

For instance, might someone consider double dipping on edge rushers now whereas they otherwise might not have?

BurghBoy412

Yes. That seems logical. So I am curious if anyone feels that it would change anything vis a vis their current ideas.

For instance, would you consider double dipping on edge rushers whereas you otherwise might not?
    I don't know if the edge would really help as much. The teams that have the most success against NE cover well and apply pressure up the middle. Not edge pressure as much.

I don't know if the edge would really help as much. The teams that have the most success against NE cover well and apply pressure up the middle. Not edge pressure as much.

That's a great point. In fact didn't we employ man coverage when we beat them 6 or 7 years ago?

However can newly drafted secondary players work in man coverage NOW (this year)?

BurghBoy412

The window is closing. I'd take younger faster players over the same old slow guys. Gotta do something different. Because right now Tom Brady owns the Black and Gold my friend.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Well... they just picked up a quality TE and a quality CB... We are thinking about re-signing our backup QB...

Like I recently heard, the Pats play chess and the rest of the NFL plays checkers :-/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

And there is talk that the Pats may trade Butler for Brandin Cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

No. We play them maybe once every season or 3. Why build to beat them? Build to make the playoffs.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Well... they just picked up a quality TE and a quality CB... We are thinking about re-signing our backup QB...

Like I recently heard, the Pats play chess and the rest of the NFL plays checkers :-/
    Whatever. Seems to me we also just re-signed the best WR in the league...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And franchised the best RB in the league and are working to lock him up long term as well

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    And franchised the best RB in the league and are working to lock him up long term as well
    But does that make the Steelers better or keep them status quo?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    But does that make the Steelers better or keep them status quo?
    It helps the team to keep all their top players by maintaining team chemistry which is an important to winning itself

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It helps the team to keep all their top players by maintaining team chemistry which is an important to winning itself
    You can have all the chemistry in the world but it may not help you get better. Look at the 2005 Eagles. They made it to the Super Bowl but had probably some of the worst chemistry out there.

I'm not saying you are in the wrong but signing all the same players back may not necessarily be an improvement...you'd still be missing the same pieces you were missing last year.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You can have all the chemistry in the world but it may not help you get better. Look at the 2005 Eagles. They made it to the Super Bowl but had probably some of the worst chemistry out there.

I'm not saying you are in the wrong but signing all the same players back may not necessarily be an improvement...you'd still be missing the same pieces you were missing last year.
    I agree. We need to do something to IMPROVE. We weren't good enough this year and the Patriots, along with a lot of other teams, are making moves to improve. We need to do the same. We can't just rely on the draft.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

The Steelers will likely do what they usually do in free agency, wait and sign a few lower key guys, at the right price, to contribute. It's the same strategy they have used for a while now, a strategy they used while winning 2 Super Bowls.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

It's going to take more than drafting to consistently beat them. Old Bill has a system and the coaches & players ALL buy into it, its almost cult like, but they win and do it with no name players year after year. I mean their best receiver is a R7 draft pick!

Drafting to Beat New England

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    It's going to take more than drafting to consistently beat them. Old Bill has a system and the coaches & players ALL buy into it, its almost cult like, but they win and do it with no name players year after year. I mean their best receiver is a R7 draft pick!
    Exactly. They find players to buy into their system and if they don't, no matter how good or bad,they let them walk or give them a push.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And seemingly a bargain based on the clowns who are getting $10-14M.

That said, he was already under contract.

My point was: the Pats destroyed us in the AFCC and have since become markedly more talented. Just stating a fact.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    And seemingly a bargain based on the clowns who are getting $10-14M.

That said, he was already under contract.

My point was: the Pats destroyed us in the AFCC and have since become markedly more talented. Just stating a fact.
    That has yet to be determined as fact. I see it as breaking even with what they've lost. I don't think they got worse in FA, but not markedly better. Guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That has yet to be determined as fact. I see it as breaking even with what they've lost. I don't think they got worse in FA, but not markedly better. Guess time will tell.
    Well I carefully worded it so as NOT to say that they were BETTER... just more talented. The proof is on the field.

BurghBoy412

I've just accepted the fact that we'll probably never beat New England in a meaningful game.

I've just accepted the fact that we'll probably never beat New England in a meaningful game.
    I believe we can not only beat New England but also win at least 1 super bowl in the next 2 years.

Here's why.

1. We have arguably the most talented offense in the NFL.
    2. We had a good defensive draft last year and our young defense should only be bettter next year.
    3. This years draft is again loaded at our biggest positions of need on defense.

Keeping with the draft thread, maybe it is best to load Ben up with a top shelf TE in the first round.

This could be the final piece which will give Ben the most explosive offense he has ever had and allow him to put up the numbers needed to keep up with Brady.

Then draft defense....maybe one or two can contribute by the end of this year and next while Ben's window is still open.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Yes. That is my first instinct as well. It shouldn't matter, right?

So I am wondering if this new directive might even just cause a subtle change in strategy.

For instance, might someone consider double dipping on edge rushers now whereas they otherwise might not have?
    pressure is a must , but pressure alone is not enough still have to cover without big cushions ... otherwise Mannings colts would have beat them more often as they got pressure but the coverage lacked ...

key to beating them is pressure with bump and run or at least man coverage ....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Never never never never never draft to beat a specific team. That is being reactive rather than proactive.

Ask the Ravens, Bengals, and Browns how attempting to construct a team with one opponents roster in mind works out.

You should draft based on trends, etc. Draft to defend TEs and slot WRs - the whole league is going that way. Draft to defend RBs in the passing game with smaller quicker LBs - that is a league wide trend. Most NFL teams have figured out that if you want to compete for a SB, you have to lock down both OT spots. No more lumbering road graders at RT that can't really pass protect. As a result, every team is more susceptible to pressure up the middle than off the edge. Or at least the ones that aren't garbage.

The fact that these would work well against the Pats is just a nice by-product.

If you are referring to the Ravens drafting just to beat the Steelers and you think that's how they handle their draft, if you ask them, I think they'd say it's worked out pretty darn good winning 6 of the last 8...lol.

Looking at how it stands today, the Patriots don't have a pick until the 3rd round. Some of you are good at how trades work. If we traded our pick at 30, can we get their 2018 1st, plus their 2 3rd rounders this draft? We would have 62, 72, 94, and 96. Plus our rounds 4-7, and pick up a 2nd 1st rounder for next year's draft. All we give up is 30. Would that work out?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looking at how it stands today, the Patriots don't have a pick until the 3rd round. Some of you are good at how trades work. If we traded our pick at 30, can we get their 2018 1st, plus their 2 3rd rounders this draft? We would have 62, 72, 94, and 96. Plus our rounds 4-7, and pick up a 2nd 1st rounder for next year's draft. All we give up is 30. Would that work out?

pick 30 is not worth a 2018 1st and anything extra unless its coming from a team that is also destined to pick late every year

but we could trade back a few spots get an extra 3rd this year .....

say to 32 with N.O.

could then try and mover back 3-4 more spots and get another 3rd and perhaps STILL get the guy we would have taken at 30

now that would be interesting because there is a lot of talent to be had in rd 3 in this draft