Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***

They need someone with a MOTOR (check), ATHLETICISM (check), SWAGGER (check) and UPSIDE (check). I have a strong feeling that Watt is gonna be a beast. I hope they take him at 30.

6'4" 252#
    11" hands
    4.69 40
    37" vertical

PRODUCTION in a short window with room to improve.

I put this thread here either as a "I called it" (if the Steelers take him) or an "I told you so" (if he becomes a star for someone else).

I get tired of this 1st round grade, 2nd round grade crap based on some analyst or draft magazine from Walmart. Either he's gonna be a star or he is not. I think he has the X factor.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: ***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said Watt possesses the traits coveted by teams with 3-4 defenses such as the Steelers. Mayock, though, initially was skeptical. That was before he popped in Watt's game tape.

“His tape is really good,” Mayock said. “When you put the tape in, you're like, ‘C'mon, (he's J.J.'s) little brother. He can't be that good.'

“Then he starts lining up and running around, and he's got the same effort his older brother has, and he's a freakier athlete than I expected. I think the 3-4 teams are really going to like him. Athletically, he can drop, he's a better pass-rusher than I thought, and he's relentless in the run game.”

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Clay Matthews syndrome?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

He's going to be a really good one. He's definitely one of the safest edge rusher picks for us out of any of the early round guys. The one year as a starter doesnt worry me. He plays with great polish already. Plug and play.

In b4 another idiot claims JJ Watt makes his existence overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

A great option at 30. I'd be on board with it

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I would not be surprised if a team in the top 15 takes Watt...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Yes. Watt is on the list of 'possibles' at 30. Along with about 30 others, if there. We need an edge rusher and Watt would be a great one. I think we could all get excited about that.

TJ's pro day was today. Looking forward to reports coming out of the session.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It would be hard to be upset with drafting Watt at #30.

The guy is just a great football player. There's nothing not to like about his game and his effort.

He has a very high floor and a high ceiling. Not much risk in that pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It would be hard to be upset with drafting Watt at #30.

The guy is just a great football player. There's nothing not to like about his game and his effort.

He has a very high floor and a high ceiling. Not much risk in that pick.
    I'm in 100% agreement with you. I think before it's all over, he will be gone by #30 though. There's just too much to like about his game.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I don't know that I'm totally sold on him. One year of production. Injuries to both knees. Not a great athlete. Being compared to Paul Kruger.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I dont like that he's picking up so much steam. I want him to at least be there at #30 for us to think about. Id hate for us to take some flawed edge rusher with a really incomplete game like Takk
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

about 50 other guys would have to be off the board before I would be ready to pick him , sure he has talent I wont claim he doesn't , but he would be IMO no place near BPA at 30 and we have more than 1 need so finding a better player at a pos of need shouldnt be to terribly difficult at 30 .... in round 2 sure if he is there and McKinley isnt already a Steeler ...

my wishlist is short

1) EDGE Takkarist McKinley
    2) CB Cordrea Tankersley
    3) S Justin Evans
    3) CB Howard Wilson
    4) RB Jeremy McNichols / Wayne Gallman
    5) EDGE Calvin Munson
    6) LB Steven Taylor
    7) TE Michael Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    about 50 other guys would have to be off the board before I would be ready to pick him
    I'm glad you aren't the GM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I dont like that he's picking up so much steam. I want him to at least be there at #30 for us to think about. Id hate for us to take some flawed edge rusher with a really incomplete game like Takk
    Exactly!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm glad you aren't the GM.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly!
    quite frankly I am glad you aren't either

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I'd take him R1, no question about it.

quite frankly I am glad you aren't either
    Well if I was we would've taken Tyler Eifert instead of Jarvis 4.9 Jones! And this thread will prove my evaluation skills one way or the other within a couple years.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

about 50 other guys would have to be off the board before I would be ready to pick him , sure he has talent I wont claim he doesn't , but he would be IMO no place near BPA at 30 and we have more than 1 need so finding a better player at a pos of need shouldnt be to terribly difficult at 30 .... in round 2 sure if he is there and McKinley isnt already a Steeler ...

my wishlist is short

2) CB Cordrea Tankersley
    3) S Justin Evans
    3) CB Howard Wilson
    4) RB Jeremy McNichols / Wayne Gallman
    5) EDGE Calvin Munson
    6) LB Steven Taylor
    7) TE Michael Roberts
    No.No.No......this is the official draft TJ Watt thread, the don't draft TJ Watt thread was closed due to lack of interest.

Well if I was we would've taken Tyler Eifert instead of Jarvis 4.9 Jones! And this thread will prove my evaluation skills one way or the other within a couple years.

I have time ....

again not saying the guy does not have talent he just is not a top 30 talent in this draft IMO and quite frankly my opinion is the only one that truly matters to me ( I am sure you feel quite differently and that is fine )

hindsight its easy to say your would have taken this guy or that guy but as nice is it would be to have Eifert now at the time it would have been a shitty pick too ... we NEEDED a pass rusher and we had #83 that being said people would have considered Eifert a Luxury pick and quite frankly we where in no position for a 1st round luxury selection ... so Unless Eifert could rush the QB better than Jones he wouldn't have fared to well here either sitting on the bench behind Heath Miller 70% or more of the snaps

My eval skills are just fine and have been for many years ...I will wait and see how yours are

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

my wishlist is short

Takk is in the Bud Dupree mold, very raw.

Has a non stop motor, but has dealt with a shoulder injury for 2 years, I'd love to see how he would play with it being healed (has had surgery, but is expected to be back for mini camp)

The team will have all the info they need with that guy. Tom Bradley, UCLA's defensive coordinator has ties with the Steelers. From PA, was a long time assistant for Penn State, did some radio work covering the Steelers. His brother Jim, is the Steelers long time team surgeon. If he there at #30, I believe he is the guy.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Some team will pick him on name recognition alone to sell tickets.
    All Defense!

I have time ....

again not saying the guy does not have talent he just is not a top 30 talent in this draft IMO and quite frankly my opinion is the only one that truly matters to me ( I am sure you feel quite differently and that is fine )

hindsight its easy to say your would have taken this guy or that guy but as nice is it would be to have Eifert now at the time it would have been a shitty pick too ... we NEEDED a pass rusher and we had #83 that being said people would have considered Eifert a Luxury pick and quite frankly we where in no position for a 1st round luxury selection ... so Unless Eifert could rush the QB better than Jones he wouldn't have fared to well here either sitting on the bench behind Heath Miller 70% or more of the snaps

My eval skills are just fine and have been for many years ...I will wait and see how yours are
    Well my comment isn't hindsight. I posted as much on Steelersfever both before and immediately after that draft.

Eifert may have been a luxury but Jones sure wasn't lol. Anyway Heath was practically done by then and most of us knew it.

Anyway Heath was practically done by then and most of us knew it.

I call BS , most including the organization did not expect his retirement when it came , most though he would play another year or 2 putting him 5 years down the road from Eiferts draft year ...

on top of all that 2012 Miller had his best statistical year as a pro so believing he was pretty much done at that point would have taken a crystal ball ( considering Eiferts draft year was 2013 just a few months after Millers best statistical year ended ) http://www.nfl.com/player/heathmille...69/careerstats

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The most exciting thing about Watt is that he has hardly scratched the surface of his potential. His hand usage and pass rush skill set is good, but he has basically played ONE year EVER at the position. Like his brother, he came up as a TE.

Imagine what he can do with more reps and NFL coaching?

I call BS , most including the organization did not expect his retirement when it came , most though he would play another year or 2 putting him 5 years down the road from Eiferts draft year ...

on top of all that 2012 Miller had his best statistical year as a pro so believing he was pretty much done at that point would have taken a crystal ball ( considering Eiferts draft year was 2013 just a few months after Millers best statistical year ended ) http://www.nfl.com/player/heathmille...69/careerstats
    You seriously couldn't tell that Heath was slowing down by 2013??? Did you expect him to play till he was 40?

Regardless of Heath, Eifert would have been a much better pick than Jones. Or do you disagree with that too. And in case you're not paying attention, teams use 2 TEs, especially when one can stretch the field like Eifert.

You seriously couldn't tell that Heath was slowing down by 2013??? Did you expect him to play till he was 40?

Regardless of Heath, Eifert would have been a much better pick than Jones. Or do you disagree with that too. And in case you're not paying attention, teams use 2 TEs, especially when one can stretch the field like Eifert.

again Eifert would have been a luxury pick when we needed a pass rusher ... we took our best shot with Jones it failed but Eifert was not the answer either and FYI noticing in 2013 a slower heath would have been AFTER the fact as the draft of 2013 came before the 2013 season ...

yep teams use 2 TEs have been for years .... however when the Steelers do 1 is always an almost pure blocker ( such as Spaeth / Johnson ) and offer little to nothing in the passing game ... again nobody without a crystal ball would have foreseen Miller slowing down after the season he had in 2012 ..

not going to argue this with you and betting if the Steelers had it to do over they wouldnt have taken Jones but they sure as hell would not have taken Eifert to sit the bench for 3 years either

Good. We ageee to disagree. We shall see RE Watt vs your guy Takk. Then we'll have something to argue about

And btw, I didn't need a crystal ball to see that Jones was a sack of crap.
    Last edited by DesertSteel; 03-15-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The most exciting thing about Watt is that he has hardly scratched the surface of his potential. His hand usage and pass rush skill set is good, but he has basically played ONE year EVER at the position. Like his brother, he came up as a TE.

Imagine what he can do with more reps and NFL coaching?
    Agreed!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed!
    Looking at the Watt highlight videos again - two things strike me:

1. Watt never stays "engaged" by the OL. What I mean (and I don't know the term for it) is that the OL will get his hands on Watt and then he just doesn't have his hands on him anymore. Watt is constantly moving not being moved. That part of his play does remind me of his older brother.

2. Watch how often #47 shows up at the ball or QB a beat after #42. 47 is Vince Biegel. Not NFL ready body and lacks Watt's raw athleticism but he seems to consistently find his way into the backfield. IF the Steelers want to double dip at LB might be a later round player to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Looking at the Watt highlight videos again - two things strike me:

1. Watt never stays "engaged" by the OL. What I mean (and I don't know the term for it) is that the OL will get his hands on Watt and then he just doesn't have his hands on him anymore. Watt is constantly moving not being moved. That part of his play does remind me of his older brother.

2. Watch how often #47 shows up at the ball or QB a beat after #42. 47 is Vince Biegel. Not NFL ready body and lacks Watt's raw athleticism but he seems to consistently find his way into the backfield. IF the Steelers want to double dip at LB might be a later round player to consider.
    shed is the word I believe you where looking for