Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: ***The OFFICIAL Draft TJ Watt thread***

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Looking at the Watt highlight videos again - two things strike me:

1. Watt never stays "engaged" by the OL. What I mean (and I don't know the term for it) is that the OL will get his hands on Watt and then he just doesn't have his hands on him anymore. Watt is constantly moving not being moved. That part of his play does remind me of his older brother.

2. Watch how often #47 shows up at the ball or QB a beat after #42. 47 is Vince Biegel. Not NFL ready body and lacks Watt's raw athleticism but he seems to consistently find his way into the backfield. IF the Steelers want to double dip at LB might be a later round player to consider.

Bingo, well said on both points! I think Watts energy would be contagious, like Lambert was. The defense needs good players, but it also needs a high energy level. Sometimes it only takes one guy to start it.

The guy is a natural imo.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Looking at the Watt highlight videos again - two things strike me:

1. Watt never stays "engaged" by the OL. What I mean (and I don't know the term for it) is that the OL will get his hands on Watt and then he just doesn't have his hands on him anymore. Watt is constantly moving not being moved. That part of his play does remind me of his older brother.

2. Watch how often #47 shows up at the ball or QB a beat after #42. 47 is Vince Biegel. Not NFL ready body and lacks Watt's raw athleticism but he seems to consistently find his way into the backfield. IF the Steelers want to double dip at LB might be a later round player to consider.
    I believe that Tomlin and Colbert had dinner with BOTH of them tonight.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

doesn't the term " multiple knee injuries / surgeries " concern anyone ? ( both knees by the way )

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Great! The Badger homer is coming out in me, but I can honestly see legitimate reasons for the Steelers to have interest in Watt, Biegel, Cichy, Shelton, and Clement from UW. By no means do I think they need to draft that many UW kids (the team certainly isn't that good) but one or two of them could really be decent fits.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I read that as well

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    doesn't the term " multiple knee injuries / surgeries " concern anyone ? ( both knees by the way )
    Not really, remember J Jones back. I'm sure the Doc's will check him out.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not really. Once he came back from them, he really never broke down again. It is 2017, they can basically totally reconstruct a knee and make it better than before.

Obviously, they have to do their due diligence with the medicals, but everything out of Madison the last 18 months has led me to believe that TJ is as healthy as any other prospect. UW does a pretty decent job of not burning their guys up. Usually very protective of injured players and allow the rehab process to play out fully. Not like those 'Bama kids that come into the league all used up.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2017profiles/TJ.Watt.htm

That profile has pretty much summed it up for me regarding Watt since the middle of the last college football season.

Watt is never going to measure as well as the others. He isn't going to make the other team wet themselves getting off the bus all rocked up. But then the whistle is going to blow, and everyone is going to wonder how that dude can't be blocked.

Of course, he is going to rocked in coverages and misdirections/screens at the NFL level at first due to his low level of experience at the position, but that'll sort itself out.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ten years ago: yes

With modern medicine: no

Seriously. Repairing a knee injury nowadays is about as routine as getting a filling.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Takkarist probably has the highest bust potential by far of the edge rushers with a consensus 1st round/borderline 1st round grade. I have no idea how you put him on your short wishlist, while simultaneously being very skeptical of TJ Watt. TJ Watt's floor is so much higher than Takk's and as Mojouw was saying, his ceiling is still extremely high.

Most players with a high ceiling are great athletes with very little polish. TJ Watt is a rarity in that regard because he's already a great athlete, both on film and in his combine testing (Among all linebackers he was 1st in the 20 yard shuttle, 1st in the 60 yard shuttle, 2nd in the vertical jump, 2nd in the broad jump, 2nd in the 3 cone drill, and still put out pretty good bench/40 yard dash numbers), and plays with great all-around technique.

Great size and length,

Basically if the best knock scouts can come up with is injuries from 2-3 years ago, im ok with that. The film and testing numbers show no ill effects. He had questions about athleticism that he effectively smothered a few weeks ago. Arguably has the best hand fighting skills (he doesnt get run up the arc like Dupree does because of this) and motor of any edge rusher in the draft. A lot more cerebral than a lot of the guys teams will be grading higher. His stack and shed ability is also better than almost anyone in the draft (Maybe this is the phrase you're looking for Mojouw?) Never misses tackles, constantly peeking into the backfield to locate the ball carrier, looks natural shuffling laterally/clicking and closing in pass coverage. He's good on special teams, has experience rushing from the interior, and he can rush well from both sides so his path to playing time is excellent. Another one of his most underrated skills that the really good ones in the NFL get good at: he transitions seamlessly between rushing the passer to disengaging to chase the dump off/set the edge.

Saw some scouting reports that suggested he needs more pass rush moves but on film you can see that he already has 2 that he uses perfectly, the rip and dip and swim. He uses them effectively as counters as well, which is again, impressive for a guy with his limited experience. His bull rush is pretty decent, and he's only going to get better at it with his football IQ. 1 decent pass rush move, and 2 really good ones is plenty to go on in the NFL
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

No more than the shoulder surgery on Takk. Other than Takk's is a CURRENT injury issue and Watt passed all his physicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Takkarist probably has the highest bust potential by far of the edge rushers with a consensus 1st round/borderline 1st round grade. I have no idea how you put him on your short wishlist, while simultaneously being very skeptical of TJ Watt. TJ Watt's floor is so much higher than Takk's and as Mojouw was saying, his ceiling is still extremely high.

Most players with a high ceiling are great athletes with very little polish. TJ Watt is a rarity in that regard because he's already a great athlete, both on film and in his combine testing (Among all linebackers he was 1st in the 20 yard shuttle, 1st in the 60 yard shuttle, 2nd in the vertical jump, 2nd in the broad jump, 2nd in the 3 cone drill, and still put out pretty good bench/40 yard dash numbers), and plays with great all-around technique.

Great size and length,

Basically if the best knock scouts can come up with is injuries from 2-3 years ago, im ok with that. The film and testing numbers show no ill effects. He had questions about athleticism that he effectively smothered a few weeks ago. Arguably has the best hand fighting skills (he doesnt get run up the arc like Dupree does because of this) and motor of any edge rusher in the draft. A lot more cerebral than a lot of the guys teams will be grading higher. His stack and shed ability is also better than almost anyone in the draft (Maybe this is the phrase you're looking for Mojouw?) Never misses tackles, constantly peeking into the backfield to locate the ball carrier, looks natural shuffling laterally/clicking and closing in pass coverage. He's good on special teams, has experience rushing from the interior, and he can rush well from both sides so his path to playing time is excellent. Another one of his most underrated skills that the really good ones in the NFL get good at: he transitions seamlessly between rushing the passer to disengaging to chase the dump off/set the edge.

Saw some scouting reports that suggested he needs more pass rush moves but on film you can see that he already has 2 that he uses perfectly, the rip and dip and swim. He uses them effectively as counters as well, which is again, impressive for a guy with his limited experience. His bull rush is pretty decent, and he's only going to get better at it with his football IQ. 1 decent pass rush move, and 2 really good ones is plenty to go on in the NFL
    funny how differently you see Takk than I do or these guys do for that matter ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2160964/takkarist-mckinley

- - - Updated - - -

funny how differently you see Takk than I do or these guys do for that matter ...

not sure why I could not place 2 links above but anywho .....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ley?id=2557872

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

not sure why I could not place 2 links above but anywho .....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ley?id=2557872
    ^Those scouting reports reiterate reasons why he has some of the highest bust potential of the top edge rushing prospects. That doesnt mean his ceiling isnt high. Tim Williams' ceiling is high. Taco Charlton's ceiling is high. Theyre still risky prospects. Even if you took Williams' off field issues out of the equation
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Great! The Badger homer is coming out in me, but I can honestly see legitimate reasons for the Steelers to have interest in Watt, Biegel, Cichy, Shelton, and Clement from UW. By no means do I think they need to draft that many UW kids (the team certainly isn't that good) but one or two of them could really be decent fits.

Anybody that watched that defense play this year would completely understand the interest in all the players you mention.

I saw them play a bunch of times, and they play relentless defense. The only time I saw them be broken down was against my Nittany Lions.

Individually, they all have a toughness and play a very instinctive game. Collectively, they showed what a defense can be when there are plenty of guys that collectively buy into a system, they are well coached, and they have the attitude and football acumen to play fast and ferocious.

They were fun to watch.

Clement plays a tough game. His speed might hurt him a bit in the draft, and his fumbling issues aren't going to help either. Maybe it's something mechanical that can be cleaned up at the next level. I haven't really studied him to see if that's the problem.

Articles this morning are saying that the Steelers like Watt, but not in the 1st round and view him as more of a second round prospect but don't think he will be there when they pick in the 2nd.

1. That might just all be smokescreen BS and doesn't matter.
    2. Assume it does for a second. These kind of statements by teams, GMs, talking heads, and fans drive me batty. Don't overthink the draft process. Do you need a pass rusher? Does the player fit your system? Is the player your highest rated prospect at the position still available? Will he be drafted before you pick again? If the answer to all those questions is "Yes" then just draft the dude and move on.

I don't know why NFL teams insist on slavishly sticking to these draft round grades like they are the revealed word of truth. Maybe internal NFL scouting reports are better than the write ups we can see on the internet, but they are all goofy anyways. Something like 2-3 times the guys that can go in a given round get that round grade.

If the Steelers go pass rusher in the first round, I think their available choices will be McKinnley, Watt, and Lawson. Me, I go Watt about 18 seconds into my pick time and sleep very well at night.

If the Steelers pass on Watt in R1 they will regret it imo.

Takk lives in the oppositions backfield disrupting , his edge speed and first step is unequaled , almost all his question marks you see in profiles are based on him playing end not OLB in a 3-4 ...

watch him match up vs the projected 1st over all pick here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjsjPdzQi8

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Takk is a good edge rush prospect also. This is the TJ Watt thread. In fact, it's the "OFFICIAL" TJ Watt thread. Start the Takk McKinley thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Takk is a good edge rush prospect also. This is the TJ Watt thread. In fact, it's the "OFFICIAL" TJ Watt thread. Start the Takk McKinley thread.

technically if it is to be about just 1 player and since that player is not a Steeler player it should be in a subforum then such as the draft forum .

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

technically if it is to be about just 1 player and since that player is not a Steeler player it should be in a subforum then such as the draft forum .
    Technically, just read the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Technically, just read the thread title.

why not read the 27 subforum definitions before you get shitty with me ?

seems the subforums where put in place for more than just decorations and if a draft topic comes up in the wrong forum how is that not a bigger violation of standards than talking about another draft prospect in a preexisting thread ?

great idea you have your opinions and I will have mine , pretty basic concept

why not read the 27 subforum definitions before you get shitty with me ?

seems the subforums where put in place for more than just decorations and if a draft topic comes up in the wrong forum how is that not a bigger violation of standards than talking about another draft prospect in a preexisting thread ?

great idea you have your opinions and I will have mine , pretty basic concept
    I'm not the one getting shitty.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The Steelers corner the market when it comes to drafting rough diamond WRs. They do fine with ILB too, but their OLB and CB players could be released and most never missed. They should sub it out and let a different set of experts find those draft prospects. What they are doing currently is not working.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

If Watt is there, take him.

Let James Harrison raise him like one of his children.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The Steelers corner the market when it comes to drafting rough diamond WRs. They do fine with ILB too, but their OLB and CB players could be released and most never missed. They should sub it out and let a different set of experts find those draft prospects. What they are doing currently is not working.
    I agree with the CBs, but not so much on the OLBs. To me J Jones has been the only real wiff in a while. Woodley and Harrison, were scary for several years. Porter was a mouth, but a stud, and I think Dupree will be a bad ass as well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Watt vs. McKinley
    chocolate vs. vanilla
    Ginger vs. Mary Ann
    nachos vs. hot wings
    The Caymans vs. Hawaii
    et cetera vs. yadda-yadda-yadda

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Watt vs. McKinley
    chocolate vs. vanilla
    Ginger vs. Mary Ann
    nachos vs. hot wings
    The Caymans vs. Hawaii
    Seriously!? It's Hot Wings with Ginger in Maui, et cetera...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Watt vs. McKinley
    chocolate vs. vanilla
    Ginger vs. Mary Ann
    nachos vs. hot wings
    The Caymans vs. Hawaii
    I wanted Watt but everything you put on the right side I enjoy so much more out of life. Guess I got to go with Mckinley lol.

It's going to be good seeing Watt in Pittsburgh holding that Steeler jersey with the #1 on it! Thanks for the link DS

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I wanted Watt but everything you put on the right side I enjoy so much more out of life. Guess I got to go with Mckinley lol.
    Noted.

In the future, if I ever need to sway you, I'll bust out the vanilla ice cream, hot wings, and brunettes.