Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casserly 2017 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Michigan LB/S Jabrill Peppers 30th Overall

BurghBoy412

Re: Casserly 2017 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Michigan LB/S Jabrill Peppers 30th Overall

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    I've seen quite a few Michigan games and Peppers is a great athlete. He was very selfless playing LB because the team needed him to last year. However, I don't think he's got the coverage skills to play S and he's not big enough to play LB in the NFL.

He doesn't go with the Steelers current defensive drafting of LB/DB of guys who can take the ball away. One interception in college. I think he will be a damn good return man, maybe Devin Hester-ish even. On the defensive side of ST he will likely also be a beast. But as for a defensive player period, even with his athleticism I think he will probably be average.

And as of right now, we don't have a safety NEED. Mitchell is under contract the next two seasons (and I think he's begged than he's being given credit for) and Sean Davis - we have starters at the position for the next couple of years at least.

I think our biggest need is edge rusher. Harrison lead the team with 5 sacks last season. Hopefully we will have Bud Dupree all next season and he will do big things. However, I think if we get a guy who can edge rush from the other side too (and then save Harrison for big pass rush downs where maybe we have him with Dupree and this other unknown guy), we can see a potentially good ballhawking secondary take advantage of the pass rush.

If Peppers is there in the second round, or if he falls a bit and they can trade up for him, I'd be okay with that. But the 30th overall pick? Not for a player that you're possibly not 100% sure where he's even going to play on defense.
    He could play the slot. No doubt in my mind.

BurghBoy412

Re: Casserly 2017 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Michigan LB/S Jabrill Peppers 30th Overall

I've seen quite a few Michigan games and Peppers is a great athlete. He was very selfless playing LB because the team needed him to last year. However, I don't think he's got the coverage skills to play S and he's not big enough to play LB in the NFL.

He doesn't go with the Steelers current defensive drafting of LB/DB of guys who can take the ball away. One interception in college. I think he will be a damn good return man, maybe Devin Hester-ish even. On the defensive side of ST he will likely also be a beast. But as for a defensive player period, even with his athleticism I think he will probably be average.

And as of right now, we don't have a safety NEED. Mitchell is under contract the next two seasons (and I think he's begged than he's being given credit for) and Sean Davis - we have starters at the position for the next couple of years at least.

I think our biggest need is edge rusher. Harrison lead the team with 5 sacks last season. Hopefully we will have Bud Dupree all next season and he will do big things. However, I think if we get a guy who can edge rush from the other side too (and then save Harrison for big pass rush downs where maybe we have him with Dupree and this other unknown guy), we can see a potentially good ballhawking secondary take advantage of the pass rush.

If Peppers is there in the second round, or if he falls a bit and they can trade up for him, I'd be okay with that. But the 30th overall pick? Not for a player that you're possibly not 100% sure where he's even going to play on defense.
    He could play slot. I don't doubt that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Great posting. I think that the "need" or role for a guy like Peppers increases if Butler and the rest of the staff see Timmons departure as chance to move the defense in a slightly different direction.

Play a 3-4 with someone like Peppers in a SS/LB hybrid role. Basically the Steelers play outside their basse 3-4 the majority of the time anyways. It typically ends up being some sort of 2-4-5. Peppers would like really good and likely excel in a "hybrid" role as the 4th LB in that alignment.

If they get a safety in the first two rounds of the draft I strongly believe that it will be a signal of Butler moving the defense into a more coverage heavy scheme with 5+ DBs on the field almost constantly.

All that being said, you could arrive at the same point with a guy like Reddick from Temple alongside Shazier. Or the dude with the long name from Tennessee. Maybin something or other. Alternatively, you could go with a "big" CB that could handle TEs on his own and drop Mitchell or Davis down into the LB hybrid role.

What am I trying to say? I really believe that Butler and Tomlin are going to stay a "base" 3-4 team but the moves they have made on defense the last 2 years or so point towards really running it more as "big nickel" package as a base. I think they wanted Golden to be a big part of that, but he doesn't seem up to the task. Fortunately, if that is indeed they way they want to go, there are several guys in this draft class that could do the job. But they are all listed as DBs - not Lbs.

BurghBoy412

Peppers recently said in an interview that he views himself as a "safety". Does that not qualify as a DB?

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Great posting. I think that the "need" or role for a guy like Peppers increases if Butler and the rest of the staff see Timmons departure as chance to move the defense in a slightly different direction.

Play a 3-4 with someone like Peppers in a SS/LB hybrid role. Basically the Steelers play outside their basse 3-4 the majority of the time anyways. It typically ends up being some sort of 2-4-5. Peppers would like really good and likely excel in a "hybrid" role as the 4th LB in that alignment.

If they get a safety in the first two rounds of the draft I strongly believe that it will be a signal of Butler moving the defense into a more coverage heavy scheme with 5+ DBs on the field almost constantly.

All that being said, you could arrive at the same point with a guy like Reddick from Temple alongside Shazier. Or the dude with the long name from Tennessee. Maybin something or other. Alternatively, you could go with a "big" CB that could handle TEs on his own and drop Mitchell or Davis down into the LB hybrid role.

What am I trying to say? I really believe that Butler and Tomlin are going to stay a "base" 3-4 team but the moves they have made on defense the last 2 years or so point towards really running it more as "big nickel" package as a base. I think they wanted Golden to be a big part of that, but he doesn't seem up to the task. Fortunately, if that is indeed they way they want to go, there are several guys in this draft class that could do the job. But they are all listed as DBs - not Lbs.
    If you are correct and Butler is moving the Defense in this new direction. Which I happen to believe is exactly what is happening btw. If you had to pick between Tre White , Budda Baker, or Peppers. Who would you take?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    If you are correct and Butler is moving the Defense in this new direction. Which I happen to believe is exactly what is happening btw. If you had to pick between Tre White , Budda Baker, or Peppers. Who would you take?
    Man. That's a hard one. About a week ago I was totally against Peppers. I didn't see a role for him and I wasn't sure he was an impact player. Based on the posts around here and reading/watching some more of Peppers - I'm now thinking you just draft the dude and figure the role out later.

I guess I would have to say Peppers because he has better size than Baker and is a better tackler than White. Also, he kinda comes pre-made for the role. The other two are more "traditional" DB prospects?

What about the dude from UConn with the name I can't spell?

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Man. That's a hard one. About a week ago I was totally against Peppers. I didn't see a role for him and I wasn't sure he was an impact player. Based on the posts around here and reading/watching some more of Peppers - I'm now thinking you just draft the dude and figure the role out later.

I guess I would have to say Peppers because he has better size than Baker and is a better tackler than White. Also, he kinda comes pre-made for the role. The other two are more "traditional" DB prospects?

What about the dude from UConn with the name I can't spell?
    Obi Melifonwu . Freakish athletic ability. I think he's 6' 2-3". He's really good at covering over the top. Moves sideline to sideline with ease. Really hard guy to beat deep. Fantastic FS prospect.

I really wish the Steelers could pull a trade and snag both guys.

Still Peppers appear like a guy you could line up anywhere on the field. I love that versatility. Especially in a pass happy league with monster TE's lining up all over the place.

That being said. I just watched an Obi highlight reel. He is FN unbelievable man!!!!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Obi Melifonwu . Freakish athletic ability. I think he's 6' 2-3". He's really good at covering over the top. Moves sideline to sideline with ease. Really hard guy to beat deep. Fantastic FS prospect.

I really wish the Steelers could pull a trade and snag both guys.

Still Peppers appear like a guy you could line up anywhere on the field. I love that versatility. Especially in a pass happy league with monster TE's lining up all over the place.

That being said. I just watched an Obi highlight reel. He is FN unbelievable man!!!!
    I'd be more then happy with Peppers as our pick and that kid is going to be a star!! Anyhow welcome back BB.