Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking Steelers positional needs, all positions 2017

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Ranking Steelers positional needs, all positions 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    do you guys think were more interested in Samaje Perine or Joe Mixon? We've been eyeballing the Oklahoma backs quite a bit throughout the process. I like Samaje Perine less than i did before after he turn in a 4.65 40. thats a bit alarming even if he is 233lb
    I like both. Mixon is the better all around guy. Perine would be the most likely if we drafted one of those 2, IMO. Love the size, ability to catch, and he's quick enough in space that I'm not really worried about his straight line speed.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Seen enough of him in regular game and preseason's that would not have him other then the 3rd string rb at all times. He is another one of the players that have no upside like Landry Jones yet we still keep them around each year.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I agree. He hasn't shown any ability. I'd take pretty much any of the FA HBs over him, especially Cunningham, Burkhead and Davis.

He reminds me of that Jonathan Dwyer-Isaac Redman level of back ... looks just good enough in spots that you think you might have something, but it's just a bunch of meh. Still, he's serviceable in case of emergency.

Two ways this could play out - either we get another mid-range guy to be the #2, or if we're being super-aggressive elsewhere, we go with Frenchy as our #2 and put the money toward a defensive free agent. Then probably draft a running back in like the 6th round to fill out the depth chart.

At least RB isn't like cornerback; in the worst case, you can sign a guy in preseason or even the middle of the season, and he can still come in and run some basic plays and be effective.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I am updating my rankings of all Steelers positions from most in need to least in need the day before the draft. Descriptions will be based on what was or wasn't done since free agency

1. Outside Linebacker: Given that tomorrow's draft will provide a deep class of edge rushers, the Steelers passed on the position in free agency. A player drafted to be Harrison's eventual placement and can provide depth is expected early

2. Cornerback: Steelers did add a CB in free agency, Coty Sensebaugh who figures to just provide depth. Though when guys like Dre Kirkpatrick and Logan Ryan are costing teams $10 mil a year plus to sign, you're better off using a DEEP draft class to upgrade the position

3. Safety: Like OLB, a S was not acquired during the free agency period, and like OLB, and CB, the draft is very deep at the position. Isn't it great when the draft's deepest positions are what your team needs the most? A guy who can play free safety would be preferable, so Sean Davis can stay at strong safety when the draft pick replaces Mike Mitchell or beats him out for the starting job

4. Quarterback: The highest rated position of need that does not have a deep class. The re-signing of Landry Jones didn't impact this ranking neither did Ben officially announce his return since I anticipated his return and since it is still unknown how long Ben will play

5. Tight end: The biggest news to come out of the tight end position was the re-signing of David Johnson. Would not mind a TE who could block starting in the 3rd round that could provide more production than Jesse James if Green can't play

6. Inside Linebacker: The first change from my pre-free agency rankings. Timmons is officially a Dolphin and no one in free agency was added. Honestly, I was close to putting this above TE, but I am just higher on Vince Williams than LaDarius Green and Jesse James. If their interest in Hightower is any indication, they have interest in adding one in the draft to provide some depth

7. Running back: The Steelers officially announced that DeAngelo Williams would not be re-signed, but they got younger at backup RB by getting Knile Davis hence the drop below ILB. A day 3 selection to supplant Frenchy would be nice

8. Defensive line: Tyson Alualu adds to what is already a deep position on the team

9. Offensive line: I considered keeping O-line at the bottom spot since all of their o-linemen from a stacked group were retained but....

10. Wide Receiver: Wide receiver supplants o-line at the bottom of the position. After weeks of dicking around, the league office finally reinstated Bryant yesterday removing uncertainty at the position. With Bryant back in the fold WR itself is pretty stacked and I also think WR has more depth than O-line. Justin Hunter was also added which adds to the depth