Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter King: Steelers could be interested in Darrelle Revis

Drvlspwr Array title="Steel Peon has a reputation beyond repute"> Steel Peon's Avatar

Re: Peter King: Steelers could be interested in Darrelle Revis

CBS Sports - John Breech - Felony charges dropped against Darrelle Revis, who now wants to play for Steelers

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fe...-for-steelers/

With his legal obstacles now out of the way, Revis will likely draw some interest in free agency, and from the sound of it, it looks like he’s hoping to get a call from the Steelers.
    As he walked out of court on Wednesday, the Pittsburgh-native told NFL.com that it would be a “dream come true” to play for the Steelers.
    “They say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So I got rid of everything to see what I had.” ~ Steven Wright

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So....do we wake him up, or let him keep dreaming?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So....do we wake him up, or let him keep dreaming?
    priceless

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Revis was a great player ..... key word here is WAS ..... now I believe his mind has visions of paychecks his body can no longer cash

its time to hand em up and lots of guys have a hard time recognizing it when it gets there ..

a few greats where able to make the switch from CB to S and extend their careers a Pair of Woodson's come to mind but they did not look like Revis did last year before making that switch .

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Once again the question comes down to price. Early on I was thinking what if we brought him in as a centerfield safety. I still like the idea. A lot. I think with his football IQ, losing a step or two won't be as big an issue. But he's no longer worthy of the big paychecks either. I would love to sign him on a 1 year, incentive laden deal that would not harm our future.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Peon View Post
    CBS Sports - John Breech - Felony charges dropped against Darrelle Revis, who now wants to play for Steelers

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fe...-for-steelers/
    Depending on the amount he wants, I'd definitely bring him in at this point. Sure, he might not be able to cover a number one receiver anymore, but if he's willing to share his experiences and take our young CBs under his wing while playing slot or even against a number 2, I can only see it as a positive.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I was against signing him but with the way the market is now and the current status of the roster, I'd be willing to throw a couple/few million at him to see if he still has some gas left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Would it be a dream come true to play for us, or only a dream come true to play for us for more money than we could ever possibly afford or want to spend on him?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Via Rapoport: "Unless a team pays Revis more than $6M, he'll play for the minimum. Why? Jets owe him $6M with offsets. They cover cost up to $6M."

If it's such a dream, then a he'll accept the minimum. which imo is worth the risk.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Via Rapoport: "Unless a team pays Revis more than $6M, he'll play for the minimum. Why? Jets owe him $6M with offsets. They cover cost up to $6M."

If it's such a dream, then a he'll accept the minimum. which imo is worth the risk.
    Colbert would be a fool to pass on that deal!

Is there anything out there that shows the Steelers have interest? There's plenty of talk from Revis' camp, but any comments from the Steelers' FO?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

Is there anything out there that shows the Steelers have interest? There's plenty of talk from Revis' camp, but any comments from the Steelers' FO?
    Agree. If he's willing to go minimum and screw the Jets over...do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

Agreed. Why the Hell wouldn't we be talking to him if that's the case?
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

They want Blake back! Scary because he is a FA.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    They want Blake back! Scary because he is a FA.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

This might actually be relevant in this case:

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

Revis would be 100 times better than the 5ft 9 175lb 2nd round draft pick that can't even make it past training camp. Revis is a Pitt guy that just wants a chance to play for the Steelers, give him a small salary and see what the man can do for the team. I can still see Tom Brady making a mockery out of the so called secondary that the Steelers currently employ, upgrades are gravely nended and if that means signing Revis and drafting a CB 3rd round then so be it.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Vet minimum I say yes

- - - Updated - - -

I say take Revis, Carr and Clairborne... play the numbers game like the browns

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Vet minimum I say yes

- - - Updated - - -

Ravens sign Brandon Carr

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Damn... march madness got my off the ball for one second. I knew as soon as i sent it i should have fact checked it

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Vet minimum I say yes

- - - Updated - - -

I was listening.....then you said, "like the Browns".

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Ravens sign Brandon Carr
    Carr and Claiborne have both been signed.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Nobody's going to pay him $6 million, so if that's true, I don't understand why it's not a done deal. Unless he's really just awful now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I still say he is done ! ( or should be )

2015 season in coverage: allowed 27 catches on 56 targets (48.2 completion percentage) for 370 yards and a 51.9 passer rating.
    2016 season in coverage: allowed 51 catches on 79 targets (64.6 completion percentage) for 743 yards and a 102.5 passer rating

that is what I call losing a step or 2

Only Green Bay's Damarious Randall had a higher passer rating allowed (107.9) in 2016. And Revis' 64.6 catch rate was the highest of any of the league's CB1s last season -- 11 percent higher than the NFL average

that is a couple of distinctions you do not want to have as a DB Revis has plummeted like a stone ...

to keep this in perspective one time Steelers whipping boy Blake was in the league last year with the Titans and outplayed Revis's numbers ... this would be a signing on name recognition and notoriety not current ability level

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    I still say he is done ! ( or should be )

2015 season in coverage: allowed 27 catches on 56 targets (48.2 completion percentage) for 370 yards and a 51.9 passer rating.
    2016 season in coverage: allowed 51 catches on 79 targets (64.6 completion percentage) for 743 yards and a 102.5 passer rating

that is what I call losing a step or 2

Only Green Bay's Damarious Randall had a higher passer rating allowed (107.9) in 2016. And Revis' 64.6 catch rate was the highest of any of the league's CB1s last season -- 11 percent higher than the NFL average

that is a couple of distinctions you do not want to have as a DB Revis has plummeted like a stone ...

to keep this in perspective one time Steelers whipping boy Blake was in the league last year with the Titans and outplayed Revis's numbers ... this would be a signing on name recognition and notoriety not current ability level
    Bad side - these numbers are totally correct and there is a giant fork sticking out of Revis' back and he is totally done.
    Good side - he played 10-20 lbs heavy last year because he suddenly forgot to work out in the off-season? No one seems to be able to explain that part. Reports are that he has trained down to his more traditional playing weight.

If the reports are that he can be had for the vet minimum due to his contract language with the Jets - why not?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Bad side - these numbers are totally correct and there is a giant fork sticking out of Revis' back and he is totally done.
    Good side - he played 10-20 lbs heavy last year because he suddenly forgot to work out in the off-season? No one seems to be able to explain that part. Reports are that he has trained down to his more traditional playing weight.

If the reports are that he can be had for the vet minimum due to his contract language with the Jets - why not?

If he can be signed for vet minimum and you have the chance to have one of the greatest corners in the history of the NFL prove he still has it and win a championship........why in the hell would anyone not be interested in trying that????

There would be almost zero risk and almost no financial impact whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    If he can be signed for vet minimum and you have the chance to have one of the greatest corners in the history of the NFL prove he still has it and win a championship........why in the hell would anyone not be interested in trying that????

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

the only minor detail that is being over looked is our coaching staff has proven that they do not have the ability to remove a player from the line up when he is sucking at a record setting pace ( see Blake) and Revis was worse in 2016 combine that with his * Celebrity * that Blake did not have and that scares the shit out of me of any chance of him being removed from the lineup if he plays like 2016 ( or worse )

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

the only minor detail that is being over looked is our coaching staff has proven that they do not have the ability to remove a player from the line up when he is sucking at a record setting pace ( see Blake) and Revis was worse in 2016 combine that with his * Celebrity * that Blake did not have and that scares the shit out of me of any chance of him being removed from the lineup if he plays like 2016 ( or worse )

I think the difference here is that if they were to sign Revis, they would have other proven players on the roster. If Cockrell, Burns, or Gay are off the field, I think they have proven themselves to be much better players than Blake was and would be put on the field because the coaches trust them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I will pay money to not have this argument again.

Brandon Boykin's almost total disappearance from the NFL speaks volumes all on its own.