Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Art Rooney II: Martavis Bryant has 'tremendous potential'

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Art Rooney II: Martavis Bryant has 'tremendous potential'

Sure hope Bryant can pull it all together!

Art Rooney II hasn't lost an ounce of faith in Martavis Bryant's physical ability entering the 2017 season.

The Steelers' president did say earlier this month that hopes that Bryant has the right mental game needed to bounce back in 2017 after being suspended for the entire 2016 season. Bryant applied for reinstatement back into the NFL earlier this month.
    http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Art-Ro...ntial-51389861

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II: Martavis Bryant has 'tremendous potential'

I agree, Shoes. We need him tremendously in the upcoming season. I'm holding onto hope he will come back better than ever.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He was missed this past season. I'm somewhat optimistic he'll be back.

This doesn't hurt
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I wish him nothing but the best as a person. Never playing this game again and all the money it will cost him and the ability to support his family is huge. I just hope he did everything he could to correct his problem, and stays on the right path for the rest of his life.

As a player, he is very explosive and really opens up the rest of the field for everyone else. Let's face it, the suspensions and injuries have hampered this team for a few years now. We are all dying to see what this offense is capable of if all the parts are in place.

These are big ifs....but AB, Bryant, Rogers, Wheaton?, a healthy Coates, Hamilton, and Ayers at WR. A healthy Green, Jesse James, and Grimble at TE. LeVeon Bell, Williams, and anybody at RB. A healthy and increasingly deep offensive line to allow Ben to implement of the weapons into the attack.

Wow, this offense is scary with all cylinders firing. We just need to see it come to reality this season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Steelers need his head to be on straight...the offense needs him, AB needs him, Ben needs him...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I wish him nothing but the best as a person. Never playing this game again and all the money it will cost him and the ability to support his family is huge. I just hope he did everything he could to correct his problem, and stays on the right path for the rest of his life.

As a player, he is very explosive and really opens up the rest of the field for everyone else. Let's face it, the suspensions and injuries have hampered this team for a few years now. We are all dying to see what this offense is capable of if all the parts are in place.

These are big ifs....but AB, Bryant, Rogers, Wheaton?, a healthy Coates, Hamilton, and Ayers at WR. A healthy Green, Jesse James, and Grimble at TE. LeVeon Bell, Williams, and anybody at RB. A healthy and increasingly deep offensive line to allow Ben to implement of the weapons into the attack.

Wow, this offense is scary with all cylinders firing. We just need to see it come to reality this season.
    I hope they all come back healthy. I'd love to see this offense at full strength.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yeah, Bryant could be a big boost to the offense, but with all his issues and after a full year away from the game, it's a total dice roll all over again. Great if it works out, but I don't think we can count on it 100%.

I wouldn't be surprised if we used a mid-round pick at WR for the insurance. Wheaton is as good as gone (and Rogers is just as good a slot receiver anyway), Coates is useless, and despite my high hopes for DHB stepping up based on what he showed in 2015, he was not very impressive either, and there's an excellent chance that out of five guys, one gets injured for a good amount of time. So having a low-cost, high-potential guy waiting in the wings would not be a bad idea.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Odds are against him. I think Rooney said something as a vote of confidence, but also saying it is a last chance. The world is full of talented people who self-destruct.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Odds are against him. I think Rooney said something as a vote of confidence, but also saying it is a last chance. The world is full of talented people who self-destruct.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    I agree. I highly doubt he'll finish his NFL career "clean" but I'm rooting for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I'm pulling for the guy and, he is a game changing type of player.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'm a sucker for people getting 2nd and 3rd chances. So that will make me want to root for him.

I will also root for him because I think his ceiling is basically prime Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson - you know when they couldn't be stopped. That'd be fun to watch.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm a sucker for people getting 2nd and 3rd chances. So that will make me want to root for him.

I will also root for him because I think his ceiling is basically prime Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson - you know when they couldn't be stopped. That'd be fun to watch.
    Easy there. Bryant is very talented, but his ceiling will never come close to Moss or Johnson.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Easy there. Bryant is very talented, but his ceiling will never come close to Moss or Johnson.
    I realize it is a best case scenario. Sobriety and availability are the first steps. Likely not Johnson because Bryant will never be that strong but I do see Moss as his absolute ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I realize it is a best case scenario. Sobriety and availability are the first steps. Likely not Johnson because Bryant will never be that strong but I do see Moss as his absolute ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with the added 20 pounds of muscle he's off to a good start! I think he's going to be ok, for his mother, son and daughters sake. No doubt he had a lot of time for reflection this past year, I remember his mother saying “He wants to be a better man than his father was,” Roberta (his mother) said. “His father was never there. [Martavis] wants to be that guy.” I wish him all success!
    Last edited by Shoes; 02-22-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    He has already hit the Moss comparison though at a national level (most TD's in so few games tied with only Moss). He just can't keep himself clean. That's his only problem. Not his talent (minus hands, but I will take those drops any day because the talent that comes with it is immense).

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

"A player's most important ability is availability."
    --Bill Parcells

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Dumb prediction: Martavis Bryant makes the pro bowl if reinstated
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    With the talent, the supposedly new work ethic, and the way he's focused now, I don't think that's such a dumb prediction at all.

Agreed! Add to that he and his wife/girl friend are having their first son shortly. Three kids, he'll be focused!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I didn't read the link on the OP so this may already been covered. But in games where Martavis plays a high quantity of snaps the Steelers average over 6 points more per game than they do without him. Coincidence? I don't think so. In my opinion this guy balances out the offense perfectly. I hope he comes back at least the player he was and without the baggage!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I didn't read the link on the OP so this may already been covered. But in games where Martavis plays a high quantity of snaps the Steelers average over 6 points more per game than they do without him. Coincidence? I don't think so. In my opinion this guy balances out the offense perfectly. I hope he comes back at least the player he was and without the baggage!
    With Bryant this offense is lights out.

Without him, about above average.

If you remember, this offense wasn't really considered to be that good until Bryant showed up for that Texans game. He showed up and then Ben threw 6 TD's two games in a row after that. It took a couple games for defenses to figure out an approach to the new 4-headed monster.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Martavis Bryant set to meet with NFL by March 13

Martavis Bryant is set to meet with the NFL and the league's Players Association-appointed medical advisor and medical director on March 13, as Bryant continues to seek eligibility for the 2017 season.
    Once the interview has concluded, per Jacob Klinger of PennLive.com, the advisor and director will meet with Goodell to either recommend Bryant's reinstatement or to tell Goodell to uphold his suspension.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Martav...ch-13-51666179

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Likewise on all counts.

I think Bryant playing (and healthy) may be the biggest factor with regard to whether we go to the super bowl or not this year.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Likewise on all counts.

I think Bryant playing (and healthy) may be the biggest factor with regard to whether we go to the super bowl or not this year.
    I got a feeling he is ready to take it seriously. Check out his Instagram account. He is working out like James Harrison, he looks like he packed on muscle and speed drills all day.

Martavis Bryant is set to meet with the NFL and the league's Players Association-appointed medical advisor and medical director on March 13, as Bryant continues to seek eligibility for the 2017 season.
    Once the interview has concluded, per Jacob Klinger of PennLive.com, the advisor and director will meet with Goodell to either recommend Bryant's reinstatement or to tell Goodell to uphold his suspension.
    Goodell must make a decision on Bryant's reinstatement by March 28, as Pittsburgh's receiver has to meet with Goodell by this date and agree to whatever terms of reinstatement Goodell imposes if Bryant is to have his suspension lifted.
    The Pittsburgh Steelers had a great season and will be even stronger in 2017! Stay in the loop and sign up for our FREE Steelers newsletter!
    The next big date for Bryant -- assuming his is reinstated by Goodell -- is April 17, the Steelers' first day of voluntary offseason workouts. According to Klinger, Steelers substance abuse physician would "Have to give Bryant a physical and clear him before he could participate in contact drills, which don't begin until training camp in July. That physical does not include a drug test."

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Goodell must make a decision on Bryant's reinstatement by March 28, as Pittsburgh's receiver has to meet with Goodell by this date and agree to whatever terms of reinstatement Goodell imposes if Bryant is to have his suspension lifted.
    The Pittsburgh Steelers had a great season and will be even stronger in 2017! Stay in the loop and sign up for our FREE Steelers newsletter!
    The next big date for Bryant -- assuming his is reinstated by Goodell -- is April 17, the Steelers' first day of voluntary offseason workouts. According to Klinger, Steelers substance abuse physician would "Have to give Bryant a physical and clear him before he could participate in contact drills, which don't begin until training camp in July. That physical does not include a drug test."

What is important is to establish credibility and sincerity during the reinstatement interview - dressing properly can help establish that bond

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    What is important is to establish credibility and sincerity during the reinstatement interview - dressing properly can help establish that bond

Approprite only if his meeting w/Goodhell is on April 20th???

Wow, Bryant @230lbs!

If Bryant comes back stronger than ever, there's no NFL defense that will be able to stop the Pittsburgh Steelers offense in 2017. Along with Big Ben and Brown, the team still has Bell, who led the NFL with 157 all-purpose yards per game in 2016. They also have the best offensive line in football, a line that allowed just one sack during the 2016 postseason. They also have emerging pass catchers in Rodgers, Hamilton,
    Sammie Coates
    and Jesse James. And if Ladarius Green can return to form after showing flashes of his ability before suffering a season-ending head injury last season, this could easily become the most prolific offense in team history.
    http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steele...-ever-51663282

Bryant is correct, big difference after the catch.

Martavis Bryant fires back at Justin Hunter comparisons

Martavis Bryant is waiting on reinstatement from the NF
    L, but he has taken notice of a recent free agent signing the Pittsburgh Steelers have made.The Steelers signed wide receiver Justin Hunter earlier this week, who is similar in physical measurables, but Bryant wants to make it known that he is the better player.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Martav...isons-51789136