Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Art Rooney II: Martavis Bryant has 'tremendous potential'

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Art Rooney II: Martavis Bryant has 'tremendous potential'

Repost from Steelers Depot:

"Recidivism rate for players receiving 2 suspensions under substance abuse policy
    This sample includes 21 players, of which Josh Gordon is actually the success story. He managed to play five games following his second substance abuse-related suspension. Nobody else managed more than one. Of these 21 players,17 (81 percent) never played again."

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...spensions?pg=2

suddenly i feel less optimistic about Bryant and more warm to the idea of an early round WR
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Repost from Steelers Depot:

"Recidivism rate for players receiving 2 suspensions under substance abuse policy
    This sample includes 21 players, of which Josh Gordon is actually the success story. He managed to play five games following his second substance abuse-related suspension. Nobody else managed more than one. Of these 21 players,17 (81 percent) never played again."

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...spensions?pg=2

suddenly i feel less optimistic about Bryant and more warm to the idea of an early round WR
    An early WR AND an early RB.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think Bryant will get the green light from the NFL. Martavis has a lot to play for, a wife and three kids, its his choice what he loves most pot or them.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think Bryant will get the green light from the NFL. Martavis has a lot to play for, a wife and three kids, its his choice what he loves most pot or them.
    I agree. But with the stats in the article showing the truth about players with substance abuse issues, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in Bryant staying clean and on the field. Hope, yes. Faith, no.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I get that the #'s work out the way the article says, but it doesn't really look at context.

Alcoholism is an addiction.

Mental health issues are a serious medical situation.

Smoking a bunch of dope is a choice.

How much of the recidivism is due to poor or incomplete treatment of an underlying addiction or mental health issue and how many were because dudes liked being high and made bad decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I get that the #'s work out the way the article says, but it doesn't really look at context.

Alcoholism is an addiction.

Mental health issues are a serious medical situation.

Smoking a bunch of dope is a choice.

How much of the recidivism is due to poor or incomplete treatment of an underlying addiction or mental health issue and how many were because dudes liked being high and made bad decisions?
    My thing is, what's the difference? Whatever the reason they aren't on the field. Is there a stat that shows treatment success for getting NFL substance abusing players off the stuff? Those players aren't getting suspended for ADHD or BiPolar disorders or poor endzone dance moves. Pot may not have addictive properties, but some players seem to have a problem putting it down. The article just shows what has happened with these players. It goes on to show that players that get a 2nd/3rd suspension are much more likely to continue to have issues with it. Whatever the cause is, the result is no football.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Memo to Martavis: throw away the bong and start drinking. The NFL is OK with it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    My thing is, what's the difference? Whatever the reason they aren't on the field. Is there a stat that shows treatment success for getting NFL substance abusing players off the stuff? Those players aren't getting suspended for ADHD or BiPolar disorders or poor endzone dance moves. Pot may not have addictive properties, but some players seem to have a problem putting it down. The article just shows what has happened with these players. It goes on to show that players that get a 2nd/3rd suspension are much more likely to continue to have issues with it. Whatever the cause is, the result is no football.
    I know plenty of people who had problematic relationships with substances in their youth. Many, when faced with consequences, changed their habits and went on to great success. A few, failed to get help for the underlying medical, mental, and addiction issues that were the root cause of their issues.

THe question is how many of the players in the articles #'s are from which category? For instance, Jamarcus Russell talks about how he was an undiagnosed, untreated, and barely functional alcoholic while he bounced around the league.

Why can't these guys just get a script for the medical variety if they need it for pain or coping issues? Get the benefit without flagging the tests.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I know plenty of people who had problematic relationships with substances in their youth. Many, when faced with consequences, changed their habits and went on to great success. A few, failed to get help for the underlying medical, mental, and addiction issues that were the root cause of their issues.

THe question is how many of the players in the articles #'s are from which category? For instance, Jamarcus Russell talks about how he was an undiagnosed, untreated, and barely functional alcoholic while he bounced around the league.
    Agreed.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I guess I know what movie I'll be watching tomorrow.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Well...what happened in NY??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Well...what happened in NY??

This
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...-Reinstatement

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

When Bryant plays, the Steelers average nearly a touchdown more in total points. That's huge.

Bryant has Randy Moss type of talent, and is the best deep threat in the NFL.

I just hope he values football over the pot.