Thread: Blast From The Past: How Jarvis Jones Was Graded Prior To 2013 NFL Draft

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Blast From The Past: How Jarvis Jones Was Graded Prior To 2013 NFL Draft

Though the last snap of the 2016 NFL Season has been played, the 24/7 – 365 nature of the National Football League rolls on. With the driest spell of the football calendar approaching, football pundits all over the country are looking for substance to bridge them over to the NFL Draft. Mock drafts and draft profiles make up the present and future agenda but a void is left for past evaluations. While many experts break down incoming prospects, it would be interesting to see how previous draft selections have performed compared to their pre-draft evaluations.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02...013-nfl-draft/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Blast From The Past: How Jarvis Jones Was Graded Prior To 2013 NFL Draft

Actual quote from me prior to the 2013 draft on a thread discussing the possible matchup and a link to the thread it came from below

If Jarvis Jones is available at 17, they would be fools to pass him up. He was a top 5 pick at the end of the college football season for being one of the elite pass rushers in college football while playing in the nation's toughest conference. The only reason his stock has been hurt is because his medical condition, in which at least one doctor has cleared him on, and an issue he has had dating back to college while being an effective pass rusher, and his slow forty time, which quite honestly is meaningless in regards to whether a guy can play. He can help boost the team's sack total which has been lacking and in college, he stepped up in the biggest game, a good sign.
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ght=2013+draft

Yeah, I was really advocating hard for him and was super excited thinking they got a steal, feel pretty stupid looking back on it

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I remember all of the draft "experts" saying that we got a steal when he "dropped" to us. LMAO!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I remember all of the draft "experts" saying that we got a steal when he "dropped" to us. LMAO!
    Meanwhile most people (including me) thought Le'Veon was a reach in round 2

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Actual quote from me prior to the 2013 draft on a thread discussing the possible matchup and a link to the thread it came from below

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ght=2013+draft

Yeah, I was really advocating hard for him and was super excited thinking they got a steal, feel pretty stupid looking back on it

LMAO and I was still looking for a TE!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Ha, ha, ha... all of you dumb-asses wanted Jarvis Jones, and I was pimpin' Matt Elam.

Oh... right.

To be fair though the 2013 draft was overall, pretty poor, and the 2013 edge rusher class was overall awful. Dion Jordan and Barkevious Mingo were selected in the top 6

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Before draft season started I was saying the Steelers should look at this guy. Then I saw the videos on him and did a complete 180.
    Hater = Realist

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

You know it's off season when Steelers Depot "looks back" to a draft bust.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'll admit, I wanted Lacy.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

"10 years from now we're going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented WR in the 2008 NFL Draft Class." Talk about grades...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    "10 years from now we're going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented WR in the 2008 NFL Draft Class." Talk about grades...lol.
    Here's how much I liked the Limas Sweed pick... if he was in this current draft, I'd draft him all over again.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here's how much I liked the Limas Sweed pick... if he was in this current draft, I'd draft him all over again.
    You know what's funny? I just thought the exact same when I was typing McShays quote. Lol. He was the only thing I liked out of that draft. Disliked the Mendenhall pick and HATED the Davis pick. Passed Avril up for him...ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You know what's funny? I just thought the exact same when I was typing McShays quote. Lol. He was the only thing I liked out of that draft. Disliked the Mendenhall pick and HATED the Davis pick. Passed Avril up for him...ugh.
    ^^^THIS

I'll admit, I wanted Lacy.
    Most people wanted Lacy including me

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Two of them will be making the picks for the Steelers in 2 months

Meet 2013's draft pick Jarvis Jones: Steelers hope he chews up opposition

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was so thrilled to get Jones that the other coaches in the team's draft room were energized just listening to their head coach rave about his ability.

"We didn't even talk to Jarvis at the combine because we didn't think there was any chance he'd even get to us," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201304270161

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Two of them will be making the picks for the Steelers in 2 months

Meet 2013's draft pick Jarvis Jones: Steelers hope he chews up opposition

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was so thrilled to get Jones that the other coaches in the team's draft room were energized just listening to their head coach rave about his ability.

"We didn't even talk to Jarvis at the combine because we didn't think there was any chance he'd even get to us," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201304270161
    While all that is true - the last several drafts would seem to indicate that the Steelers have shifted gears.

2013: Jones and Bell. Both were drafted for need. One worked out WAY better than ANY individual expected. One stunk because he was not a good enough athlete for the NFL.

2014: Shazier and Tuitt. Ridiculous athletes for their size and position.
    2015: Dupree and Golson. Ridiculous athletes for their size and position.
    2016: Burns and Davis. Ridiculous athletes for their size and position.

I think they learned from the Jones "bust" and are no longer drafting folks in the top 1-3 rounds that are not great athletes. Sure, they also have a record of being football players as well, but they seem to have shifted their philosophy away from drafting 2-4 year starters with a track record of production at a big time program to drafting high upside athletes that can do football things.

I think 2009-2013 Colbert and Co would never have drafted Javon Hargrave for instance. Now, they target that guy over more nationally noted DTs.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

#7 was not a fan after Bell was injured in preseason, based on this nugget from the radio show that appears to be designed to allow Ben to stir things up

"Honestly, I have no idea with him," Roethlisberger told KDKA-FM on Tuesday, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "You can't get a read on him. One day, he's practicing, one day, he's not; one day, he's going hard, the next day, he's not. I wish I could.

"If he was a guy like Heath Miller that you knew was busting his butt every day to get back there," he continued. "Le'Veon is a rookie, I don't know him quite well enough yet. But if he can come back and help us, we'll take him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...y-for-steelers

But we all know who the real gem of that 2013 draft was

BEST VALUE: Safety Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse. Some draft experts had Thomas pegged to go much later than the fourth round. But he's intense, aggressive, vocal and thrives on contact. In terms of how the Steelers play, this is great value for a defensive back who fits Pittsburgh's style of play and likely will be called upon to start next season. Ryan Clark is an unrestricted free agent next year. The Steelers wanted him so much that they traded a 2014 third-round pick to get Thomas in the fourth round this year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/po...edirected=true

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

A lot of guys that were good draft picks on paper didn't turn out as expected. Every team can list a hundred. Jones may turn out to be an incredible sam or will in a 4-3 somewhere. Heck, he might even turn out to be the next Urlacher. Just because he didn't work with what we do doesn't make him a bust as a player. Just a bust for us.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I wanted Tyler Eifert and was pretty adamant about it on Steelers Fever. After the pick of Jones I trashed it. I just couldn't see a guy who ran a 4.9 and looked weak being a great edge rusher.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It's always difficult evaluating.

When I look back I prefer to talk about the ones I got right!

It sounds like bullshit, but I was one of the people that warned everyone before the draft about Jones at SF. I didn't want them to draft him and a few of us explained why. I wish I was wrong about him, but unfortunately he was exactly what we feared he would be.

Loved Bell. Predicted he was the steal of the draft and said he had a chance to be the best back in the NFL.

Didn't like the Shamarko Thomas pick, but thought he had potential and trusted the team saw something in him. I didn't like that they moved up to get him. I think I wanted Philip Thomas instead! Not a great pick.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

If you are doing 50/50 with your draft picks, you are doing very well. It is just that the 1st rounders have a bigger magnifying glass and they are all expected to be stars. Does not hold for the Steelers and it does not hold for the NFL. No matter how athletic or what physical attributes a player has, it all comes down to heart and mental toughness. Mendy, Sweed and JJ are clear failures. Unexpected gems from the 6th round make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    BEST VALUE: Safety Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse. Some draft experts had Thomas pegged to go much later than the fourth round. But he's intense, aggressive, vocal and thrives on contact. In terms of how the Steelers play, this is great value for a defensive back who fits Pittsburgh's style of play and likely will be called upon to start next season. Ryan Clark is an unrestricted free agent next year. The Steelers wanted him so much that they traded a 2014 third-round pick to get Thomas in the fourth round this year.
    Over at SF, WokeUpWithAWoodley (I miss that guy) calmed me down after I didn't get Matt Elam, by telling me that Shamarko Thomas was the poor man's Matt Elam.

He was right.

Elam was an AMC Gremlin... and Shamarko is a Ford Pinto.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Over at SF, WokeUpWithAWoodley (I miss that guy) calmed me down after I didn't get Matt Elam, by telling me that Shamarko Thomas was the poor man's Matt Elam.

He was right.

On the bright side, you convinced the Ravens to take an overrated player early.....so we could take an overrated player later.

If you think about it like that....it's all good.

You have a nice day Ozzie!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

He was right.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    On the bright side, you convinced the Ravens to take an overrated player early.....so we could take an overrated player later.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I remember thinking that was a dumb time to pick a pass rusher and would've been a great pick to finally get a DB ... guess that was the right answer after all.

Bell vs. Lacy; I wasn't sold on Lacy but had next to no idea who the hell Bell was either, so I'll just say I'm glad at the way THAT turned out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I heard that Justin Vogel, P, Miami is rising fast up draft boards. Let's take him at 30... because, if we wait, ugh. I'd hate for him to become a Raven!!!

(Ozzie can't read anything written inside of parentheses.)

I heard that Justin Vogel, P, Miami is rising fast up draft boards. Let's take him at 30... because, if we wait, ugh. I'd hate for him to become a Raven!!!

(Ozzie can't read anything written inside of parentheses.)

You and I are now doing the Spock mind meld.

You and I are now doing the Spock mind meld.
    That... or, we share a brain.