Thread: Vintage Steelers jerseys said to be the 'Holy Grail' of sports memorabilia

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Vintage Steelers jerseys said to be the 'Holy Grail' of sports memorabilia

Jersey swapping between NFL stars has become commonplace across the NFL. Ben Roethlisberger asked for and received a Tom Brady jersey last fall. Antonio Brown swapped jerseys with fellow NFL stars Dez Bryant of Dallas and O’Dell Beckham Jr. of the New York Giants.

This is a relatively new phenomenon, and it certainly didn’t take place in the 1970s when the Steelers were in the midst of their dynasty. Back then, Steelers players not only wore the same jerseys from game to game they wore the same jerseys from year to year. Equipment managers would patch and sew jerseys that were damaged in games and players would wear the same jerseys for years.

That makes Steelers game-worn jerseys “the Holy Grail” of NFL memorabilia, according to Josh Evans of Lelands Auctions.

“They’re the hardest jerseys to find in the NFL,” Evans said. “A lot of teams would just get new jerseys every year. The Steelers used them over and over again.”

For the first time, the Steelers and Lelands are teaming up to sell game-worn jerseys. Fans can bid on a jersey Terry Bradshaw wore in the 1977 AFC divisional round playoff game against Denver. There is a Franco Harris jersey that was worn in a December 1978 game in Denver and a Mel Blount jersey that was worn throughout the 1978 season.........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/S...s/201702160153

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Vintage Steelers jerseys said to be the 'Holy Grail' of sports memorabilia

I would love to get my paws on a Mel Blount jersey

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I wouldn't want a Bradshaw jersey since stupid Brady has now won more Super Bowls. I don't like Bradshaw anymore either given his recent antics. Traitor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I would love to get my paws on a Mel Blount jersey
    That would be sweet.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'd take most of those. I'd definitely want the Bradshaw one. There's also a Bettis and Hines Ward one out there that I would like...maybe even more than Bradshaw or Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler