Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47

Thread: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    5,270

    Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    After parting ways with seldom-used cornerback Justin Gilbert last week, several now believe that the Pittsburgh Steelers should and ultimately will address the position in the early rounds of the 2017 NFL Draft. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, however, isn’t one of those people.
    During his weekly online chat on Wednesday, Dulac was asked to give his expanded thoughts on the Steelers not needing to spend an early draft pick this year on a cornerback.
    “What I said is cornerback is not a priority, not like the past 2 seasons,” Dulac wrote during his recently concluded online chat. “And just like last season, the Steelers view [Senquez] Golson as a second No. 2 draft pick for 2017. That doesn’t mean they won’t draft a cornerback, but it won’t be in the first two or three rounds. It’s more likely they will draft a safety before a corner.”
    More here..
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02...-three-rounds/
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    3,765

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    That'd be okay, because there is some good value in R3/R4.

    Damontae Kazee, San Diego State
    Rasul Douglass, West Virginia
    Fabien Moureau, UCLA
    Corn Elder, Miami

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    5,270

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That'd be okay, because there is some good value in R3/R4.

    Damontae Kazee, San Diego State
    Rasul Douglass, West Virginia
    Fabien Moureau, UCLA
    Corn Elder, Miami

    Agreed, don't forget Howard Wilson, Houston
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    8,800

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That'd be okay, because there is some good value in R3/R4.

    Damontae Kazee, San Diego State
    Rasul Douglass, West Virginia
    Fabien Moureau, UCLA
    Corn Elder, Miami
    You think Fabien can fall that far?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.
    (Updated 3/19) Free Agent Wishlist: ILB Zach Brown, QB Josh McCown, RB Benny Cunningham, CB Alterraun Verner

    Mock Draft (Updated 3/22): 1st-ILB Haason Reddick, 2nd-CB Chidobie Awuzie, 3rd-TE Adam Shaheen, 3rd- RB Marlon Mack 4th-OLB Trey Hendrickson, 5th- WR Josh Reynolds, 6th- OLB Joe Mathis, 7th QB Josh Dobbs, UDFA: OLB Ejuan Price, SS Lorenzo Jerome, WR Jehu Chesson, TE Scott Orndoff

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    765

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Unless they sign a FA CB to play in the slot, I don't know how anyone can say they won't draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.

    Gay's play started falling off at the end of the season(looked old), Golson is a complete unknown. That position still needs to be addressed.
    2017 Mock Draft: 1. Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn 2. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado 3. Samaje Perine, RB, OU 3. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson 4. Corn Elder, CB, Miami 5. ​Ejuan Price, OLB, Pitt 6. KD Cannon, WR, Baylor 7. Isaac Rochell, DE, Notre Dame

  6. #6
    Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a brilliant future"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Gender
    Posts
    12,591

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    They need to either bring in a good FA or draft another CB in the first 3 rounds. Golson can't be counted on and as was said above, Gay's play seemed to really be falling off.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    This new CB signee, Davonte Johnson, would be a slot guy too right. If he panned out. 5'10"-180??? Between him and Golson, we still have no idea where we stand on the position.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    3,765

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed, don't forget Howard Wilson, Houston
    Duly noted.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Not sure how they can dismiss corner as a possibility. They could use another press-man corner and an upgrade from Cockrell

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 is just really nice"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Posts
    4,196

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Not sure how they can dismiss corner as a possibility. They could use another press-man corner and an upgrade from Cockrell
    I never was high on cockrell...i think he became a liability down the stretch

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Where's the beef? Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar
    Bandit Gunslingers Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Va
    Gender
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Gay was more of a liability than Cockrell was.






  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    1,170

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Gay was more of a liability than Cockrell was.

    Cockrell wasn't drafted by the team.

    He has been their best and most consistent corner since he stepped on the field.

    He has shown the ability to play man coverage very well, as he was given the task of following the best receivers in the NFL all over field in a few games this season.

    He played very well in those games.

    The team loses to the Patriots and hardly play man coverage. Receivers were running wide open on blown assignments at all levels and areas of the defense all game.

    Clearly....it's Cockrell's fault, and they need to get someone better.....

    Cockrell sucks.....and the #4 receiver on the team that has only been in the league for a couple years didn't dominate the NFL after he broke multiple fingers but continued to gut it out and play because they had nobody behind him that could threaten a defense the way he can....and is only playing because the #2 WR was suspended for the entire year and the #3 WR was hurt all year...sucks too and needs to go.

    Such is life at Steelers message boards when they don't win the super bowl.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Cockrell wasn't drafted by the team.

    He has been their best and most consistent corner since he stepped on the field.

    He has shown the ability to play man coverage very well, as he was given the task of following the best receivers in the NFL all over field in a few games this season.

    He played very well in those games.

    The team loses to the Patriots and hardly play man coverage. Receivers were running wide open on blown assignments at all levels and areas of the defense all game.

    Clearly....it's Cockrell's fault, and they need to get someone better.....

    Cockrell sucks.....and the #4 receiver on the team that has only been in the league for a couple years didn't dominate the NFL after he broke multiple fingers but continued to gut it out and play because they had nobody behind him that could threaten a defense the way he can....and is only playing because the #2 WR was suspended for the entire year and the #3 WR was hurt all year...sucks too and needs to go.

    Such is life at Steelers message boards when they don't win the super bowl.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead is a splendid one to behold">

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Denver
    Gender
    Posts
    882

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    I think our DB's are fine, so this is fine with me. We NEED an OLB that can put real pressure on the QB. I would prefer us go out and get/trade a pick for a top flight pass rusher. Even if it is for 2-3 years and we can draft their replacement this year or next. I honestly think that is our biggest need going into next season. As for the draft, I would prefer a different Safety to go with Davis, DL depth and a TE (WR only if Bryant can get his crap together).

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    765

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Cockrell is a fine #2 CB. He's a fit what they do defensively(he's a prototypical cover 2 zone CB). Wish he was more physical but he's fine. Burns taking another step, and developing into a shutdown CB will help Cockrell.

    Again, It's all about finding the next slot CB, which is basically a starter in today's NFL.
    2017 Mock Draft: 1. Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn 2. Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado 3. Samaje Perine, RB, OU 3. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson 4. Corn Elder, CB, Miami 5. ​Ejuan Price, OLB, Pitt 6. KD Cannon, WR, Baylor 7. Isaac Rochell, DE, Notre Dame

  16. #16
    Where's the beef? Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar
    Bandit Gunslingers Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Va
    Gender
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Cockrell wasn't drafted by the team.

    He has been their best and most consistent corner since he stepped on the field.

    He has shown the ability to play man coverage very well, as he was given the task of following the best receivers in the NFL all over field in a few games this season.

    He played very well in those games.

    The team loses to the Patriots and hardly play man coverage. Receivers were running wide open on blown assignments at all levels and areas of the defense all game.

    Clearly....it's Cockrell's fault, and they need to get someone better.....

    Cockrell sucks.....and the #4 receiver on the team that has only been in the league for a couple years didn't dominate the NFL after he broke multiple fingers but continued to gut it out and play because they had nobody behind him that could threaten a defense the way he can....and is only playing because the #2 WR was suspended for the entire year and the #3 WR was hurt all year...sucks too and needs to go.

    Such is life at Steelers message boards when they don't win the super bowl.
    Yeah I don't get where the Cockrell comment came from either. He has been a great find by us. To bad ole Rexy isn't around any more to help develop our roster.






  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan is a name known to all">

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    348

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Kevin Colbert's observation does not sound like someone who is confident the need to improve the CB position will be addressed by Golson

    The Steelers are more apprehensive and a little less excited about the return of cornerback Senquez Golson, who has never appeared in a game, preseason or regular season, since being a No. 2 draft choice in 2015....

    “Last year it was one injury, now it’s two and it’s a foot,” Colbert said. “Anytime a cornerback or a skill guy gets a foot injury, you’re a little concerned. Does he go from being a 4.3 guy to a 4.5? We won’t know until we see him.
    “I’m a little more apprehensive. Just from sitting out two years, where you haven’t played at all, it’s not real easy to just step out there and catch up.”


    Because of Golson’s situation, Colbert said the Steelers could look at drafting a cornerback in April. Both secondary positions — cornerback and safety — are considered deep heading into the NFL combine that begins next week.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201702160190

    Do not know Dulac's sources on CB not being a draft priority (my guess is Butler was the source of the inability of the DBs to play man coverage in the New England debacle) but I am guessing he will be shown to be wrong

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Looking at NEED defensively.....DL we have Heyward, Hargraves, and Tuitt. LBs we have Harrison, Dupree, Shazier, and Timmons. CBs are Burns and Cockrell(not forgetting Gay). And Safety is Mitchell and Davis. IMO, the obvious glaring 'need' would be at the CB position. If not in the first 2 or 3 rounds, when should we target this need? Yes, we will need a replacement for Harrison too, but is that a glaring need going into next season? My guess is this is blatant misdirection, or we are retooling this offense. We do 'need' TE and WR. A backup to Bell is more crucial than Harrison's replacement this season, IMO too. So, if we went 3 offensive stud skill guys in the first 3 rounds, I don't think I could disagree with that.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Need to look at need on about a two year cycle. Outside of say like 1/3 of rookies, the rest need a season to adjust and learn the game at the NFL level before they have any impact. Particularly pass rushers. So need a pass rusher in 18 or 19? Draft now.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Need to look at need on about a two year cycle. Outside of say like 1/3 of rookies, the rest need a season to adjust and learn the game at the NFL level before they have any impact. Particularly pass rushers. So need a pass rusher in 18 or 19? Draft now.
    Definitely agree. I was just going on from the first 2 or 3 rounds idea. We can get a pass rush specialist in rounds 4-7 pretty easily this draft. Like your post before, that won't make a complete OLB for our defense, it is something we need, and can get addressed later in the draft.

    I see Green in the same way I see Golson right now. I know there's unbelievable upside, but how can we count on it? We have to assume, at this point anyway, they are not options and would be a bonus for us if they become viable. Bryant is still an unknown, Coates is unknown, the rest of our WR corps failed to compete on the big stage. An upgrade at WR is a need too. RB is not a need. Depth at RB is. Is depth a first 3 round need? Debatable, but for the purpose of this thread, I'll go along with it.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Looking at NEED defensively.....DL we have Heyward, Hargraves, and Tuitt. LBs we have Harrison, Dupree, Shazier, and Timmons. CBs are Burns and Cockrell(not forgetting Gay). And Safety is Mitchell and Davis. IMO, the obvious glaring 'need' would be at the CB position. If not in the first 2 or 3 rounds, when should we target this need? Yes, we will need a replacement for Harrison too, but is that a glaring need going into next season? My guess is this is blatant misdirection, or we are retooling this offense. We do 'need' TE and WR. A backup to Bell is more crucial than Harrison's replacement this season, IMO too. So, if we went 3 offensive stud skill guys in the first 3 rounds, I don't think I could disagree with that.
    It's not just about the starting 11, it's about the depth that gets rotated in as well. OLB is a need because depth is severely lacking and there simply isn't enough quality pass rushers to rotate in. Besides, at 39, who knows how much longer Harrison can play for. He could very easily suffer a steep decline this season, so yeah OLB is a need, and a new addition at OLB is likely to get snaps. S is also a need based on depth. Mitchell is ok, but the team could use a true center-fielder at free safety

  22. #22
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It's not just about the starting 11, it's about the depth that gets rotated in as well. OLB is a need because depth is severely lacking and there simply isn't enough quality pass rushers to rotate in. Besides, at 39, who knows how much longer Harrison can play for. He could very easily suffer a steep decline this season, so yeah OLB is a need, and a new addition at OLB is likely to get snaps. S is also a need based on depth. Mitchell is ok, but the team could use a true center-fielder at free safety
    I'm completely on board with all that. Thread title is what I'm posting about. Just discussing what the thinking is if CB is off the table for 3 rounds. I also don't know about drafting for depth in the first 3 rounds. I've always been a BPA guy when it comes to rounds 1 and 2. Of course there should be some element of need, but every position can be upgraded and thus, quality depth is there as a by product of the upgrade. We do need pass rush help, we do need CB help, but what if....

  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Example....if the draft went as this article predicts, we could go Rd1 Curtis Samuel WR, Rd2 D'Onta Foreman RB, Rd3 Bucky Hodges TE. Rd 4-7 defensive needs and depth. Of course it's only saying no to the CB position, so could go with any other position. Just throwing out there, if we went with offensive star power those first 3 rounds, would that be so terrible?

  24. #24
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,802

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just throwing out there, if we went with offensive star power those first 3 rounds, would that be so terrible?
    I personally would be opposed, and it really comes down to positional value. Edge rusher is one of the most important positions to have in football and edge rusher is still a need based on depth. RB on the other hand has become markedly devalued and going for a no. 2 RB is not worth more than a 4th, especially with this deep of a class. WR, the team has had a lot of recent success at the position despite not drafting one in the first 2 rounds since 08 and none in the 1st since 06, and unless Martavis isn't coming back I don't see a pressing need at the position anyway. Not to mention you are talking about passing up a lot of defensive talent in the first 3 rounds that could have otherwise taken the defense to the next level (not just edge rusher but other positions as well), so yeah I would be personally opposed

  25. #25
    Member Array title="Rara is an unknown quantity at this point"> Rara's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    39

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Only free agency will tell us whether they go for a corner in the first three rounds or not.
    Rara's 2017 Mock Draft:Round 1: Takkarist McKinley, OLB; UCLA; Round 2: Jake Butt, TE; Michigan; Round 3: Zach Banner, OT; USC; Round 4: Isaiah Ford, WR; Virginia Tech; Round 5: Anthony Walker, ILB; Northwestern; Round 7: T.J. Logan, RB; North Carolina

  26. #26
    Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    8,800

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Example....if the draft went as this article predicts, we could go Rd1 Curtis Samuel WR, Rd2 D'Onta Foreman RB, Rd3 Bucky Hodges TE. Rd 4-7 defensive needs and depth. Of course it's only saying no to the CB position, so could go with any other position. Just throwing out there, if we went with offensive star power those first 3 rounds, would that be so terrible?
    Where would these player's snaps come from? Drafting like that would just be a bunch of wasted snaps sitting on the bench. The only reason for us to draft an offensive skill position player early is if they can boost our red zone efficiency. We ranked 16th in the league this season, and we were only a little bit better the season before. THAT is what is holding this offense back...well that and injuries/suspensions. We have no problem moving the ball between the 20's. Can't remember the last time we were actually a great team in the red zone
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.
    (Updated 3/19) Free Agent Wishlist: ILB Zach Brown, QB Josh McCown, RB Benny Cunningham, CB Alterraun Verner

    Mock Draft (Updated 3/22): 1st-ILB Haason Reddick, 2nd-CB Chidobie Awuzie, 3rd-TE Adam Shaheen, 3rd- RB Marlon Mack 4th-OLB Trey Hendrickson, 5th- WR Josh Reynolds, 6th- OLB Joe Mathis, 7th QB Josh Dobbs, UDFA: OLB Ejuan Price, SS Lorenzo Jerome, WR Jehu Chesson, TE Scott Orndoff

  27. #27
    Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    137

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    This year is interesting, there isn't a glaring need for any position honestly if one of the top 3 QBs slipped to 30 the Steelers would be crazy not to take QB. The CB position might as well be taken via Free agency and OLB is right at the top of the list as well, the defense blossomed toward the end of the season and that's very promising for next season. The Steelers are in position for BPA and if that happens to be a standout OLB/DE or someone in line to take a Ben's spot so be it, Colbert said in his press conference that the Steelers need to be in positionew to transition like Montana to Young or Favre to Rodgers. That statement should tell everyone that if the Steelers see a QB at 30 they will take him or possibly in the 2nd round as well

  28. #28

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    They need a successor to Harrison.




  29. #29
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    1,927

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Where would these player's snaps come from? Drafting like that would just be a bunch of wasted snaps sitting on the bench. The only reason for us to draft an offensive skill position player early is if they can boost our red zone efficiency. We ranked 16th in the league this season, and we were only a little bit better the season before. THAT is what is holding this offense back...well that and injuries/suspensions. We have no problem moving the ball between the 20's. Can't remember the last time we were actually a great team in the red zone
    OK. Good points. But where do those snaps go now? Do you not feel like each position can be upgraded? Who is our TE? Who backs up Bell? Who is our guaranteed #2 WR? WE have maybes at each of those spots, and each of those spots can use an upgrade. We had offensive struggles the entire season. If we can't upgrade that, we will continue to. Some blame coaching, and maybe some blame falls there, but Bryant let us down, as did Bell. Injuries are part of the game. We cannot count on Green playing one more snap at this point. How many concussions before it's permanent? Ben's not going to last forever either. We have to continue to build on both sides of the ball. We could go with OLB first, will he play ahead of James or Dupree? We go ILB who sits? Even if we went CB, he won't start a game til midseason most likely. There are always scenarios where guys come in before planned and are great(Sean Davis). But for any rookie coming in this season, where will the snaps come from? The easiest positions for rookies are where? RB? WR? TE? Pass rush specialist? That's about it. That's where we upgrade the fastest.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan is a name known to all">

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    348

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by WCSteeler View Post
    This year is interesting, there isn't a glaring need for any position
    Other than the fact the Steelers could not generate a pass rush in New England with an OLB who will be 39 years old and their presumed replacement for Willie Gay, who was torched in the Patriots game, is an undersized CB who has not made it to the regular season due to injuries the past 2 years.

    Steelers 9 game winning streak was nice but the quality of the QBs they played for those wins allowed defensive flaws to slide that Brady exposed. Since the Steelers possibly will be facing, in addition to Brady, Mariotta, Luck and/or Carr if they make the playoffs in 2017 I agree with the consensus that the top of the draft focuses on OLB and CB, followed by RB backup to Bell and WR since Bryant cannot be counted upon to stay clean.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •