Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 47 of 47

Thread: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    8,997

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    OK. Good points. But where do those snaps go now? Do you not feel like each position can be upgraded? Who is our TE? Who backs up Bell? Who is our guaranteed #2 WR? WE have maybes at each of those spots, and each of those spots can use an upgrade. We had offensive struggles the entire season. If we can't upgrade that, we will continue to. Some blame coaching, and maybe some blame falls there, but Bryant let us down, as did Bell. Injuries are part of the game. We cannot count on Green playing one more snap at this point. How many concussions before it's permanent? Ben's not going to last forever either. We have to continue to build on both sides of the ball. We could go with OLB first, will he play ahead of James or Dupree? We go ILB who sits? Even if we went CB, he won't start a game til midseason most likely. There are always scenarios where guys come in before planned and are great(Sean Davis). But for any rookie coming in this season, where will the snaps come from? The easiest positions for rookies are where? RB? WR? TE? Pass rush specialist? That's about it. That's where we upgrade the fastest.
    I agree with this. My post was more in response to the hypothetical situation you posed where we could go 3 offensive player in the 1st 3 rounds. I dont see why we would need to draft more than 1 in the 1st 3 rounds unless we really fall in love with Mahomes or something like that. If we add a great red zone target to the arsenal at tight end I would say that we're set. I'd love a backup RB as well but we can get some great ones later on and they arent a priority. Hell, we might have another red zone solution sitting on the roster right now in Karlos Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.
    Final Mock Draft: 1st-OLB TJ Watt, 2nd-S Josh Jones, 3rd-QB Brad Kaaya 3rd- CB Rasul Douglas 4th-RB Marlon Mack, 5th- CB Damontae Kazee 6th- OLB Javancy Jones, 7th WR Jehu Chesson, UDFA: ILB Ben Boulware, SS Tedric Thompson, TE Scott Orndoff, DT Patrick Gamble

    Desired Mock Draft: 1st-OLB TJ Watt, 2nd-S Jabrill Peppers, 3rd-TE Jake Butt, 3rd-RB Marlon Mack, 4th-CB Jourdan Lewis, 5th-CB Rasul Douglas, 6th-OLB Javancy Jones 7th-WR Jehu Chesson, UDFA: SS Tedric Thompson, ILB Ben Boulware, DE Ifeadi Odenigbo, QB Chad Kelly

  2. #32
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I agree with this. My post was more in response to the hypothetical situation you posed where we could go 3 offensive player in the 1st 3 rounds. I dont see why we would need to draft more than 1 in the 1st 3 rounds unless we really fall in love with Mahomes or something like that. If we add a great red zone target to the arsenal at tight end I would say that we're set. I'd love a backup RB as well but we can get some great ones later on and they arent a priority. Hell, we might have another red zone solution sitting on the roster right now in Karlos Williams
    Yep. I don't want to go 3 offensive players 1st 3 rounds, but I'm willing to do it if we are truly getting playmakers that upgrade our team. There are some good DBs, LBs, and NTs that should be available later rounds as well. Just wanted to make the point that this draft has a ton of talent. The position order of importance has to be fluid to the players available at our pick. If the 1st round has a run on edge players, we could get another playmaker on offense and see who's there at 62. Personally, I would love to get another #1/#2 WR so we don't have to worry about that position any longer.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    I really want an OLB.

    But, if we got a TE, a true #2 WR, and a QB for the future... I wouldn't cry myself to sleep.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    8,997

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I really want an OLB.

    But, if we got a TE, a true #2 WR, and a QB for the future... I wouldn't cry myself to sleep.
    I could make due with this if we did something in free agency say...sign Captain Munnerlyn or Nolan Carroll to man the slot corner spot incase Gay continues to decline/Golson cant stay healthy AND sign Nick Perry. Replacing Mike Mitchell would be nice too...his cap hit is going to be over $8 million this upcoming season. Yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.
    Final Mock Draft: 1st-OLB TJ Watt, 2nd-S Josh Jones, 3rd-QB Brad Kaaya 3rd- CB Rasul Douglas 4th-RB Marlon Mack, 5th- CB Damontae Kazee 6th- OLB Javancy Jones, 7th WR Jehu Chesson, UDFA: ILB Ben Boulware, SS Tedric Thompson, TE Scott Orndoff, DT Patrick Gamble

    Desired Mock Draft: 1st-OLB TJ Watt, 2nd-S Jabrill Peppers, 3rd-TE Jake Butt, 3rd-RB Marlon Mack, 4th-CB Jourdan Lewis, 5th-CB Rasul Douglas, 6th-OLB Javancy Jones 7th-WR Jehu Chesson, UDFA: SS Tedric Thompson, ILB Ben Boulware, DE Ifeadi Odenigbo, QB Chad Kelly

  5. #35
    Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    134

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Wont Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Other than the fact the Steelers could not generate a pass rush in New England with an OLB who will be 39 years old and their presumed replacement for Willie Gay, who was torched in the Patriots game, is an undersized CB who has not made it to the regular season due to injuries the past 2 years.

    Steelers 9 game winning streak was nice but the quality of the QBs they played for those wins allowed defensive flaws to slide that Brady exposed. Since the Steelers possibly will be facing, in addition to Brady, Mariotta, Luck and/or Carr if they make the playoffs in 2017 I agree with the consensus that the top of the draft focuses on OLB and CB, followed by RB backup to Bell and WR since Bryant cannot be counted upon to stay clean.
    Excellent post! The bolded points perfectly encapsulates why it is very likely the Steelers will address OLB and CB in the first 3 rounds. Your point about the defense being exposed once it faced a premier QB is particularly salient as it highlights just how important it is for Pittsburgh to fix the OLB position if it is to ever overcome New England.

    CB is also a position of need second in importance only to OLB as the decline of Gay, uncertainty of Golson and release of Gilbert has left it precariously thin. While it cannot be said with absolute certainty that OLB and CB will be selected in the early rounds, it would be extremely surprising if Pittsburgh did not go in that direction.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a brilliant future">

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    642

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    I never was high on cockrell...i think he became a liability down the stretch

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Neither is Dulac

    Gerry Dulac: Ross Cockrell is a solid player, a guy who can be a starter if necessary but not a bonafide play-maker or difference maker. If Golson were healthy, he would be the other starting CB in 2017. But that’s a big if right now...


    And Dulac now is not sold on Golson either

    Steelers really need another good young corner. I understand that OLB might be a bigger need but an upgrade in secondary is paramount. I wouldn’t count on Golson. Thoughts?

    Gerry Dulac: You’re not wrong. At this point, Golson is only going to be a bonus. By that I mean, if he can come back and contribute after missing two years the Steelers will be satisfied. Because, right now, they are not sure that can happen, especially coming off a Lisfranc foot injury

    So it looks like Dulac now is coming around to the view CB is a need in the draft

    The Steelers have said missing 2 years they’re not sure about Golson so does drafting a CB early make sense now in the draft?


    Gerry Dulac:
    Sure it makes sense. Won’t surprise me if its on day 2 of the draft. But it’s not more of a priority than OLB.... To me, the biggest area of need is OLB. After that, because of the uncertainty of Golson, I’d say CB.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201702220174

  7. #37
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    4,560

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Wont Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    The Steelers need an OLB and a CB.

    The two two deepest positions in this draft are OLB and CB.

    R1: BAP
    R2: OLB
    R3: CB

  8. #38
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    I'm starting to come around to almost throwing "need" out the window. I realize that no team can do that completely, as you need to be able to field a functional team and manage the roster as well as the cap - but hear me out a bit.

    I'm not certain "locking" on to positional needs per round is the best approach. Say in Round 1, the top 6 CBs, top 5 OLBs, and top 3 TEs are off the board. Why start dipping in to "second tier" guys at that position is the top ILB is on the board? Or, hell, even a top QB? Can work the same logic all the way through the draft.

    I am aware that the Falcons just went to a SB with important rookie contributors at all levels of the defense. But I still really believe that even "elite" defensive prospects have a 1+ season time to impact. So I seriously doubt anyone drafted in 2017 will be a "missing piece" for a 2017 SB run. But they could contribute to a 2018 or future championship caliber team.

    Long story short, I want the player, in each round, that will be the best over the course of that rookie deal not solely in 2017. Remember Polamalu did not look like a generational first ballot HOF'er his rookie year.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm starting to come around to almost throwing "need" out the window. I realize that no team can do that completely, as you need to be able to field a functional team and manage the roster as well as the cap - but hear me out a bit.

    I'm not certain "locking" on to positional needs per round is the best approach. Say in Round 1, the top 6 CBs, top 5 OLBs, and top 3 TEs are off the board. Why start dipping in to "second tier" guys at that position is the top ILB is on the board? Or, hell, even a top QB? Can work the same logic all the way through the draft.

    I am aware that the Falcons just went to a SB with important rookie contributors at all levels of the defense. But I still really believe that even "elite" defensive prospects have a 1+ season time to impact. So I seriously doubt anyone drafted in 2017 will be a "missing piece" for a 2017 SB run. But they could contribute to a 2018 or future championship caliber team.

    Long story short, I want the player, in each round, that will be the best over the course of that rookie deal not solely in 2017. Remember Polamalu did not look like a generational first ballot HOF'er his rookie year.

    I agree.

    Most teams make their biggest mistakes when they draft for need and reach for a player. We see it all the time, particularly when it involves finding a quarterback.

    There's nothing wrong with taking a player at a position of need if he is rated very high on your big board and deserving of a pick that high when you take him. However, if the Steelers pick #30 and draft an OLB that they have rated as the eighth best OLB and the #58 player overall on their board because it's a position of need...it would be a mistake.

    I'm sure it's a problem that all teams wrestle with. Hell, I do the same thing sitting in my chair at home watching the draft.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    I have always been a BPA 1st round guy. I'll even go BPA first 2 rounds with a deep enough draft board. And I happen to believe this year has one of those boards. My thinking is, best case scenario, we have AB, and Bryant, both healthy and playing POY good. Just so happens we ended up drafting a WR in round 1 or 2 that is playing at near the same level. Whether it's depth or 3 wide, it's worlds better than we had it this year. Instant upgrade. That is what the first round is to me. Or, worse case scenario, no Bryant again, and AB is nursing an injury. 1st rd draft pick give a legit threat in the passing game and we look like last season rather than taking a big step back. If you are not growing, you are dying, same with NFL rosters.

  11. #41

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    What has Golson shown on the NFL level that makes him better than Cockrell? Nothing. How Dulac can make that statement is just poor "reporting".




  12. #42
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I agree.

    Most teams make their biggest mistakes when they draft for need and reach for a player. We see it all the time, particularly when it involves finding a quarterback.

    There's nothing wrong with taking a player at a position of need if he is rated very high on your big board and deserving of a pick that high when you take him. However, if the Steelers pick #30 and draft an OLB that they have rated as the eighth best OLB and the #58 player overall on their board because it's a position of need...it would be a mistake.

    I'm sure it's a problem that all teams wrestle with. Hell, I do the same thing sitting in my chair at home watching the draft.
    Yeah, I'm sure I'm not identifying a new thing. It seems like each year, I start believing wackier things about the draft. This year my "new" (at least to me) idea is that QBs are next to impossible to find. They also seem to have the highest percentages of incorrect scouting and projections. To combat that, I would take one every year. Worst case is you're cutting a draft pick at the end of every training camp. On good teams that happens anyways. Best case, you've either got your QB succession plan or a player that can be converted into a future high round draft pick.

    For instance, if I was Colbert, I'm walking out of the draft with one of Mahomes, Kelly, or Peterman. My franchise QB is old and increasingly fragile. My back-up options are mediocre at best. The FA QB market is a yearly parade of never-was guys, cast offs, and veterans eating of that one good 3 game stretch they had 5 years ago.

  13. #43
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What has Golson shown on the NFL level that makes him better than Cockrell? Nothing. How Dulac can make that statement is just poor "reporting".

    He's so poor at corner, that the team had him follow the best receiver from several teams all over the field this year, some of them are among the best WR's in the NFL. Clearly he is not starter quality.

    I'm not saying he's Rod Woodson, but this is the idiocy of many in the media just trying to sound like they know something. It's amazing how much better the cornerbacks looked when they were getting pressure on the quarterback.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure I'm not identifying a new thing. It seems like each year, I start believing wackier things about the draft. This year my "new" (at least to me) idea is that QBs are next to impossible to find. They also seem to have the highest percentages of incorrect scouting and projections. To combat that, I would take one every year. Worst case is you're cutting a draft pick at the end of every training camp. On good teams that happens anyways. Best case, you've either got your QB succession plan or a player that can be converted into a future high round draft pick.

    For instance, if I was Colbert, I'm walking out of the draft with one of Mahomes, Kelly, or Peterman. My franchise QB is old and increasingly fragile. My back-up options are mediocre at best. The FA QB market is a yearly parade of never-was guys, cast offs, and veterans eating of that one good 3 game stretch they had 5 years ago.

    That's interesting about drafting a quarterback every year.

    You're right about better teams cutting draft picks. The Steelers did it for years when they were loaded. The thing is, they are almost in that position now. They have a great QB. The offensive line is very good and pretty deep. The WR's are great when healthy and sober. The RB's are great. The DL is very good and young. The LB's and secondary are close. A big-time pass rushing OLB, another good young CB, and a ball hawking safety will really fill out the roster. After that, they really do have the ability to take luxury picks at positions that aren't an immediate need.

  15. #45
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a brilliant future">

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    642

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Dulac repudiates his previous position that CB will not be a draft priority

    Dulac in his February 15 chat 2 weeks ago

    Gerry Dulac: What I said is cornerback is not a priority, not like the past 2 seasons. And just like last season, the Steelers view Golson as a second No. 2 draft pick for 2017. That doesn't mean they won't draft a cornerback, but it won't be in the first two or three rounds. It's more likely they will draft a safety before a corner.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201702150167

    Dulac in his chat today

    In their first four picks what do the steelers take? I say, in no particular order, OLB, CB, RB, CB

    Gerry Dulac: I think you have most of it right. I think it will be OLB, CB, WR, RB. Another CB or safety wouldn't surprise me. They have four picks in the first three rounds.

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201703020186

    I think it is time for the P-G to move on from Gerry Dulac

  16. #46
    Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a brilliant future">

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    642

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Not when it comes to handing out draft info. He's pretty reliable during this time of season.

    He was wrong on the CB talk, and seems like he knows that.
    If he is so reliable how can he miss something that pretty much everyone on this board (including you )said was wrong as soon as he said it 2 weeks ago and that he now admits was wrong?

    I am just a fan and even I knew that CB would be a priority after the latest Patriots debacle

    But I do not report on football for a living.

    The internet allows access to more information in general and other newspapers in particular. I read the Kansas City Star the week before the Chiefs game and the difference in the level of detail between the Star's pregame analysis and what Gerry Dulac prepared for that game was astonishing.

    Chiefs game plan - Scouting the Pittsburgh Steelers (12-5)

    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article126012614.html

    Gerry Dulac's scouting report: Steelers vs. Chiefs, AFC divisional round

    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...-report-1.html

    Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette have been at this for a long time at the P-G. I think their work could pass back in the day when fans only had access to the print edition of the P-G for Steelers news. But now it often looks like it is more or less being mailed in when you see what is available from not only the the national sites but what is being generated locally in comparable markets such as Kansas City or what I read in the Baltimore Sun during Ravens week.

  17. #47
    Senior Member
    Array title="BurghBoy412 is a name known to all"> BurghBoy412's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Colorado by way of West View, PA
    Gender
    Posts
    709

    Re: Dulac: Steelers Won’t Draft A CB In First Two Or Three Rounds

    If Ross Cockrell is starting next season. I believe its going to be much of the same folks. Not to mention the liability that William Gay presents. I've got to wonder how many of the other 31 teams these two would start for???

    - - - Updated - - -

    If Ross Cockrell is starting next season. I believe its going to be much of the same folks. Not to mention the liability that William Gay presents. I've got to wonder how many of the other 31 teams these two would start for??? Have we learned anything at all from the wallop in Foxborough? The secondary needs to be drastically upgraded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •