Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

He should have had both his hand transplanted also. What's going on in Groinburgh?

In addition to offseason surgery to fix his broken fingers,
    Sammie Coates says he recently underwent surgery on his groin. He announced it on Twitter Monday evening.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02...surgery-groin/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

He would probably do better if he tried catching with his groin.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

that definitely explains the bad hands
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just for the hell of it, you guys should pull up Coates' highlight reel from Auburn. He didn't have an issue catching back then. Not sure what's going on now but looks like a different guy.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just for the hell of it, you guys should pull up Coates' highlight reel from Auburn. He didn't have an issue catching back then. Not sure what's going on now but looks like a different guy.
    Well the weaknesses listed here looks & sounds like the Sammie Coates we have.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...tes?id=2552470

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Highlight reels don't show drops. Yes, he had problems catching in college. I believe I remember reading he had something like a 20% drop rate.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You know how people wonder what would've happened if Limas Sweed had actually been able to stay on the field on a regular basis? This is probably about it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

It's a highlight reel bro. Why would they show his drops?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Gotta be the bad teeth

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    He would probably do better if he tried catching with his groin.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Yeah he's got to keep his hands low in protect mode!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    It's a highlight reel bro. Why would they show his drops?
    I get that. My point was watch him make the catch. He was a big time receiver in college. I don't remember a lot of drops. I didn't watch all, or a whole season worth of Auburn games, but I did watch more than a few. Coates was the man, the goto guy. If you look at the highlights you see him in double or triple coverage every time. I don't think I'm making up memories here. I'm not even an Auburn fan.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I get that. My point was watch him make the catch. He was a big time receiver in college. I don't remember a lot of drops. I didn't watch all, or a whole season worth of Auburn games, but I did watch more than a few. Coates was the man, the goto guy. If you look at the highlights you see him in double or triple coverage every time. I don't think I'm making up memories here. I'm not even an Auburn fan.
    He was a awesome deep threat for Auburn and take it to the house. I believe the knock on him coming out of the draft he misses the easy catches. Ps.when Ben was hooking up with him early on this season, Ben under thrown him most times that would have be long td's instead of 40 yard gains. Either work though.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

SEC defenses vs NFL.

I don't want Coates or any of our draft picks to fail. But Coates is going on year 3 and has not improved imo at all on his pre draft analysis. I suppose the Steelers will let him play out his rookie contract then flush.

WEAKNESSES

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It used to be "Year 3" was the breakout for college WRs. We've been spoiled that so many kids hit the NFL ready to roll now. I think if Coates hadn't gotten hurt this season we would be having a totally different conversation right now. I expect a major bounceback from him. However, I do agree with Shoes, that Coates will likely always be a bit flawed as a WR.

But what do I know? I was a Limas Sweed cheer-leader also.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Coates did more in the early part of this year before the injury, than Sweed did in his entire career.

He has also done way more than many of the receivers fans have fallen in love with over several decades. That won't stop them from calling for his head and mocking and insulting him until he is gone or loses all confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Coates did more in the early part of this year before the injury, than Sweed did in his entire career.

He has also done way more than many of the receivers fans have fallen in love with over several decades. That won't stop them from calling for his head and mocking and insulting him until he is gone or loses all confidence.
    If Sammie Coates or any other NFL player loses all confidence because of what fans say they are in the wrong business. They are paid huge amounts of money to stay in shape and play a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don't want Coates or any of our draft picks to fail. But Coates is going on year 3 and has not improved imo at all on his pre draft analysis. I suppose the Steelers will let him play out his rookie contract then flush.

WEAKNESSES

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.
    I posted this same thing in another thread back during the season. I was very frustrated with how he had been playing. This was before his hand injury though I think. Not completely sure. Anyway, I feel pretty much the same as you. Next season is his time to make positive strides or find a spot on a different roster.

I posted this same thing in another thread back during the season. I was very frustrated with how he had been playing. This was before his hand injury though I think. Not completely sure. Anyway, I feel pretty much the same as you. Next season is his time to make positive strides or find a spot on a different roster.

Agreed! And I hope he makes it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

If Sammie Coates or any other NFL player loses all confidence because of what fans say they are in the wrong business. They are paid huge amounts of money to stay in shape and play a game.

It still doesn't change the fact that many Steelers fans have mini orgasms about players that don't have half the talent Coates does. They catch 3 passes and we have to hear how promising that player is and how hard they are rooting for that player. Coates actually tears it up on the field with huge production before the injury, but the same fans that have mini orgasms over stiffs turn on the talented player and want him tossed from the moving team bus after struggling with multiple broken fingers.

It's ridiculous.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Come on! Cobi Hamilton is going to be a star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It still doesn't change the fact that many Steelers fans have mini orgasms about players that don't have half the talent Coates does. They catch 3 passes and we have to hear how promising that player is and how hard they are rooting for that player. Coates actually tears it up on the field with huge production before the injury, but the same fans that have mini orgasms over stiffs turn on the talented player and want him tossed from the moving team bus after struggling with multiple broken fingers.

It's ridiculous.
    One needs more than talent. No question Coates has that, but he lacks the inner drive and tools imo. That makes him equal to the players Steeler fans have mini orgasms over because those players are playing with guts and grit,minus a higher level of talent.
    Coates had nearly a 20% drop rate in college, with no injuries. According to this article, as of 1-4-17 he lead the NFL, dropping 25% of targets. I'll give him 5-10% for his injury and he's still at about same level as he was in school, 15-20% drop rate. Thats part of my beef with him, the others are listed above, which haven't change either. I don't believe most are fixable, but I would be delighted to be wrong and really wish him great success.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01...sammie-coates/

One needs more than talent. No question Coates has that, but he lacks the inner drive and tools imo. That makes him equal to the players Steeler fans have mini orgasms over because those players are playing with guts and grit,minus a higher level of talent.
    Coates had nearly a 20% drop rate in college, with no injuries. According to this article, as of 1-4-17 he lead the NFL, dropping 25% of targets. I'll give him 5-10% for his injury and he's still at about same level as he was in school, 15-20% drop rate. Thats part of my beef with him, the others are listed above, which haven't change either. I don't believe most are fixable, but I would be delighted to be wrong and really wish him great success.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/01...sammie-coates/

I know you wish him the best and hope he improves, but hear me out.

I think his inner drive is fine. In the preseason, everyone associated with the team raved at how hard he worked in the off season to prepare, and how hard he worked all through camp. I just don't like when people question the heart of players when they really have no idea.

He's the #4 WR.

They have a young #4 WR that scares the hell out of opposing defenses because he stretches the field and makes huge plays....so fans want to get rid of him?

It makes no sense. People are overreacting because they are emotionally invested.

I'll say it again....He's the #4 receiver. Other teams would kill for that luxury. It's just that he was forced to play a huge role because Bryant was suspended and Wheaton was injured the entire year.

The guy doesn't deserve the crap he's getting from emotional Steelers fans.

This from many of the same fans that love DHB because he plays special teams.

Coates also plays special teams and he played hurt, but he gets no credit for toughing it out for the team. DHB gets hurt at the end of the year and doesn't play...but he has heart and inner drive?

Does this explain better why I support him and believe fans should be happy to have him?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

BREAKING NEWS!!! Mike Tomlin to undergo groin surgey as well. Bad play calling in AFC Championship game due to groin pain.

I think one of the hidden take-aways from this thread is that after the Steelers sort out AB, Timmons, and Bell - they should be able to see what they have left in terms of Cap $$$. At that point someone needs to call Wheaton's agent.

Both curious AND a bit lazy. What is the average drop rate by a WR in the NFL? I know guys like Rice never dropped a pass, but I'm talking about the average WR. Just curious where that number matches with Coates. Is he really 'bad', or just average. And since we had high hopes he seems worse than average.

Both curious AND a bit lazy. What is the average drop rate by a WR in the NFL? I know guys like Rice never dropped a pass, but I'm talking about the average WR. Just curious where that number matches with Coates. Is he really 'bad', or just average. And since we had high hopes he seems worse than average.
    Looking at this chart http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../receiving.htm it seems that a serviceable "deep threat" WR catches between 52-60% of their targets. Elite guys like AB and Julio catch 60-70+%.

Coates caught 21/49 for 42.9%. So five more passes and he gains the 10% needed to be right there with other comparable #2-#3 deep ball guys. 9 more catches and he is the low end of the more dominant guys in the league. So we are talking about less than one more catch per game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

5 more passes and the Steelers could possibly be sitting on a 7th Super Bowl Trophy....just saying...those "drops" shouldn't be taken lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    5 more passes and the Steelers could possibly be sitting on a 7th Super Bowl Trophy....just saying...those "drops" shouldn't be taken lightly.
    Very true. I'm not arguing to just dismiss it as not a big deal. But wanted to point out that for a dude with jacked up fingers and a broken groin, Coates is not that far from having a big time impact.

For me, more than the drops, it is running a full NFL route tree. He can't really be integrated into the full offense, because all he does is run go and post routes.