Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Now you're just making stuff up. He was awesome in training camp, came to the team in great shape, and everyone in the organization and all the people outside of the Steelers were saying he might have a big year because he looked great. Tomlin made many comments about how hard he worked in the offseason to prepare, and how hard he was working in camp. Come on man....

Here are some articles for you to look over.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...camp-practice/

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/04/ste...-kevin-colbert

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...es-camp-season

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201608090059

Before you say I'm making things up, get your year right. Coates wasted his first year. I said in post 35 he made progress in his conditioning in year two. The progress I'm speaking of are these.

1. Unreliable target
    2. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field.
    3. Doesn't play with extended catch radius
    Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent
    Vertical receiver without vertical feel
    Inconsistent play speed.
    Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into overthrows.
    Suspect ball tracking.
    Must improve at using body to ward off defenders.
    Inconsistent with contested catches.
    Stiff hips and limited route runner.
    Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Happens every year with all kinds of picks. This was without even trying on the Google machines:

"Jackson believes that there is a level of conditioning specific to the NFL." --- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...o-get-in-shape

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/05/07/minicamps -- ""These guys thought they were practicing hard," head coach Jim Schwartz said of the Lions' rookies last weekend. "Our pace is generally three times as fast as what these guys were going through. . . . They didn't really have a feeling of where they need to be to be in shape. They think they're in good shape, and they have no idea once they get here."

2015-2016 Steeler draft. Coates is the only one to come into camp so out of shape that he was benched. Its not common.

Dupree

Golson

Coates

Grant

James

Chickillo

Holliman

Burns

Davis

Hargrave

Hawkins

Feeney

Ayers

Matakevich

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    2015-2016 Steeler draft. Coates is the only one to come into camp so out of shape that he was benched. Its not common.
    "Dupree focused on his conditioning in the offseason, shedding 20 pounds from his 6-foot-4 frame to weigh closer to 250 pounds now. “That will help,” Dupree said. “I feel like I just wanted to be light for the conditioning aspect, so I can play a lot more plays. You can always keep getting in better shape from a conditioning aspect. Being heavy, I felt like I got tired more.”" -- http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/08/2...season-in-nfl/

Tomlin on guys coming in to camp their second year "All second-year guys, all have done a lap around the track, all got a basic understanding of how important conditioning is. And I think the weight is reflective of that.” -- http://www.steelers.com/news/article...8-917105b0af37

Tomlin contrasting Davis against typically rookies " “He’s one of the few rookies that I’ve seen that really kind of looks like he’s come prepared from a conditioning standpoint. So it’s not a knock against the others, it’s really a tip of the cap to him and i think that’s the first place that allows him to grow and take extra reps.” -- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08...ty-sean-davis/

"But when these rooks show up for camp, many of them are still in testing shape. And that can lead to heavy legs throughout practice, poor conditioning on the field and even some soft tissue injuries. Plus, with the number of pre-draft visits these prospects take during April, their workout routine stalls, or even comes to a complete stop. There is a big difference in terms of functional conditioning that can be used on the practice field versus the training to run a 40-yard dash. Part of the transition to the league." -- http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ll-puking-norm

“I don't feel like I played to my best ability, to be honest,” Williams said via Darryl Slater of NJ.com. “I think part of it is just conditioning." -- http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/n...ormance-091415

"Dupree focused on his conditioning in the offseason, shedding 20 pounds from his 6-foot-4 frame to weigh closer to 250 pounds now. “That will help,” Dupree said. “I feel like I just wanted to be light for the conditioning aspect, so I can play a lot more plays. You can always keep getting in better shape from a conditioning aspect. Being heavy, I felt like I got tired more.”" -- http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/08/2...season-in-nfl/

Tomlin on guys coming in to camp their second year "All second-year guys, all have done a lap around the track, all got a basic understanding of how important conditioning is. And I think the weight is reflective of that.” -- http://www.steelers.com/news/article...8-917105b0af37

Tomlin contrasting Davis against typically rookies " “He’s one of the few rookies that I’ve seen that really kind of looks like he’s come prepared from a conditioning standpoint. So it’s not a knock against the others, it’s really a tip of the cap to him and i think that’s the first place that allows him to grow and take extra reps.” -- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08...ty-sean-davis/

"But when these rooks show up for camp, many of them are still in testing shape. And that can lead to heavy legs throughout practice, poor conditioning on the field and even some soft tissue injuries. Plus, with the number of pre-draft visits these prospects take during April, their workout routine stalls, or even comes to a complete stop. There is a big difference in terms of functional conditioning that can be used on the practice field versus the training to run a 40-yard dash. Part of the transition to the league." -- http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ll-puking-norm

“I don't feel like I played to my best ability, to be honest,” Williams said via Darryl Slater of NJ.com. “I think part of it is just conditioning." -- http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/n...ormance-091415

What was Coates doing before training camp?He sure as hell wasn't in *testing shape* All of these players were in shape, it doesn't mean they didn't need more or better conditioning. I don't recall Tomlin benching any rookie but Coates, do you?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

What was Coates doing before training camp?He sure as hell wasn't in *testing shape* All of these players were in shape, it doesn't mean they didn't need more or better conditioning. I don't recall Tomlin benching any rookie but Coates, do you?
    i find it interesting that you arent addressing a lot of the valid points being made. i also find it interesting that you are so centrally focused on Coates rookie campaign when most are looking towards his future potential. Coates has much more recently been in good physical condition according to sources that actually interact with him regularly. He has also much more recently than his rookie season, displayed production when healthy. Beat writers are even confirming that he hasn't even gotten surgery yet. Lets see what healthy, full season Sammie Coates can do. Because a lot of us were damn impressed by what he did in 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i find it interesting that you arent addressing a lot of the valid points being made. i also find it interesting that you are so centrally focused on Coates rookie campaign when most are looking towards his future potential. Coates has much more recently been in good physical condition according to sources that actually interact with him regularly. He has also much more recently than his rookie season, displayed production when healthy. Beat writers are even confirming that he hasn't even gotten surgery yet. Lets see what healthy, full season Sammie Coates can do. Because a lot of us were damn impressed by what he did in 5.

I honestly haven't seen any valid points. Again, I said and understand his conditioning was better in year 2, but he didn't show to me any consistent improvement in his bio. I said before I'd give him until his rookie contract was up. I think Coates rookie campaign has a lot to do with the lack of improvement. With the game on the line, I sure as hell don't want Ben throwing the ball to Coates. That is unless he makes a big turn around in the next year or two.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't recall Tomlin benching Coates. I'm sure it happened. I just don't remember because I figure all rookies are out of shape at some level and most are far from ready to make meaningful contributions in the NFL.

Point is that Corey Coleman got called out for being out of shape this year. It happens to multiple rookies each draft class across the league. I have provided more than enough evidence to back that up.

Coates had a conditioning issue his first year in the pros. Lots of guys do. Coates, to his credit, got that cleaned up in year two. Came out of the gate smoking. Putting up better WR #2 #'s than anyone else has recently for the Black and Gold. Then it all went off the rails.

You see a player who has made little to no improvement due to a lazy streak. I see a player who will always have significant flaws as a WR (there is reason he was there in the 3rd) but worked to get better and then a combination of injuries and poor performance sapped his physical abilities and his confidence.

If Coates can rehab and derive some mental lessons from his 2016 campaign, then he should continue to develop into a secondary weapon for the offense.

Hell, at least he gets to practice and suit up. More than we can say for Bryant?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The first 5 games this past season, Coates was a beast. If that's coming in out of shape and being lazy, then I hope he never changes. I get the frustration, I really do, but the man plays WR and had broken fingers, and now we find out he also had a torn groin. I think maybe just a little more credit should be given to him. Wheaton spent the season injured, Bryant was suspended, and the rest were activated from PS. I still want a true #2 WR, but Coates went above and beyond, IMO.

I don't recall Tomlin benching Coates. I'm sure it happened. I just don't remember because I figure all rookies are out of shape at some level and most are far from ready to make meaningful contributions in the NFL.

Point is that Corey Coleman got called out for being out of shape this year. It happens to multiple rookies each draft class across the league. I have provided more than enough evidence to back that up.

Coates had a conditioning issue his first year in the pros. Lots of guys do. Coates, to his credit, got that cleaned up in year two. Came out of the gate smoking. Putting up better WR #2 #'s than anyone else has recently for the Black and Gold. Then it all went off the rails.

You see a player who has made little to no improvement due to a lazy streak. I see a player who will always have significant flaws as a WR (there is reason he was there in the 3rd) but worked to get better and then a combination of injuries and poor performance sapped his physical abilities and his confidence.

If Coates can rehab and derive some mental lessons from his 2016 campaign, then he should continue to develop into a secondary weapon for the offense.

Hell, at least he gets to practice and suit up. More than we can say for Bryant?
    No you haven't, there is a difference in not being in top NFL shape and spending your first year living in street cloths as a #3 pick, wasting your first year in the NFL. I don't think that happens to multiple R3 pick across the league.

Tomlin more than benched him. Coates was in street cloths for eight regular season games & another postseason game. He didn't get off the bench in two other regular season games and only caught one pass in the reg season.. Now the issue here is more than being out of shape. Coates signed a 4 year $2,911,515 with a 631,515 signing bonus and comes to camp overweight and tired. Now, I said he came in year 2 in better shape but did not see much improvement in his game. I hope I will this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The first 5 games this past season, Coates was a beast. If that's coming in out of shape and being lazy, then I hope he never changes. I get the frustration, I really do, but the man plays WR and had broken fingers, and now we find out he also had a torn groin. I think maybe just a little more credit should be given to him. Wheaton spent the season injured, Bryant was suspended, and the rest were activated from PS. I still want a true #2 WR, but Coates went above and beyond, IMO.
    As I said about 3 or 4 times now, Coates was in better shape in year 2. He hasn't earned a penny of his money yet imo. When he does, I'll be delighted to say so.

No you haven't, there is a difference in not being in top NFL shape and spending your first year living in street cloths as a #3 pick, wasting your first year in the NFL. I don't think that happens to multiple R3 pick across the league.

Tomlin more than benched him. Coates was in street cloths for eight regular season games & another postseason game. He didn't get off the bench in two other regular season games and only caught one pass in the reg season.. Now the issue here is more than being out of shape. Coates signed a 4 year $2,911,515 with a 631,515 signing bonus and comes to camp overweight and tired. Now, I said he came in year 2 in better shape but did not see much improvement in his game. I hope I will this year.

Was that all due to conditioning issues or, I suspect this is the case, the make-up of the 53 active players each Sunday. With AB, Bryant, Wheaton, DHB as the four active WRs for almost every game - where was Coates gonna play if they did give him a hat?

Is Coates a flawed WR? Yes - kind of the exact same way that DHB is a flawed WR. Lazy? Going to have to do better than a rookie who was inactive for most of the season on a team that had depth at the position.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

As I said about 3 or 4 times now, Coates was in better shape in year 2. He hasn't earned a penny of his money yet imo. When he does, I'll be delighted to say so.
    That is not for you to say. You are perfectly welcome to have an opposing opinion, but so is everyone else. Coates came to camp his rookie season out of shape. So What? Seems to be the response. He played great in season2 then suffered injuries that depleted his ability to play the position. Even what little he was able to do, after finding out about broken fingers and torn groin, is damn impressive, and above what he is paid to do. Yes, we are frustrated with his production after the first 5 games. But with hindsight, we see he was far from 100 percent. A little patience is what some of us are willing to give. Next season will tell the tale. Can we just draft a true #2 and be done with this?

Was that all due to conditioning issues or, I suspect this is the case, the make-up of the 53 active players each Sunday. With AB, Bryant, Wheaton, DHB as the four active WRs for almost every game - where was Coates gonna play if they did give him a hat?

Is Coates a flawed WR? Yes - kind of the exact same way that DHB is a flawed WR. Lazy? Going to have to do better than a rookie who was inactive for most of the season on a team that had depth at the position.
    According to Haley it was..

"It was clear he wasn't ready to have an impact on us," Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley says in retrospect. "The first part of the year was rough. He wasn't near in the condition he needed to be in, and he probably thought he was in decent shape."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-success-story

According to Haley it was..

"It was clear he wasn't ready to have an impact on us," Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley says in retrospect. "The first part of the year was rough. He wasn't near in the condition he needed to be in, and he probably thought he was in decent shape."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-success-story
    ANd it sounds like that stopped real quick like -- "He's the perfect example of putting in the work and having it pay off," Heyward-Bey says. "He's a totally different person from Day 1."

Runs better routes -- "Listen, overnight, he's not going to be the best route-runner in the world," Roethlisberger says. "That's just not the way it works. But you can see the growth. You can see the changes. He used to get real wild and flail at the top of his route, which keyed DBs on when he was going to start breaking. He's tightened it up and made it harder to know when he is going to break. You can see he's more compact at the top of his route."

Coates says he caught at least 100 passes a day from his new jugs machine. His catching ability remains a work in progress—his drop rate is 14.3 percent this year, according to Pro Football Focus—but it has improved.

About three-quarters through the season, it started to come together for Coates. No one saw it except for his coaches and teammates—and people like Batch who were allowed around the team—but he started lighting up practices.

None of those quotes from the really cool article you linked seem to paint the picture of a lazy or not dedicated player. They paint the picture of a player who had zero idea about how to be a pro when they came to the NFL. This is a VERY familiar story with college WRs.

Coates most likely is never going to be an "elite" or "top-end" NFL WR. But I bet he can be totally useful 2nd or 3rd option.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That is not for you to say. You are perfectly welcome to have an opposing opinion, but so is everyone else. Coates came to camp his rookie season out of shape. So What? Seems to be the response. He played great in season2 then suffered injuries that depleted his ability to play the position. Even what little he was able to do, after finding out about broken fingers and torn groin, is damn impressive, and above what he is paid to do. Yes, we are frustrated with his production after the first 5 games. But with hindsight, we see he was far from 100 percent. A little patience is what some of us are willing to give. Next season will tell the tale. Can we just draft a true #2 and be done with this?
    Or can the combine and draft get here . I'm willing to have a little patience with hard workers, Coates doesn't fit that mold yet imo. But like I said, I'll give him a bit of rope until his contract is up.

ANd it sounds like that stopped real quick like -- "He's the perfect example of putting in the work and having it pay off," Heyward-Bey says. "He's a totally different person from Day 1."

Runs better routes -- "Listen, overnight, he's not going to be the best route-runner in the world," Roethlisberger says. "That's just not the way it works. But you can see the growth. You can see the changes. He used to get real wild and flail at the top of his route, which keyed DBs on when he was going to start breaking. He's tightened it up and made it harder to know when he is going to break. You can see he's more compact at the top of his route."

Coates says he caught at least 100 passes a day from his new jugs machine. His catching ability remains a work in progress—his drop rate is 14.3 percent this year, according to Pro Football Focus—but it has improved.

About three-quarters through the season, it started to come together for Coates. No one saw it except for his coaches and teammates—and people like Batch who were allowed around the team—but he started lighting up practices.

None of those quotes from the really cool article you linked seem to paint the picture of a lazy or not dedicated player. They paint the picture of a player who had zero idea about how to be a pro when they came to the NFL. This is a VERY familiar story with college WRs.

Coates most likely is never going to be an "elite" or "top-end" NFL WR. But I bet he can be totally useful 2nd or 3rd option.
    Sure his fellow players are going to say that. No different than when we expect coaches to call out players or other coaches. The proof is in the pudding in year 3-4. He has his work cut out for him if Bryant can keep his nose clean.

Sure his fellow players are going to say that. No different than when we expect coaches to call out players or other coaches. The proof is in the pudding in year 3-4. He has his work cut out for him if Bryant can keep his nose clean.
    So you're the only arbiter of "lazy" based on reading stuff on the internet?

It doesn't really matter. I think in the end we are saying the same thing - Coates either plays like he did in the first handful of games for a full season or he is likely staring down a visit from the turk come year 4 or 5.

So you're the only arbiter of "lazy" based on reading stuff on the internet?

It doesn't really matter. I think in the end we are saying the same thing - Coates either plays like he did in the first handful of games for a full season or he is likely staring down a visit from the turk come year 4 or 5.
    No, it's based his pre draft profile, how he wasted year one and didn't show me much in year two. So far, I have not seen in Coates what most of you have. Its just that simple.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Post #61
    Before you say I'm making things up, get your year right. Coates wasted his first year. I said in post 35 he made progress in his conditioning in year two. The progress I'm speaking of are these.

1. Unreliable target
    Inconsistent play speed.
    Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into overthrows.
    Suspect ball tracking.
    Post #58
    Again what R3 picks have been benched for being out of shape? I may may not know much about college football, but being lazy isnt limited to football. Coates is lazy, he thinks he can get by on his raw talent. Maybe ā change in year 3?
    Post #56
    Who is talking about Coates taking another WR off the field? I'm saying he has shown little progress since school. Tomlin benched him being out of shape year one. Year two no change in his bio, year three?

In post #58 above you said that he is still lazy, and then ask if maybe that will change in year 3. To say that means you are ignoring everything that everyone is telling you and showing you in articles, and what every single player and coach on the team said about him last season. You can't just pretend that he didn't work his ass off and improve last season because it fits your argument. You can't arbitrarily pick a single year and all others are off limits.

Post #35
    Coates had 7 tackles on ST, I'll give him credit for that, but he is probably twice as fast as Red, Williams & Nix. I'm not sure how Coates playing ST has any connection with his play at WR?

ST Stats:

Dirty Red was 9th in the NFL with 13 tackles

Vince Williams 26th in the NFL W/11 tackles

Nix 48th in the NFL W/9

Coates & Dangerfield 81st W/7 tackles

As for Coates here are his minuses as a WR, after school and before the draft. Which of these can't be fixed? I say #11 on the stiff hips. I think #8 could be improved somewhat, but ball tracking comes by feel imo.

Coates came to training camp in year one out of shape and sat on the bench. He had one catch in the regular season. Thats a big flag for me. Year two better shape but no improvement in the 12 points. In fact he demonstrated them all or most of them in every game. I'll give him some rope for the finger injury, but he didn't have a finger injury in school.

Lack of improvement? Effort? Body Language? Yes, I'd say so. I honestly feel he thinks he can get by with his natural ability. But as I said before, I hope I'm wrong.

1. Unreliable target
    Inconsistent play speed.
    Suspect ball tracking.
    Here you state that there is "no improvement in the 12 points" in his second season. I don't know how you can say that after watching him play all preseason and in the first 5 games of the year. And again, you keep saying that after all the linked articles with tons of quotes from everybody saying how hard he has worked and how much he has improved. Sorry man....your just intentionally ignoring the obvious.

If "no improvement" gives us the production he had in the first 5 games of last season.....I'll take more of that, thank you.
    Last edited by pczach; 02-21-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Post #61

Post #58

Post #56

In post #58 above you said that he is still lazy, and then ask if maybe that will change in year 3. To say that means you are ignoring everything that everyone is telling you and showing you in articles, and what every single player and coach on the team said about him last season. You can't just pretend that he didn't work his ass off and improve last season because it fits your argument. You can't arbitrarily pick a single year and all others are off limits.

Post #35

Here you state that there is "no improvement in the 12 points" in his second season. I don't know how you can say that after watching him play all preseason and in the first 5 games of the year. And again, you keep saying that after all the linked articles with tons of quotes from everybody saying how hard he has worked and how much he has improved. Sorry man....your just intentionally ignoring the obvious.

If "no improvement" gives us the production he had in the first 5 games of last season.....I'll take more of that, thank you.

He came into the NFL lazy, made some progress in year two but he was not consistent in anything. My gut feeling is this is where he will remain, unreliable and inconsistent. I'm done with this.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He came into the NFL lazy, made some progress in year two but he was not consistent in anything. My gut feeling is this is where he will remain, unreliable and inconsistent. I'm done with this.

I'm not trying to fight with you. I keep trying to show you different things and explain it in different ways backed up by links. You keep making the same criticisms of Coates in every post.

You asked me to read your posts and get my year straight before accusing you of making things up. I read them and responded to them showing you what you said. I posted them above in my post.

I provide links to multiple articles with teammates, coaches, people in the organization, and comments from nationally respected football people saying how much hard work Coates has done and how much improvement he has made......and you either didn't read them or you choose to ignore them. You didn't even respond to any of the points any of us are making or the people that talked about how great he looks and the improvement he has made in the links provided.

I said you are making stuff up because you are ignoring everything he has done in his second year. You said to get my year right because you only want to look at 2015.

It's amazing to me how you keep listing his bio as the only thing that matters. His bio is really his entire college career which was multiple years of flaws and criticisms along with some amazing plays.

Now you want to stick with that bio and only evaluate his first year in the NFL, as if the other years of his career don't matter. You can't have it both ways.

That would be like me picking out the best year of a players career and saying that's exactly who that guy was as a player and who he ever will be. It doesn't make sense and gives a flawed view of what that player really did over the course of his entire career.

Anyway, I guess we agree to disagree. We both want the best for the team so let's hope that he can become a player that stays healthy and makes big plays to help the team win.

Here's his complete pre draft bio:

Strengths

Looks the part. Long legs with well-proportioned frame. Outstanding combination of size and speed. Good acceleration off the snap for a receiver with his length. Can take top off defense and open up the underneath. Will beat bold cornerbacks over the top if they wait to turn and run. Forces cornerbacks onto their heels and gets easy, open looks on dig routes. Makes easy in-cut with maximum separation. Ability to win big plays vertically. Saved best performances for big games. Put 206 yards and two touchdowns on Alabama in 2014. Weaknesses

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs. Draft Projection

Round 3 NFL Comparison

Martavis Bryant Bottom Line

Big, fast and raw. Vertical wide receiver with the ability to hit big plays and have dominant games. Coates must be coached to trust his quarterback and run through his deep routes in order to reach his potential. He has early round traits and late-round receiving skills right now, but the upside will be hard to pass on and could pay off in a big way. He will be tethered to the JUGS machine in rookie camp.

Interesting bit floating around on the internets lately. His last 3 1,000 yard seasons Terrell Owens had a 16 and change % drop rate! Now he was seeing about 9 targets a game, but still.

Point being is that big, physical WRs can sustain a high drop rate and have success. Now, as Shoes has correctly pointed out, the problem is that Coates does not use his body properly to shield DBs away from the ball. If he could do this and let more balls get trapped against his body, I bet he would have more success. I know it isn't textbook, but something about lemons and lemonade.