Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Sammie Coates Says He Had Surgery On His Groin

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I know you wish him the best and hope he improves, but hear me out.

I think his inner drive is fine. In the preseason, everyone associated with the team raved at how hard he worked in the off season to prepare, and how hard he worked all through camp. I just don't like when people question the heart of players when they really have no idea.

He's the #4 WR.

They have a young #4 WR that scares the hell out of opposing defenses because he stretches the field and makes huge plays....so fans want to get rid of him?

It makes no sense. People are overreacting because they are emotionally invested.

I'll say it again....He's the #4 receiver. Other teams would kill for that luxury. It's just that he was forced to play a huge role because Bryant was suspended and Wheaton was injured the entire year.

The guy doesn't deserve the crap he's getting from emotional Steelers fans.

This from many of the same fans that love DHB because he plays special teams.

Coates also plays special teams and he played hurt, but he gets no credit for toughing it out for the team. DHB gets hurt at the end of the year and doesn't play...but he has heart and inner drive?

Does this explain better why I support him and believe fans should be happy to have him?
    I fully understand why you support him and I'll give him some rope until his first rookie contract is up. I do believe he has a lazy streak, I've lived long enough in different cultures around the world to be able to spot it, regardless of occupation. His draft profile is a perfect painted picture of where he's at. It's up to him to change that.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Not sure that a dude who flys around on Special Teams like Coates can be defined as "lazy".

Not uncommon for players in their first 1-3 years in the NFL to lack any awareness of how to be a professional at this level. Almost all former players talk about how they had to learn that over time. Coates is likely facing adversity for the first time in his athletic life. Big test is how he deals with it.

If nothing changes by mid-point of next season, perhaps then the lazy conversation can happen. But to this point, I am curious what that is based on? Lack of improvement? Effort? Body Language?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Very true. I'm not arguing to just dismiss it as not a big deal. But wanted to point out that for a dude with jacked up fingers and a broken groin, Coates is not that far from having a big time impact.

For me, more than the drops, it is running a full NFL route tree. He can't really be integrated into the full offense, because all he does is run go and post routes.
    We've seen Coates be an impact player. Something was happening (I'm not sure what) with him that he fell off the face of the earth...whether it was the hands or the groin or mental issues. Something happened and he became "less" of a player than he was showing he could be...or maybe teams just eliminated him? I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="awe1028 will become famous soon enough">

It is just too early to give up on Sammie Coates. Here is a guy who through the first 5 games was leading the NFL in yards per catch. This does not guarantee his success but it certainly showcased his potential as at the very least a potent deep ball threat.

After those 5 games his production did tail off significantly. The question is why? If there were no reasons for his dip in production, then it would make sense to question his long term prospects. However, that is not the case. It is well known that he suffered two broken fingers which would obviously affect his ability to catch the football.

In addition it is now apparent he was dealing with a groin injury so much so that it required surgery. We need only look at Leveon Bell in the AFCCG to see the negative impact such an injury can have on a player's performance.

It seems to me knowing that Coates was dealing with these 2 fairly significant injuries offers a plausible explanation for his decline and buys Coates some time to prove whether those 5 games were a fluke or not.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Not sure that a dude who flys around on Special Teams like Coates can be defined as "lazy".

Not uncommon for players in their first 1-3 years in the NFL to lack any awareness of how to be a professional at this level. Almost all former players talk about how they had to learn that over time. Coates is likely facing adversity for the first time in his athletic life. Big test is how he deals with it.

If nothing changes by mid-point of next season, perhaps then the lazy conversation can happen. But to this point, I am curious what that is based on? Lack of improvement? Effort? Body Language?
    Coates had 7 tackles on ST, I'll give him credit for that, but he is probably twice as fast as Red, Williams & Nix. I'm not sure how Coates playing ST has any connection with his play at WR?

ST Stats:

Dirty Red was 9th in the NFL with 13 tackles

Vince Williams 26th in the NFL W/11 tackles

Nix 48th in the NFL W/9

Coates & Dangerfield 81st W/7 tackles

As for Coates here are his minuses as a WR, after school and before the draft. Which of these can't be fixed? I say #11 on the stiff hips. I think #8 could be improved somewhat, but ball tracking comes by feel imo.

Coates came to training camp in year one out of shape and sat on the bench. He had one catch in the regular season. Thats a big flag for me. Year two better shape but no improvement in the 12 points. In fact he demonstrated them all or most of them in every game. I'll give him some rope for the finger injury, but he didn't have a finger injury in school.

Lack of improvement? Effort? Body Language? Yes, I'd say so. I honestly feel he thinks he can get by with his natural ability. But as I said before, I hope I'm wrong.

1. Unreliable target
    2. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field.
    3. Doesn't play with extended catch radius
    Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent
    Vertical receiver without vertical feel
    Inconsistent play speed.
    Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into overthrows.
    Suspect ball tracking.
    Must improve at using body to ward off defenders.
    Inconsistent with contested catches.
    Stiff hips and limited route runner.
    Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.
    Last edited by Shoes; 02-16-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Coates had 7 tackles on ST, I'll give him credit for that, but he is probably twice as fast as Red, Williams & Nix. I'm not sure how Coates playing ST has any connection with his play at WR?

ST Stats:

Dirty Red was 9th in the NFL with 13 tackles

Vince Williams 26th in the NFL W/11 tackles

Nix 48th in the NFL W/9

Coates & Dangerfield 81st W/7 tackles

As for Coates here are his minuses as a WR, after school and before the draft. Which of these can't be fixed? I say #11 on the stiff hips. I think #8 could be improved somewhat, but ball tracking comes by feel imo.

Coates came to training camp in year one out of shape and sat on the bench. He had one catch in the regular season. Thats a big flag for me. Year two better shape but no improvement in the 12 points. In fact he demonstrated them all or most of them in every game. I'll give him some rope for the finger injury, but he didn't have a finger injury in school.

Lack of improvement? Effort? Body Language? Yes, I'd say so. I honestly feel he thinks he can get by with his natural ability. But as I said before, I hope I'm wrong.

1. Unreliable target
    Inconsistent play speed.
    Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into overthrows.
    Suspect ball tracking.
    Ok. I can see all that. I think this offseason is make or break for me. Come into camp with some improvements and I'll figure everything prior was bad luck and frustrating but fairly standard college star learning how to be a pro. Anything else, and I'm in on the doesn't work hard enough tag.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Midseason I was very frustrated with Coates. I was ready to sit him and forget him. Then it came out that he had 2 broken fingers. That was enough for me to give him another season. I've seen fingers here where I work that take 6 months to feel close to normal again. Even fingers that don't require pins can take 3 months before the docs release them. So I give him full pardon for the catching woes of 2016. That said, 2017 needs to be the year he becomes what we need him to be, or it's back to the pine IMO.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Saw Sammie Coates fingers yesterday. Mangled like a lineman. Probably not good for a WR. #Steelers

From Lolleys Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Saw Sammie Coates fingers yesterday. Mangled like a lineman. Probably not good for a WR. #Steelers

From Lolleys Twitter

I'm assuming he means fingers pointed in directions they're not supposed to be pointing at the joint?

That's not good.

I wonder if that's enough for fans to cut him some slack for the drops last year and questioning his heart? There had to be a lot of pain involved when playing with multiple injuries that severe.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

From NBCSports

Posted by Josh Alper on February 14, 2017, 2:37 PM ESTGetty ImagesSteelers wide receiver Sammie Coates discussed recent groin surgery on Twitter on Monday, which appeared to be the second time that he’d had an operation since the end of the regular season.
    In a late January tweet, Coates wrote that he’d just gotten out of surgery and Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reported that the operation was done to repair “fractures and tendon damage” to fingers on his left hand. Coates’ injured fingers led to frequent appearances on the injury report and caused him trouble on the field, but Fowler now says that report was incorrect.
    Per Fowler, Coates has only had the sports hernia surgery he was discussing on Monday. That injury was never noted on the league’s injury report, which was reportedly due to the team’s feeling that it wasn’t limiting him at practice at any point in the year.
    It’s not the first injury that the Steelers failed to list on their injury report only to have it come to light after the end of the season. Running back Le’Veon Bell’s groin injury wasn’t listed leading into the AFC Championship Game, which led to a league investigation after he left that game and said the injury had been bothering him for some time.
    No results of that investigation have been announced and it’s not clear if the inconsistency with Coates will also merit a look, although the league may choose to pass on any substantive punishment anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

However, this was Fowler's report in October

Twitter
    Facebook Messenger
    Pinterest
    Email
    print
    comment
    PITTSBURGH -- Steelers receiver Sammie Coates is dealing with a fractured index finger on his left hand, sources told ESPN on Saturday.
    Sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that Coates is expected to be active for Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins, while a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the WR will be a game-time decision.
    It's unsure how much Coates, who also has a laceration above his left palm, will be used because of the injuries if he does play.
    The Steelers promoted Cobi Hamilton from the practice squad as insurance at outside receiver, but Coates wants to be a major contributor, barring problems with the injury Sunday morning, sources said.

Sammie Coates has 421 receiving yards and two touchdowns in five games for the Steelers this season. Chuck Cook/USA Today SportsCoates, who was limited in Friday's practice and is listed as questionable, has 421 yards and two touchdowns in five games, including at least one catch of 40-plus yards in every game.
    "It's going to swell because it's not healed all the way," Coates said Friday. "It's part of the game. ... Can't be worried. You have to play football. You have to be a pro."
    ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen contributed to this report.

- - - Updated - - -

And.....Fowler for ESPN. Same day as the first report above.

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers wide receiver Sammie Coates underwent sports hernia surgery, according to a source, repairing an injury that was not listed on the team's injury report in 2016.
    The source, however, said the injury did not affect Coates' practice participation throughout the year and was more of a nuisance.
    On Monday night, Coates tweeted his displeasure at undergoing surgery on his pelvis, then confirmed to inquiring fans that his surgery repaired a groin injury.
    Coates played through broken fingers in his left hand in 2016. ESPN reported last month that Coates underwent surgery to repair the hand, but the procedure was for the groin only, a source clarified Tuesday.
    Coates played 14 regular-season games and finished with 435 receiving yards, most of which came in the first five games, before the hand injury.
    The NFL is investigating the Steelers over injury report protocol involving running back Le'Veon Bell, whose groin injury wasn't listed in the weeks leading up to the AFC title game in New England. Bell left the game because of the groin injury.
    The Steelers maintained Bell's injury did not affect his practice participation, and team president Art Rooney II said he's confident the Steelers' response to the league will be satisfactory. Bell missed practice time before the New England game due to a personal matter, not an injury.
    Investigations can subject a team to fines, suspensions or lost draft picks.
    The league's injury reports are intended "to provide a full and complete rendering of player availability," according to the NFL's 2016 Personnel Report Policy.
    "It is NFL policy that information for dissemination to the public on all injured players be reported in a satisfactory manner by clubs to the league office, the opposing team, local and national media, and broadcast partners each game," the policy states. Any disputes in compliance require the team to demonstrate it has acted in a manner consistent with the intent of the policy.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

^^ Do you have a link for this article? It would be much easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    ^^ Do you have a link for this article? It would be much easier to read.
    Let me see if I can work that out......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...inger-surgery/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-broken-finger

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...ry-454474.html

The Steelers are playing with the injury report it seems. They better be careful, I'd sure hate see the team lose a draft pick because they were playing games with semantics.

Amazing how everyone ignores his predraft bio, which is exactly the picture of him today. He did one better tho, lazy as he is, he comes to camp out of shape and on the bench in year one.

Very few players show up to their first training camp in NFL shape.

Most linemen, LB,and TEs need an NFL weight room for strength and most skill position guys and DBs need to cut body fat.

Additionally, very few college players have any clue how to eat, take care of their bodies, etc that lead to the conditioning necessary to be good over a long period of time in the NFL.

Finally, prior to the injuries last season, Sammie Coates was on pace to put up better numbers than Bryant ever has - across the board. Does that mean that Coates is a better WR than Bryant? Nope. But it means that lumping him in with the Limas Sweed's of the world is likely too far the other way.

Coates, at least for me, gets this camp and pre-season to show what he is actually going to be as an NFL player. I think that no one knows, including him, what that is going to be.

Who else showed up at Steeler camp in Coates class out of shape and was benched?

Who else showed up at Steeler camp in Coates class out of shape and was benched?
    Casey Hampton showed up fat and out of shape every year of his career. I'm not going to really go after a kid for showing up out of shape in his rookie camp. It is common. It is what shape and condition did he show up in the subsequent years where he should know how to get his body right.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Good thing Coates doesn't catch the ball with his groin.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Amazing how everyone ignores his predraft bio, which is exactly the picture of him today. He did one better tho, lazy as he is, he comes to camp out of shape and on the bench in year one.
    Who exactly was supposed to come off the field for Coates in 2015?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Casey Hampton showed up fat and out of shape every year of his career. I'm not going to really go after a kid for showing up out of shape in his rookie camp. It is common. It is what shape and condition did he show up in the subsequent years where he should know how to get his body right.
    Casey Hampton? You said players in their first year of training camp. It isn't the norm for a R3 pick to be benched for being out of shape.Sure there is going to be adjustments to make but these guys dream of play in the NFL all their young lives. To be drafted in R3 and come to camp so out of shape that your benched is chicken shit. You make it sound like these guys have no clue what the NFL is like even tho many teams are running pro style offenses & defenses. Coates coming to training camp out of shape and no changes in his predraft bio are part of the same root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Who exactly was supposed to come off the field for Coates in 2015?

He he was a rookie R3 pick, is coming to training camp in shape to much to ask?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Casey Hampton? You said players in their first year of training camp. It isn't the norm for a R3 pick to be benched for being out of shape.Sure there is going to be adjustments to make but these guys dream of play in the NFL all their young lives. To be drafted in R3 and come to camp so out of shape that your benched is chicken shit. You make it sound like these guys have no clue what the NFL is like even tho many teams are running pro style offenses & defenses. Coates coming to training camp out of shape and no changes in his predraft bio are part of the same root cause.
    im still trying to figure out who exactly Coates was supposed to be able to take off the field as a rookie...

Antonio Brown, the best receiver in the league? nope. Martavis Bryant, our consumate deep/redzone threat with pro bowl potential? nope. Markus Wheaton, who started off slow but established himself as a good #3 the season before and finished the season well? nope. Not to mention Heath Miller was still playing and when you have a blocker like him and RB's like Bell/Williams, you dont take him off often. DHB even made legitimate contributions to our deep ball with receptions of 21, 41, 43, 58, and 66.

I think you're having some serious short term memory regarding the make up of the team in 2015 as well as Coates production early in the most recent season.

60 receptions, 1347 yards, 6 TD's. Thats what Coates was on pace for in his 1st 5 games. In those 5 games alone, Coates still finished the season tied as one of the league leaders in 40+ yard receptions.

To put into comparison with Martavis Bryant in 2014, had a much easier path to getting playing time in the spot next to Antonio Brown. Darrius Heyward Bey just joined the team and was a productivity question mark going into the season. Markus Wheaton also had his rookie season derailed by broken fingers and was a productivity question mark going into the season. Lance Moore was washed up and in Tomlin's dog house. Hell, even Justin Brown earned a start because we didnt have a clear #2 on the team yet.

41 receptions, 878 yards, 12 TD's is what Martavis was on pace for had he played the entire season. Coates exceeded some of those numbers and thats good company to be in
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Happens every year with all kinds of picks. This was without even trying on the Google machines:

"Jackson believes that there is a level of conditioning specific to the NFL." --- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...o-get-in-shape

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/05/07/minicamps -- ""These guys thought they were practicing hard," head coach Jim Schwartz said of the Lions' rookies last weekend. "Our pace is generally three times as fast as what these guys were going through. . . . They didn't really have a feeling of where they need to be to be in shape. They think they're in good shape, and they have no idea once they get here."

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The thing is....I didn't need his pre-draft bio. I follow college football and got to see him play many times against the best competition. I saw enough of him to see his talent, and how he stacked up against SEC defenses. I liked the pick when they took him, and was able to tell people at SF about his physical skills and his deficiencies before the draft and after the Steelers drafted him. Some of us really follow this stuff and actually do player evaluations ourselves, while some fans don't know a thing about college football or the players in it and get all their knowledge reading other peoples opinions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some are more informed than others and have a much better understanding of what a player is capable of.

You're really going too far with this "lazy" commentary. The point you try to make about being out of shape is exactly how many players show up. They simply have no idea what NFL shape is until they get there. You try to put him in this category with about 20 other players in the league. The fact is that a large percentage of players aren't in NFL shape their rookie season. Most players will tell you that themselves if they're being honest. I've heard many of them say it themselves on all the sports media.

I'm not ignoring anything.

im still trying to figure out who exactly Coates was supposed to be able to take off the field as a rookie...

Antonio Brown, the best receiver in the league? nope. Martavis Bryant, our consumate deep/redzone threat with pro bowl potential? nope. Markus Wheaton, who started off slow but established himself as a good #3 the season before and finished the season well? nope. Not to mention Heath Miller was still playing and when you have a blocker like him and RB's like Bell/Williams, you dont take him off often. DHB even made legitimate contributions to our deep ball with receptions of 21, 41, 43, 58, and 66.

I think you're having some serious short term memory regarding the make up of the team in 2015 as well as Coates production early in the most recent season.

60 receptions, 1347 yards, 6 TD's. Thats what Coates was on pace for in his 1st 5 games. In those 5 games alone, Coates still finished the season tied as one of the league leaders in 40+ yard receptions.

To put into comparison with Martavis Bryant in 2014, had a much easier path to getting playing time in the spot next to Antonio Brown. Darrius Heyward Bey just joined the team and was a productivity question mark going into the season. Markus Wheaton also had his rookie season derailed by broken fingers and was a productivity question mark going into the season. Lance Moore was washed up and in Tomlin's dog house. Hell, even Justin Brown earned a start because we didnt have a clear #2 on the team yet.

41 receptions, 878 yards, 12 TD's is what Martavis was on pace for had he played the entire season. Coates exceeded some of those numbers and thats good company to be in

Who is talking about Coates taking another WR off the field? I'm saying he has shown little progress since school. Tomlin benched him being out of shape year one. Year two no change in his bio, year three?

Who is talking about Coates taking another WR off the field? I'm saying he has shown little progress since school. Tomlin benched him being out of shape year one. Year two no change in his bio, year three?
    Year 2 no change?

Literal headlines/articles like this all throughout the offseason: Sammie Coates Now Highly Conditioned Athlete http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05...ioned-athlete/

and by all indications from reports of him in training camp, he was really killing it, and some thought he was one of the best players there. How are you going to sit here and say he had no changes to his bio in year 2 without giving any evidence? Again, 60 receptions, 1347 yards, 6 TD's. Is that not a nice prorated stat line for a #2 receiver? And this dude is about to become our #3 or #4 receiver? Thats pretty remarkable.

Year 3 is looking good if his health checks out

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The thing is....I didn't need his pre-draft bio. I follow college football and got to see him play many times against the best competition. I saw enough of him to see his talent, and how he stacked up against SEC defenses. I liked the pick when they took him, and was able to tell people at SF about his physical skills and his deficiencies before the draft and after the Steelers drafted him. Some of us really follow this stuff and actually do player evaluations ourselves, while some fans don't know a thing about college football or the players in it and get all their knowledge reading other peoples opinions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some are more informed than others and have a much better understanding of what a player is capable of.

You're really going too far with this "lazy" commentary. The point you try to make about being out of shape is exactly how many players show up. They simply have no idea what NFL shape is until they get there. You try to put him in this category with about 20 other players in the league. The fact is that a large percentage of players aren't in NFL shape their rookie season. Most players will tell you that themselves if they're being honest. I've heard many of them say it themselves on all the sports media.

I'm not ignoring anything.
    Again what R3 picks have been benched for being out of shape? I may may not know much about college football, but being lazy isnt limited to football. Coates is lazy, he thinks he can get by on his raw talent. Maybe ā change in year 3?

Now you're just making stuff up. He was awesome in training camp, came to the team in great shape, and everyone in the organization and all the people outside of the Steelers were saying he might have a big year because he looked great. Tomlin made many comments about how hard he worked in the offseason to prepare, and how hard he was working in camp. Come on man....

Here are some articles for you to look over.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...camp-practice/

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/04/ste...-kevin-colbert

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...es-camp-season

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201608090059

Year 2 no change?

Literal headlines/articles like this all throughout the offseason: Sammie Coates Now Highly Conditioned Athlete http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05...ioned-athlete/

and by all indications from reports of him in training camp, he was really killing it, and some thought he was one of the best players there. How are you going to sit here and say he had no changes to his bio in year 2 without giving any evidence? Again, 60 receptions, 1347 yards, 6 TD's. Is that not a nice prorated stat line for a #2 receiver? And this dude is about to become our #3 or #4 receiver? Thats pretty remarkable.

Year 3 is looking good if his health checks out
    He was out of shape in his rookie year and benched. His conditioning was better in year 2, I said this in post 35.

I saw no consistent change in Coates in these points in year 2

1. Unreliable target
    Inconsistent play speed.
    Suspect ball tracking.

As of 1-4-17 he lead the NFL, dropping 25% of targets, give him 5-10% for his finger and he is at his school drop rate.