Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup QB Options...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Backup QB Options...

Interesting list of options for the backup QB job. If you HAD TO pick one from THIS LIST, who would it be?

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...in-free-agency

Colin Kaepernick: Kaepernick won't exactly have a robust market if/when he opts out of his contract in San Francisco. He'd be an entertaining backup in Pittsburgh, which can redo the Mike Vick signing from two years ago with a younger and faster model. Kaepernick posted a respectable 90.7 passer rating with minimal playmakers in San Francisco last year. He could be worth high-level backup money somewhere.
    Brian Hoyer: He has been a solid option in his last three stops, with 25 touchdowns compared to seven interceptions over his past 17 regular-season games. He spent a brief period with Pittsburgh in 2012, so he'd grasp Todd Haley's system quickly.
    Landry Jones: He's taken hundreds -- no, thousands -- of reps in that system. This qualifies him as perhaps the most equipped option out there. He recovered well from an uneven first two years on the job. The Steelers like the hard-working Jones. Overall, though, he doesn't elicit a lot of confidence for the long term, so any re-signing would likely be on a bridge, two-to-three-year deal.
    Matt Cassel: Not sure how much he has left at age 34, but he spent time with Haley in Kansas City and would be a valuable voice in the quarterback room.
    Josh McCown: He's a good guy to have in a locker room. He acquitted himself well in Cleveland with toughness and he averaged 264 yards per game in eight starts in 2015. He could join the team on a reasonable one- to two-year deal.
    Ryan Fitzpatrick: Fitzpatrick just finished a polarizing two seasons with the New York Jets, but he's still less than two seasons removed from a 31-touchdown season. Fitzpatrick has a penchant for interceptions. Still, his backup quarterback resume is extensive.
    Case Keenum: His two-season stint as a Rams starter unraveled in 2016, but the lack of playmakers around him was glaring. Keenum's true identity is as a primary backup who can start a handful of games if the starter goes out.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Backup QB Options...

Hoyer in a perfect world, but he's been one of the best backups out there and looks like he'll be looking for an opportunity to start. Ditto with Kaepernick. Fitzpatrick is interesting because he might have outed himself from a starting audition last season but yeah he looked good the season before. McCown would be great too.

I think Shaun Hill needs to be on this list too. He was arguably the best backup QB in the league not long ago. Lots of good options here. Id rather wait one more year to draft a QB whether it be as a backup or an heir apparent. Unless the steelers feel strongly enough about Mahomes
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Hoyer in a perfect world, but he's been one of the best backups out there and looks like he'll be looking for an opportunity to start. Ditto with Kaepernick. Fitzpatrick is interesting because he might have outed himself from a starting audition last season but yeah he looked good the season before. McCown would be great too.

I think Shaun Hill needs to be on this list too. He was arguably the best backup QB in the league not long ago. Lots of good options here. Id rather wait one more year to draft a QB whether it be as a backup or an heir apparent. Unless the steelers feel strongly enough about Mahomes
    I think I'd go with either Hoyer or McCown.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fitz or Hoyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I like McCown the best out of all of those options.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

1. After Kaepernick's National Anthem antics? Just no.
    2. Hoyer is the best backup on this list. But teams don't seem to like him. Why? No.
    3. Jones has the most experience in this system. Still doesn't show, IMO, but he's the smart option on this list.
    4. Cassel is another one teams don't seem to care for much. And at 34 it would be one wasted year for both of us. No.
    5. Fitz could be the boom or bust guy on the list.
    6. Keenum is the young gun that we don't know much about. I like him as a backup option over drafting a backup. But about the same as Jones until he can prove he's better.
    7. McCown is another Fitz, IMO. 50/50 on either and price would probably be the most deciding factor.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

I see the Steelers of late as being a lot like the Pittsburgh Pirates when it comes to free agents, the don't address their needs until it's too late and then it's like a four alarm fire. Landry Jones will be the backup get 0 snaps with the 1st team offense, Ben will get injured and in comes L.Jones who then plays like a high school sophomore forcing Ben to come back far before he's ready resulting in a couple of poor performances. We've seen this movie before but now it's a 35 year old Ben who doesn't recover from injury as well and hasn't played well on the road for 2-3 seasons now. The Steelers organization and some of its fan base needs to look at this coming season as the possibility of this coming or more than likely next season as Ben's last.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hoyer, Fitz, Keenum in that order.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You can't say Jones doesn't get quality snaps. He may actually get too many...lol. The preseasons have been the Landry Jones Show and it's been with first team players and he has shown improvement in game. I tend to think this is the player the Steelers go for out of laziness.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Although I believe we can do better, from this list I would go Keenum, then Jones(based on devil I know vs devil I don't logic), with Fitz and McCown tied for 3rd choice.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

FA is not going to vastly improve the situation. I don't see alot on that list that is a sure-fire improvement over Jones or Mettenberger. At this point the biggest "talent upgrade" on the list is Kaepernick. Sure, he is kinda political or whatever (don't care) but he is younger than most on the list, can make all the throws, and brings some mobility to the position. The rest are on the wrong side of 30+ and are either hurt all the time themselves or prone to turnovers.

If the Steelers really want to upgrade what they have on the bench in QB, they can't just shuffle the deck chairs on the Titanic with signing veteran FA's. It has to come with a draft pick investment and they have to get it right. That is damn hard to pull off, but it is the only path to substantial upgrade.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Oh HELL NO on that F''kin Communist Kaepernick and his anti American crap, I'd have too much temptation to take him down at a game ! I'm not a Landry fan, but I hate saying he's probably the best of the list. Although, Hoyer and/or McCown looks interesting and doable.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Not even sure Villanueva would block for Kaepernick
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Pretty sure I wouldn't

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Kaepernick, are you kidding? That guy was good in like 2012, and it's been a shitshow ever since.

He might still be able to have some success in an offense that was designed around his strengths, like the 49ers did for one year - but let's face it, if he comes here the offense is going to be designed around Ben's strengths and we're not going to have a separate offense for the backup. It doesn't really matter if he's even good or not; he is just not really compatible with what we run. A less talented guy who fits the "normal" offense better is going to be more successful.

Oh yeah - and it doesn't help that he had a reputation as kind of a dickhead even before all the political bullshit. Do we really want to go through all that for a backup QB who doesn't fit our system? I didn't think so.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Krappernick is washed up. Political shit aside, he hasn't done anything in 5 years.

Hoyer would be my choice but he'll want too much money.

Most people have said Hoyer...lol. Had him and let him go...

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    and to think. we kept Byron Leftwich over him

Interesting conversation on Mike and Mike this morning. The Pats are shopping Garoppolo for a 1st or 2nd round pick. The guy was drafted 3 years ago and has played in only 1 and 1/2 games. If we resign Jones, and the put him out for trade, what is he worth? They were talking about Garoppolo like he would be a top 3 pick this draft. I have to ask why? What makes his value that high? If that's the case, AJ McCarron should be first overall pick, IMO. What could we reasonably get for Landry Jones in trade for draft picks this year?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Which is why I said no to Hoyer. Basically, nobody wants to keep him around. It's not because of lack of talent.

And Pittsburgh West picked him up 2 days later only to release him the following spring.

Kept Batch and Leftwich...lol. I'd rather have Landry Jones than the 2012 version of either of those clowns...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Pittsburgh needs to find a back-up with a good deep ball. This offense is at its best when Ben is making the intermediate throws the to sidelines and completing a few deep balls between the hashmarks and the sidelines.

Landry Jones only rarely does that. Most times he either goes with the shorter and underneath stuff or he looks like he is hesitant to uncork it and throw. Ever so often, like late in the Cleveland game, he just hits his back foot, winds up, and throws. Like he somehow decides to stop over-thinking and aiming the ball. When he just cuts it loose and throws he does so much better. Think it is mostly mental with him.

Whoever the Steelers find this off-season, it needs to be someone who does not mind cutting it loose deep early and often. Hoyer and Kaepernik both seem willing to do that. None of the others on the list do. McCown might have once before he turned 111 years old. Plus he hasn't played consecutive halfs of football let alone whole games in like 2 years. Hoyer is also always hurt. Thought about Fitzmagic, but I think he threw 95 interceptions or so last year - so no. Hence landing on Kap on that list.

Is it a good idea? Nope. But if they want to move on from Jones (which I suspect they don't) then that is how I see the FA possibilities. Basically they all stink. Glennon might be alright, but he is going to get a chance to start somewhere. So now we go to the draft...which brings me to Chad Kelly. Enticing physical tools and like a 10 cent head full of drugs and other off-the-field issues. But you can likely get him somewhere in rounds 5-7. At that point the Steelers are usually drafting garbage TEs and flawed CBs. So why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So now we go to the draft...which brings me to Chad Kelly. Enticing physical tools and like a 10 cent head full of drugs and other off-the-field issues. But you can likely get him somewhere in rounds 5-7. At that point the Steelers are usually drafting garbage TEs and flawed CBs. So why not?
    Because it would prevent us from drafting a garbage TE or a flawed CB. Gotta get your draft picks who don't make the roster in somewhere!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I like Chad Kelly but he won't be ready to be a #2 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I like Chad Kelly but he won't be ready to be a #2 next year.
    Okay. But in 2 years he is likely better than Landry Jones or Mettenberger. In 3 years, maybe he looks like he can start in the NFL. Due to his off-field issues, the transfer(s?), etc - you get a pretty steep discount on a guy who appears to have all of the tools to be successful in the NFL. Well, except that he might be terminal screw-up. But other than that...1st round talent at a late round price?

Sign Landry. Draft Kelly or maybe that kid out of Pitt in the later rounds. Bring the rookie, Jones, and Mettenberger to camp. Break camp with the best of the vets plus the rookie. Trade the vet to someone who is desparate for like a 5th round pick with an escalator if the guy plays well or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Okay. But in 2 years he is likely better than Landry Jones or Mettenberger. In 3 years, maybe he looks like he can start in the NFL. Due to his off-field issues, the transfer(s?), etc - you get a pretty steep discount on a guy who appears to have all of the tools to be successful in the NFL. Well, except that he might be terminal screw-up. But other than that...1st round talent at a late round price?

Sign Landry. Draft Kelly or maybe that kid out of Pitt in the later rounds. Bring the rookie, Jones, and Mettenberger to camp. Break camp with the best of the vets plus the rookie. Trade the vet to someone who is desparate for like a 5th round pick with an escalator if the guy plays well or something.
    I'd be happy to see them draft Kelly. Who knows, he could be another Dak Prescott.

I see Kelly as more of a Favre type QB. He will make some awesome plays, as well as some that you just stare at in disbelief. I do watch a lot of Ole Miss football and Kelly was brilliant and has a great arm. Sometimes that is his worst enemy because he tries to make throws that just aren't possible. I would gladly draft him in the 5th. He's a better prospect than he gets credit for, IMO.

Bill Polian called Chad Kelly "the most talented" QB in this draft.