Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent cornerbacks the Pittsburgh Steelers could target this offseason

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Free Agent cornerbacks the Pittsburgh Steelers could target this offseason

The Pittsburgh Steelers need help at cornerback. After releasing Justin Gilbert, they are ridiculously thin at the position. Returning starters Artie Burns and Ross Cockrell are joined with William Gay, Al-Hajj Shabazz and oft-injured Senquez Golson to round out the depth chart.
    While most fans point directly to the NFL Draft to help fill the void in the defensive secondary, the Steelers might be wise to look at a free agent to help give the team a proven commodity.
    After all, I believe most would agree the Steelers are just a few players away from being serious contenders to represent the AFC in Super Bowl 52 next season.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...2017-nfl-draft

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Free Agent cornerbacks the Pittsburgh Steelers could target this offseason

The problem with free agents is almost all of them are too expensive (would rather have that money spent on players already here), one year wonders who only show up during their contract year then disappear again once they get paid, and/or system players who only thrived in one system and fall apart in a completely different system. The only free agents on that list that look like they may be appealing are certain to cost way too much money or franchised/re-signed

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

If we choose to pursue a corner. In terms of what we need, and whats realistic, Id be happy with Logan Ryan or Captain Munnerlyn on that list
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The best fit for us will probably not be the most successful guy from another system. Is there a guy out there that played in a similar system successfully? That is how I would approach it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore would fit what the Steelers want to do on defense. But again, I think they are going to be priced out of the market. Figure 15 or more per year to get those guys signed.

Big chance they both get tagged also. Same with Ryan and Bouye. The rest of that list is guys that should be in the bargain bin but instead will be jumped up to the high priced scratch and dent aisle. Not a good deal.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore would fit what the Steelers want to do on defense. But again, I think they are going to be priced out of the market. Figure 15 or more per year to get those guys signed.

Big chance they both get tagged also. Same with Ryan and Bouye. The rest of that list is guys that should be in the bargain bin but instead will be jumped up to the high priced scratch and dent aisle. Not a good deal.
    On one hand though, the window is narrow. What is too high of a price to win now? On the other hand, the Steelers have always built for the future with personnel moves. That ideology is what made 8 SB appearances with 6 championships. Strong argument can be made for both. Patience vs win now.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    On one hand though, the window is narrow. What is too high of a price to win now? On the other hand, the Steelers have always built for the future with personnel moves. That ideology is what made 8 SB appearances with 6 championships. Strong argument can be made for both. Patience vs win now.
    Great points. I do think the Steelers should spend a great deal of cap $$ this off-season to both lock up their own (AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier) as well as bring in some pieces from outside. My only counter is does Hightower fix what ails the defense? Or does he simply double-down on existing strengths? He isn't a dynamic pass-rusher nor is he a weapon in coverage. He stops the run and is an active presence from the middle of the field.

Timmons and a rookie can do that for about 2/3 of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Great points. I do think the Steelers should spend a great deal of cap $$ this off-season to both lock up their own (AB, Bell, AV, Tuitt, and Shazier) as well as bring in some pieces from outside. My only counter is does Hightower fix what ails the defense? Or does he simply double-down on existing strengths? He isn't a dynamic pass-rusher nor is he a weapon in coverage. He stops the run and is an active presence from the middle of the field.

Timmons and a rookie can do that for about 2/3 of the cost.
    I was more replying about FA CBs. I'm not much of a Hightower fan. I was one of the few that didn't want to take him in the draft. Somebody mentioned Zach Brown in another post. I would rather take him even with his injury history.

I was more replying about FA CBs. I'm not much of a Hightower fan. I was one of the few that didn't want to take him in the draft. Somebody mentioned Zach Brown in another post. I would rather take him even with his injury history.
    Duh! Wrong thread. Too much cold medicine is the excuse I'm going with.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Zach Brown had a torn pec a couple of years ago but other than that he looks like he's been a pretty healthy guy based on injury reports
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Zach Brown had a torn pec a couple of years ago but other than that he looks like he's been a pretty healthy guy based on injury reports
    Apparently I confused him with another player. Still, I would prefer Brown over Hightower if those were the choices. He's a sideline to sideline ILB with very good tackling skills. I do not know how he is in coverage, but has to be better than Hightower.

Apparently I confused him with another player. Still, I would prefer Brown over Hightower if those were the choices. He's a sideline to sideline ILB with very good tackling skills. I do not know how he is in coverage, but has to be better than Hightower.
    Zach is outstanding at everything. Hence him being kind of a reach for us to get. But with Timmons off the books, a possibly lower contract on Bell than expected (Peterson currently outpaces RB's by a crazy amount of dough), and some little strategic cuts like getting Gilbert loose (maybe Moats and Williams if he were signed), who knows if Colbert will let loose before Ben retires. I know I know. But let me dream unrealistically guys ok

Can you guys imagine a front 7 with Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Harrison, Shazier, Brown, and Dupree? Literally all of those guys are pro bowl caliber

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Packers cut CB Sam Shields & RB James Starks. Forget Shields 5 concussion, but would be interesting to keep an eye on Starks. I think the Steelers had him set up for a visit a few years ago and he never showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Packers cut CB Sam Shields & RB James Starks. Forget Shields 5 concussion, but would be interesting to keep an eye on Starks. I think the Steelers had him set up for a visit a few years ago and he never showed up.
    Starks is insanely injury prone too. Im gonna pass.

Benny Cunningham, Rex Burkhead, Jordan Todman, and Jacquizz Rodgers are useful options imo. Benny and Burkhead are particularly interesting. Benny has receiving skills too and some good return numbers. Rex ran for over 100 on a good ravens defense and I've read that many in the bengals fanbase were calling for him to replace Jeremy Hill. Both really under the radar, sounds like a classic steelers signing. If Karlos Williams comes into the fold and gets his shit together that would be a well rounded backfield
    Last edited by Psycho Ward 86; 02-13-2017 at 09:41 AM.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They did have interest in Starks but I think they signed Blount that year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    They did have interest in Starks but I think they signed Blount that year?
    You may be correct there.

Starks looks done from the little I saw last season. Burst seems gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I really wanted Heyward last offseason and we didn't even look at him. He signed cheap with SD and had a great season.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Marcus Cooper, AZ has pretty decent numbers, especially based on number of snaps. However, I don't know him at all. Any thoughts on this CB, or reasons for or against signing him? Good size, good speed, played well in 2016. That's about all I know.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Read that Talib might be a June 1st designation. If he's cut, I'd LOVE for Pitt to go hard after him. Doubt they would, but he's one I'd hope they make an exception for.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    Read that Talib might be a June 1st designation. If he's cut, I'd LOVE for Pitt to go hard after him. Doubt they would, but he's one I'd hope they make an exception for.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    that would be amazing but where does he fit on this defense? Cockrell, Burns, and Talib are all very much outside corners. Talib is so good at everything he seems like the one who would handle the slot the best imo but that also seems like such a waste when we go up against some of the premier X receivers in the league. Cockrell is too slow for the slot. Burn is going to be out of his natural position and he's still learning.

Captain Munnerlyn has been good for some time, and had a particularly good year as a slot corner and will be a UFA. He's probably at the top of my free agency wishlist other than Melvin Ingram. 28 years old, and he was on PFF's top 25 cornerbacks in the league. Underrated, but good player. This guy is a steelers signing, and great insurance if Gay continues to drop off/Golson doesn't pan out. He has an average yearly salary of $3.75 million right now and I figure we can get him for much the same.

Obviously it seems extremely unlikely that we make a serious move at safety in free agency. But hypothetically, if we were to cut Mike Mitchell and sign a new starter like a Tony Jefferson...do you guys think it would be a waste to sign a guy who is essentially at his best in the box? Since Davis is probably at his best there as well

Munnerlyn or someone like him would be a great signing. Jefferson could work. Do a big nickel look with 3 safeties. Or take a LB away and play Davis next to Shazier.

Marcus Cooper, AZ has pretty decent numbers, especially based on number of snaps. However, I don't know him at all. Any thoughts on this CB, or reasons for or against signing him? Good size, good speed, played well in 2016. That's about all I know.
    Spent some time this evening looking at highlights of Marcus Cooper, CB AZ. This man is 6'2" and is very fast. Plays man and zone. We need to talk to this man's agent.

Spent some time this evening looking at highlights of Marcus Cooper, CB AZ. This man is 6'2" and is very fast. Plays man and zone. We need to talk to this man's agent.
    chiefs tested him out as a safety before too. Tomlin is obsessed with versatility

This is my new FA obsession. Pro Bowl alternate. Cardinals have a ton of expensive guys to sign. Best part is you sign Cooper your getting a player potentially on the upswing rather than the tail end of their career.

This could be one of those low temperature signings that down the road everyone else is jealous of.

wish we just had one big free agency thread for such interesting discussions. where do you guys figure Marcus Cooper would fit for us schematically? For the longest time it seems like the steelers have had an abundance of corners who are mostly only useful on the inside. Now it seems like we're kind of approaching the opposite. Cockrell, Burns, Cooper. One of those 3 has to move inside right?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anyone of these mentioned guys being signed is going to be better than Cockrell and Burns. Talib for instance...there's no discussion on what to do. Talib starts where he is best and the rest fill in or sit the pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Talib - That player that can come in and be the guy the other young players look up to and try to play like. Right now this secondary is in identity crisis mode. Who's the leader back there?

Cooper - A younger player with tremendous talent. Big and fast. Can play outside corner, nickel, or safety. Has been a gunner on kick coverage teams as well.

Hell, let's sign them both.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I can't believe that anyone is asking for us to sign Talib. With all of his off the field issues, I don't want him anywhere close to the Steelers.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert