Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers are interested in bringing back Lawrence Timmons

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Steelers are interested in bringing back Lawrence Timmons

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I will put it here anyways.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...O/OkafAl00.htm

Why does anyone have any interest in bringing this guy in? Okafor has done almost nothing as a pro and the Cardinals have brought in 2 guys to replace him in Chandler Jones and Markus Golden.

If Jarvis Jones isn't going to cut it, why should this guy? He has almost no record of NFL production.
    https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...ensive-hurries

Thats fair. In his defense he probably has more pressures than you would think and played through some toe injuries/a bicep tear. Just a name to throw around. And ive been very biased towards cardinal linebackers for some time now . Okafor did play with his hand in the ground plenty of times with the cardinals
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/s...ensive-hurries

Thats fair. In his defense he probably has more pressures than you would think and played through some toe injuries/a bicep tear. Just a name to throw around. And ive been very biased towards cardinal linebackers for some time now . Okafor did play with his hand in the ground plenty of times with the cardinals
    I am probably being a bit harsh on him. Like I said, my opinion of him changes based on the terms of the contract he would agree to. I'm all for it if he is cheap and cutable.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

If Timmons wants more than the Steelers are going to pay he can test FA, we have VW who is younger and just as capable. I would like LT back and have him end his career here, but not at big $$. I am happy they let his contract play out rather than push $$ down the road again, so a 2yr deal ala JH and we are set with good depth for his position.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would think Timmons wants to play here. He would probably sign any reasonable offer, and quickly. This shouldn't be hard to get done at all.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

lol, he's not getting a blockbuster deal here, that's for sure. Take your Larry Foote money, or go be like Larry Foote and play somewhere else for a year, for the same amount of money, then realize you fucked up.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Timmons leaves and Vince Williams gets beat like a drum in coverage - it is gonna get ugly around here. To me, Vince Williams is guy the other team isolates in coverages and just goes at him all day long.

Be interesting to see if the Steelers replace Timmons with another LB in the draft or if they go with a safety/CB and maybe drop Davis or Mitchell down a level in their nickel looks.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

If Timmons leaves and Vince Williams gets beat like a drum in coverage - it is gonna get ugly around here. To me, Vince Williams is guy the other team isolates in coverages and just goes at him all day long.

Be interesting to see if the Steelers replace Timmons with another LB in the draft or if they go with a safety/CB and maybe drop Davis or Mitchell down a level in their nickel looks.
    Timmons stepped up his play in 2016 compared to 2015 but the reason the Steelers took the full cap hit on his salary this past year was that he has been in decline and the Steelers did not want to defer having dead money on the books for him after this past season

The end stage of Timmons career reminds me of Farrior, who was bad in 2009, improved in 2010, then declined drastically in his final year in 2011 - someone will overpay him but it should not be the Steelers

The finances are one important factor. The other thing is that I honestly believe that in 2017 Timmons will be a better overall LB than Vince Williams will be. Now in 2018? Who knows.

I think for many of the reasons stated, Timmons is going to be on another team next year.

My immediate reaction to that is how do they "hide" Williams in pass coverage?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

this is also Timmons. Seeing Williams beat like a drum is the cheaper alternative. I feel like our best case scenario is managing to upgrade instantly at ILB with a guy like Haason Reddick, or we really need to fortify the defense everywhere else to compensate. No defense last season was bulletproof honestly. We can still be a really good defense with one achilles heel
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The finances are one important factor. The other thing is that I honestly believe that in 2017 Timmons will be a better overall LB than Vince Williams will be. Now in 2018? Who knows.

I think for many of the reasons stated, Timmons is going to be on another team next year.

They draft an athletic ILB early in this draft like Reddick or Foster.

Or....They draft a hybrid safety that they can move all over the field, play on third downs and be versatile enough to stay on the field on first and second downs in spots, and keep the snaps of Vince Williams to a minimum.

Or both.

Williams isn't going to like it, but I'm with you. I see him as a liability in coverage.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Safety covers the tight end like they should be doing anyway, unless the tight end is a completely incompetent receiver.

Shazier covers the underneath stuff out of the backfield unless the RB is a completely incompetent receiver.

This is not rocket science. Unfortunately, our coaches aren't rocket scientists.

But seriously, I'm not that worried. Williams has been on the field roughly as much as any of our other LBs over the past three seasons, and it's not like that killed us. Just like always with him, he may not look cut out for the job, but he manages somehow.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Fins have over $40 million in cap room. He seems as good as gone. Hopefully he signs a mega-contract so we get another 3rd round pick next season

I wouldn't be so sure he's gone. Not the first time the Steelers have let a free agent test free agency. I still believe he'll be back.

Junior Member Array title="tube68 is an unknown quantity at this point">

They may pull a late phone call like what they did with Ryan Clark. That comp pick has changed their outlook on free agency. Forgot to post the article link about that

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure he's gone. Not the first time the Steelers have let a free agent test free agency. I still believe he'll be back.

Usually when one of our free agents actually starts talking to other teams, that means he'll be signing somewhere else 2 minutes after the start of free agency. The chances he'll be back are slim and none. Looks like another linebacker is in the cards for this year's draft.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Usually when one of our free agents actually starts talking to other teams, that means he'll be signing somewhere else 2 minutes after the start of free agency. The chances he'll be back are slim and none. Looks like another linebacker is in the cards for this year's draft.

In 2010, Ryan Clark had visited another team before signing with the steelers.Same thing for Ike Taylor in 2011.

Sometimes you visit another team for a question of leverage

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Fins have over $40 million in cap room. He seems as good as gone. Hopefully he signs a mega-contract so we get another 3rd round pick next season

Hope so, because we lost our R6.

BurghBoy412

Hightower??
    Last edited by BurghBoy412; 03-09-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurghBoy412 View Post
    Hightower??
    I think Hightower is going to demand too much money based on the success of the Patriots. However I think he's a liability in pass coverage and I am not high on him in general. Definitely not worth the money. I would rather roll with Vince Williams than to sign Hightower and put that much money onto the cap by paying him big bucks.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think Hightower is going to demand too much money based on the success of the Patriots. However I think he's a liability in pass coverage and I am not high on him in general. Definitely not worth the money. I would rather roll with Vince Williams than to sign Hightower and put that much money onto the cap by paying him big bucks.

Agreed, I'd surely pass and go draft. But I do think the Steelers liked him in the draft, hopefully they don't anymore.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    But I do think the Steelers liked him in the draft, hopefully they don't anymore.
    Keith Butler LOVED Hightower in that draft.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Im keeping Timmons unless hes wanting stupid money

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...ight=hightower

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Hightower is basically a slightly more talented Vince Williams.

He's a very good player. He's tough in the box and against the run. The problem is that he isn't great in coverage. That's exactly the problem we have now with the current personnel on the roster at his position. Why in the world would they want to spend a ton of cash for a slight upgrade when they can draft a much more athletic player to develop and have him cheap for four years?

Butler must see something that I just don't see. He is vulnerable against the pass.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Hightower is basically a slightly more talented Vince Williams.

He's a very good player. He's tough in the box and against the run. The problem is that he isn't great in coverage. That's exactly the problem we have now with the current personnel on the roster at his position. Why in the world would they want to spend a ton of cash for a slight upgrade when they can draft a much more athletic player to develop and have him cheap for four years?

Butler must see something that I just don't see. He is vulnerable against the pass.
    That was 2012... his opinion might be different now.

BurghBoy412

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Why would we want a cop on our team?

LMAO!!!