Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers are interested in bringing back Lawrence Timmons

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers are interested in bringing back Lawrence Timmons

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Steelers are interested in bringing back Lawrence Timmons

Me too.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Me 3, he played great down the stretch.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Plainly put, you cannot get rid of all veteran leadership. Who calls the front 7 defensive plays? Was it Cam before the injury?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

i dont know how i feel about this. every year for about 3-4 consecutive years, Timmons had started extremely slow. This season he was a huge culprit to our defensive struggles in the 1st half of the season. He looked like his old self in the 2nd half of the season. I feel like were paying for a Jekyll and Hyde every season. I hope we dont sign him any longer than 2 years, for more than $5 million/season. Low guaranteed money please.

Fun fact: Timmons is the 4th highest paid inside linebacker in the league. Everyone ahead of him is hilariously better (Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Navorro Bowman). Wagner and Bowman are only getting paid about $1 million more a year than Timmons.

If we unexpectedly want to spend in free agency to really complete our defense: Zach Brown, Donta Hightower, or Kevin Minter would be good options. Minter I feel like could come cheaper than expected, the cardinal linebackers in general just seem to fly under the radar. Then you also have D'Qwell Jackson as a really cerebral stopgap that would be way cheaper than Timmons while we groom a new starter next to Shazier (question is, do we want to do something like when Ben is close to done?).

I wonder if Keenan Robinson on the giants is actually good or not. Lots of starting experience, including this year for a really good giants defense. But all i can find on the web about him is how inconsistent to awful he has been in the past with the redskins. Anyone know more about this kid?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

keep him

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i dont know how i feel about this.
    Anyone know more about this kid?
    You make some very good points.

That said, Timmons is Tomlin's favorite player. So, he's not going anywhere. It's the human side of coaching.

Even Belichick is guilty of it. He kept Jerod Mayo a few years too long... because, Mayo is his all-time favorite player.

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

It's reported the Iggles are shopping Mychal Kendricks. What do you guys think about him?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I wouldn't mind Timmons re-signing but if he didn't, I wouldn't be too upset. I also wouldn't mind Hightower as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Hightower is going to run about 12 million per year or more. Not sure that I want an ILB with limited coverage ability to get paid that much. And yes, I realize that Timmons was making that much last year - but that is the reason everyone was complaining about his contract and questioning whether or not he will return.

A 2 or 3 down ILB can't take up the money that Hightower will command.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    It's reported the Iggles are shopping Mychal Kendricks. What do you guys think about him?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    thats a big contract to pick up...4 year extension in 2015 for $29 million and $16.4 million in guarantees
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

im a big timmons fan and i think he has been solid his whole career...hes had some injuries but over all hes very dependable

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hightower is going to run about 12 million per year or more. Not sure that I want an ILB with limited coverage ability to get paid that much. And yes, I realize that Timmons was making that much last year - but that is the reason everyone was complaining about his contract and questioning whether or not he will return.

That would make him the highest paid or 2nd highest paid inside linebacker in the league behind only Luke Kuechly: http://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/

I doubt that. But I agree that he will probably be out of our price range

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

$12M per season? What makes you think it will be that much. I had him pegged more in the range of $6-8M...which I think was less than Timmons made in 2016. But for whatever reason he's pulling in $12M a season, he's not worth close to that money imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Keep him draft his replacement and let Timmons do some coaching on the young padawan

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is my thinking for Hightower and his contract:

1. Jamie Collins got about $12.5 million per from the Browns.
    2. Hightower has said he wants to get paid and get paid a lot. He has turned $10 million or so per year from the Pats twice according to reports.
    3. FA's from SB winning teams always get a bit of a "bump" on the market.
    4. Hightower's market value is about $10 million per year due to rising salary cap next few years.

Take all that together and Hightower would be foolish to sign for anything less than $12 million per year over say the next 4 years. This will be his last "big" contract.

Here is my thinking for Hightower and his contract:

1. Jamie Collins got about $12.5 million per from the Browns.
    2. Hightower has said he wants to get paid and get paid a lot. He has turned $10 million or so per year from the Pats twice according to reports.
    3. FA's from SB winning teams always get a bit of a "bump" on the market.
    4. Hightower's market value is about $10 million per year due to rising salary cap next few years.

Take all that together and Hightower would be foolish to sign for anything less than $12 million per year over say the next 4 years. This will be his last "big" contract.
    Oh geez, i hope Timmons doesnt see all of this

the other thing that really bothers me about people who clamor for re-signing Timmons with a big part of the logic being that Vince Williams supposedly cant cover (i think he's really shown improvement there) is the fact that when we strip some of the linebackers off the field to add another DB in our nickel/dime packages, Timmons is frequently the one who comes off anyways. Is it really that big of a deal to let loose a guy who:

1) Is on the wrong side of 30?
    2) Seems to start the past several seasons extremely poorly?
    3) Has become victimized in the passing game?
    4) Is taken off the field in subpackages, which are basically our base defense anyways?
    5) Is probably going to cost a lot (recalling the fact that the steelers and Timmons tried to reach an extension agreement last season and reportedly weren't even close)?
    6) May have viable replacements that are younger and the same price/cheaper on the FA market?

I mean im not trying to tell people to think one way or another because im still torn on this one, but im still leaning 60% of the way on letting Timmons walk. That money could potentially go towards shoring up his spot or another position in ways that could more than make up for his loss. The way I always try to look at potential free agency losses at the fundamental level are: 1) how good is this player? 2) how consistent/healthy is this player? 3) how old is this player? 4) how much is this player? And perhaps one of the most important one....5) how much will we miss this player if he's gone?

Timmons gets questionable marks in all of these areas from me at this stage of his career assuming that his past couple of seasons indicate a trend. Timmons is one of the highest paid ILB's in the league right now and the people ahead of him are so much better than him (Kuechly, Wagner, Bowman). There are players out there at lower pricetags who could be much brighter all-around long term solutions, especially in coverage. I did want Danny Trevathan last season and although his season ended halfway, he came quite a bit cheaper than Timmons. At the end of the day, i think keeping Timmons and not signing/drafting a viable replacement is the worst move we could do but that could turn out fine anyhow. My preference would still be either: 1) Sign Kevin Minter or some other good/young free agent ILB that would cost less than Timmons 2) Or give Williams/Matakevich a chance 3) Give Williams/Matakevich a chance and draft an heir apparent

Just my 2 cents

the other thing that really bothers me about people who clamor for re-signing Timmons with a big part of the logic being that Vince Williams supposedly cant cover (i think he's really shown improvement there) is the fact that when we strip some of the linebackers off the field to add another DB in our nickel/dime packages, Timmons is frequently the one who comes off anyways. Is it really that big of a deal to let loose a guy who:

1) Is on the wrong side of 30?
    2) Seems to start the past several seasons extremely poorly?
    3) Has become victimized in the passing game?
    4) Is taken off the field in subpackages, which are basically our base defense anyways?
    5) Is probably going to cost a lot (recalling the fact that the steelers and Timmons tried to reach an extension agreement last season and reportedly weren't even close)?
    6) May have viable replacements that are younger and the same price/cheaper on the FA market?

I mean im not trying to tell people to think one way or another because im still torn on this one, but im still leaning 60% of the way on letting Timmons walk. That money could potentially go towards shoring up his spot or another position in ways that could more than make up for his loss. The way I always try to look at potential free agency losses at the fundamental level are: 1) how good is this player? 2) how consistent/healthy is this player? 3) how old is this player? 4) how much is this player? And perhaps one of the most important one....5) how much will we miss this player if he's gone?

Timmons gets questionable marks in all of these areas from me at this stage of his career assuming that his past couple of seasons indicate a trend. Timmons is one of the highest paid ILB's in the league right now and the people ahead of him are so much better than him (Kuechly, Wagner, Bowman). There are players out there at lower pricetags who could be much brighter all-around long term solutions, especially in coverage. I did want Danny Trevathan last season and although his season ended halfway, he came quite a bit cheaper than Timmons. At the end of the day, i think keeping Timmons and not signing/drafting a viable replacement is the worst move we could do but that could turn out fine anyhow. My preference would still be either: 1) Sign Kevin Minter or some other good/young free agent ILB that would cost less than Timmons 2) Or give Williams/Matakevich a chance 3) Give Williams/Matakevich a chance and draft an heir apparent

Just my 2 cents
    Alonso from Miami plays a lot like Kuechly but would/should be much cheaper. Just a thought. He played well against us with a club for a hand in the wildcard.

What if Timmons comes back for like 5 million?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Alonso from Miami plays a lot like Kuechly but would/should be much cheaper. Just a thought. He played well against us with a club for a hand in the wildcard.
    perfect. i remember you bringing him up a while ago. although i think the dolphins recently trading for him so recently would put a damper on that idea i would take him in a heartbeat if he came at basically Timmons current contract. Feel like he'd come in at less based on what the top guys make

- - - Updated - - -

What if Timmons comes back for like 5 million?

per year?

perfect. i remember you bringing him up a while ago. although i think the dolphins recently trading for him so recently would put a damper on that idea i would take him in a heartbeat if he came at basically Timmons current contract. Feel like he'd come in at less based on what the top guys make

- - - Updated - - -

per year?
    Yeah.

Yeah.

id be ok with that as long as its 1 or 2 years. or one of those 3 year deals we've been favoring with veteran players that are easy to opt out of fairly painlessly. id just prefer that we move on and actually do something with the money that will instantly help the defense at ILB or in other areas. i honestly wouldnt be surprised for example if signing captain munnerlyn and alex okafor/alex minter would cost only a little bit more than what timmons wants from us. if that turns out to be true, wouldnt you take that deal?

id be ok with that as long as its 1 or 2 years. or one of those 3 year deals we've been favoring with veteran players that are easy to opt out of fairly painlessly. id just prefer that we move on and actually do something with the money that will instantly help the defense at ILB or in other areas. i honestly wouldnt be surprised for example if signing captain munnerlyn and alex okafor/alex minter would cost only a little bit more than what timmons wants from us. if that turns out to be true, wouldnt you take that deal?
    Yeah, I could be talked into that. But I figure Munnerlyn alone will want what they are likely willing to give Timmons. He was making 4.2 million last year. Figure he wants a raise. So 5-6 per on the FA market? I'm operating under the assumption that Steelers are only going to go 4-5 for Timmons.

Plus, unless I am wrong, Minter is a 2 down ILB at worst and shaky coverage skills at best - isn't that basically Timmons or Williams at this point?

I like your proposed deal structure for Timmons. Then draft and develop a sideline to sideline replacement for him.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

I dont think timmons is gonna try to break our bank...hes not one of "those guys"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I love Timmons but I would love to see a younger, quicker, and more athletic ILB to pair with Shazier.

I've never been a fan of Hightower. I don't think he's worth the money. He's also not great in coverage and is a guy they get off the field or try to protect in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    I dont think timmons is gonna try to break our bank...hes not one of "those guys"

all evidence to the contrary

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...mmons-contract

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I will put it here anyways.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...O/OkafAl00.htm

Why does anyone have any interest in bringing this guy in? Okafor has done almost nothing as a pro and the Cardinals have brought in 2 guys to replace him in Chandler Jones and Markus Golden.

If Jarvis Jones isn't going to cut it, why should this guy? He has almost no record of NFL production.

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I will put it here anyways.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...O/OkafAl00.htm

Why does anyone have any interest in bringing this guy in? Okafor has done almost nothing as a pro and the Cardinals have brought in 2 guys to replace him in Chandler Jones and Markus Golden.

If Jarvis Jones isn't going to cut it, why should this guy? He has almost no record of NFL production.
    Not necessarily a want, but the Cards used him as a DE. In 2012 at Texas, he played OLB and had great success. He hasn't been used in that role since for some reason. I don't know if he could play 3-4 OLB or not. He hasn't been much of a DE though.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Not necessarily a want, but the Cards used him as a DE. In 2012 at Texas, he played OLB and had great success. He hasn't been used in that role since for some reason. I don't know if he could play 3-4 OLB or not. He hasn't been much of a DE though.
    He is listed as LB in 2014 and 2015. In '14 it seems like he had some success with 8 sacks over 13 games. But then has totally flamed out since.

Jarvis Jones had success at college as well. Just sayin'. I mean if he wants to come to camp and compete for a spot for not a lot of money, then great. Can't hurt anything.

But they can't bring in a "meh" guy like Okafor and then sit back and do nothing else.