Thread: Falcons Fire Defensive Coaches

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Falcons Fire Defensive Coaches

Let the scapegoating begin

Falcons defensive coordinator Richard Smith and defensive line coach Bryan Cox have been fired by the Atlanta Falcons, according to the team.

Smith, a veteran coach, may stay on in an advisory capacity, but assessing his options.

The Falcons are considering three internal candidates in secondary coordinator Jerome Henderson, defensive backs coach Marquand Manuel and linebackers coach Jeff Ulbrich.

The Falcons pointed out that the decision to dismiss Smith and Cox was not based on the defense’s collapse in the Super Bowl.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/s...MGIAXDGwA5d8M/

Of course it had nothing to do with being outscored 31 - 0 after going up 28-3 in the third quarter

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Re: Falcons Fire Defensive Coaches

Would they have fired Shanahan if he hadn't left for the Niners? Probably not and he was the biggest reason for that loss.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Would they have fired Shanahan if he hadn't left for the Niners? Probably not and he was the biggest reason for that loss.
    Can't really fault Shanahan for Ryan's complete lack of pocket awareness which cost them big on the turnover that the Patriots turned into cheap points and getting knocked out of FG range with a chance to basically ice the game.

I wish we'd follow the Falcons lead and can Danny Smith at a minimum...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Shanahan had some goodwill in the bank with an offense that averaged 33 points per game that the defensive coordinator did not

But the claim the choke job had nothing to do with this is laughable - Falcons now looking for a D-coordinator while other teams with new HCs are putting together staffs

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Can't really fault Shanahan for Ryan's complete lack of pocket awareness which cost them big on the turnover that the Patriots turned into cheap points and getting knocked out of FG range with a chance to basically ice the game.

I wish we'd follow the Falcons lead and can Danny Smith at a minimum...
    Shanahan deserves the blame for not running the ball more in the second half, especially on 3rd and 1. The OL also did a shitty job of protecting Ryan when he did drop back to pass.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah Shanny's play-calling was awful. You are in field goal range up 8 with less than 5 minutes, run the ball, none of this dropping back crap especially after you saw what happened earlier up 16, and 5 rushes after taking a 28-3 lead? Really? Plus why not run on 3rd and 2, worst case scenario, you get stopped run off 40 seconds and barring a breakdown on special teams you make them drive down the field. At the time of that fumble I thought "The Falcons just saved the Pats at least 2 extra minutes, probably more"

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would not be happy as a fan. The Falcons are already facing the post SB hangover, which stats show is real. Now they replace the OC and DC that got them there. After the way that game was lost, I would be thinking next season will be a very long shot to get back. Depressing.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I would not be happy as a fan. The Falcons are already facing the post SB hangover, which stats show is real. Now they replace the OC and DC that got them there. After the way that game was lost, I would be thinking next season will be a very long shot to get back. Depressing.
    Yep. The odds of a Super Bowl loser coming back is very low. Only the Bills, Vikings, Broncos and Dolphins have made it back and only the Dolphins have come back and won after losing the SB the previous year.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Shanahan deserves the blame for not running the ball more in the second half, especially on 3rd and 1. The OL also did a shitty job of protecting Ryan when he did drop back to pass.
    Perhaps, but I've never seen an All-Pro QB with so little pocket awareness. I mean, the guy seems to literally have NO feel for when there's a heavy rush coming or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Atlanta won the division next year. Atlanta's offense will regress as will Matt Ryan without Shanny (just like how Matt Schaub among other QBs Shanny coordinated regressed after he left them). Also Julio Jones will have toe surgery and could very easily regress himself. Add the fact that they have to contend with the Bucs who have improved every year under Jamies Winston and could improve with more young talent and the Panthers who have just past the post Super Bowl hangover and have the talent to bounce back

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don't think they will either but I think they are better off than the Panthers were...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I'd be very surprised if Atlanta won the division next year. Atlanta's offense will regress as will Matt Ryan without Shanny (just like how Matt Schaub among other QBs Shanny coordinated regressed after he left them). Also Julio Jones will have toe surgery and could very easily regress himself. Add the fact that they have to contend with the Bucs who have improved every year under Jamies Winston and could improve with more young talent and the Panthers who have just past the post Super Bowl hangover and have the talent to bounce back
    i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt make the playoffs at all
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt make the playoffs at all
    Me neither