Thread: Steelers release Justin Gilbert

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers release Justin Gilbert

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Steelers release Justin Gilbert

Has to be a reason to flat out release him at this time during the offseason.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Junior Member Array title="tube68 is an unknown quantity at this point">

His last name is really Boykin. So much for that experiment.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Glad they gave him a chance. I wish him well and hope he does great for who ever he lands with.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Doesn't he count against the cap in terms of dead money?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Wow - there's a shot. If anyone thinks the players do not keep track about what the media reports, note that Joe Thomas is following the twitter account of a NFL Network reporter in the offseason.

So a fifth round pick for Boykin and a sixth round pick for Gilbert, both presumably prompted by Golson being unable to stay healthy.

Those admittedly are lower value picks to trade away, but I recall the Patriots once had a sixth round pick in the 2000 draft turn out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Yep

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Yes unless someone claims off the wavier wire. Let's hope that's the case.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    wow. and Joe Thomas is a nice guy. we must have really underestimated Gilbert's work ethic if even he has to have his say.

that being said, i read in the comments somewhere that this could be a means to try to sign Gilbert to a more cap friendly deal? Anyone who understands the logistics better know if that even makes any sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Now the reports are that the Steelers ARE NOT on the hook for any cap hit, this year or next.

Update:

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Now the reports are that the Steelers ARE NOT on the hook for any cap hit, this year or next.
    The battle of the tweets!!!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Update:

Since Gilbert in 2017 is on the last year of his rookie deal that included a signing bonus I always thought teams could not run away from the prorated portion of that bonus by releasing the player

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Salary cap or no salary cap impact, I don't like this move. Assuming there is nothing "damning" that we don't know about Gilbert, other than he is kinda lazy and super dumb, what's the harm in running him through one off-season cycle and see if he can yield any value?

I mean Jordan Dangerfield gets to stay on the roster and he stinks. But he does work hard, so maybe its a messaging thing to a young team?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Details will come out soon.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Salary cap or no salary cap impact, I don't like this move. Assuming there is nothing "damning" that we don't know about Gilbert, other than he is kinda lazy and super dumb, what's the harm in running him through one off-season cycle and see if he can yield any value?

I mean Jordan Dangerfield gets to stay on the roster and he stinks. But he does work hard, so maybe its a messaging thing to a young team?
    Meh, it's just an excuse by the Cheerleader not to use a guy from the defense to return kicks. FFL!!! Frenchy 4 Life!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Since Gilbert in 2017 is on the last year of his rookie deal that included a signing bonus I always thought teams could not run away from the prorated portion of that bonus by releasing the player
    Yeah that's what I (and many others) thought also, but the details will come out sooner or later.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Yea, I really don't know why we didn't just keep him on the roster through training camp. I don't understand this move.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Yea, I really don't know why we didn't just keep him on the roster through training camp. I don't understand this move.
    Maybe this?

Gilbert ... had a $1.2-million roster bonus due in March.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...justin-gilbert

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe this?

Looks like you find the winner!

That makes too much sense to not be the case.

Senior Member Array title="WCSteeler is on a distinguished road">

The Steelers must be assuming Golson will be ready for 2017, Gilbert seemed like a rental anyway

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Maybe he said something about the defense being called in the AFC Title Game?
    All Defense!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I think they will bring him back if he clears waivers.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Maybe this?

There you go. That has to be it. I do hope that they try to re-sign him though. If not, oh well. Such a big waste of talent.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I think they will bring him back if he clears waivers.
    Those cheap Rooneys!!!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah if we could stop trading for CBs late in training camp, that would be greeaat

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

We need to stop wasting picks on rentals that we just release at the end of the season. Two years in a row now with a wasted late round pick.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    We need to stop wasting picks on rentals that we just release at the end of the season. Two years in a row now with a wasted late round pick.
    It wouldn't be quite as bad if we even USED the player at all. We're just renting CBs to sit on the bench all year.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    It wouldn't be quite as bad if we even USED the player at all. We're just renting CBs to sit on the bench all year.
    I know, it's maddening.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk